WorldNavalShips .com Home Page
Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Naval History by Country :
ROYAL
NAVY
US
NAVY
GERMAN
NAVY
FRENCH
NAVY
MORE
PAGES
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART
Ship Search by Name :
Product Search         
ALWAYS GREAT OFFERS :
20% FURTHER PRICE REDUCTIONS ON HUNDREDS OF LIMITED EDITION ART PRINTS
BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE ON THOUSANDS OF PAINTINGS AND PRINTS
FOR MORE OFFERS SIGN UP TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER
RNZN Fairmile Bs and HDMLs - World Naval Ships Forums Archive (Page 2)


RNZN Fairmile Bs and HDMLs (Page 2)


Posts 51 to 100



[QUOTE=john peake;114661]my father Harry Peake served on Q 404 in the Solomon Islands in 1944. here are some pictures. cheers john peake[/QUOTE] John Welcome to the forum and thank you so much for posting those excellent photos. Such gems are a rareity these days. Brian


Hello all,here are a couple of reasonably recent shots of [B]Tarapunga P3566[/B] in private ownership at Picton in the South Island.Obviously under refit,she looks to be in excellent condition.Regards to all,Geoff.
Attachments :



Thankyou to all :D:D, Who have joined and contributed to this thread and made it very interesting reading indeed. It is great to see the possibility of so many of these 'little ships' still with us and in some cases still in very good condition.


And with an Admiral aboard? :confused: The mind boggles ! :rolleyes:
Attachments :



can anyone tell me what timber was used in the hulls of the US built HDMLs. I am aware the Tasmanian built ships were double diagonal huon pine but don't know about the S.A. or US built ships. The British used mahogany I think, ...but they all seemed to last extremely well. cheers john peake


Hello John,re the Kiwi boats,I believe they were all double-diagonal planked in Oregon Pine (Douglas Fir).Over the years,the Devonport Dockyard replaced the outer skin on most (all?) of the boats that the Navy kept with fore-and-aft kauri planking,with calico between. Originally,the decks were of laid planks,these were replaced with 1" marine plywood,with fibreglass sheathing.Most of the heavy hull timbers were of Oregon,with the bridge structure and wheelhouse planked in plywood.Unlike their larger sisters the B-type Faimiles which were all copper and bronze fastened,the planking on the HDML's was fastened with mild steel galvanised bolts. Best regards,Geoff.


thanks Geoff, most interesting. since I asked I learned the AUST HDMLs built in the US were also of Douglas fir so now need to find out about the SA and Canadian ships. cheers john


Great photo (no 54), Geoff. Do you have any info as to when, where and the ships involved? Thanks Tony


Hi Geoff, I like that photo at #54 here too. I just checked out the Admiral's flags...and that's a Rear Admiral flag isn't it? I know that the Fairmile B 357 that my father served on, in WWII had a Vice Admiral Turner onboard for a week whilst they traversed the Corinth Canal. (and thus they flew an Admiral's flag too.) It's something that remained vividly in my father's memory for the rest of his life, as he greatly respected Admiral Turner. For anyone one who may be interested, there is more about Vice Admiral Turner on this forum (including an obituary found by our great forum member, Simon, "Harley", post #9.) : [url]http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4155&highlight=Vice+Admiral+Turner[/url] including pictures of him...both on ML 357 and in later life (when his great Grandson joined the forum and kindly provided some more photos and information.) Regards, Bee


Hello John and Tony.John,re Canadian boats,there were no HDMLs built in Canada,there were many of the Fairmile B however.And Tony,I was led to believe the outside boat is Haku P3565,with Tamure P3555.I am sure the pennant both boats are flying is the Fishery pennant.It would be pre June 1968,note the "old"White Ensign.And taking guess at Marlborough Sounds.And hello to you Bee,nice to have your company! Regards,Geoff.


