World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > New Members > Service Records / Naval Relatives and Friends
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Service Records / Naval Relatives and Friends For service records, and information about your naval relatives, friends and colleagues

Old 03-05-2011, 19:26
Rear-Admiral

Default Service Record: Cdr L.E Pearson

I am researching the service career of my grandfather, Leonard Ernest Pearson, who joined the navy in around 1900, I think as a seaman. I have no date for his promotion to Mate, though I am sure someone in the family has his certificate. He was promoted to Lieutenant on 18.04.1916 and to Lt Cdr on 18.04 1924. He retired as a Commander on 10.02.1927. He returned to the service for the second world war, and finally retired in April 1946.
He served on HMS Milne, an Admiralty M class destroyer of the Dover Patrol where he obtained a DSC for his part in ramming a German submarine in 1917. I have a photograph of this vessel, and also a photograph of the officers (6), which is in very poor condition.
He also served on the following ships:
HMS Birmingham (01.12.1922 to 14.11.1923)
HMS Lowestoft (15.11.1923 to ?1924)
HMS Blenheim (22.08.1924 to ?.01 1925)
HMS Dee (commanding Officer) (01.12.1925 to ?.05.1926)
HMS Beaver (03.10.1939 to ?.02.1941)
HMS Ferret (?.04.1941 to ?.08.1943)
HMS Bunting (commanding Officer) (03.09.1943 to 10.11.1944)
He won a second DSC in WW2, and was once mentioned in despatches.
There are many gaps in his service record, which I hope to fill in, and I post this information primarily for other people who may find it useful. However, if others can help with more detail I shall be grateful.
He died on 2nd November 1972
Old 16-07-2011, 13:24
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: Cdr L.E Pearson

I have just discovered, from my father's birth certificate, that he was serving as Mate on HMS Seal around February 1916.
My father was born at home in Southsea, so presumably Seal was based there at that time.
Steve

Last edited by eskimosailor : 16-07-2011 at 13:24. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 16-07-2011, 16:24
Vice Commodore

Your grandfather was promoted to the rank of Mate on 18 December, 1913. On 27 August, 1914, he was appointed to the destroyer "Nith" in the Ninth (later the Seventh) Destroyer Flotilla on the East Coast of England. "Seal" was also in the Seventh Destroyer Flotilla. On 31 May, 1916, Pearson was appointed to the destroyer "Victor" in the Fourth Destroyer Flotilla with the Grand Fleet.

Two of his service records are available for a price online:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...esultcount =2

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...esultcount =2

After his service in "Milne" he disappears from the Navy Lists I have for the rest of the war.

Simon
Old 16-07-2011, 19:24
Rear-Admiral

Thanks for that Simon. I have got his service records, but you probably know they can be difficult to decipher. There is mention of T.B.s after Milne. I am assuming this means Torpedo Boats, but the sheet is very cramped and written in a close hand.
He was "Placed on Retired List at own request" on 10th February 1927.
His record for WWII seems to consist of just a small section of the remarks column at the foot of the main record.
Once I decipher all this lot I shall attempt to post it here.
Steve
Old 17-07-2011, 13:01
Vice Commodore

Did you download the records or print them at Kew? If the former, you could always add the records as an attachment to a post here on the forum.

Some of the writing is often execrable, but I've found that the quality of the reproduction leaves a great deal more to be desired.

Simon
Old 17-07-2011, 13:50
Rear-Admiral

No, I downloaded them from Kew. Then printed them off on my own printer. Those copies are pretty grim, but the downloads themselves are quite readable once enlarged. Part of the trouble is that my computer and its OS is quite new and I am finding new facilities almost by the day. Recently the problem exercising my mind had been how to format the transcription. Currently I think a 'table' format is the way to go. I'll see how I get on.
Would other people be interested in this service record? It seems a bit personal, but I don't mind disseminating it if it will be of interest.
Steve
Old 28-07-2011, 18:02
Rear-Admiral

While searching for my grandfather's records I also downloaded the record for ERNEST HENRY MORTIMER. It was on the same page as one I wanted. I post it here in case anyone can use it in their own research. I couldn't find the name anywhere else, so I thought this was the best place to put it.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 603.pdf (248.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 31-07-2011, 12:16
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimosailor View Post
No, I downloaded them from Kew. Then printed them off on my own printer. Those copies are pretty grim, but the downloads themselves are quite readable once enlarged. Part of the trouble is that my computer and its OS is quite new and I am finding new facilities almost by the day. Recently the problem exercising my mind had been how to format the transcription. Currently I think a 'table' format is the way to go. I'll see how I get on.
Would other people be interested in this service record? It seems a bit personal, but I don't mind disseminating it if it will be of interest.
Steve
Hi eskimosailor - I must confess that I find reading any copies of service records or other forms and documents extremely useful as I consider that through reading them you learn to interpret these records and extend your knowledge base.

