WorldNavalShips .com Home Page
Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Naval History by Country :
ROYAL
NAVY
US
NAVY
GERMAN
NAVY
FRENCH
NAVY
MORE
PAGES
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART
Ship Search by Name :
Product Search         
ALWAYS GREAT OFFERS :
20% FURTHER PRICE REDUCTIONS ON HUNDREDS OF LIMITED EDITION ART PRINTS
BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE ON THOUSANDS OF PAINTINGS AND PRINTS
FOR MORE OFFERS SIGN UP TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
German WW2 Icebreakers World Naval Ships Forums Archive


German WW2 Icebreakers


Posts 1 to 13



I am looking for information and pictures of the German WW2 icebreakers: EISBAR, CASTOR, POLLUX and EISVOGEL. Seems there is not much information (at least in English) available about them. Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated. Its been awhile since I posted here. I'm just finishing a voyage to the Persian Gulf/Middle East I'll have more time to enjoy this forum as I'll be home for awhile. Cheers, Kevin


Hello Kevin, not knowledge, I am afraid, of the Icebreakers you mention. Will have a `sniff' for you. But I wonder if you have any info - or interest in the Ice-breaker JACOB LANGEBERG - she is still `alive'. Sadsac


Sailorman: Not a big help, I know, but just out of curiosity, I checked the 1943-44 edition of Jane's Fighting Ships and found no entries for icebreakers in general or the specific ships you named under the German Navy section. They apparently were not considered "fighting ships" by Janes's and may possibly have been civilian ships under hire to the German navy or some auxilliary designation similar to our contract-hire vessels. Good luck with your research, and if you do locate them, we'd no doubt love to see pictures here on the forum...always nice to expand the photo record. Regards,


Hello Kevin, only in German: [B]Gröner: Die Deutschen Kriegsschiffe 1815-1945, Vol. 6, p. 62-64.[/B] There are data & sketches. Greetings Darius


Thank you for the responses. I collect 1/1250 scale ship models and I have a penchant for history's small and obscure vesels. Having been collecting these models since the late 1960s, I have moved on from the famous ships such as HOOD, BISMARCK, YAMATO and the many others that grace the pages of any 20th century naval account. Small unusual auxiliaries are very interesting, although not very exciting to most people and information tends to be sparse. But searching for it provides hours of fun. Kevin


[QUOTE=Darius;130692]Hello Kevin, only in German: [B]Gröner: Die Deutschen Kriegsschiffe 1815-1945, Vol. 6, p. 62-64.[/B] There are data & sketches. Greetings Darius[/QUOTE] Thanks Darius. I guess one of these days I will have to purchase the Groner's books. The German is not a problem, but they are expensive. Kevin


I have seen a pic on the net of CASTOR, looked to be @ that scale....don't know who made it tho. DFO ;)


Here is STETTIN, Ice-breaker. Sadsac
Attachments :



Hello to all, o.k., if you want some data on some other Eisbrecher, look here: [B]Wal[/B]: -http://forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php/topic,10698.msg119273.html#msg119273, [B]Widder[/B] and [B]Delphin[/B]: -http://forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php/topic,12065.0.html, [B]Stettin[/B]: -http://forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php/topic,2263.msg33179.html#msg33179. Greetings Darius


Hi. Groener [url]http://s004.radikal.ru/i207/1009/81/ac0cbef28e2f.jpg[/url] [url]http://s52.radikal.ru/i137/1009/d4/5b1666b1b72a.jpg[/url] [url]http://s48.radikal.ru/i119/1009/08/0f46b33ac218.jpg[/url] Best regards Alex
Attachments :



Here is the Ice Breaker Jacob Langeberg. Now being refurbished in Holland. Sadsac
Attachments :



Hi Kevin, Found this, don't know how accurate ... [FONT=Verdana]German icebreaker "Castor", launched 15.07.39 by F. Schichau, Danzig. In service 15.10.41. 15.03.45 bombed and sunk of Warnemünde by British aircraft. Raised by Sovets and 1951 in service as icebreaker "Peresviet". Further fate wanted. [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]A sister ship - intended name "Pollux" - was planned, but never started. Instead P. Smit jr. in Rotterdam built a "Pollux" of the Finnish "Jääkarhu"-class for the German Navy, which was finished in December 1943.[/FONT]


[QUOTE=Alex Shenec;130988]Hi. Groener [url]http://s004.radikal.ru/i207/1009/81/ac0cbef28e2f.jpg[/url] [url]http://s52.radikal.ru/i137/1009/d4/5b1666b1b72a.jpg[/url] [url]http://s48.radikal.ru/i119/1009/08/0f46b33ac218.jpg[/url] Best regards Alex[/QUOTE] Thanks Alex. Exactly the information I was looking for. Kevin





Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Cookie Policy
Privacy Policy

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Email: cranstonorders -at- outlook.com

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page