WorldNavalShips .com Home Page
Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Google

 

www.worldnavalships.com

Naval History by Country :
ROYAL
NAVY
US
NAVY
GERMAN
NAVY
FRENCH
NAVY
MORE
PAGES
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART
Ship Search by Name :
Product Search         

Home ] Up ] Comments about our Site ] About Our Navy Web ] Acknowledgements ] How to use our site ]

Name Histories D 

Home ] Up ] Name Histories A ] Name Histories B ] Name Histories C ] [ Name Histories D ] Name Histories E ] Name Histories F ] Name Histories G ] Name Histories H ] Name Histories I ] Name Histories J ] Name Histories K ] Name Histories L ] Name Histories M ] Name Histories N ] Name Histories O ] Name Histories P ] Name Histories Q ] Name Histories R ] Name Histories S ] Name Histories T ] Name Histories U ] Name Histories V ] Name Histories W ] Name Histories X ] Name Histories Y ] Name Histories Z ]

Choose the navy or section of interest below:

Royal Navy United States Germany France Japan Italy Russia Austria-Hungary
Canada Spain Netherlands Argentina Brazil Portugal Turkey Australia
Norway Sweden Denmark Belgium Chile Uruguay China New Zealand
Malta Greece India Poland South Africa Pakistan Libya Kuwait
Ireland Other Navies Liners   Unidentified Ships Wartime Naval Losses
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART

 

Ship Name Histories - Database of histories of ship names beginning with letter D.

Daedalus

Name Origin: In Greek mythology an inventor and promoter to the arts of sculpture and architecture.  He is said to have built for King Minos of Crete the labyrinth, which confined the Minotaur.  Imprisoned by Minos, he made wings for himself and his son Icarus, with which they escaped from the island.  The latter was drowned, but Daedalus safely landed in Italy.

Dagmar

Name Origin: Margaret of Bohemia, the first wife of King Waldemar I., died in 1212.  She was grwatly beloved by the Danes for her gentle kindliness and beauty, and they surnamed her Dagmar, “Day’s Maiden.”

Dalhousie

Name Origin: James Ramsay, tenth Earl and first Marquis of Dalhousie; born 1812, died 1860.  He was Governor General of India from 1847 to 1856, and created Marquis in 1849 for his services in that capacity.  On his return home he was appointed Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports.

Dalmat

Name Origin: Dalmatia, a kingdom and Crown Land of the Austrian empire, lying along the eastern shore of the Adriatic.  Originally part of the roman province of Illyria, it was the native country of the Emprtot Diocletian, who resided at Spalato after his abdication.  Overrun and its civilisation destroyed by Goths, Huns, and Croatians, it became during the middle ages the cause of unceasing struggles for its possession between Hungary and Venice.  After the fall of the latter, Dalmatia was ceded to Austria by the treaty of Campo Formio in 1797, and raised to a kingdom within the Empire in 1816.

Dandolo

Name Origin: A patrician family of Venice that gave three doges to that republic.  The most celebrated of these was Enrico Dandolo, born about 1108, died 1205.  He was the founder of Venice’s superiority in the Mediterranean.  In 1173, whilst Venetian Ambassador at Constantinople, the Emperor Manuel had him blinded, but his eyesight escaped complete destruction.  Elected doge until 1192, Dandolo subdued Dalmatia and fought victoriously with Padua and Pisa.  At the age of ninety-five he, at the head of a crusading expedition, captured Trieste, conquered the Albanian coast and the Ionic Islands, and twice victoriously entered Constantinople in 1203 and 1204.  There he assisted in setting up the Latin kingdom, and gained for Venice three-eighths of the former Imperial Byzantine territory.  He died and was buried at Constantinople.

Dannebrog

Name Origin: The name of the Danish national flag, which, according to legend, fell down from heaven during King Waldemar II’s crusade in Estonia, in the midst of a great battle which the Danes were fighting against the heathen in 1219.

Danton

Name Origin: Geroges Jacques Danton born 1759, died 1794, one of the most prominent leaders of the first French Revolution.  When it broke out in 1789 Danton was an obscure lawyrer in Paris.  His commanding presence, stentorian voice, and thrilling eloquence soon brought him into the forefront of the popular and insurrectionary movement.  In august 1792, after the fall of the monarchy to which he had so greatly contributed, he became Minister of Justice, but reined this post on the assembling of the National Convention.  The part played by him during the prison massacre in September 1792 has remained obscure, and is still debated.  Danton was one of the original nine members of the Committee of Public Safety, invested with dictorial powers, and was repeatedly sent on missions to the Republican armies in Belgium, whose zeal and courage his eloquence inflamed.  As the extreme revolutionary elements gained in popular favour, Danton, considered too moderate, began to lose it, and when Robespierre, his rival became the idol of the masses, he was sent to the guillotine in April 1794.

Danzig
Name Origin: Fortress, military port, and principal town of West Prussia, situated on the Vistula (Weichsel) a few miles from the Baltic coasts.

Dard

Name Origin: Dart

Dardo

Name Origin: Dart.

Daring

Dart

The seventh “DART” was a 5-gun twin-screw gun vessel launched at Millwall in 1860.  She was of 570 tons, 336 horse-power, and 10 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 146ft., 25ft., and 12ft.  In 1865 the “Dart,” commanded by Commander Frederick W. Richards, while at Akatoo on the West Coast of Africa, received notice of a rumour to the effect that the natives were about to plunder the British factories.  One factory had been actually looted, and a schooner had been stripped and set adrift.  Commander Richards landed some men from his ship and from the “Lee,” to protect British interests.  Several boats were capsized in the surf, and two men were drowned.  Commander Richards succeeded in restoring order, with a loss of only one seaman wounded. The eighth “DART” is a 2-gun screw surveying vessel, launched as “Cruiser” at Barrow in 1882 for the Colonel Office, and purchased by the Admiralty.  She is of 470 tons, 250 horse-power, and 9 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 133ft., 25ft., and 12ft.  This vessel was leant to the New South Wales Government for training purposes in 1904, and in 1912 she was sold at Sydney for £1010.

Dasher

The third “DASHER” was a twin-screw torpedo-boat destroyer, launched at Poplar in 1893.  She was of 255 tons, 3182 horse-power, and 27 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 190ft., 18ft., and 5ft.  In 1912 this destroyer was sold at Chatham for £1630.

D'Assas

Name Origin: Chavalier Nicolas d’ Assae, Captain in the Regiment d’Auvergne.  During the war with Frederick the Great of Prussia in Silesia he was on outpost duty on the night of October 15th 1760.  Whilst reconnoitring he was surprised, who were coming on for a night attack.  Though threatened with death if he uttered a sound, D’Assas gallantly shouted, “This way, Auvergne; here is the enemy!”  He was immediately cut to pieces; but his cry had been heard, the alarm was given, and the Prussians had to retreat.

Davout

Name Origin: Louis Nicholas Davout, Duc d’Auerstadt, Prince d’Eggmuhl, born 1770, died 1823, one of Napoleon’s most celebrated Marshals.  He fought at the battle of Jemappes 1792, under Dumouriez, accompanied Bonaparte in his Egyptian campaign, and was made prisoner by the English on the voyage back and detained for a month at Leghorn.  At the battle of Marengo 1800, he commanded a division. Promoted to Marshal and General in command of the Imperial Guards in 1804, he defeated the Duke of Brunswick at Auerstadt 1806, and the Austrians at Eggmuhl 1809.  He distinguished himself greatly in all the subsequent campaigns-retook Hamburg in 1813, and held it till 1814.  On Napoleon’s return from Elba he was made Minister of War, and after the battle of Waterloo and Napoleon’s deposition was Commander-in-chief of the Army.  He surrendered to the Government of Louis XVIII.

Decidee

Name Origin: Decided.

Dee

Name Origin: A river Scotland that flows into the North Sea near Aberdeen.  There are two other rivers of that name in Great Britain.

The third “DEE” was a twin-screw 3-gun gunboat, launched at Jarrow in 1877.  She was of 363 tons, 330 horse-power, and 9 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 110ft., 34ft., and 7ft.  The fourth “DEE” is a twin-screw torpedo-boat destroyer, built at Palmers Yard at Jarrow and launched on the Tyne in 1903.  She is of 545 tons, 7000 horse-power, and 27 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 225ft., 23ft., and 10ft.  In September 1905 the “Dee,” while commanded by Lieutenant and Commander Harold E. Sulivan, and in company with the “Exe,” demonstrated her good qualities by successfully passing through a severe typhoon between Wei-hai-wei and Shanghai.  At the beginning of the passage the barometer stood at 30.20, and there was only a slight breeze.  In two days the glass had dropped to 27.78 and the wind had increased to force 11.  By the third day the barometer and wind were both normal.  An observer in the “Exe,” who was watching the “Dee,” noted that “. . .The extraordinary attitudes she assumed, and the conditions she went through, were more interesting than re-assuring.  At times she would be poised on her crest of a sea, her fore part high and dry (so to speak), leaving her keel visible up to the conning tower; the after part also naked, showing her propellers racing in the air.  The she would take a dive, an intervening wave would blot out this merry picture, and then to one’s relief as the wave passed by, a mast would appear waving on the other side until, thank goodness, one would catch sight of her funnels and then her hull, still above water. . .”  The “Dee,” was sighted at a bad period f the typhoon by a passing mail steamer.  The passengers gave the little ship up as lost, and it is said that a clergyman among them offered up prayers for the repose of their souls. The commanding officer of the “Dee,” was much struck by the contrast afforded by the blue sky and comparative calm which he experienced in the centre of the storm, and by the number of kingfishers and other land birds which took refuge on board the ship when she got into this calm vortex.  The ship was in situation of considerable peril for some forty-eight hours, and was only saved by good work of her builders, and the seamanlike skill of her Commander.  The whole affair reflected the greatest possible credit on the British destroyer officers, and the reader who wishes to read fuller details will find them in the second edition of Admiral Sir Christopher Cradock’s Whispers from the fleet, where they appear in the form of a letter from Commander Allan F. Everett of the “Exe,” who was the senior officer of the two vessels.

