WorldNavalShips .com Home Page
Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Naval History by Country :
ROYAL
NAVY
US
NAVY
GERMAN
NAVY
FRENCH
NAVY
MORE
PAGES
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART
Ship Search by Name :
Product Search         
ALWAYS GREAT OFFERS :
20% FURTHER PRICE REDUCTIONS ON HUNDREDS OF LIMITED EDITION ART PRINTS
BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE ON THOUSANDS OF PAINTINGS AND PRINTS
FOR MORE OFFERS SIGN UP TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
RNZN Fairmile Bs and HDMLs World Naval Ships Forums Archive


RNZN Fairmile Bs and HDMLs


Posts 1 to 50



I'm very much indebted to Fairmile B enthusiast, Association member and model-maker RogerP for sending me the first three photos here, HMNZS [I]Mako, P3551[/I], the first of them originally from the album of former crew and Association member, the late Howard Whittaker. Roger himself took the photos of [I]Mako[/I] as she is now, seen here at Melbourne's Docklands, just a few weeks ago I think. She is based in Geelong I understand. The RNZN operated 12 Fairmile Bs during WW11, [I]Q400[/I] to [I]Q411[/I], originally intended as anti-submarine vessels, but employed in two groups in the Solomons in 1944. The boats were sold between 1946 and 1947, although a couple were later re-acquired, [I]Q411[/I] becoming [I]Kahu[/I], P3571, and Q409 becoming first [I]Iris Moana, P 3570[/I], and then [I]Maori[/I]. The New Zealand Navy also had 16 HDMLs, [I]Q1183-Q1194[/I], and [I]Q1348-Q1351[/I], which were laid up in 1945 with 10 retained, and later re-equipped with new Foden diesel engines, lattice masts and radar. Two were converted to survey launches while the others served variously as fishery protection and volunteer reserve training vessels. Some views, with Rogers photos, a few added from books, and enlargement and repairs on several earlier posts: last, great shot, is twice repeated but Q404 should be represented here.
Attachments :



Kookaburra I just love viewing these vessels.. especially in their intended shape. I am having the same enjoyment viewing the Brave boats and the Gay boats of the RN. Many thanks for the thread. Little h


Just a couple of wee corrections to "Kookaburra's" initial post. I think I added a small amount of confusion by sending him quite a number of different links on different subjects, sorry Jeff. Anyway, the late Howard Whittaker served in the RAN on HDML 1321, one of the Aussie built 80 footers. The second and third pics of "Mako" are the ones taken by me over a year ago when she was moored at Williamstown. He is correct in saying she is now in Geelong. As an aside to this thread I have contacted two friends who one served on "Mako" during the 1960s and the other gent, his dad was a young Subbie on ML 404. Hopefully Martyn and John will contribute. Roger P.


Thanks for the clarification Roger, and sorry I mis-read where Howard Whittaker did his service. I really appreciated all the info, very interesting, but realize now that I had a few too many balls in the air when making that post.


Several more for the devoted HDML followers:
Attachments :



Interesting pictures Jeff, but I am a little confused as pictures 1 and 3 both seem to be of P3566?


Pic #3 is 3556 Terry Little h


Ooops - silly me! Thanks guys!


Several more RNZN : Q411, P3554 Maroro; P3555 Tamure; and P3566 [not 3556] Mako.
Attachments :



P3551 is being auctioned this week Here is the link [url]http://www.graysonline.com/Sale.aspx?id=54256[/url] She looks in good nick


P3551 was sold for $110,100 AUD I wish i had some spare cash


Ok when I was a kid in the sea cadets in Wellington I did a couple of trips onboard 72ft ML. One being Parore originally Olphert, but still the local rocky boat. These boats were ok sea boats, crossing the Cook Strait you cast iron guts. Being small boats they lack amenities like showers and a washing machine, bring out the dhoby bucket. A friend at work said his brother served onboard on of these boats as a radio operator. After spending such long hours in a confined compartment he was glad to get drafted off it, to put it mildly.