G'day All, Fairmiles WW2: found another couple of pix which are reasonably sharp. cheers john


g'day All, oops..photos didnt attach... I have resized and trying again. note the absence of forward Rolls 40 mm gun. these were removed in anticipation of replacement Bofors 40mm in transit. however, they were not available . I suspect this was due to heavy US Navy demand for Bofors with the waves of Kamikaze attacks. So the 81st flotilla MLs recd 20 Oerlikons instead. Also interesting that the NZ MLs were repainted on arrival in the theatre with US standard patrol boat colours which can be seen in the earlier photos. cheers john
Attachments :



Great pictures John - especially the first one ML Q409 which I have not seen before. Very many thanks for posting them.


Grandfather served on one with no 1192 what type was that?.


Hello Boy,here is a 1960's photo of [B]P3554 Maroro,[/B] originally ML [B]Q1192[/B] Regards,Geoff.
Attachments :



Hi Geoff, thanks heaps for the photo. If that photo is from the 60 's then that makes it pretty old.


Hil all. Well Paea is alive and kicking and cruising around Auckland. Keith and I bought her from Picton with a great crew of six up the East Coast on a 6 day incredible trip. The adventure of a lifetime for someone like me that's never done anything like that. 50 knott winds through Cook Strait.... and without the heavy radar ... you know.. they don't actually rock that much!!!! That was about 18 months ago and she's she's been living in Auckland and we use her as much as we can, which is quite a bit. She's still painted grey with big black numbers.... she's due to come out of the water to have a hull paint and anti-foul shortly.... We had three weeks cruising her at Christmas around Waiheke Island which was great and Easter at Kawau was just excellent. She attracts heaps of attention and kids just love her. We are very used to the sound of boats of all shapes and sizes circling us when we're at anchor! Keith and I crew her by ourselves - have I learnt heaps about flaking chain, winching anchors and grabbing mooring buoys!!!! And we're pretty good, just the two of us, getting alongside a wharf or another boat!!!!!!! Any photos or stories of her we'd love to hear as I'm compiling as much data as we can get. I've been gathering a bit of old navy stuff - plates, books, we've even got a couple of uniforms and a cap... and she's pretty much as she was. We had the pleasure of taking out some of the 'Ngapona Old Salts' earlier this year- their comment that made me laugh was they said they all used to fit better in the forehead cabin than they do now!!!! That said.. she's a great boat - we have an absolute ball with her and we'd welcome anything you can tell us about our Paea. Heather & Keith Sorry.. tried adding a photo and I'm not quite sure how to.... hmmm.. will try later.


Keith have a look at the PM [Private Message] I have sent you.


So does anyone know which boats they are in Geoffs post a few back - the picture with the two boats on a lean with a distinct lack of water.......(wondering if one is ours.. Paea!).


Hello Heather and Keith,welcome.Re the pic of the stranded MLs,I made contact with the man from whom that intriguing photo came from.He,ex Navy man Gerry Wright is publishing a book about the "Black Boats" and all will be revealed in the book,toward the end of this year.I for one,am eagerly awaiting the book launch. Best regards,Geoff Brebner. PS-Sending you PM.


We have been in touch with Gerry already.... you reminded me I need to send him a piccy of our boat as she is now.......


Heather and Keith. PM sent.


[B][U]HMNZS Kuparu Grounding 1969[/U][/B] Late in 1969 I was C.O. in Mako and we had just finished a refit. We sailed with Kuparu, she had the dockyard staff onboard for her pre-refit trials and on completion they were to transfer to Mako for our post-refit trials. Kuparu had a Lt. Cdr. RNZNVR onboard so for us it was 'follow that boat'. As we neared the Motuihe Channel Kuparu was heading well inside the buoy and straight towards the reef extending from the western side of Motuihe Island. We called on the radio, flashed morse 'U' on the Aldis and sounded 'U' on the horn. ('U= you are standing into danger) . No response. Kuparu came to an abrupt halt. ! I closed and shouted "Do you need my help " The reply was negative. As her pennant numbers were sinking below the waterline I sent an Immediate signal informimg Commodore Auckland and requesting urgent salvage assistance. Whilst waiting we tried a very gentle tow, but soon realised that it was only the rocks keeping her afloat. The cavalry soon arrived in numbers and Mako spent the entire day and evening ferrying stores, personnel and meals from the Naval Base. Kuparu was eased off at High Water about 1400 and beached on a sandy shore round the corner. Work proceeded on her until the next High Water about 0200 the following day. Kuparu was securely tied alongside Mako and we very slowly made our way to the Naval Base, securing her tightly to the jetty. Once lifted out of the water in daylight the vast extent of the damage was seen A huge chunk had been ripped from the hull and a major repair job was required. A different day in an ML's day, one hopefully not to be repeated. Brian