Defence

The third “DEFENCE” was a 74-gun ship built at Plymouth in 1763.  She was of 1602 tons, and carried a crew of 600 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 168ft., 47ft., and 18ft.  In 1780 the “Defence,” commanded by Captain Lord Cranstoun, was in an English fleet of some 21 ships of the line, and 11 frigates under Admiral Sir George Rodney with his flag in “Sandwich.”  They sailed from Plymouth on December 29th, 1779, for Gibraltar and the West Indies.  At daylight on January 8th, 22 Spanish sail were sighted and were at once chased.  After a few hours action they were all captured.  Seven were men-of-war, chiefly frigates, and the remainder were merchant vessels laden with stores and provisions for the Spanish fleet at Cadiz.  This action was fought about 300 miles west of Cape Finisterre; the British ships then proceeded towards Gibraltar.  On January 16th, close to St. Vincent, another Spanish squadron was sighted, consisting of 11 ships of the line and 2 frigates under Admiral Don Juan de Langara.  The English ships at once chased, and at 4p.m. the leading ships got into action.  At 4.30 a Spanish 70 blew up with all onboard, and at 6 another struck.  A night action followed, and at 2a.m. the Spaniards surrendered.  Besides the one blown up, six Spanish ships were captured, but of these, two drove ashore and were lost.  The “Defence” on this day lost 10 men killed and 21 wounded.  In April 1781 the “Defence” was one of a fleet of 29 ships of the line, which under Vice-Admiral Darby with his flag in “Britannia” effected the relief of Gibraltar.  Accompanied by a large convoy they arrived at Gibraltar on April 12th, and landed the necessary warlike stores, but not without great opposition from the besieging Spaniards, and from a flotilla of single gun gunboats in the Bay.  In one week the re-victualling was accomplished, and the relief effected, and the squadron then returned to England, arriving at Spithead on May 22nd.  On June 20th, 1783, the “Defence,” under the command of Captain Thomas Newman, took part in the fifth action between Vice-Admiral Sir Edward Hughes and Admiral de Suffren.  It was known as the battle of Cuddalore.  The English fleet consisted of 21 and the French fleet of 18 vessels.  The fleets met at 4p.m. on June 20th, and the action lasted till 7p.m.  The curious point about this fight is that, unknown to either belligerent, it was thought five months after the preliminaries of peace had been signed.  The French gained a victory strategically and tactically, though no shipps were taken on either side.  The English loss was 99 killed and 434 wounded, while the French had 102 killed and 386 wounded.  The “Defence,” lost 7 killed and 38 wounded.  The French by this action prevented the reduction of Cuddalore. On May 5th, 1794, the “Defence,” commanded by Captain James Gambier, was off Ushant in a fleet of 25 ships, 7 frigates, 6 fireships, sloops, and hospital ships commanded by Admiral Earl Howe with his flag in “Queen Charlotte.”  Until May 28th Lord Howe searched for the French fleet, which consisted of 26 ships, 7 frigates, and 4 small craft, under Rear-Admiral Villaret-Joyeuse with his flag in “Montagne.”  On the 21st the English fleet captured a Dutch convoy, and on the 25th it took an American brig two small French frigates.  On the 28th the French fleet was sighted and was at once chased.  A partial began at 5.p.m.  By 10p.m. one French ship was disabled with 400 killed and wounded, but was rescued and towed away.  On May 29th a further action took place in which the French were badly mauled, and the British lost 67 killed and 128 wounded.  On June 1st the British stood over to the attack, and the action began at 9.30.  Howe’s fleet, led by the “Defence,” broke through the French line in most cases and engaged from leeward.  The French at the beginning of the action opened a distant fire on the “Defence.”  She, however, got through the French line between the “Mucius” and the “Tourville,” and was presently in the thick of the action.  She was badly treated, and signalled for help, and was taken in tow by the “Phaeton,” but therefore she did this she very pluckily engaged the “Impetueux” for ten minutes.  By 11.30 the action was practically over, and the British had eleven, and the French twelve more or less dismasted vessels.  The British lost 290 killed and 858 wounded, which included 3 captains killed and 3 admirals wounded.  The French lost six ships captured, one sunk, and about 7000 men killed, wounded, or prisoners, on this the Glorious First of June 1794.  The “Defence” lost 18 killed, including the master, and 39 wounded.  Captain Gambier ws a fighting Puritan, and encouraged religious exercises on board the ship, making the “Defence” a source of irritation and laughter in the fleet and raising doubts as to how her crew would behave in action.  They cleared up these doubts, and as she lay a riddled and dismasted hulk, the “Invincible,” bore down, and Captain Pakenham, a rattling good-humoured Irishman, shouted, “well, Jimmy, I see you are pretty well mauled; but never mind, Jimmy, whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth.”  There is another story told of the “Defence.”  The lieutenant of the after part of the main deck seeing a great three-decker (the “Republican”) suddenly bearing down upon the “Defence,” and struck with a kind of momentary panic, ran up on the quarter-deck and addressed the Captain thus: “Damn my eyes, sir, but here is a whole mountain coming upon us; what shall we do?”  Captain Gambier, who was quite unmoved, looked gravely at him and said in a solemn voice, “How dare you, sir, at this awful moment come to me with an oath in your mouth?  Go down. Sir, and encourage your men to stand to your guns like brave British seamen.”   On July 9th, 1795, the “Defence,” commanded by Captain Thomas Wells, was one of a combined British and Neapolitan fleet of 32 sail in all under Admiral Hotham with his flag in “Brittania.”  Commodore Horatio Nelson on the 7th had discovered the French off Cape de Melle, and was chased to San Fiorenzi, where he gave information to the Admiral.  The French fleet consisted of 23 ships under Vice-Admiral Martin.  On July 13th the French fleet were sighted off Hyeres, and the British at once chased.  The action began at 12.30p.m.  At 2p.m. a French ship struck her colours, and at 3p.m. Admiral Hotham stopped the action.  The British lost 11 killed and 28 wounded, and captured one ship.  The “Defence” lost 1 killed and 6 wounded.  Admiral Hotham’s decision to cease fighting was severely criticised.   In 1797 the “Defence” was involved in the mutiny at Spithead.  The men complained of low wages, insufficient leave, poor provisions, neglect of the sick, and that they were not paid while suffering in hospital.  The Admiralty granted most of the requests, and the King pardoned the offenders.  There was a great deal to be said on the men’s side, and they behaved very moderately.  Captain Thomas Wells of the “Defence” was turned ashore by the mutineers. The “Defence” was then sent out to join the fleet commanded by Admiral the Earl St. Vincent, and that she was still giving trouble is evidenced by the following letter from the Commander-in-Chief to Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Thompson, Bart.:

H.M.S. “Ville de Paris,” off Cadiz, August 28th, 1797.

           Sir,- Captain Wells, of his Majesty’s ship the “Defence,” having represented to me that George Galway, gunner’s mate, and James Barrack, boatswain’s mate, of the said ship, came with him yesterday with a message from the ship’s company that it was their desire James Stride, cook of her, should be tried on board that ship, I desire you will take the earliest opportunity to visit the “Defence,” and inform the ship’s company that I consider their conduct upon this occasion as highly reprehensible, and that they put the lives of their two messengers at hazard by sending them on so seditious an errand, and that it behoves them to be more circumspect in their conduct, and instead of aiding and abetting these murmurings and unworthy suspicions, it is their duty to make discovery of them immediately, concealment of mutiny or sedition being, to all intents and purposes, the same crime as an act or either.- I have, etc., etc.,

                    St. Vincent

           A few days later the Earl St. Vincent, in writing to the secretary of the Admiralty, remarks:

           I am sorry, however, to observe that there has been a disposition in the “Defence” . . . to make occasional appeals to the people, which I hope the execution of Michael Redden and the removal of some evil spirits from the “Defence” will put a stop to . . .

           It was in the occasion of this last-mentioned execution that the Commander-in-Chief thought it necessary to make the following order, since published in full:

           To Rear-Admiral Sir William Parker-

Most secret and confidential, not to be divulged to any one now, nor in future, unless necessary to put it in force.