Hi My name is Dale Raby and am the new servant to the Mako,I see via this website (and being aboard) there is still quite a few people interested in her, so thought that I would give an update. She is now in SE Qld and ran beautifully from Geelong Victoria. Now in warm water so will be looking out for borers and have just taken her out of the water for maintenance. She did have a small hole in her aft that we are repairing, unfortunately it looks as though fresh water got in, though older shipwrights are attending to her and will get her back good as new, overall she is in great nick and a credit to her former owners. Regards Dale


Thanks for that update about her Dale. How about a few good photos to see her in her current glory?? :)


Yes no problem, am givng her a good sanding and re-paint at the moment so will post when done Regards Dale


Hello Dale, Congratulations on being 'Mako's' new owner. I and several Fairmile Association members (I'm a supporting member) had the very great privilege to visit over her and I know David and Amanda the previous owners. They were sad to let go of her, but happy knowing you are keen to maintain her history. On my last visit to her Easter this year I noticed some photo's I hadn't seen previously including one which fairly clearly shows the machine gun mounting for'ard of the charthouse. David may have contacted you about this and I thought I would ask as well -- may I have a copy of that photo if possible? My thing is the research and modelling of Allied Light Coastal Forces craft and HDML 1183 is on my list. The guns are interesting, I haven't seen that particular style previously. Thankyou, Roger Pearson. Bendigo, Victoria. [email]debrogerp@hotmail.com[/email] 03 54478693.


Hi Dale, Congratulations....you have some very envious forum members here :). It might interest you that my late Dad served mostly on Faimile Bs, especially HMML 357, (during WWII Coastal Forces 1942-46), as a Radio Operator. I have put some of his stories on a thread titled "Aegean Memories". My Dad always referred to 357 as an MGB but we believe that she was an ML. (Even their soccer ball in one of his photos has [B]HMML [/B]357 written on it.) Recently we have been in contact with a young man (new forum member) whose parents own the boat yard (in St Osyth) in which 357 still resides. He has told me that she is currently for sale....although I have no idea how much they are asking for her. I'm hoping that when his work permits...he'll make contact again, as his Aunt and Uncle are due to visit Perth, W.A. soon and are going to bring us some recent photos (if we can arrange to meet up.) It's a small world, (and a great forum), isn't it? Regards, Bee p.s. I know HMML 357 wasn't a NZ vessel....but she was still a Fairmile B...so I thought you might be interested. :)


Hi Roger will get that picture am flatout at present, we are fixing a small hole on starboard side and have had to take the shaft out to chase it to fix it properly, also we are sanding and painting her again, so with that and work......Will be on hols though over xmas and will be hopefully out and about on her for 3 weeks, so I will attend to this then Regards Dale Hi Bee thanks and yes I was interested and am in any of these boats still going, it would be great to see what condition it is in. Yes I do like the forum it is great Regards Dale


Hi again Dale, Here's the link to what she (ML 357) was looking like (as a houseboat) in St Osyth, in 2007. [url]http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Fairmile-B_ML357.html[/url] Regards, Bee


Thanks Dale, I look forward to further contact. Roger.


Hi thanks for the link Bee, think I am lucky with the condition of the Mako comparitively speaking! Hi Roger, Bee, all have had to take out the stern tube? Not sure on correct term. It was quite a task though had to be done to chase some rot that had come through a hole in her starboard. I dont think it has ever come out since she was built but to fix properly had no choice. If any body can tell me different then I would appreciate it. Anyway, am now able to look at replacing timbers and get her back in with new paint( have pretty well taken her back to timber) and antifoul and back in water by xmas. As I mentioned earlier, once I get some time I will post some pics, Regards Dale


Dale, We'll be looking forward to seeing the Mako [B]mak[/B]e[B]o[/B]ver pics. after Christmas then :) Hope everything goes well in the meantime. Regards, Bee


Regarding Kookaburra's original pictures of the HDMLs, the 2nd from right also shows the Old HMS/HMNZS Philomel as host ship to the MLs, secured to the Training jetty, out from the dry dock. The photo caption does mention this, but no mention of the HMS/HMNZS prefix, and probably goes unnoticed as the thread is about the MLs etc. She sure looks unloved with all the Sheds on her upper deck, but her rounded stern still looks 'Ship Shaped and Bristol Fashion", if somewhat unusual.


Hi all,a pic from the 1960's of MAKO escorting Chilean barquentine ESMERELDA on one of her visits to NZ.My late brother in law served aboard MAKO as sparker in the 1950's.He also served in cruiser BELLONA,and did a year in Loch-class TAUPO in the Korean war.He always said his time in the ML was the best. Regards to all,Geoff.
Attachments :



Hi Geoff, I have a Kiwi friend who also served on the "Mako" during his RNZNVR service in the 50s and 60s and I'm thinking they probably served together. I tried calling Martyn Robey (lives in Lower Hutt, Wellington) just now and left a message for him to check out the forum so hopefully he will do so.