You will note that a steady stream of individuals post their families records on this web site and in many cases gain in return an understanding of the persons service record that they did not previous have and without assistance, I would argue, never would have. The help provided is based on forum members understanding of naval service records which in turn has been acquired through reading and learning in part from documents posted on this and other web sites.

Regards

stontamar
Old 31-07-2011, 12:56
Commander

Quote:
While searching for my grandfather's records I also downloaded the record for ERNEST HENRY MORTIMER. It was on the same page as one I wanted. I post it here in case anyone can use it in their own research. I couldn't find the name anywhere else, so I thought this was the best place to put it.
Steve
Interestingly not only has the service record for Warrant Officer ERNEST HENRY MORTIMER been down loaded but also the service details for Commissioned Gunner PETER SEYMOUR VINCENT LAKEMAN, commissioned 14 October 1922, have also been downloaded.

MORTIMER was killed on 31 May 1916 whilst serving on HMS BLACK PRINCE at Juland whereas LAKE, who appears to have been somewhat of a character, went on to serve during the Second World War.

Interesting!!

stontamar
Old 31-07-2011, 13:15
Commander

Quote:
I am researching the service career of my grandfather, Leonard Ernest Pearson, who joined the navy in around 1900, I think as a seaman. I have no date for his promotion to Mate, though I am sure someone in the family has his certificate. He was promoted to Lieutenant on 18.04.1916 and to Lt Cdr on 18.04 1924. He retired as a Commander on 10.02.1927. He returned to the service for the second world war, and finally retired in April 1946.
He served on HMS Milne, an Admiralty M class destroyer of the Dover Patrol where he obtained a DSC for his part in ramming a German submarine in 1917. I have a photograph of this vessel, and also a photograph of the officers (6), which is in very poor condition.
He also served on the following ships:
HMS Birmingham (01.12.1922 to 14.11.1923)
HMS Lowestoft (15.11.1923 to ?1924)
HMS Blenheim (22.08.1924 to ?.01 1925)
HMS Dee (commanding Officer) (01.12.1925 to ?.05.1926)
HMS Beaver (03.10.1939 to ?.02.1941)
HMS Ferret (?.04.1941 to ?.08.1943)
HMS Bunting (commanding Officer) (03.09.1943 to 10.11.1944)
He won a second DSC in WW2, and was once mentioned in despatches.
There are many gaps in his service record, which I hope to fill in, and I post this information primarily for other people who may find it useful. However, if others can help with more detail I shall be grateful.
He died on 2nd November 1972
Was your grandfather born in Stoke Newington, London on 19 December 1886? if so his official service number on first joining was 225076 and this document is available from The National Archives, see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...esultcount =1

This man, if he is your your grandfather, would have joined later than 1900. Would be interested to see further regarding this thread.

stontamar
Old 31-07-2011, 15:18
Rear-Admiral

I have almost finished transcribing my grandfather's service record, and when finished I will post it on this thread. As commented earlier, there is a lot I do not understand or is illegible for one reson or another. I intend to post my transcription together with the National Archives download, and if anyone can help me with refining my interpretation I will be most grateful.
Thanks Stontamar for that link, I shall follow it up shortly. He is indeed the character you note. All I have at the moment is the Officer Service Record. He was a Petty Officer prior to becoming an Acting Mate.
Somewhere I have his Mate's Certificate. When I find it I shall also post it here, but I think it will have to be in two halves as it's rather large.
Sorry I missed the Lakeman record. I didn't really read the rest of the document
Many thanks to you all. I hope I can someday return the favour
Steve
Old 31-07-2011, 16:10
Forum Moderator

I have transcribed the record that you have posted already.

Leonard Ernest Pearson Royal Navy Service Record
Date of Birth: 19th December 1886
Seniority as Acting Warrant Officer: 16th April 1913

Depot: Nore

Ship/Date of Appointment

Excellent and Vernon to qualify for Acting Mate – 16th April 1913
Acting Mate 18/12/1913 see M/44

Remarks:
1/14 (January 1914) – Conduct Very Good – qualifying for Acting Mate, signed Captain Singer.