Hello all,I am posting these pics of [B]Paea[/B] on behalf of Heather and Keith,proud owners of her.
Attachments :



[quote=Geoff Brebner;114798]Hello all,here are a couple of reasonably recent shots of [B]Tarapunga P3566[/B] in private ownership at Picton in the South Island.Obviously under refit,she looks to be in excellent condition.Regards to all,Geoff.[/quote] I was the last Coxswain on Tarapunga when she was a survey ML. It is great to see that she still looks so good. Hope that you have some more pictures. All the best Bruffy.


[quote=paea3552;120131]So does anyone know which boats they are in Geoffs post a few back - the picture with the two boats on a lean with a distinct lack of water.......(wondering if one is ours.. Paea!).[/quote] I believe it was Haku and Maroro. The late Pat Huxtable showed me that photo before. He was a stoker on Maroro at the time. I`m not quite sure but I think he said it was taken in Dusky and yes the Admiral was onboard. Bruffy.


There is a good summary of the history of the HDMLs here: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastal_Forces_of_the_Royal_New_Zealand_Navy#RNZN_Harbour_Defence_Launches[/url] (My father commanded Q1189 and 1192 in 1944/45 and was last Senior Officer 125th Flotilla. I served in Manga for a short period in 1966.)


Bruffy - you were not to know but we do not allow posts to be made in capitals so if you could please alter back to normal type for your next post it would be greatly appreciated. :)


Thanks for that. Phew. Glad it wasn't ours!!!!


[QUOTE=peter brough;123680]I believe it was Haku and Maroro. The late Pat Huxtable showed me that photo before. He was a stoker on Maroro at the time. I`m not quite sure but I think he said it was taken in Dusky and yes the Admiral was onboard. Bruffy.[/QUOTE] Apparently,the incident was in 1965 at Revolver Bay, which is in Preservation Inlet,Fiordland,at the extreme SW corner of the South Island.Regards to all,Geoff.


I have just found these plans of an HDML. (Smart observers will see the base of a mast : apparently they were going to sail some from UK to Canada ... but never did ...(thank goodness !!) Brian
Attachments :



