WorldNavalShips .com Home Page
Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Google

 

www.worldnavalships.com

Naval History by Country :
ROYAL
NAVY
US
NAVY
GERMAN
NAVY
FRENCH
NAVY
MORE
PAGES
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART
Ship Search by Name :
Product Search         

Home ] Up ] Comments about our Site ] About Our Navy Web ] Acknowledgements ] How to use our site ]

HMS Sturgeon 

Home ] Up ] Vulcan ] [ HMS Sturgeon ] HMS Polyphemus ]

Choose the navy or section of interest below:

Royal Navy United States Germany France Japan Italy Russia Austria-Hungary
Canada Spain Netherlands Argentina Brazil Portugal Turkey Australia
Norway Sweden Denmark Belgium Chile Uruguay China New Zealand
Malta Greece India Poland South Africa Pakistan Libya Kuwait
Ireland Other Navies Liners   Unidentified Ships Wartime Naval Losses
NAVAL ART AVIATION ART MILITARY ART SPORT ART

The Sturgeon was one of the torpedo-boat destroyers specially commissioned in January 1895, and was attached to the Channel Squadron. Her commander at this time was Lieutenant-Commander PS St John. 

The Sturgeon carried a complement of 50 men and was a 27 knot boat, one of the first batch built in 1894. She displaced 251 tons, measured 190 ft in length by 19 ft in beam and had engines of 4,000 horse-power. Her bunkers could take sixty tons of coal. For armament, to attack hostile Torpedo Boats, she carried one 12 pounder and five 6 pounder quick-firing guns and two torpedo tubes in case she was called on to act against a big ship as a torpedo boat herself.

 

 

HMS Sturgeon in 1897

The Sturgeon was one of the torpedo-boat destroyers specially commissioned in January 1895, and was attached to the Channel Squadron. Her commander at this time was Lieutenant-Commander PS St John. The men of the Sturgeon are shown off duty, in various service rigs, as worn for all weathers, and represent all ratings - warrant and petty officers, seamen and stokers. One of the searchlight projectors, which forms so important a part of a "destroyers" equipment, is partially seen on the left. The sturgeon carried six light quick-firing guns, and had a maximum speed of 27 knots.

Bluejackets of the Torpedo Boat Destroyer Sturgeon

Four of the company of the torpedo boat destroyer HMS Sturgeon attached to the Channel Squadron, shown in the rig worn on board in 1896. They are seen on deck in the forward part of the vessel, before the 12 pounder quick-firing gun, mounted above the conning tower as the destroyer's bow chaser. The Sturgeon carried a complement of 50 men and was a 27 knot boat, one of the first batch built in 1894. She displaced 251 tons, measured 190 ft in length by 19 ft in beam and had engines of 4,000 horse-power. Her bunkers could take sixty tons of coal. For armament, to attack hostile Torpedo Boats, she carried one 12 pounder and five 6 pounder quick-firing guns and two torpedo tubes in case she was called on to act against a big ship as a torpedo boat herself.

riginal Photographic image from quality magazine published in 1896 image  size 10" x 8" approx , plus title and specifications. price 20 plus 3 post for UK 10 overseas, recorded airmail  order number ANV12224 order photograph here

Click here to go to our naval history forum

Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Classified Ads
Valuations

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page