WorldNavalShips .com Home Page
Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Naval History by Country :
ROYAL
NAVY
US
NAVY
GERMAN
NAVY
FRENCH
NAVY
MORE
PAGES
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART
Ship Search by Name :
Product Search         
ALWAYS GREAT OFFERS :
20% FURTHER PRICE REDUCTIONS ON HUNDREDS OF LIMITED EDITION ART PRINTS
BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE ON THOUSANDS OF PAINTINGS AND PRINTS
FOR MORE OFFERS SIGN UP TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
Mersey Ferries go to War. World Naval Ships Forums Archive


Mersey Ferries go to War.


Posts 1 to 22



Just been tidying out my cupboard in the den where I have old navy mags going back to the 60s stored, sat down during the tidying to read an article on the Mersey Ferries and in particular about 2 of these boats being issued with bullet proof plating in February 1918. The 2 ferries in question were the "IRIS" and the "DAFFODIL" and on completion these were sent out on an unusual assignment to Zeebrugge to land a storming party to capture the harbour there. Both vessel received terrible punishment from enemy shore based units and many officers and men died in the action. Both ships eventually arrived back at Liverpool in a sorry state, King George V bestowed the "Royal" prefix to both vessels as a reward for their bravery. So next time you board a ferry boat check to see if they have seen service for King/Queen and country--you never know!!!!!!! Regards. Dave.


thanks Dave; i have a feeling that some of them even went to Russia on the Arctic convoys, if i'm not wrong Zamalek was a former ferry? and Ulster Queen? both of which saw through the dreadful PQ17...I am sure there were others too tim


Not only the ferries but looking at the Dunkirk rescue - there are still many small craft on the Thames plying their trade sporting the plate reminding us of their part in that mammoth rescue. Some were the prewar Pleasure Paddle Steamers - Cardiff Queen, Medway Queen to name a couple [I think they were both there] Then of course their were the ships built in Canada originally designed for trade in the Great Lakes but seconded for the war effort and became RFA's - Fort Rosalie, Fort Charlotte, Fort Dunvegan and many others, and they served well into the 60's/70's. Most of the former manned by their owners and crews at the time. All to be saluted and remembered - particularly this time of the year. Dave H


Here's a small photo of Daffodil with the plating. [IMG]http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/images/hmsdaffodil.jpg[/IMG]


Kc - A great little picture of Daffodil that I have not seen before. Here are some postcards that I have of the two former ferries...
Attachments :



here is a bit more information to view:- [url]http://www.merseyside.net/newbrighton/Pages/irisdaffodilferry.htm[/url] and [url]http://www.firstworldwar.com/diaries/zeebrugge_carpenter.htm[/url] and scroll to page 29:- [url]http://www.royalmarinesassociation.org.uk/Documents/RMA%20Newsletter_Nov_08_Reduced.pdf[/url] Little h


Also here is a small set of 4 rare postcards showing damage received by Iris II in action at Zeebrugge, 1918. Apparently the two little ferries were towed by HMS Vindictive until they were near to the Zeebrugge mole when they were cast aside. Iris II pulled up to the mole under heavy fire in order to off-load a company of Royal Marines who were on board. The first attempt failed because of grapple-hooks and ladders that were not large enough for the job. A second attempt was undertaken that was succesfull although costly in terms of casualties. Iris II continued to sustain heavy fire and at one point a shell burst through the deck into an area where 56 marines were preparing to land. 49 were killed and the rest seriously injured. Two Marines - Private Bradford and Lieutenant Hawkins bravely climbed ashore and under heavy fire attempted to secure the ship. Both were killed and Bradford received a posthumous VC. These four postcards show damage inflicted on the ferry during the raid. Dave Hutson could you please see my PM to you.
Attachments :



Terry, it looks as though we were co-incidental in our postings; there is a reference to the RM activity also in the link I have posted. Little h


and the work of the arts in Liverpool regarding these two brave little ferry boats, taken from art in liverpool.com:- [url]http://www.stitchnfriends.co.uk/braveferryboats.htm[/url] Little h


This is an additional postcard showing damage to the Iris that should have gone out with the four I posted previously. Ladders used in the operation to scale the Zeebrugge mole can be seen to the left of the card.
Attachments :



Great pictures, Terry Thanks for sharing them with us


Thanks lads for all the info that you`ve provided about these two ferries,did`nt know anything about this action until I sat down and read about it in this old magazine, we knew about the small ships going to rescue troops off Dunkirk in1940 but I did`nt realise that they used ships/boats of this kind to go into action with troops to secure a position on enemy shores in 1914/18.I have a picture of the IRIS from the mag but its nothing compared to the ones you`ve all put up on the site---great photos and more so the information about them,thanks again. Regards to all Dave.


I have just got hold of this postcard of another Mersey ferry - Bidston - which I understand was built in 1903 and eventually scrapped in 1933. I am not sure what part if any she played in the first world war but I felt it worth posting here.
Attachments :



Terry, you got me searching; she had several persona's and apparently carried on at/from Blackpool 1933 as opposed to being scrapped. Haven't found any war time service references yet though:- [url]http://website.lineone.net/~tom_lee/mindenimg.htm[/url] Little h


Thanks for that Harry - from the link you provided it would appear that she was not actively used by the RN during the war.