           Sir-It being necessary to take every precaution against any attempt to delay or defeat carrying the sentence of the court-martial into execution, on board his Majesty’s ship “Defence,” this morning , I have ordered all the launches in the fleet, fitted with carronades, to have them mounted, and to hold them in readiness at a minute’s warning; and, should any resistance be made to carry the sentence of the law into execution, of which immediate notice will be given to you, it is my direction that you assume the command of them, taking the captains of your division in their barges to your assistance, and that you fire into that part of His Majesty’s ship the “Defence” where the persons resisting or refusing obedience to lawful commands may dispose of themselves, and continue your fire till they submit.- I have the honour, etc.,

              St. Vincent

           On September 18th, 1798, nineteen seamen of the “Defence” were sentenced to death for mutiny, and six to flogging and imprisonment for the same offence.   In 1798 the “Defence,” commanded by Captain John Peyton, was one of a fleet of 14 vessels under Rear-Admiral Sir Horatio Nelson, with his flag in “Vanguard,” which utterly defeated the French fleet at the battle of the Nile.  The French, under Brueys with his flag in “Orient,” consisted of 17 ships, 2 brigs, 3 bombs, and several gunboats.  Nelson, with his fleet, chased and searched for three months, starting at Cadiz on May 2nd, and eventually found the French fleet at anchor in the Bay of Aboukir on August 1st at 1p.m..  Standing into the Bay at 5.30, Nelson formed line of battle, and at 6p.m. the action began by the British attacking the French van and centre while they anchored by stern.  The “Culloden” grounded while coming into harbour, and was unable to take part in the action.  The “Defence” attacked the “Peuple Soverain” and soon drove her from her position, and then attacked the “Franklin,” which was soon silenced with a loss of her main and mizzen-masts.  At 10p.m. the French flagship “Orient” blew up, having caught fire an hour previously.  The action continued through the night, and at 6a.m. four French ships escaped under Rear-Admiral Villeneuve.  The British lost 218 killed and 678 wounded, which included one Captain killed and Admiral Nelson and other officers wounded.  The French lost in killed, wounded, burned, drowned, and missing, about 3500, which included among the killed Vice-Admiral Brueys and four Captains.  Of the French ships 9 were captured, 3 were burned, and 4 escaped.  Three of the prizes were eventually burned as useless.  Nelson’s popularity had been under a cloud, but he was now given a barony, a pension of £3000, and a present of £10,000 from the East India Company.  The first lieutenants of all ships were promoted, and the British and Irish Houses of Parliament voted thanks to the whole fleet.  The 2Defence” lost 4 killed and 11 wounded.  In 1799 the “Defence,” commanded by Captain Lord H. Paulet, was engaged in the blockade of Cadiz.   On July 2nd, 1800, the boats from the “Defence,” assisted by those from the “Renown” and “Fishguard,” attacked and destroyed the French 20-gun ship “Therese” in Bourgneuf Bay.  A 12-gun lugger, two 6-gun gunboats, and a 6-gun cutter were burned at the same time.  The French gunboat “Nochette” had been taken a few days previously.   In 1801 the “Defence,” commanded by Captain Lord Henry Paulet, was in a fleet of 24 ships, 7 bombs, 2 fireships, and 6 gun brigs, commanded by Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson with his flag in “Elephant” which took part in the battle or bombardment of Copenhagen.  The fleet forced a passage of the Ore Sound on March 30th, and after encountering various navigational difficulties, anchored under fire opposite Copenhagen on April 3rd.  The Danish defences, besides forts, consisted of 18 men-of-war, armed hulks, and floating batteries, moored in a 1 mile line opposite the town.  Two British men-of-war ran aground, and the six brigs were unable to get into action owing to tide.  The action began at 10 and was general at 11:30.  A furious cannonade followed, during which time Nelson put his blind eye to his telescope when advised by the Commander-in-Chief four miles away to discontinue the action.  When Nelson disregarded this advice the “Defence” and two other ships were despatched to assist the Vice-Admiral by Admiral Sir Hyde Parker.  By 3.30p.m. letters were exchanged under flags of truce and the fighting ceased, most of the Danish ships and forts being silenced.  The Danes lost in killed, wounded, and prisoners, about 6000 men.  The British fleet lost 255 killed and 688 badly wounded.  Fourteen Danish ships were captured, burned, blown up, driven on shore, or otherwise taken from the enemy.  A fourteen-weeks armistice was then agreed to.  The Danes mounted 696 guns on this occasion against the British 1014 guns and carronades.  The approach of the “Defence” and her two consorts acted as a further menace to the enemy, and assisted to induce the Danes to bring the hostilities to a conclusion.  Nelson was elevated to the dignity of Viscount for this victory.  In 1801 the “Defence” captured the French 14-gun privateer “L’Enfant Carnival” off Lisbon.  On October 21st, 1805, the “Defence,” commanded by Captain George Hope, took part in the battle of Trafalgar.  The English fleet consisted of 27 ships, 4 frigates, and 2 small craft under Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson with his flag in “Victory.”  The Franco-Spanish fleet consisted of 33 ships, 5 frigates, and 2 small craft under Vice-Admiral Villeneuve and Admiral Don Frederico Gravina.  At daybreak the enemy were discovered 11 miles to leeward.  The British fleet stood down to the attack in two lines, and the French opened fire on the leader of the lee line at noon.  At 12.10 Vice-Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood broke the enemy’s line and at 1p.m. Lord Nelson did the same.  As soon as the light wind permitted, the remaining British ships came up and engaged, and by 1.30 the battle was at its height.  The “Defence,” as fourteenth ship of the lee column, was very late in getting into action.  She first engaged the French “Berwick” and then attacked the Spanish “San Ildefonso,” which struck after an hours action.  At 1.25p.m. Lord Nelson was mortally wounded while walking the “Victory’s” quarter-deck with his flag-captain, and by 3p.m. the firing had diminished.  At 4.40p.m.  Having learned of the completeness victory, the British Commander-in-Chief quietly and without a struggle ceased to breathe.  By 5p.m. the fight was over, the fleet being 8 miles N.W. by W. of Trafalgar.  The British lost 449 killed, which included Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson, 2 captains, and 34 officers; and 1241 wounded which included 106 officers.  The British ships suffered severely in the hulls, and many were wholly or partially dismasted.  The Franco-Spaniards lost 18 ships captured, of which 1 blew up.  It appears that the enemy lost about 7000 killed and wounded, which included two admirals and seven captains killed.  The remainder of the allied fleet managed to escape, and six months afterwards the French commander-in-Chief, Vice-Admiral Villeneuve, died at Rennes (it is said by his own hands), and was buried without military honours.  Of the 17 prizes 2 sank, 6 were wrecked and lost in a storm after the battle, 2 were burned, and 1 was destroyed.  The eldest surviving brother of Lord Nelson was created an earl with £5000 a year settled on the title in perpetuity, and given £99,000 to buy en estate.  A annuity of £2000 was assigned to Lady Nelson, and a sum of £15,000 was given of each of his two sisters.  Vice-Admiral Collingwood was created a Peer with £2000 a year, and Flag-Captain Thomas Masterman Hardy was made a Baronet.  A large number of lieutenants were promoted, and the fleet received the thanks of both Houses of Parliament.  The “Defence” lost 7 killed and 29 wounded.   In 1807 the British Government observed that Napoleonic scheming tended to coerce Denmark into hostility against England.  Accordingly a fleet of 65 vessels under Admiral Gambier, with his flag in “Prince of Wales,” was despatched against Denmark, and they anchored about four miles from Copenhagen in August, and established a blockade.  The “Defence,” commanded by Captain Charles Ekins, joined the fleet on August 9th.  A large army of men under General Lord Cathurt were landed and laid siege to the city of Copenhagen.  On the 23rd a flotilla of 25 small bombs, mortar boats, and gunbrigs attacked Copenhagen from seaward, while the army got ready their batteries against the town.  After much firing the Danes capitulated and surrendered their entire fleet of 70 vessels to the English.  The big ships took no part in the engagement.  The Naval loss in the small vessels was only 4 killed and 13 wounded, while the army lost about 200 killed, wounded, and missing.  The fleet received the thanks of Parliament, Admiral Gambier was given a peerage, and Vice-Admiral Stanhope a baronetcy on account of these operations.   During the last months of 1807, the “Defence,” commanded by Captain Charles Ekins, took part in the blockade of Lisbon.  In July 1809 the “Defence,” commanded by Captain David Atkins, sailed from the Downs in a fleet of 246 men-of-war of various kinds commanded by Rear-Admiral Sir Richard Strachan with his flag in “Venerable.”  Four hundred transports accompanied the expedition, carrying some 40,000 troops under the earl of Chatham.  Many of the men-of-war removed their lower-deck guns and carried horses.  The expedition set forth to destroy all the French ships in the Schelde, and at Antwerp; to demolish the dockyards at Antwerp, Flushing, and Ter Neuze; and to render the Schelde no longer navigable for big French ships.  This affair was of a Military rather than a Naval character.  The fleet assisted by bombarding and the landing of a Naval Brigade, in the capture of the island of Walcheren, and in the bombardment, siege, and capture of flushing.  But the Earl of Chatman was fonder of his own personal comfort than of work, and after the Island of Walcheren with its batteries, basins, and arsenals had been reduced the British forces withdrew.  On December 24th, 1811, after some minor services in the Baltic, the “Defence,” commanded by Captain David Atkins, was wrecked and lost on the coast of Jutland, 593 men being lost out of 597.  The “St. George,” with Rear-Admiral Robert Carthew Revnolds, had gone ashore, which circumstance was reported to Captain Atkins by the master of the “Defence.” . . .  The Captain enquired whether the Admiral had made the signal to part company; upon being answered in the negative, he replied.  “I will never desert my Admiral in the hour of danger and distress.”  Shortly afterwards the “Defence” too struck.  The sea swept completely over the “Defence,” and the masts had to be cut away.  Minute-guns were fired, but the guns soon broke adrift.  The waves forced numbers of the men down the hatchways.  The booms were washed away, and with them nearly one hundred men who were clinging to the different spars.  The guns, which had broken loose, crashed from side to side, killing and maiming those who could not get out of their way.  The boats were all stove in except the pinnace.  Twenty men got into her, but she capsized, and all perished.  Another sea lifted a spare anchor and threw it up on end, and in its fall upon the forecastle it killed about thirty men.  The Danes behaved with great kindness to the survivors, and also attended to the burial of all the bodies that were washed ashore, including that of Captain David Atkins, whom they subsequently exhumed and placed in a vault with the honours of war.  The fourth “DEFENCE” was a 74-gun ship, launched at Chatham in 1815.  She was of 1754 tons, and carried a crew of 590 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 176ft., 48ft., and 18ft.  This vessel ended her days as a convict ship at Woolwich, and she was broken up in 1857. The fifth “DEFENCE” was a 60-ton coastguard cruiser, launched in 1848.  In 1847 the “Defence” was sold.  The sixth “DEFENCE” was a 60-ton coastguard cruiser, launched in 1848.  In 1869 the “Defence” was sold for £391. The seventh “DEFENCE” was a 16-gun screw battleship, launched at Jarrow in 1861.  She was of 6150 tons, 2600 horse-power, and 11 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 280ft., 54ft., and 26ft.  For many years the “Defence” acted as a coastguard ship at Holyhead, but her name was eventually changed to “Indus,” and she acted as a mechanician’s training-ship at Plymouth.  The eighth “DEFENCE” is a 14-gun twin-screw cruiser, launched at Pembroke in 1907.  She is of 14,600 tons, 27,000 horse-power, and 23 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 490ft., 74ft., and 26ft.  From November 1911 to February 1912 the “Defence,” commanded Henry H. Bruce, had the honour of acting as one of the escort to H.M.S. “Medina.”  The “Medina,” flying the Royal Standard, was conveying the King Emperor, His Majesty King George the Fifth, to India, where his Majesty’s Coronation Durbar was helld at Delhi on December 12th, 1911.