Old Salt writes: I have just found these plans of an HDML. (Smart observers will see the base of a mast : apparently they were going to sail some from UK to Canada ... but never did ...(thank goodness !!) This just the regular mast found in all HDs. Used for flag signals. The examples I served in had no sails or foremast. According to John Lambert *Allied Coastal Forces* Vol I, eight boats were fitted with an extra mast forward of the wheelhouse with the intention of getting them to the West Indies in 1942. Whether this was ever attempted I don't know. Using sail and power together is easier said than done. The following post dated July 21, describes the frustration experienced aboard another small vessel that was fitted with sail. I had hoped that someone with sail-experience (ORIOLE for example) might respond, but so far nothing. Whalecatcher The photo of RECLAIM shows two sails set, and since both are filled, it is clear they are exerting some propulsive effect. In 1945, I logged 6000 miles in a series of 61 foot Admiralty Motor Fishing Vessels, which were fitted with sails besides a diesel engine. These chaps were built in Cape Town and were intended for use as harbour service craft in the Far East Theatre. Since shipping opportunities from the Cape were few and far between, they were went out as deck-cargo to ports like Trincolmalee, from Durban, which lies on the Indian Ocean coast of South Africa, but the 1000 mile passage from Cape Town to Durban was made on their own bottoms. We made eight knots with the engine and made substantial use of the three sails to steady the boats when at sea. Sheeted in tight they worked very effectively as air-brakes and ameliorated heavy rolling. However, I was completely frustrated in my efforts to make any effective use of the canvas in increasing their speed. This is trickier than it sounds, and really can only be managed if one can choose the course to suit the wind-conditions. In our case, the route and course was fixed. Once round Cape Aghulas, we headed East to Port Elizabeth and then North-East to Durban. For the most part, any auxiliary powered vessel will be under sail or under power, but rarely in a position to use both simultaneously. Heading into the wind nder power, it is best if the sails are taken in because they just add to wind-resistance, and the same thing is true in a calm, because the relative wind is dead ahead and of the same speed as that generated by the engine. If the true wind is on the quarter or from astern, it is sometimes possible to set the sails and make use of it. The vessel will be sailing close-hauled, sheets well in, even though the true wind is somewhat aft. The relative wind will be abeam or even from a point or so forward of the beam. A square-rigged vessel, which at best can sail about five points off the wind, would never be able to use her canvas along with an engine. It may be that other subscribers to the forum had better luck than I did. Perhaps someone with experience aboard HMCS ORIOLE or some other training ship had better luck than I, in making effective use of canvas and power. [This post had attached photos of RECLAIM and an MFV] Search "Slowest Ship"]


Hello all,here is an update on our surviving Kiwi MLs.Last week I went to the small town of Helensville which is about 50 or so k's NW of Auckland on the southern end of the Kaipara Harbour.The Kaipara is on the west (Tasman Sea) side of the North Island,and is the largest tidal harbour in the Southern Hemisphere.Twas here I found [B]P3563 Kuparu[/B] the last of the MLs to be in commission.Her owner also owned [B]Manga[/B],but has since broken her up.Time didn't permit me much time there,but I took these few snaps.She(with [B]Koura[/B]),would be the most original of the launches remaining.She does need a bit of work,but with a bit of TLC she would "scrub up" very nicely. She is for sale NZ$70,000.If I was a bit younger I would be very tempted. (dream on old boy!). Regards to all,Geoff.
Attachments :



Served on Mako and put her on the rocks at Whakatane 1961 I think. The shore markers were not bolted down :-)) A very good sea boat built in Canada.. Went the length of NZ in her.


[QUOTE=Alan Miles;129520]Served on Mako and put her on the rocks at Whakatane 1961 I think. The shore markers were not bolted down :-)) A very good sea boat built in Canada.. Went the length of NZ in her.[/QUOTE] The sixteen New Zealand HDMLS's were all built West Coast USA,[B]Mako[/B] being built in San Francisco.Despite popular belief,no HDML's were built in Canada.The Canadians did however,build a large number of the Fairmile B. Regards,Geoff.


[quote=Geoff Brebner;111696]Hi all,here is the elusive pic of [B]Motunui ex ML406[/B] that I referred to in post#38.This is how she looked as a Waiheke Island, (Auckland)ferry in 1960's.She was later (1980's)fitted with original Fairmile wheelhouse from [B]Kahu[/B] Regards to all,Geoff.[/quote] Hallo geoff,motunui allways had that wheelhouse she just had another built on the front of it. She is now at waitomo as a floating motel called waitomotanic i think the name of the place she is at is billy blacks or something like that,they also have a railcar and a bristol frieghter there as part of the motel. I know it sounds crazy, but I have been told that it is quite well done, bruffy


Sorry to but in,but,have you seen the website hmsmedusa .org It's about the HDMLs built for the RN,RAN,RNZN and the SANF.Hope this is of some help. peter.


Hi there Bruffy,have sent you PM.Regards,Geoff.