You are welcome to add any other records for him as we may be able to read something that is not apparent to you - many hands make light work

Jim
Old 01-08-2011, 09:21
Vice Commodore

For the record Captain (later Admiral Sir) Morgan Singer was the Captain of H.M.S. Excellent.

Simon
Old 01-08-2011, 18:32
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
For the record Captain (later Admiral Sir) Morgan Singer was the Captain of H.M.S. Excellent.

Simon
Thanks for all that Simon. I hope the number of signatories to his S206s (12 or more) will be of interest to others.
Steve
Old 02-08-2011, 18:53
Rear-Admiral

I have at last completed a (hopefully complete) first draft of my grandfather's service record from the time he was promoted to Mate. Parts of it are quite hard to read, and bits have been crossed out. I have inserted a series of question marks where I cannot read the text at all, and highlighted in blue some parts I am fairly sure are wrong.
I have also posted the original download from the National Archives
If anyone more experienced than I is able to make any corrections to my efforts I will be most grateful.
If anyone can use any of the contents I am quite happy if they copy or transpose any or all of the contents.
The note "SEE CARD" presumably relates to the remainder of his WWII record. Does anyone know where I might find this?
Many thanks to all,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Service Record LEP Officer copy.pdf (340.4 KB, 18 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc LE Pearson - Service Record transcribed.doc (38.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-08-2011, 19:41
Vice Commodore

The ship he was in from 27 August, 1914, is Nith, I think. The crossed out bit beneath Milne is "P17 in cd (tempy) (Attentive)." The cancelled appointment in 1920 could be "Vernon for Trawler John Brice in cd on comg."

On 10 July, 1924, I'd say he was "Lent Weybourne in cd ty for R.F. Exs." Lent to the Hunt class minesweeper Weybourne in command, temporarily, for Range Finder exercises.

Simon
Old 03-08-2011, 09:56
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The ship he was in from 27 August, 1914, is Nith, I think. The crossed out bit beneath Milne is "P17 in cd (tempy) (Attentive)." The cancelled appointment in 1920 could be "Vernon for Trawler John Brice in cd on comg."

On 10 July, 1924, I'd say he was "Lent Weybourne in cd ty for R.F. Exs." Lent to the Hunt class minesweeper Weybourne in command, temporarily, for Range Finder exercises.

Simon
Many thanks for that Simon. Of course once someone has pointed out the correct interpretation it all seems to drop into place, and make sense. At least I am getting there. Fortunately his record up to P.O. seems a lot clearer, but I will post it once done.
Thanks again
Steve
Old 11-08-2011, 13:08
Rear-Admiral

I wasn't quite sure whether to post this picture here or on the "Medals" thread, but here for anyone interested are my grandfather's medals. I have these, and a set of miniatures.
I have worn these, on the right, at a couple of Remembrance Day services, but they are otherwise in a case. I believe that only the owner is permitted to wear the miniatures.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandfather's medals.JPG (566.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 13-08-2011, 13:49
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: Service Record: Cdr L.E Pearson

These two pictures were discovered in a 'locket' type pendant of my mother's. I think that the one on the left may be my grandfather, who joined Ganges on 12 Feb 1903. Ships No. 7115.
The other may be his younger brother Percy, who also joined the Navy, but who's career I have yet to pursue.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L.E.P. and Percy?039.jpg (188.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 26-08-2011, 20:11
Rear-Admiral

I have also found this picture among my mother's effects. It is labelled on the back as "Sheerness Division Tennis Team".
I think the chap on the left may be my grandfather, although he was not a particularly tall man, probably about 5ft 9/10 ins. He never made Chief, so is not the one seated, and I don't think he is the one on the right, purely from his looks.
I have no date for this I am afraid.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheerness div tennis team. L E Pearson on left.jpg (1.19 MB, 11 views)
Old 28-08-2011, 19:23
Commander

Quote:
I have also found this picture among my mother's effects. It is labelled on the back as "Sheerness Division Tennis Team".
I think the chap on the left may be my grandfather, although he was not a particularly tall man, probably about 5ft 9/10 ins. He never made Chief, so is not the one seated, and I don't think he is the one on the right, purely from his looks.
I have no date for this I am afraid.
Steve
I think it is clear that the the man standing on the left is the same person as the older of the two youngsters whose photograph was posted on the 13 August. As both photographs came from you mother I would hazard a guess that this is indeed your grandfather.

stontamar

PS have you followed up the lead referring to further details see card and any info on the second DSC and MiD would be interesting?