Defiance

The twelfth “DEFIANCE” is a 91-gun screw wooden ship, launched at Pembroke in 1861.  She is of 5270 tons, 3350 horse-power, and 12 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 255ft., 56ft., and 18ft.  This ship, however, was never commissioned until December 1884, when she was appropriated as the stationary Torpedo School Ship at Devonport, and various vessels have been attached to the establishment from time to time, under the general name of “Defiance.”

Delfin
Name Origin: Dolphin.

Delfinen

Name Origin: Dolphin.

Delfino

Name Origin: Dolphin.

Delphin
Name Origin: Dolphin.

Delphin

Name Origin: Dolphin.

Delphin

Name Origin: Dolphin.

Demetre Callinescu

Name Origin: Lieutenant of the 1st Rifle Battalion, killed during the war with turkey in the battle of Grivitza, September 6th 1877.

Demetre Giurescu

Name Origin: Major of the 4th Regiment of Dorobants, killed during the war with Turkey at the capture of Rahova, November 7th 1877.

Democratie

Name Origin: Democracy.  The word is derived from a Greek compound word meaning, literally, “People’s rule.”

Dempo

Name Origin: An active volcano on the island of Sumatra.

D'Entrecasteaux

Name Origin: Joseph Antoine Bruni d’Entrecasteaux, born 1739, died 1793.  He entered the Navy in 1754.  In 1786 he was appointed to the command of the East India squadron.  In 1789, with the Recherche, and Esperance (Captain Kermadec), he was sent in search of the missing expedition of La Perouse.  He searched the coasts of Australia and Tasmania, and visited many islands in the Pacific, touching at places, which no one had ever visited before.  He succumbed at last to the fatigues and anxiety of the druitless search, dying of scurvy in July 1793, on the island of Waigon off New Guinea; Kermadec had died two months previously.

De Ruyter

Name Origin: Michael Adrianzoon de Ruyter, born 1607, died 1676, the greatest seaman of his age.  He entered the Merchant Service as a Cabin boy at the age of eleven, changed over into the States Navy, and attained the rank of Captain in 1635.  From 1642 to 1652 he served again in the Merchant Service, but on war breaking out with Great Britain, he received the command of a squadron and fought Sir G. Ayescue off the Lizard on august 26th 1652, and assisted Tromp in defeating Blake off Dover on November 30th of the same year.  In 1653 De Ruyter was made Vice Admiral of Holland, and fought under Tromp and De Witt at the battles off Portland, February 18th-20th; off Soleby, June 2nd-3rd; and off the Texel, July 29th-31st.  Peace having been concluded, De Ruyter was sent to the assistance of the Danes against the Swedes.  He blockaded the Swedish coast and took Nyborg and Funen.  At the conclusion of this war in 1600 the King of Denmark ennobled him. In 1661 and 1662 he was employed fighting the pirates on the North African coast.  In 1664 hostilities were renewed with England.  De Ruyter captured Goree and other ports on the Guinea coast, and harried British trade in the West Indies.  In 1665, he was made Commander in chief of the Dutch Navy, and June 1st-4th 1666, fought the four days battle off the North Foreland against Monk and Prince Rupert.  The British were the first to retire.  On July 25th another battle ensued, in which the British had the advantage.  In June 1667 De Ruyter, in command of a strong fleet, sailed up the Thames as far as Gravesend, destroyed the royal ships lying at Chatham and in the Medway, and took Sheerness.  Peace ensued until 1672.  On May 26th of that year De Ruyter fought the allied English and French fleets under the Duke of York and Admiral D’Estrees, but was forced to retire.  In 1673 he defeated the allied fleets on June 4th off Schooneveldt, and again on August 11th off Helder.  In 1675 De Ruyter was sent with a small squadron to assist the Spaniards against the French in the Mediterranean.  He met and fought Duquense off the island of Stromboli in January 1676, and on April 22nd fought him once more off Agosta in Siciliy, in which action he was mortally wounded.  He died a week later at Syracuse. 

Derwent

Name Origin: An English river falling into the Irish Sea at Worthington, after traversing the famous Derwent water, the most beautiful of the Cumberland lakes.

The first “DERWENT” was an 18-gun brig sloop, launched at Turnchapel in 1807.  She was of 382 tons, and carried a crew of 121 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 100ft., 30ft., and 10ft.  On July 4th, the “Derwent,” commanded firstly by Commander Frederick Parker, and later by Commander Joseph Swabey Tetley, sailed from Goree, in a fleet of about 20 vessels, under Captain Edward Henry Columbine in “Solebay.”  Several unarmed Colonial vessels accompanied the expedition to give an appearance of force.  They anchored off the bar at Senegal on July 7th to attack the headquarters of a nest of privateers.  On the following day 330 sailors, marines, and soldiers got over the bar after many difficulties which involved the loss of two schooners and a sloop, and the drowning of Commander Parker of the “Derwent.”  On the 9th the enemy retired and took post at Babaque, an island battery which covered seven armed vessels, and commanded a boom spanning the whole river.  The “Derwent” and other vessels bombarded Babaque with such good effect that the enemy expressed a desire to capitulate, and on the 13th Senegal was formally surrendered. In 1817 the “Derwent” was sold.

Desaix

Name Origin: Louis Charles Antoine Desaix de Voygoux, born 1768, died 1800.  During the wars of the Republic he fought under Carnot, and was wounded at the battle of Lanterburg.  During Moreau’s masterly retreat through the Black forest he greatly distinguished himself.  In 1798 he accompanied Napoleon to Egypt and was deputed by the latter to conquer Upper Egypt, which he did in eight months, remaining there in military occupation.  He returned to Europe just in time to reinforce Napoleon at Marengo, where his timely appearance changed the fortunes of the day, but he was shot through the heart at the moment of victory.  He was buried at the Convent of Mount St. Bernard.

Descartes

Name Origin: Rene Descartes, born 1596, died 1650, celebrated French philosopher and mathematician.  He is the author of the Cartesian system of philosophy, the name of which is derived from his name (Descartes = Cartesius in Latin), and is the originator of the modern system of mathematics.

Desideria
Name Origin: Queen Desideria of Sweden and Norway, consort of King Charles XIV.  She was a Mademoiselle Clary, and sister in law of Joseph Bonaparte.
Desperate

The second “DESPERATE” was an 8-gun screw ship, launched at Pembroke in 1849.  She was of 1037 tons, 400 horse-power, and carried a crew of 140 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 192 ft., 34 ft., and 11 ft.  In March 1854 the “Desperate,” commanded by Captain C. J. D’Eyncourt, proceeded to the Baltic directly war with Russia was imminent, and joined the fleet commanded by Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Napier with his flag in “Duke of Wellington.”  Beyond a reconnaissance of some of the batteries, the “Desperate” performed no service of note before the British fleet quitted the Baltic. On March 28th, 1855, the “Desperate,” commanded by Commander Richard Dunning White, sailed from the Downs in a fleet of 88 steam vessels of various kinds commanded by Rear-Admiral the Hon. R. S. Dundas with his flag in “Duke of Wellington.”  They made for the Baltic to take part in the campaign against the Russians, and at once established a blockade of the coast of Courland. On June 20th the “Desperate” and one other ship destroyed five coasting sloops off Pernau, in the Gulf of Riga. On July 17th the “Desperate” and one other ship had a engagement with the batteries and gunboats in the Gulf of Riga. On July 23rd the “Desperate” and one other ship landed a party of men, and captured the town of Arensburg in the Island of Osel.  On August 6th the “Desperate” and one other ship landed a party of men near Domenaes, and having destroyed a Russian sloop and Government buildings, repulsed a body cavalry.  On August 8th the “Desperate” and one other ship had a sharp engagement with some batteries and gunboats near the mouth of the Dwina. On September 20th the “Desperate” and three other ships had a further engagement with the Dwina Batteries. On October 3rd the boats from the “Desperate” and one other vessel destroyed some small vessels and some government stores at the mouth of the River Rua, before finally quitting the Baltic.  In 1860 the “Desperate,” commanded by Commander John Francis Ross, acted against Mexico and occupied Vera Cruz, the Mexicans having postponed the payment of indemnities to persons who may of suffered in recent revolutions.  Without pressing their claims to a definite conclusion, the British forces decided to withdraw.  In 1865 the “Desperate” was broken up.