Hi all, After a bit of searching....I think this is the right place to post this. (Although I guess it would help searches if [B]"Royal Iris"[/B] was in the thread title.) Of course you, in England, probably already know all about it, but my Aunty just called by today to let me know that she'd heard (from a friend in England) that [B]the poor old Royal Iris Ferry has been languishing in the Thames (and is taking on water) and that there is a petition to try to get her back "home" to where she was loved and fondly remembered...back on the Mersey.[/B] Thus, if you want to check out the latest on her, and maybe sign the petition...here is the link: [url]http://www.royaliris.co.uk/phpPETITION/index.php[/url] Personally, I think that given her history...she is quite an iconic vessel and should be saved. Regards, Bee p.s. Both my Mum and her younger sister have very fond memories of this lovely old ferry and were quite saddened to see the state she's in. :(


[QUOTE=Bee;109647]Hi all, After a bit of searching....I think this is the right place to post this. (Although I guess it would help searches if [B]"Royal Iris"[/B] was in the thread title.) Of course you, in England, probably already know all about it, but my Aunty just called by today to let me know that she'd heard (from a friend in England) that [B]the poor old Royal Iris Ferry has been languishing in the Thames (and is taking on water) and that there is a petition to try to get her back "home" to where she was loved and fondly remembered...back on the Mersey.[/B] Thus, if you want to check out the latest on her, and maybe sign the petition...here is the link: [url]http://www.royaliris.co.uk/phpPETITION/index.php[/url] Personally, I think that given her history...she is quite an iconic vessel and should be saved. Regards, Bee p.s. Both my Mum and her younger sister have very fond memories of this lovely old ferry and were quite saddened to see the state she's in. :([/QUOTE] There is a Facebook group fiercely petitioning for the return of The Royal Iris to be brough back to Liverpool. [url]http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=291068027297[/url] You have to be logged in to see it.


I found these photographs of the [I]Uslter Queen[/I] (as mentioned by Tim in post #2) both before and after her extensive modification. [ATTACH]89872[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]89873[/ATTACH] [SIZE=2][I]Ulster Queen[/I] was heavily converted to a fighter direction ship, and did not return to commercial service after the war. She was laid up, and eventually scrapped in 1950.[/SIZE]
Attachments :



And while we're here, here's a couple of the [I]Tynwald[/I]. [ATTACH]89874[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]89875[/ATTACH] [SIZE=2]The [I]Tynwald[/I] (2,376 gross tons) was built by Vickers Armstrong at Barrow and joined the Isle of Man Steam Packet fleet in June 1937. With her sister ship [I]Fenella [/I]she was intended for the winter service on the Liverpool-Douglas route. Requisitioned as a personnel carrier in September 1939 she served on English Channel routes with her peace-time crew.[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Her first trip to Dunkirk was on May 28, 1940, and her last on June 4. She was the last ship to leave Dunkirk and had a total of 8,953 troops during the operation. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]She was then refitted as an Anti Aircraft ship. Armament 6 – 4 inch AA and 4 – 20mm AA guns, completeing in November 1941.[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]On 5 November 1942 she sailed from Gibraltar under command of Philip George Wodehouse where after she joined the assault convoy on 06 November. S[SIZE=2]he formed part of the naval force supporting Operation Torch, the North Africa landings. [/SIZE]On 8 November she arrived off Algiers C beachhead where she provided anti- aircraft support and she acted also as radar guard ship in which she directed aircraft from the carrier HMS [I]Avenger[/I]. On 10 November sailed from Algiers arrived Bougie 11 November to provide anti-aircraft support and direct aircraft from the carrier HMS [I]Argus[/I]. On 12 November while standing by the monitor HMS [I]Roberts, [/I]the [I]Tynwald[/I] was torpedoed on the starboard side by the Italian submarine [I]Argo[/I], she settled by the bow on the seabed, survivors being rescued by the [I]Roberts[/I] and the corvette [I]Samphire[/I]. 10 men on board the [I]Tynwald[/I] were killed. [/SIZE]
Attachments :



Hi, Just noticed this thread for the Mersey Ferries. I now live in Southport and often go to Liverpool and have been on the Royal Iris so thought id posta picture of her as she is now! Best Regards Andy
Attachments :



As this thread now seems to have broadened from just the Mersey Ferries going to war there were numerous other similar examples. Bill kindly touched on a few others which triggered off some more that I have just remembered. Firstly there was that old Great Western Railway Ferry called SS Lynx that served during WW1 as HMS Lynn. [See first picture] I also remember a completely opposite scenario - an LCT [710] that was hastily converted during WW2 as a Railway Ferry [Picture 2]. I feel sure that if I had the time to research the subject there would be scores of other ferries that went to war.... Even D-Day alone saw the use of many such ships - including the obvious examples such as the pair of large and fast Canadian ferries - Prince David [Picture 3] and Prince Henry that went on to be firstly AMCs and then LSIs. The former French ferry Largs that became an Ocean Boarding LSH [Picture 4]. All the Belgian and Dutch ferries that were used as LSIs - almost too many to mention but including: Queen Emma - [Picture 5] Prins Albert and her sister Prins Baudouin [Picture 6] Princess Josephine Charlotte and Astrid as well as Prins Charles and Leopold - [Picture 7] Then many British ex-railway ferries such as: Princess Margaret [LMS] - [Picture 8] 3 Duke class [LMS] including Duke of Argyll - [Picture 9] Ulster Monarch [Picture 10] and many others including: Isle of Guernsey, Isle of Thanet, Invicta, St Hellier, Canterbury, etc, etc!!!
Attachments :



Here is a clip purporting to show IRIS & DAFFODIL returning to the Mersey, possibly on 17 May 1918. [url]http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=76724[/url]





Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Cookie Policy
Privacy Policy

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Email: cranstonorders -at- outlook.com

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page