Hi all,here are another couple of Mako from the 1950's.Actual dates unknown to me,both from late 1950's.Possibly Fishery Protection Squadron review,steaming past Devonport Naval Base,Auckland.Mako was probably the best-known of the MLs,and certainly the most photographed. Regards to all,Geoff.
Attachments :



Sorry about the quality of this image.In her original wartime configuration as Q1183.On coastal patrol,fully armed,1944. Regards to all,Geoff.
Attachments :



Greetings all. I'm very pleased to find this site, and particularly to see the thread about Fairmiles and HDML's. I spent 3 years on Mako in the early 60's and have good memories of her. I recently caught up with a former shipmate of mine who was also on Mako at the same time as me. He was also on Paea. I spent a small amout of time on Tarapunga when I was ships co on board Lachlan Incidentally, Mako was always P3551.: not Tarapunga or other ML's I have some photo's of Mako which I will upload sometime soon. Regards


Hi Geoff. With regards to the 2 shots of Mako that you have in your reply, they were from the 1950's, as the Fishery Protection ML's were painted black on the hulls about 1958/9.(I think, but am open to argument) They were definitely black in 1960. This led to the useage of the name "Black Boats" being used for the Fisheries fleet. In the first instance, there were only Mako and Paea in the fleet. Others were gradually added during the 60's, particularly after HMNZS Tamaki was moved from Motuihi Island to Narrow Neck, and the need for the "Tamaki Taxi's" ended. Regards


The image shown is that of HMNZS Mako leading HMNZS Paea out of Auckland Harbour. 1960
Attachments :



Maybe it could be a little confusing with simular pennant numbers e.g.P3556 Takapu and P3566 Tarapunga.Interestingly,the two boats carrying these numbers worked as a pair for most of their naval careers,and at one time,to lessen the risk of communication errors,for a time, the suffix A and B were added after the numbers.The pennant number allotted to a vessel usually remained with the ship,irrespective of any name change,and were only re-used when that vessel was deleted.When new steel ships were replacing the ageing ML's from 1979,the first ones to be replaced were Takapu and Tarapunga,the two inshore survey ML's.By this time some of the boats had already been sold out of service,so these two boats were renamed Kahawai (II) and Mako(II),freeing up the names for the two new ships,which incidentally had new numbers,Takapu A07 and Tarapunga A08.The naming of the ML's followed a theme,with the Fishery Squadron and RNZNVR boats painted black and having Maori fish names e.g.Mako=shark,and the two survey boats with all-white liveries,and Maori seabird names Takapu=Gannet and Tarapunga=Black-backed gull.For a time in the 1970's Paea was painted white and assisted with hydrographic work.I think at least 8 of the ML's still exist. Regards to all,Geoff.


Hi Geoff, Actually, Tarapunga is a Red-billed Gull, not a black-backed one. Regards


[QUOTE=tomar9;98354]Hi Geoff, Actually, Tarapunga is a Red-billed Gull, not a black-backed one. Regards[/QUOTE] Hi Tomar,goodonya mate! I had since found out my mistake,but was too lazy to do anything about it.Didn't think anybody would notice.... Regards,Geoff.


Hi there,here are some images of the later inshore survey ships [B]Takapu(2)[/B] and [B]Tarapunga(2)[/B] that replaced the two HDMLs of the same names.The 2nd image is of the old and new [B]Takapu [/B] in Milford Sound 1990's.She is in commercial use as a charter vessel.The last two images,previously posted in this thread,ML[B]Q1187[/B] being unloaded at Auckland from the USA in 1944,and in her later form as [B]P3556 Takapu.Tarapunga(1)[/B] also still survives as a private launch. Regards,Geoff.
Attachments :



[QUOTE=kookaburra;55751]Several more for the devoted HDML followers:[/QUOTE] I am somewhat intrigued by the first photo :HMNZS Mako(ex Tarapunga ) 1983 with the pennant number P3566. When I left the RNZN in 1977 Mako was P3551 painted black and Tarapunga was white P3566. The latter was a survey ML , had no lattice mast or radar .. i.e. identical to HMNZS Takapu shown in photo 3. Can someone please enlighten me as to what was the story post 1977.?? Much obliged