D'Estrees

Name Origin: Jean D’Estrees, born 1624, died 1707.  Little is known of his earlier naval career, but by 1670 he had risen to the rank of Vice Admiral in the King’s service.  At the battle of Solebay May 28th 1672, he commanded the French fleet, allied to that of England, under the Duke of York, when the Dutch fleet, under Ruyter, was defeated.  D’Estrees subsequently served in the West Indies, where he recaptured Cayenne and Tobago Island from the Dutch.  In 1682 he was made Marshal of France, and in 1686 Viceroy of the American Colonies.

Destructor

Name Origin: Destroyer.

Deutschland
Name Origin: Germany.

Devastation

Devastation

Name Origin: Devastation.

Devonshire

Name Origin: A maritime county in the southwest of England, which has given birth to many eminent seamen, such as Raleigh, Drake, Hawkins, and Monk.  It contains one of the three principal naval ports, Plymouth-Devonport.

Diadem

Name Origin: Band or crown like ornament for the head; in ancient times the emblem of royalty.

The third “DIADEM” was a 32-gun screw frigate launched at Pembroke in 1856.  She was of 2483 tons, 800 horse-power, and carried a crew of 250 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 240ft., 48ft., and 15ft.  On March 12th, 1862, the “Diadem,” while returning home from Bermuda with half the crew of the wrecked “Conqueror,” met the American ship “C.W. Connor,” dismasted and helpless, and was able to rescue the crew, who were in a sore plight. The “Diadem” was subsequently reduced to a 16-gun ship, and under the new rating in 1874 was of 3803 tons and 2979 horse power. In 1875 this vessel was sold. The fourth “DIADEM” is a 16-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Govan in 1896.  She is of 11,000 tons, 16,500 horse-power, and 20 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 435ft., 69ft., and 26ft.

Diamond

The twelfth “DIAMOND” was a 14-gun screw corvette launched at Sheerness in 1874.  She was of 1970 tons, 2150 horse-power, and 13.7 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 220ft., 37ft., and 18ft.  In 1889 the “Diamond” was sold.  The thirteenth “DIAMOND” is a 12-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Birkenhead in 1904.  She is of 3000 tons, 10,066 horse-power, and 22 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 360ft., 40ft., and 14ft. For some years this cruiser was employed in connection with the east coast of England torpedo boat destroyer flotillas, being based on both Chatham and Harwich for this purpose.

Diana

Name Origin: An ancient Italian divinity, identified by the Romans with the Greek Artemis.  She was the moon goddess and also the goddess of the chase.  The ship name commemorates the capture of the French Diane, 36, by the frigates Juno and Boreas in 1758.

The eighth “DIANA” was a 10-gun cutter.  On August 6th, 1808, the “Diana,” commanded by Lieutenant William Kempthorne, captured the Dutch 6-gun vessel “Vlieg” off java. On September 10th, 1809, the “Diana, Commanded by Lieutenant William Kempthorne, discovered the Dutch 14-gun brig “Zefir” at anchor off Amurang in the island of Celebes.  The “Zefir” sailed after dark, and was chased by the “Diana.”  A hot engagement began, in which the damage was all on one side, as the Dutch failed to hit their target.  After seventy minutes fighting the “Zifir” surrendered, with a loss of 5 killed and 8 wounded.  Lieutenant Kempthorne was promoted to commander for this service. In May 1810 the “Diana,” commanded by Lieutenant William Kempthorne, was wrecked and lost on the island of Rodriguez, but the crew were saved. The eleventh “DIANA” is an 11-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Govan in 1895.  She is of 5600 tons, 9600 horse-power, and 19 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 350ft., 54ft., and 21ft. 

Diana

Name Origin: An ancient Italian divinity, identified by the Romans with the Greek Artemis.  She was the moon goddess and also the goddess of the chase.

D'Iberville

Name Origin: Lemoyne d’lberville, born 1642, died 1706, a Canadian, one of seven brothers Lemoyne, who distinguished themselves in the defence of Canada, then a French possession, against the English croaches.  His youth was spent in border warfare.  Visiting France in 1691, he laid before the Government a scheme of defence, which received its sanction, and he was given the rank of Commander in the Navy and the command of the two ships.  In 1695, together with M. de Brouillon, he invaded Newfoundland and captured St John and most of the settlements on that island.  In 1697 he retook Fort Nelson, formerly Bourbon, on the Hudson Bay, and with his 50-gun ship, the Pelican, fought and defeated three English ships, capturing a 32-gun frigate, sinking 12-gun brig, and beating off the other 32-gun frigate.  In 1699 he received the command of an expedition which explored the Mississippi and several of its confluents, founding various settlements and erecting several forts.  For these services he received the rank of Post Captain in 1702.  four years later he commanded a small squadron, which captured the island of Nevis in the West Indies, and died at Havana on the eve of an expedition he was organising for the capture of Jamaica.

Diderot

Name Origin: Denis Diderot, born 1713, died 1784; a brilliant and original writer on many subjects, and a philosopher of the school of Voltaire.  The great work of his life was the editing of the Encyclopaedia in twenty-eight volumes, based on Ephraim Chamber’s work in 1727, and which occupied him over twenty years.  Though very prolific as a writer, he was constantly in money difficulties, and in order to provide a dower for his daughter he decided to sell his library.  The Empress Catherine of Russia, hearing of his straits, bought the entire collection, but requested the philosopher to keep it in Paris until required by her, and to continue himself her librarian at a yearly salary, which was paid him for fifty years in advance.

Dido

Name Origin: In Virgil’s Aeneid the mythical foundress and queen of Carthage.  She received Aneas on his flight from Troy, and loved him so intently that on his departure for Italy, by order of the gods, she had a funeral pyre on the shore, and mounting it, was consumed by the flames as Aeneas ship sailed out of sight.

The fourth “Dido” was a 12-gun screw corvette, launched at Portsmouth in 1869.  She was of 1760 tons, 2520 horse-power, and 13.6 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 212ft., 36ft., and 16ft.  In 1871 the “Dido,” commanded by Captain William Cox Chapman, an officer of great tact and good temper, was instrumental in settling without bloodshed a dispute among the Kings of New Calabar, Bonny, and Ekrika, on the Niger, and in procuring safety for British trade in that river.  In 1873 the “Dido” was similarly successful in settling a number of difficulties which had arisen in Fiji between the natives and the white settlers.  In 1874 the “Dido” was present at the formal transfer of the Fiji Islands to the British flag, and was so unfortunate as to introduce measles among the native population, which resulted in a lamentable loss of life.   In 1876 the “Dido” returned to England after a five-years commission full of valuable though unostentatious work.  In 1881 the “Dido,” commanded by Captain Compton Edward Domvile, took part in the first Boer War.  After the battle of Laing’s Nek, the “Dido” contributed to a Naval Brigade of 50 men and two field guns, which went to the front under Lieutenant Henry Ogle of the “Dido.”  This brigade shared in the disaster at Majuba on February 27th ,  where the “Dido’s” lost 3 killed and wounded 3, and the “Boadicea’s” lost 11 killed, 6 mortally wounded, and 10 severely wounded.  Captain Compton Domvile then proceeded to the front to take charge of the Naval Brigade, but no further took place before a peace was concluded.  This vessel’s name was subsequently changed to “Actaeon,” and she was merged into the Torpedo School at Sheerness, after some service as a mine depot on the Forth.  The fifth “DIDO” is an 11-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Glasgow in 1896.  She is of 5600 tons, 9600 horse-power, and 19.5 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 350ft., 54ft., and 21ft. At her launch on March 17th an unusual accident occurred.  As the ship was moving into the water the ground under the ways suddenly sank, and the ship was thrown out of the cradle, sustaining serious damage.  She lay half in and half out of the water for three days before she was finally floated.  In 1900 the “Dido,” commanded by Captain Philip Francis Tillard, played a minor part in the third China War or Boxer Riots.  

Diligente

Name Origin: Diligent, active.

Diogo Cao

Name Origin: The discoverer of the mouths of the Congo River on 1484.  He made three expeditions up the Congo or Zaire, as he called it, making treaties in the name of King John II of Portugal with the natives, and explored the coast for 360 miles southward.  The celebrated cartographer Martin Behaim, accompanied him on his first expedition.

Disa
Name Origin: Old Norse name for godless, guardian spirit.

Diu

Name Origin: A small island and fort off the south coast of the Peninsula of Cattiawar in India, belonging to the Portuguese since 1515.  In 1539 and 1545 it was vainly besieged by the Mahomedans, and in 1670 was plundered and the port temporarily destroyed by the Sultan of Muscat.

Djerv
Name Origin: Bold.

Dniepr

Name Origin: The river Dnieper; it flows into the Black Sea.

Dniestr

Name Origin: The river Dniester; it flows into the Black Sea.

Dobrovolets

Name Origin: Volunteer.

Dog

Name Origin: Mastiff.

Dogali

Name Origin: A small place near Massowah where, in January 1887, 500 Italian troops, who were proceeding to Sahati with supplies, were cut off by the Abyssinians under Ras Alula, and after a most heroic defence were destroyed almost to a man.

Dolfijn

Name Origin: Dolphin.

Don Alvaro de Bazan

Name Origin: Admiral Don Allvaro de Bazan, first Marquis of Santa Cruz; born 1526, died 1588.  In 1544 he took part in the victory gained by the Spanish fleet, under the command of his father, over the French off the north coast of Spain.  Having attained the rank of Captain General in 1554, he repeatedly and successfully fought the Moorish pirates, and in 1565 assisted at the relief of Malta, then besieged by the Turks.  In 1583, during the war with Portugal, he led a large expedition against the Azores, which he succeeded in capturing.  He was rewarded for these services with the title of Marquis of Santa Cruz, derived for the name of one of the islands.