Last edited by stontamar : 28-08-2011 at 19:56. Reason: Add PS
Old 28-08-2011, 20:19
Commander

Just found the following at http://www.unithistories.com/officer...ficersP1a.html

Pearson,
Leonard Ernest

From Rochester.

Stoke Newington, London
-
Reading district, Berkshire
Seaman [225076]
A/Wt.Offr.
Mate
Lt. 18.04.1916
Lt.Cdr. 18.04.1924 (retd 10.02.1927)
Cdr. (retd) 10.02.1927 (reverted to retd < 04.1946)

DSC 22.06.1917 ramming a German minelaying U-boat off the Thames estuary
DSC 05.09.1944 minesweeping Nore area 05-06.44 [decoration posted]
MID 01.01.1941 New Year 41

(01.1919) no appointment listed
01.12.1922 - 14.11.1923 HMS Birmingham (light cruiser)
15.11.1923 - 1924 HMS Lowestoft (light cruiser)
22.08.1924 - (01.1925) HMS Blenheim (cruiser; CRMS depot ship, Sheerness) (additional; for duty with Central Reserve Minesweepers)
01.12.1925 - (05.1926) Commanding Officer, HMS Dee (fishery protection gunboat (trawler))
03.10.1939 - (02.)1941 HMS Beaver (RN base, Humber) (for miscellaneous duties) (despatches)
04.1941 - (08.)1943 HMS Ferret (RN base, Londonderry)
03.09.1943 - 10.11.1944 Commanding Officer, HMS Bunting (auxiliary patrol base, Harwich) (Bar to DSC)
(01.1945) - (07.1945) no appointment listed

Regards

stontamar
Old 29-08-2011, 19:21
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stontamar View Post
I think it is clear that the the man standing on the left is the same person as the older of the two youngsters whose photograph was posted on the 13 August. As both photographs came from you mother I would hazard a guess that this is indeed your grandfather.

stontamar

PS have you followed up the lead referring to further details see card and any info on the second DSC and MiD would be interesting?
Thanks very much Stontamar for your input. I was reluctant to make the link, as I suspected I may have been seeing similarities where they did not exist. Your contribution has been a great help.
Regarding your second post, that site appears to have been updated considerably since I last visited it. As you probably have seen, I have transcribed and posted my grandfather's service record earlier in this thread, albeit still needing some corrections. So far I have not found a specific reason for his second DSC, and assumed it was for general success in the field of minesweeping. Is this a false assumption? Also where do I find the card mentioned? I thought I had everything on him noted in the National Archives.
As far as the MiD is concerned, would that be in the London Gazette, or do I have to look elsewhere?
Many thanks for your help to date
Steve
Old 07-10-2011, 20:22
Rear-Admiral

I have at last finished transcribing my grandfather's service record while he was still a rating. Copy of the original download from the National Archives, and my attempted transcription attached below.
There are a few words I had difficulty with, and I have highlighted them in red. If anyone has a better idea can they please let me know. Also the contents of the stamp at the end, noting his educational qualifications (for P.O.) looks odd to me, but my computer doesn't want to highlight within a text box.
Any help will be most gratefully received.
If this is of any help to anyone, they are most welcome to download it.
Regards to all
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Service Record LEP rating copy.pdf (229.4 KB, 12 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc LEP Service recors - Rating.doc (53.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-10-2011, 20:54
Forum Moderator

I think the date for HSII is from 2 Oct 06 until 26.4.09
I believe the rank structures and their qualifications changed around 1907 and the suffix o.s. and n.s. to a rank give reference to the Old Scheme and New Scheme respectively.
O.S. refers to a rating that was due to be abolished after 1st October 1907 and N.S. refers to a rating that was established on 1st October.
I think there are two ships book/list numbers for Pembroke I ie 51 and 14, followed by 1541 and 221,
R865/13 Promoted to the Rank of Acting Warrant Officer 16.4.13
Qual(ified) PO Tel n.s. (new scheme) 12.2.09
Over 3 years 27.4.09

Jim

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 6th January 1939 : HMS Euryalus : Launched