World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > All Other Naval Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Other Naval Ships Topics relating to a specific ship or ships from any country not mentioned above

Old 30-09-2010, 13:00
Vice Commodore

Default Royal Indian Marine Survey Ship Investigator

The R.I.M. and its successors have had four survey ships of this name, of which the first, a twin paddle steam ship, was built in 1881.

I've been trying to find out when she was decommissioned, but with no luck (only have Google as a research tool right now). I know she was still in service in the 1890s.

Anyone any ideas?
Old 30-09-2010, 13:04
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Royal Indian Marine survey ship INVESTIGATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaJane View Post
The R.I.M. and its successors have had four survey ships of this name, of which the first, a twin paddle steam ship, was built in 1881.

I've been trying to find out when she was decommissioned, but with no luck (only have Google as a research tool right now). I know she was still in service in the 1890s.

Anyone any ideas?
She was sold (unknown who to) in 1906

Incidentally she wasn't the first INVESTIGATOR. The first one was a survey sloop purchased in 1823

------------------------------------
Walls of wood; Men of iron !!
Old 30-09-2010, 13:13
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Royal Indian Marine survey ship INVESTIGATOR

Rik,

Thanks for that! (and for the correction)

Much obliged.

The frontispiece of Arthur Alcock's book A naturalist in Indian seas has a nice picture of her in Rangoon River, 1889: Alcock was ship's surgeon/naturalist for 4 years from 1888.

"The worst that I can remember of the Investigator was, that we had no ice for our liquor, and very little chance of doing harm to our wit by eating roast beef, and that sometimes we could get only one bucket of fresh water for our morning ablutions... "

Jane
Old 01-10-2010, 00:49
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Royal Indian Marine Survey Ship INVESTIGATOR

I have a feeling that there was another Investigator that also served in the Royal Indian Navy from 1925 until after independence in 1947 and up to 1950.

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 01-10-2010, 01:52
Sub-Lieutenant

Smile Re: Royal Indian Marine Survey Ship INVESTIGATOR

Terry,
you are right,in his book 'In the wake' by Commander E.C. Streatfeild-James,he mentions returning to India as a Sub-Lt.and being re-appointed to INVESTIGATOR and joined her at Akyab ,where she was engaged in carrying out a survey of the port and it's approaches.There is also a photo in the book of the R.I.M.S. INVESTIGATOR surveying in Mergui Archipelago,1931.
best regards
Sid
Old 17-02-2011, 20:26
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:

Anyone any ideas?
My cousin Robin Melhuish (generation above) was in RIM and served in INVESTIGATOR as CO from Sept 1925 to August 1929. Apart from her being a survey ship I have no other details. I would certainly like to know more about the RIM in WW1 and immediately before it. He had the NGS medal 1915 with 1909-1914 clasp Persian Gulf when he served in RIMS Palindurus, but that ship isn't mentioned by anybody on this web-site. But his name and that of PALINDURUS are engraved ont he medal.
Old 17-02-2011, 21:19
Admiral

Quote:

Anyone any ideas?
The old paddlewheeler was replaced by a new INVESTIGATOR in 1906.

(Source: Vice Admiral Sir Archibald Day - "The Admiralty Hydrographic Service 1795 - 1919".)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 19th January 1940 : HMS Codrington : Capt. George Elvey Creasy in Command