Dom Carlos I

Name Origin: The late King Charles I, born 1863, assassinated with his eldest son in 1908.

Dom Fernando

Name Origin: Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg, King consort of Portugal, second husband of Queen Maria II da Gloria, died 1885.

Dominion

Name Origin: The Diominion of Canada is a political, voluntary Union of Federation of the whole of British North America (except the island of Newfoundland), sanctioned by an Imperial Act of Parliament in 1867.  It consists of nine Provinces: Ontario and Quebec (formerly Upper and Lower Canada), Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward’s Island, British Columbia, Manitoba, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.

Dom Luiz I

Name Origin: The late King Louis I born 1838, died 1889, second son of Queen Maria II da Gloria and grandfather of the present King Manuel.

Don Juan d'Austria

Name Origin: Don John of Austria (born 1547, died 1578), a natural son of the Emperor Charles V. He was educated in Spain by a friend of the Emperor, and then at the Court of his half brothers, King Philip II.  He commanded the Spanish Army in the successful campaign against the Moors of Granada 1569-1570.  In 1571 he was made Commander in chief of the allied Spanish, Papal, and Venetian fleets, and defeated the Turkish fleet in the great battle of Lepanto.  He became Governor, General of Naples and Siciliy in 1575, and Stadtholder of the Netherlands in 1576, dying somewhat suddenly two years later.

Dona Maria de Molina

Name Origin: Consort of Sancho IV surnamed the Brave, King of Castille and eon, who reigned from 1284 to 1295.  On his death she acted as Regent for her young son, Ferdinand IV, and displayed great ability and energy in that capacity.  She died in 1321.

Donan

Name Origin: Danube, the second largest river of Europe.  Vienna and Buda Pest, the capitals of Austria and Hungary, are situated on its banks.

Donegal

Name Origin: A maritime county in the Ulster province of Ireland washed by the Atlantic.  The ship name commemorates the failure of a French squadron, under Commodore Bompart to affect the landing of a large force on the coast of Ireland in 1798.

The second “DONEGAL” was a 101-gun screw wooden ship launched at Devonport in 1858.  She was of 5481 tons, 3103 horse-power, and 11 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 240ft., 55ft., and 21ft.  After several years service as coastguard vessel at Liverpool, the “Donegal” was merged into the Torpedo School at Portsmouth, and her name was changed to “Vernon” in 1886.  The third “DONEGAL” is a 14-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Govan in 1902.  She is of 9800 tons, 22,000 horse-power, and 23 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 440ft., 66ft., and 24ft.

Donets

Name Origin: Affluent of river Don.

Donskoi Kazak

Name Origin: Cossack of the Don.

Doon

Name Origin: Scotch river, which issues from Loch Doon (Ayrshire) and falls into the Firth of Clyde.

Doonai

Name Origin: The River Danube.

Dorade

Name Origin: Goldfish

Doris

Name Origin: In Greek mythology the wife of Nereus, “the old man of the sea,” and mother of the fifty nereids.

The third “DORIS” was a screw 24-gun frigate launched at Pembroke in 1857.  She was of 5481 tons, 3100 horse-power, and carried a crew of 250 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 240ft., 48ft., and 16ft,. and her speed 12 knots.     In 1862 the “Doris,” commanded by Captain Sir Francis L. M.;Clintock, was one of the escort to H. R. H. the Prince of Wales (later His Majest King Edward the Seventh) upon the occasion when His Royal Highness visited India. In 1867 the British Consul at Cartagena, Colunbia, having complained that his letters were opened and detained by the local authorities, the “Doris,” commanded by Captain Charles Vesey, proceeded to the spot, and made demands which the governor of the town said he had not power to grant.  On February 26th the “Doris” manned and armed three boats, and captured the Colombian government vessel “Colombiano.”  This caused the governor to adopt new views as to his powers, and matters having been satisfactorily arranged, the prize was restored on March 1st.   In 1885 the “Doris” was sold.  The fourth ”DORIS” is an 11-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Barrow in 1896.  She is of 5600 tons, 9600 horse-power, and 19.5 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 350ft., 54ft., and 21ft.  In 1899 and 1900 the “Doris,” commanded by Captain Reginald C. Prothero, and flying the flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Harris, played an important part in the second Boer War.  On November 19th the “Doris” contributed to a Naval Brigade of 350 men, commanded by Captain Reginald C. Prothero, which proceeded to the front, and three days later joined General Lord Methuen at Belmont.  On November 25th the Naval Brigade fought at the battle of graspan.  The men paraded at 5a.m. and after the kopje had been shelled the seamen and marines, led by the flag Captain, advanced on the enemy’s position.  The Boers opened a heavy fire at 600 yards and soon supplemented it with a cross fire.  Nevertheless the brigade advanced steadily by rushes, and in spite of a loss of 15 killed and 79 wounded gained the summit of the kopje, driving the Boers thence in full retreat.  So many officers had been killed and wounded, among the latter Flag Captain Prothero, that the command of the Naval Brigade developed upon Captain Alfred Edmund Marchant, R. M. L. I., who was once promoted to the rank of major.  Thus, for the first time for many years, a Naval Brigade, composed of both Bluejackets and marines, had the honour of being commanded by an officer of the Royal Marines.  A feature of the attack was the bravery of Midshipman Cymbeline Huddart of the “Doris,” who, though twice hit, courageously pressed forward until mortally wounded.  Her Majesty the late Queen Victoria was pleased to honour the Naval Brigade by telegraphing her congratulations on its gallantry, and Lord Methuen paid it a special visit and complimented it on its splendid behaviour.  On December 14th the Naval guns were in action bombarding the Boer positions at Modder River, and a Naval searchlight worked by Midshipman James Menzies of the “Doris” got into communication with the beleagured town of Kimberley.  In February two 4.7-guns proceeded to the front under Commander William Lowther Grant of the “Doris,” and subsequently took part in the battle of Paardeberg and the capture of General Cronje.  This party assisted in the capture of Bloemfontein, and suffered very severely indeed from enteric fever, no fewer than 89 officers and men being taken ill there.  They assisted in the capture of Johannesburg and of Pretoria, and in the subsequent minor operations, turning the guns over to the Royal Artillery, and arriving back on board the “Doris” on October 7th, 1900.  After the battle of Paardeberg General Piet Cronje, his wife, grandson, aide-de-camp, and adjutant were held onboard the flagship “Doris” for about six weeks, previous to their transportation to the Island of St. Helena.  They lived in the Commander-in-Chief’s suite of cabins.  The dress worn by Mrs. Cronje on arrival was badly stained with picric acid, from the bursting of lyddite shell over the trenches, in which she had lain with a noteworthy gallantry. 

Dostoini

Name Origin: Worthy.

Dove

Doxa

Name Origin: Glory.

Draak

Name Origin: Dragon.

Drache

Name Origin: Dragon

Dragon

Name Origin: A fabulous monster generally represented as a winged serpent or lizard, with a crested head, enormous claws and breathing fire through its nostrils.

The fifteenth “DRAGON” was a 6-gun screw sloop launched at Devonport in 1878.  She was of 1140 tons, 1010 horse-power, and 11.5 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 170ft., 36ft., 15ft.   In 1882 the “Dragon,” commanded by Commander Edward Grey Hulton, took part in the Egyptian War.   In August 1882 the “Dragon” contributed to a Naval Brigade which was disembarked at Suez.  The inhabitants understood that the town was in danger of being burnt, but the Naval Brigade, composed mostly of marines, occupied the town, and the Egyptian troops fled.    In 1884 and 1885 the “Dragon” was employed in the suppression of slavery in the Persian Gulf and east coast of Africa.  In 1892 the “Dragon” was sold.  The sixteenth “DRAGON” was a twin-screw torpedo-boat destroyer launched at Birkenhead in 1894 She was of 305 tons, 4400 horse-power, and 27 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 210ft., 19ft., and 6ft.   In 1912 the “Dragon” was sold at Devonport for £1830.

Dragon

Name Origin: Dragon.

Dragonne

Name Origin: Sword knot.

Drake

Name Origin: Sir Francis Drake, born 1540, died 1596; the greatest seamen of his age, equally eminent as a daring and skilful leader in battle and as a profound strategist.  Apprenticed early in life to the master of a small vessel, he commanded the Judith in his kinsman’s John Hawkins, expedition of 1567, and made further voyages to the West Indies in 1570 and 1571.  In 1572 he equipped two small ships, the Pasha and Swan, and with them carried out a successful raiding expedition against the Spanish possessions in the West, burning Porto Bello and numerous Spanish ships.  In 1577 he fitted out a squadron of five vessels with which he sailed upon a secret expedition.  Before he reached the Straits of Magellan his squadron was reduced to three ships.  In the Pacific he lost another ship in a gale, and the only remaining consort parted from the Admiral and returned home.  Drake, in the Golden Hind, touched successively at Valparaiso and Callao, making several rich prizes on the way, crossed the Pacific from the coast of the present California to the Pelew Islands and Java, and reached England via the Cape of Good Hope in 1580.  Queen Elizabeth knighted him on his own quarterdeck at Deptford the following year.  In 1585 Sir Francis was sent out in command of a fleet of 25 ships to raid once more the Spanish Indies.  Meanwhile Spain was commencing her great preparations for the invasion of England, and at his own request Drake set sail early in 1587 with a strong squadron “to singe the King of Spain’s beard,” which was successfully done by destroying 33 ships in Cadiz harbour, without any loss to himself.  On his return he urged upon the queen and her ministers to continue a similar plan of meeting the growing peril from Spain’s sea power, but the soundness of his strategic schemes remained unappreciated.  In the actual encounter with the Armada in the Channel in 1588, Drake, in command of one of the divisions of the fleet, had a brilliant and conspicuous share.  After a few years of rest onshore Drake once more set out at the head of an expedition against the West Indies in 1595.  Taken ill with dysentery, he died off Porto Bello-the scene of his first successes-early in 1596, and was buried at sea.