Hi Brian,'tis a bit confusing,to be sure.Basically,the two survey MLs [B]Tarapunga[/B] and [B]Takapu[/B] were replaced in 1980 by two new WECO-built steel Moa-class IPCs which were given the same names.The two "White-Boat"MLs were repainted black,fitted with lattice masts and radar,and renamed,becoming [B]Kahawai 2[/B] and [B]Mako 2[/B],whilst still retaining their original pennant numbers P3556 & P3566.The original [B]Mako P3551[/B] and [B]Kahawai P3553[/B] had previously been sold out of service early 1970's.Hope this clarifies things.Best regards,Geoff.


[QUOTE=Geoff Brebner;111329]Hi Brian,'tis a bit confusing,to be sure.Basically,the two survey MLs [B]Tarapunga[/B] and [B]Takapu[/B] were replaced in 1980 by two new WECO-built steel Moa-class IPCs which were given the same names.The two "White-Boat"MLs were repainted black,fitted with lattice masts and radar,and renamed,becoming [B]Kahawai 2[/B] and [B]Mako 2[/B],whilst still retaining their original pennant numbers P3556 & P3566.The original [B]Mako P3551[/B] and [B]Kahawai P3553[/B] had previously been sold out of service early 1970's.Hope this clarifies things.Best regards,Geoff.[/QUOTE] Thanks Geoff, you are a gem ! What a confusing way to have done the change though !! But great to see Mako is still around and going strong. Cheers


We still have two of the original twelve NZ-built Fairmile B's here in New Zealand.One,Q406, reposes inland, refurbished as an up-market motel unit in a theme park.She had spent most of her previous life as [B]Motunui[/B] an Auckland ferry.The other boat,Q411 is still afloat in a dilapidated condition on Auckland Harbour where she has swung on a mooring for many years,waiting for the conversion to a motor yacht that was never completed.Previous to being sold by the RNZN in 1965, she was named [B]Kahu[/B] and used as a harbour transport.Damn,can't find pic of 406,in the meantime here are a couple of [B]Kahu[/B],as she was and as she now is.Regards to all,Geoff.
Attachments :



[QUOTE=Geoff Brebner;111369]We still have two of the original twelve NZ-built Fairmile B's here in New Zealand.One,Q406, reposes inland, refurbished as an up-market motel unit in a theme park.She had spent most of her previous life as [B]Motunui[/B] an Auckland ferry.The other boat,Q411 is still afloat in a dilapidated condition on Auckland Harbour where she has swung on a mooring for many years,waiting for the conversion to a motor yacht that was never completed.Previous to being sold by the RNZN in 1965, she was named [B]Kahu[/B] and used as a harbour transport.Damn,can't find pic of 406,in the meantime here are a couple of [B]Kahu[/B],as she was and as she now is.Regards to all,Geoff.[/QUOTE] Thanks again Geoff, you are a mine of information and have lots I did not know. I look forward to reading a lot more. Cheers


Hi all,I could possibly stand corrected here.Out of the original sixteen launches,ten still exist,and in most cases are still reasonably seaworthy.Here are seven of the survivors-[B]Paea,Tamure,Kuparu,Koura,Haku,Parore,Manga. Paea[/B] and [B]Kuparu[/B] were the last two in commission,they were retired from RNZN service in 1989.More pics to come later.Regards to all,Geoff.
Attachments :



Hello Geoff, Is there any chance you might be able to let us all know where these craft are located now?


Hi there Roger,once again I state I am open to correction,so here goes.I only loosely keep finger on pulse ,so some of this may be out of date.Launches in last posting-Paea P3552 Auckland good condition. Tamure P3555 Ditto Kuparu P3563 Was Auckland but believe now near Helensville in poor condition. Manga P3567 Helensville ditto possibly same owner. Koura P3564 Paeroa, Wellington owner, immobile,poor condition. Haku P3565 Auckland ? Converted to ketch-rigged yacht r/n Black Watch. Parore P3562 S. Island,Picton or Nelson Then there are- Takapu P3566 Port Chalmers Very good order,commercial use. Tarapunga P3556 Nelson? supposedly good order. In addition there are two launches sold in 1945-46--Q1189 to private ownership,named Alert,still in South Island And Q1351 was sold to become Tauranga ferry Aotearoa,later to Auckland to become ferry Pakatoa.Possibly now in Bay of Islands,North Auckland.Both of these two launches were extensively rebuilt for commercial use.So that gives us more than I thought,but bear in mind some of the more shaky ones may now be derelict.I know Manga and Kuparu were reported to be in poor condition.Hard to believe about Kuparu,because the Devonport Dockyard gave her a massive refit before deciding to sell her early 2000's. She was to be a museum exhibit at the Navy Museum.Hope this helps,regards,Geoff.


