WorldNavalShips .com Home Page
Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket


FREE worldwide shipping for orders over £120
Naval History by Country :
ROYAL
NAVY
US
NAVY
GERMAN
NAVY
FRENCH
NAVY
MORE
PAGES
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART
Ship Search by Name :
Product Search         

HMS Edinburgh


[UP] - HMS Colossus - HMS Edinburgh

HMS Edinburgh, Royal Naval battleship with sister ship HMS Colossus, built at Pembroke Dockyard and launched 1882 completed October 1886. HMS Edinburgh first served in the Mediterranean from 1887-94 and then on return to Britain she was used as a coastguard ship at both Hull and Queensferry from 1894-97. HMS Edinburgh was placed in reserve from 1897-99 and reused as a tender to HMS Wildfire at Sheerness from 1899-1905. HMS Edinburgh was in Special Reserve at Chatham in 1906 and was then used as a target ship in 1908 before being sold in 1910. 

Both Colossus and Edinburgh had their heavy guns in turrets.

Displacement: 9,420 tons.    Length: 325ft.     Beam:68ft.     Draught: 26' 3".    Guns: Four 45 ton BLR, five 6 inch guns ten 3 pounder quick-firers, and has a partial belt of armour from 18 to 14 ins.    Horse power: 7,500 hp.    Speed: 14.2 knots.   Complement: 289.

HMS EDINBURGH

18TH MARCH 1882 SOLD FOR B/U 11TH OCTOBER 1910

HMS Duke of Edinburgh - Name History

The fourth “EDINBURGH” was a twin-screw turret ship, built at Pembroke as the “Majestic” in 1882.  She was of 9150 tons, 6000 horse-power, 14 knots of speed, and carried four 43-ton guns.  Her length, beam, and draught were 325ft., 68ft., and 26ft.   In her later years this ship was attached to the Sheerness-Chatham Gunnery School.   She was sold at Devonport in October 1910 for £19,300. 

HMS Edinburgh, 1887.

A large image size 10" x 7" approx, is available.  Reproduced from the original negative / photo under license from MPL, the copyright holder.  A signed numbered certificate is supplied. Price £25.   Order photograph here   Order Code  XMP127

Original republished © MPL Photograph (Postcard Size).  Price £5 Click here to order.  Order Code  MP127

HMS Edinburgh, 1887.

A large image size 10" x 7" approx, is available.  Reproduced from the original negative / photo under license from MPL, the copyright holder.  A signed numbered certificate is supplied. Price £25.   Order photograph here   Order Code  XMP128

Original republished © MPL Photograph (Postcard Size).  Price £5 Click here to order.  Order Code  MP128

HMS Edinburgh, 1887.

A large image size 10" x 7" approx, is available.  Reproduced from the original negative / photo under license from MPL, the copyright holder.  A signed numbered certificate is supplied. Price £25.   Order photograph here   Order Code  XMP129

Original republished © MPL Photograph (Postcard Size).  Price £5 Click here to order.  Order Code  MP129

HMS Edinburgh, September, 1895

HMS Edinburgh Coastguard Ship at Queensferry

The Edinburgh was a steel second-class battleship, completed for sea in 1886. She was built at Pembroke Dockyard and engined by Messrs Humphreys & Tennant. In 1896 the Edinburgh was commanded by Captain John R E Pattison, and her sister ship Colossus was Coastguard Ship at Holyhead under Captain Edward H M David CMG at this time.

Original Photographic image from quality magazine published in 1896 image  size 10" x 8" approx , plus title and specifications. price £20 plus £3 post for UK £10 overseas, recorded airmail  order number ANV1170 order photograph here

Thomas Huntley Wood of HMS Edinburgh during the celebrations for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

Many thanks to David Wood, whose great grandfather is the subject of the photograph.

The photograph was taken in 1897 as stated above, whilst the ship was based at Spithead (Galway Bay).  This and other photographs were taken of him due to his stalwart appearance as  the photographer thought he epitomised what a sailor should look like.  This photo then appeared in Navy and Army Illustrated and as far as he was aware that was the end of it but then in 1898 it reappeared as an advert for Players Navy Cut cigarettes which again surprisingly also appeared in the Navy and Army Illustrated.  This kind of rankled with him as he hadn't given permission for the use of the photograph so he contacted Players complaining of this and after some communication they agreed to pay him and also sent him some "baccy" to test its qualities.  They then launched an advertising campaign for Players Navy Cut cigarettes based on the image above which became one of the most recognised brands of all time.  The rest as they say is history.

 

Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Cookie Policy
Privacy Policy

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email: cranstonorders -at- outlook.com

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page