The twenty-first “DRAKE” was a 2-gun screw gunboat, launched at Pembroke in 1856.  She was of 238 tons, 40 horse-power, and carried a crew of 36 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 110ft., 22ft., and 4ft. In 1857 the “Drake,” commanded by Lieutenant William Arthur, was one of a Franco-British fleet of 32 ships which on December 28th took part in the bombardment of Canton under Admiral Sir Michael Seymour.  British and French troops and a Naval brigade 1500 strong were landed and co-operated in the attack.  On the 29th scaling ladders were sent forward, and an hour after the assault the town was captured and occupied, and 400 guns were destroyed.  The Naval Brigade in the whole operations lost 7 killed and 32 wounded. In August 1860 the “Drake" was one of a fleet of 11 ships and many rocket boats, under Rear-Admiral Lewis Tobias Jones with his flag temporarily in “Dove,” which co-operated with the allied British and French troops, 20,000, in the attack and capture of the Taku Forts.  The Naval work consisted in bombarding the forts and clearing the boom obstructions in the river.  The ships suffered no casualties, but the marines on shore, who behaved with their accustomed brilliancy, lost 1 killed and 29 wounded.  In 1869 the “Drake” was sold for £1156 at Hongkong.  The twenty-third “DRAKE” is an 18-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Pembroke in 1901.  She is of 14,100 tons, 31,450 horse-power, and 24 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 500ft., 71ft., and 26ft. On February 27th, 1905, the “Drake,” while commanded by Captain Mark Kerr, and flying the flag of Rear-Admiral H. S. H. Prince Louis of Battenberg, who commanded the second cruiser squadron, had the honour of a visit in Portsmouth Dockyard from His Majesty King Edward the Seventh, who spent the night on the ship.  

Dreadnought

Name Origin: One of the compound Elizabethan ship names.

The eighth “DREADNOUGHT” was a 4-gun twin-screw turret ship launched at Pembroke in 1875.  She was of 10,820 tons, 8200 horse-power, and 14.5 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 320ft., 64ft., and 27ft.   This vessel’s original name was “Fury,” but it was changed to “Dreadnought” before completion.  From June 8th, 1886, to April 20th, 1888, H. R. H. Prince George of Wales, now His Most Gracious Majesty King George the fifth, served in this ship as a Lieutenant, with the exception of two short periods- August 1st, 1886, to September 16th, 1886, when he was lent to the “Thunder,” and May 20th, 1887, to July 1st, 1887, when he served in the “Alexandra.”   In 1908 the “Dreadnought” was sold at Portsmouth.  The ninth “DREADNOUGHT” is a 10-gun turbine battleship launched at Portsmouth in 1906.  She is of 17,900 tons, 27,500 horse-power, and 22 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 490ft., 82ft., and 26ft.   This vessel represented an important departure from the comtemporary battleship design, and as she was the first vessel of the twentieth century to embody the all-big-gun principle, as well as to be fitted with turbine machinery, much attention was concentrated upon her trials and subsequent behaviour.  On August 5th, 1907, His Majesty, the late king Edward the Seventh, accompanied by Her Majesty Queen Alexandra, Their Royal Highnesses the Prince of Wales, Princess Victoria, Prince Edward of Wales and H. R. H. the Duke of Connaught visited H.M.S. “Dreadnought” at Spithead.  Their Majesties were received by the Board of Admiralty, Vice-Admiral Sir Francis Bridgeman, commanding the home fleet, and Captain R. H. Bacon, who commanded the ship.  The Standard having being broken, Their Majesties inspected the battleship, and proceeding for a short cruise, witnessed some firing by the 12-in. guns, and also a series of exercises performed by the Submarine Flotilla. Soon after his accession to the Throne, His Majesty King George the fifth honoured the Home Fleet with a visit at Torbay.  On July 27th and 28th, 1910, the “Dreadnought,” commanded by Captain H. W. Richmond, flying the flag of Admiral Sir William H. May, the Commander-in-Chief, proceeded to sea for various exercises with the fleet, and His Majesty the King was graciously pleased to go to sea and fly his Royal Standard in the “Dreadnought” on both these occasions.   

Dresden
Name Origin: Capital of the kingdom of Saxony.
Dristig
Name Origin: Daring.
Dristighetten
Name Origin: Boldness.

Dromedar

Name Origin: Dromedary

Drott
Name Origin: The old Swedish term for king.

Druid

Name Origin: The name of the priests and bards of the ancient Britons.

Dryad

Name Origin: In Greek mythology a wood nymph.

The third “DRYAD” was a 9-gun screw sloop, launched at Devonport in 1866.  She was of 1620 tons, 1570 horse-power, and 11.8 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 187ft., 36ft., and 17ft.   In 1868 the “Dryad,” commanded by Commander Thomas Butler Fellowes, took part in the Abyssinian War.   A large Naval Brigade composed of men from several ships was landed at Zoulla on January 25th, and placed under the command of Commander Fellowes.  The Brigade marched inland, and on joining Lieutenant-General Sir Robert Napier, the Commander-in-Chief at Santara on March 30th, it was drilled and fired rockets under His Excellency’s inspection.  On April 10th it rendered valuable service during the action in the Arrogie Pass, where it led the attack up the King’s Road. On April 13th it took part in the assault and capture of Magdala, throwing rockets into the town.  The Brigade behaved admirably and marched very well indeed, earning the warm praise of the Commander-in-Chief.  There were no casualties, and Commander Fellowes of the “Dryad” was promoted to Post-Captain for his services.  In 1868 and 1869 the “Dryad,” commanded by Commander Philip Howard Colomb, did good service against slavers on the East Indian station.    In 1883 the “Dryad,” commanded by Commander Charles Johnstone, went through a peculiar experience at Tamatave in Madagascar.  The French Rear-Admiral Pierre arrived at Tamatave and made certain demands on behalf of the French Government, threatening bombardment if they were refused.  As the British Consul was on the point of death, Commander Johnstone had taken the Consulate papers on board the “Dryad” and had assumed the office of Acting British Consul, landing a guard of marines to protect the Consular building, and placing boats on disposal of British residents.  The native Hovas refused to comply with the ultimatum, whereupon the French flagship bombarded the town, and set fire to it.  The British Marine Guard stayed the conflagration.  A state of siege was kept up, but Commander Johnstone, in face of a greatly superior force, managed to prevent interference with the mails, and saved much valuable property.  The “Dryad” added to the glory of the flag by resolutely clearing for action and showing her readiness to fight if British interests were affected.  It was discovered soon afterwards that Rear-Admiral Pierre was insane, and had acted without  authority.  Commander Johnstone was promoted to Post-Captain for his services.   In 1884 the “Dryad,” commanded by Commander Edward Grey Hulton, took part in the Egyptian War.  In February 1884 the “Dryad” contributed to a Naval Brigade which accompanied the army under General Sir Gerald Graham from Trinkitat in its march inland.  The Brigade took part in the battle of El Teb, distinguishing itself greatly.  The village of El Teb was captured and the Arabs fled, after having suffered a loss of 1500 killed.  It was at this battle that Captain A.K. Wilson of the “Helca” earned the Victoria Cross for his conspicuous bravery in fighting with his fists, and saving one corner of the square from being broken.  After the battle of El Teb, the General Commanding issued a general order in which he especially thanked the Naval Brigade for their cheerful endurance during the severe work of dragging the guns over difficult country, and for their ready gallantry and steadiness under fire.  On March 11th the Naval Brigade advanced from Suakin with the troops for the dispersal of the Arabs who were beleaguering Sinkat.  On March 12th the troops took part in the battle of Tamai.  The Naval Brigade charged the Arabs, got cut off and surrounded, suffered many casualties, and lost their guns.  Order was at length restored, and the Naval Brigade advancing again, had the satisfaction of regaining all their guns.  By this time the Arabs had had enough of fighting, and retired after suffering a loss of 2000 killed.  The total British loss was 109 killed and 104 wounded, to which the Naval Brigade contributed 3 officers and 7 men killed, and 1 officer and 6 seamen wounded.  Among the killed was Lieutenant Houston Stewart of the “Dryad,” who died while defending the guns.  In 1885 the “Dryad” was sold.   The fourth “DRYAD” is a 2-gun twin-screw gunboat, launched at Chatham in 1893.  She is of 1070 tons, 3500 horse-power, and 18.5 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 250ft., 30ft., and 10ft. For some years this vessel acted as tender to the Navigation School at Portsmouth.  

Dublin
The fifth “DUBLIN” is an 8-gun turbine cruiser, launched at Dalmuir in 1912.  She is of 5400 tons, 25,000 horse-power, and 25 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 430ft., 50ft., and 17ft.

Du Chayla

Name Origin: Armand S. M. Blanquet du Chayla, born 1759.  Entering the Navy young, he fought under D’Estaing at Newport in 1778, and under the Comte de Grasse at artinique, Chesapeake Bay, and St. Christopher’s, in which last action he was wounded.  Hr became a Lieutenant in 1783.  He commanded in the Franklin the second division of the French fleet at the Battle of the Nile 1798, where he was wounded.  Hurt by Napoleon’s censure for striking his flag in this action, he retired from the Navy in 1803.  After Napoleon’s fall the Bourbon Government gave him the rank of Vice-Admiral, and named a ship after him.  The date of his death is unknown

Dufa

Name Origin: The driver.  In Norse mythology a goddess of the waves one of the nine daughters of the sea god Aegir and his wife Ban.