I have just come across reference to a book about the Fairmile Flotilla from one who was there. Just in case you have not already heard of it : [url]http://www.nzshipmarine.com/pubs/detail.aspx?id=15[/url] Brian
Attachments :



Hello all,here are some shots I took yesterday 9th December of [B]Paea[/B] and her proud owners Keith and Heather.Regards to all,Geoff
Attachments :



[U]ML Dits (Stories) RNZN[/U] An ex-colleague in the RNZN, Gerry Wright, has written several books about RNZN ships and those who sailed in them, also about NZ personnel serving in the RN during WW2. His latest book, "ML Dits" was released on 15 December . This contains stories ( 'Dits' in naval terms) collected from many who served over the 40 years of the MLs. Including myself. I look forward to getting a copy and posting in this forum some of the treasures I know to be included.


[QUOTE=Geoff Brebner;111585]Hi all,I could possibly stand corrected here.Out of the original sixteen launches,ten still exist,and in most cases are still reasonably seaworthy.Here are seven of the survivors-[B]Paea,Tamure,Kuparu,Koura,Haku,Parore,Manga. Paea[/B] and [B]Kuparu[/B] were the last two in commission,they were retired from RNZN service in 1989.More pics to come later.Regards to all,Geoff.[/QUOTE] Geoff, thanks for this info and pix, as I have since learnt that KUPARU ( still surviving at helensville) is 1348 in which my father served in local waters in 1944 before being posted to Fairmiles in the Solomons. I am now chasing a wartime pix of her. rgds John Peake


Hi all,here are some recent pics of [B]Paea[/B]. She had an extensive refit last year,and has just recently been slipped for a paint touch-up and antifouling.She is lovingly cared for by her owners Keith and Heather who use her as often as they can.She is in amazing condition,and I would think the best HDML still active here in NZ.She will celebrate her 70th birthday next March.All photos by owner Heather Reeve. Regards to all,Geoff.
Attachments :



[QUOTE=Geoff Brebner;10056780]Hi all,here are some recent pics of [B]Paea[/B]. She had an extensive refit last year,and has just recently been slipped for a paint touch-up and antifouling.She is lovingly cared for by her owners Keith and Heather who use her as often as they can.She is in amazing condition,and I would think the best HDML still active here in NZ.She will celebrate her 70th birthday next March.All photos by owner Heather Reeve. Regards to all,Geoff.[/QUOTE] Thanks Geoff, what a treat for sore old eyes ! She is obviously in great hands. Brian


Hi John... I have some piccies of Kupuru in fishery protection colours that I will try and post. And I've got a heap of photos of Kupuru as she is today in Helensville too,.


thanks paea3552....i'll look forward to viewing rgds John


Hello all,an update on the last Kiwi-built Fairmile B still afloat.After languishing for years on moorings on Auckland's Upper Harbour,she has been towed to Whangarei where her new owners plan to refit her as a liveaboard private yacht.Formerly ML 411 she was the last-built of the twelve that were built at Auckland during WW2,and the last to serve in the RNZN. Regards to all,Geoff.


Hi Geoff, what was the vessel bought by Bill Gallager, driven around to Raglan, stripped there and the hulk burnt. Machinery and deckhouse used on the steel" Hamutana" And the one lifted out and being restored at Thames which burned down. regards ray


Hi all,here is a pic of Kahu nearing the end of her voyage to Whangarei. Greetings to my friend Rayman....The Raglan Fairmile was Tiare formerly ML403,the one that Gallagher owned was Marlyn ex ML405,I have her bell in my possesion.And the HDML burnt at Kopu (Thames) was Kahawai. Photo DJ Kean
Attachments :



There is an entertaining 20-minute item on the [I]Paea[/I] on Radio NZ's Spectrum this week: [URL]http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/spectrum/20130804[/URL] Chis73




Previous Posts

More Posts


Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Cookie Policy
Privacy Policy

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Email: cranstonorders -at- outlook.com

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page