Hello all,of course I forgot to mention [B]Mako P3551[/B] now residing in sunny Queensland.So that makes a possible twelve out of sixteen of these very reseliant little ships still surviving in various states of repair.Not bad considering they were only built to last for a relatively short period.In 1948 the launches were all reclassified as Seaward Defence (SDML),and in 1950 as part of the (I think)NATO renumbering of Allied warships,they were given new pennant numbers P3551-P3567 and from 1955 were given names.Whilst in naval service,some of the boats had name changes,but always retained the original pennant number.One launch in RNZNVR service [B]Ngapona P3561[/B] was broken up in 1958 after being severely damaged in a grounding.Launch [B]Q1186[/B],sold to private owners in 1946,was converted to a pleasure craft and was last heard of in Sydney in 1960.That leaves [B]Maroro P3554[/B] last heard of in Fiji,wrecked in 1982 and [B]Kahawai P3553[/B] sold out of service in 1976 and broken up and burnt in 1998.Here is a photo of her to finish on.Regards,Geoff.
Attachments :



Hi all,here is the elusive pic of [B]Motunui ex ML406[/B] that I referred to in post#38.This is how she looked as a Waiheke Island, (Auckland)ferry in 1960's.She was later (1980's)fitted with original Fairmile wheelhouse from [B]Kahu[/B] Regards to all,Geoff.
Attachments :



Whilst still with Fairmile ferry conversions,here are two more Waiheke ferries [B]Iris Moana ex ML409[/B] and [B]Ngaroma ex ML402[/B] (underway) at Auckland's ferry terminal 1980's.Both ships were sold to Singapore between 1987 and 1992.I assume [B]Ngaroma[/B] still survives,but [B]Iris Moana[/B],on a voyage to Shri Lanka was captured and subsequently sunk by the Tamill Tiger separatists.The NZ Herald article is from1992 Regards,Geoff. Footnote-The [B]Kahu[/B] previously featured,also belonged to the same ferry company.Bought from the Navy in 1965,she was kept in undercover storage until sold to a private buyer in the 1980's
Attachments :



[QUOTE=Geoff Brebner;111698]Whilst still with Fairmile ferry conversions,here are two more Waiheke ferries [B]Iris Moana ex ML409[/B] and [B]Ngaroma ex ML402[/B] (underway) at Auckland's ferry terminal 1980's.Both ships were sold to Singapore between 1987 and 1992.I assume [B]Ngaroma[/B] still survives,but [B]Iris Moana[/B],on a voyage to Shri Lanka was captured and subsequently sunk by the Tamill Tiger separatists.The NZ Herald article is from1992 Regards,Geoff. Footnote-The [B]Kahu[/B] previously featured,also belonged to the same ferry company.Bought from the Navy in 1965,she was kept in undercover storage until sold to a private buyer in the 1980's[/QUOTE] Thanks again Geoff, you are a gem. I had rather lost trace of the old MLs. great to catch up ... especislly to see dear Mako still looking great and in good hands again.


[QUOTE=RogerP;111597]Hello Geoff, Is there any chance you might be able to let us all know where these craft are located now?[/QUOTE] Hi Roger,PM sent.Regards,Geoff.


Hi Geoff, Thankyou so much for your info and PM, all very much appreciated.


I took this photo of the four Fisheries MLs at Russell, Bay of Islands for the Waitangi Day celebrations 1970. From left : HMNZS Kahawai, Maroro, Haku and Mako
Attachments :



my father Harry Peake served on Q 404 in the Solomon Islands in 1944. here are some pictures. cheers john peake
Attachments :





More Posts


Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Cookie Policy
Privacy Policy

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Email: cranstonorders -at- outlook.com

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page