Dufferin

Name Origin: Frederick, fifth Baron and first Earl, and Marquis of Dufferin and Ava; born 1826, died 1902.  Governor General of Canada 1872-1878, Ambassador at St Petersburg 1879-1881, Viceroy of India 1884-1888 (during which time Upper Burma was added to the Empire).  He subsequently acted as Ambassador in Rome and Paris.

Dugay Trouin

Name Origin: Rene Dugay Trouin, born 1673, died 1736, went to sea in 1689, and distinguished himself greatly during the war with England and the Netherlands as a privateer.  In 1697 he became a Captain in the Royal Navy.  In 1711 he captured Rio Janeiro, and commanded a most successful expedition against the Barbary States in 1731.

Dugue de Palmella

Name Origin: Dom Pedro de Sousa Holstein, Marquis Marquis and Duke of Pamella; born 1781, died 1850.  At the outbreak of the Revolution of 1807, when the King retired to Brazil, he became regent of Portugal for three years.  He represented Portugal at the Congress of Vienna in 1814.  In 1827 he was Minister of foreign Affairs, but resigned when Dom Miguel usurped the throne, and joined the constitutional party of Queen Maria de Gloria, one of whose chief supporters he became.  During her reign he was repeatedly Minister of foreign Affairs.

Duke of Edinburgh

Name Origin: The late Admiral of the Fleet H.R.H. Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, second son of the late Queen Victoria.  Born August 6th 1844, he joined the Royal Navy in 1858.  As a Captain he commanded the Galaton, Sultan, and Black Prince; as a flag Officer he was Superintendent of Naval Reserves, commanded the Channel Squadron, and was Commander-in-Chief in the Mediterranean and at Plymouth.  Promoted Admiral of the fleet on June 3rd 1893, he succeeded his uncle as reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha on the 23rd August of that year, and died in 1900.

The fourth “EDINBURGH” was a twin-screw turret ship, built at Pembroke as the “Majestic” in 1882.  She was of 9150 tons, 6000 horse-power, 14 knots of speed, and carried four 43-ton guns.  Her length, beam, and draught were 325ft., 68ft., and 26ft.   In her later years this ship was attached to the Sheerness-Chatham Gunnery School.   She was sold at Devonport in October 1910 for £19,300.  The fifth “EDINBURGH” is a 16-gun twin-screw cruiser christened as the “Duke of Edinburgh,” and launched at Pembroke in 1904.  She is of 13,550 tons, 23,685 horse-power, and 23 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 480ft., 73ft., and 27ft.

Duncan

Name Origin: Admiral Adam Duncan, Viscount Duncan of Camperdown; born 1731, died 1804.  His early naval career was uneventful.  Having become Captain in 1761, he commanded the Valiant, bearing Commodore Keppel’s broad pennant at the reduction of Havannah the following year.  In 1780 still a Captain, and in command of the Monarch, he took part in Rodney’s victory over the Spanish under Langara, off Cape St. Vincent, on January 16th.  Having reached Flag rank in 1787, he was promoted Vice-Admiral in February 1795, and appointed to the command of a squadron destined for the blockade of the Dutch coast.  For the next two years and eight months, with rare and short intervals, he kept such close watch on that treacherous coast as to completely paralyse the trade of the Dutch and keep their fleet in port.  When, during his temporary absence to refit at the Nore, the Dutch at last came out, he promptly returned and fell upon them, and on October 11th 1797, totally defeated them off Kamperduin (Camperdown), capturing 9 of their 16 ships of the line.  For these services he was created Baron Duncan of Lundie, and viscount Duncan of Camperdown.

The sixth “DUNCAN” was a 31-gun screw wood ship, launched at Portsmouth in 1859.  She was of 5724 tons, 2826 horse-power, and 13 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 252ft., 58ft., and 20ft. The “Duncan” served as coastguard ship at Queensferry, as flagship at Sheerness, and in 1889 with her name changed to “Pembroke” she became the receiving ship at Chatham.  In September 1905 she became known as “Tenedos II.,”  and in October 1910 she was sold at Devonport for £7525.  The seventh “DUNCAN” is a 16-gun twin-screw battleship launched at Blackwell in 1901.  She is of 14,000 tons, 18,222 horse-power, and 19 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 405ft., 75ft., and 26ft.

Dunois

Name Origin: Jean, “Bastard of Orleans,” Count of Dunois and Longueville, natural son of Duke Louis of Orleans, and grandson of King Charles V of France; born 1402, died 1468.  He distinguished himself greatly in the wars with the English, defeated Warwick in 1427 at Montargis, and defended Orleans until relieved by Joan of Arc in 1429.  In 1433 he took Chartress, and in 1439 assisted at the taking of Paris.  He retook the Duchies of Normandy and Guienne from the English.

Dupetit Thouars

Name Origin: Three generations of distinguished naval officers. 

            (1) aristide A. Dupetit Thouars, born 1760, died 1798.  He fought at the battle of Ushant 1778, and in the North American War.  He was made a Post Captain in 1783.  He equipped and commanded an expedition that sailed in search of the missing La Perouse and on the way home was captured by the Portuguese in Brazil and sent prisoner to Lisbon in 1792.  At the battle of the Nile 1798, he commanded the Tonnant and though a shot carried away both his legs, he refused to be taken below, and died at his post on the quarterdeck.

             (2) Abel Dupetit Thouars, son of the former; born 1793, died 1864.  In command of the frigate Sultane, together with Captain Philbert in the Etoile, he fought a gallant action with the English frigates, Creole and Astrea, on January 23rd 1814, off Mayo Island, Cape de Verde.  In command of the frigate Venus he made a voyage round the world 1837-1839.  Promoted to Rear Admiral in 1841, he dethroned Queen Pomare and established the French Protectorate over Tahitit in 1842, and also annexed the Marquesas and Society Islands.

            (3) Abel Dupetit Thouars, son of the preceding; born 1832, died 1890.  He lost an eye as Midshipman whilst serving in a battery on shore during the Crimean War.  In 1864 he took part in the bombardment of Simonosaki (Japan).  In 1870 he was second in command of the Naval Brigade during the defence of Strasbourg, and when the place fell, went into captivity in Germany.  As Rear Admiral he was Commander in Chief in the Pacific, and acted as arbitrator between Chile and Peru after the war of 1879-1881.

Dupleix

Name Origin: Joseph Dupleix, born about the close of the seventeenth century, died 1763.  the son of a rich farmer general, he made several voyages to America and India.  In 1720 he was nominated member of the superior Council of Pondicherry, and thus began his career as a great colonial administrator, which culminated in his being appointed Governor-General of all French possessions in Indian in 1742.  Having acquired a large fortune in the East he endeavoured to procure for France large territories in India, to which end he entered into relations with the native princes, himself adopting the style of a great Oriental potentate.  But for the bitter mutual jealousy between him and La Bourdonnais, the French Governor of the Isle of Bourbon, he might have succeeded notwithstanding active English opposition.  These conflicts continued until 1754, when Dupleix was recalled.  He had spent most of his great fortune in furthering his political ambitions in India, and died in obscurity and want.

Dupuy de Lome

Name Origin: Stanislas Ch Dupuy de Lome, born 1816, died 1885, celebrated as ship constructor in the French naval service.  He built the first iron ship in France and the first French ironclad, the Gloire.  He was a member of the Defence Committee during the siege of Paris, and constructed a dirigible balloon.  He was Inspector General of the naval arsenals at the time of his death

Durandal

Name Origin: The name of the sword of Roland, who, according to the legend (chanson de Roland), was a nephew of Charlemagne and his most renowned Paladin.  In command of the rearguard of Charlemagne’s army, Roland was attacked in the Pass of Roncesvalles in the Pyrenees by the Saracens and fell with all his men, after performing prodigies of valour.

Durazzo

Name Origin: Town of Turkey in Europe.

Dvenadzat Apostolov

Name Origin: The twelve Apostles.

Dwarf

The fourth “DWARF” was a 2-gun screw gunboat launched at Blackwall in 1856.  She was of 242 tons, 20 horse-power, and carried a crew of 36 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 100ft., 22ft., and 4ft.   In 1863 the “Dwarf” was broken up.      The fifth “DWARF” was a 4-gun twin-screw gunboat launched at Wollwich in 1867.  She was of 584 tons, 495 horse-power, and 10 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 155ft., 25ft., and 9ft.  Towards the end of 1868 a British schooner was captured by Malay pirates near Marudu Bay, Borneo, and three of her men were killed.  Upon hearing of this outrage the “Dwarf,” commanded by Lieutenant Charles F. Walker, started in pursuit, with the Governor of Laubuan on board.  The pirates made a stand on the island of Ubian and, refusing to give up their leader, were punished by a landing party which burnt their village and brought about their submission.   In 1886 the “Dwarf” was broken up at Devonport.  The sixth “DWARF” is a 2-gun twin-screw gunboat launched at Glasgow in 1898.  She is of 710 tons, 1300 horse-power, and 13.5 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 180ft., 33ft., and 8ft.   In 1900 the “Dwarf,” commanded by Lieutenant Frank Hastings Shakespear, played a minor part in the second Boer War. In January 1901 the “Dwarf,” commanded by Lieutenant F.H. Shakespear, assisted in a minor way in some combined Anglo-French operations in the Gambia River against the rebellious chief, Fodeh Cabbah.

Dyelni

Name Origin: Intelligent.

Dyeyatelni

Name Origin: Active.

 

 

Click here to go to our naval history forum

Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Classified Ads
Valuations

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page