World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 13-01-2008, 10:35
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Modern Navy

Hi Everyone.
Just about my first post since joining and things seem to be hotting up in the "None Poster" membership stakes.All good fun eh!
My post however concernes the modern "Navy" and as an endevour to promote rantings here follows my thoughts.
At the weekend I visited the type 42 Destroyer HMS Exeter at the London Boatshow.The atmosphere brought back fond memories of my time in the "pusser"in the mid 60's. However it was very disconcerting to see Supply and secretariat hands showing people around the bridge and explaining pure bull sh... Also the number of petit women in the ships company seemed to shake my visions of my own sea daddy who was a 10 ft tall, 20 stone scouser. And why has the fore and aft rig done away with the 5 or 7 creases in the trousers. Oh woe is me, tooooo much change. Never mind I am sure we are all PROUD of our brave lads and lasses in our armed forces and three cheers to the lot of them.
A happy 2008 to everyone.
tomsam
Old 13-01-2008, 12:09
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: Modern Navy

What you say is true ship mate, it is a different Navy. One of the biggest things which is now very open in all of the armed services is Homosexuality. I was quite miffed to find that when I was on Lusty a few years ago, the WREN Badger (tall beautiful blond) was a Lesbian. Never mind, all the same, a good working crew and as all her peers were of the same age it was accepted (quite rightly), the banter being very funny. Only some of the old salty sea dogs found time to complain.

A Cheer from me also to our brave Lads & Lasses in all our services.
Old 09-02-2011, 18:35
Admiral

The modern navy, where did it all go wrong?
Old 09-02-2011, 18:44
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny07 View Post
The modern navy, where did it all go wrong?
When we done away with steam ships perchance...or was that a coincidence...?
Old 09-02-2011, 18:53
Lieutenant

I couldn't give a date, but I expect health and safety and risk assessment have been contributory factors perhaps leading up to the disaster with the Iranian navy a couple of years ago, But, however disturbing for oldies it is to see Able Seaman Rosie and the rest of the jolly girlies (wo)manning our ships, we can remember the work their their grannies put in in small boats in 1944, and I was so impressed by that SBA (I know it's not the right word) girl decorated in Afghanistan not so long ago. I was so proud of her.

Nobby_N
Old 09-02-2011, 19:09
Admiral

Kate Nesbitt was her name Nobby and she earned her place in history, in our hearts and I think we are all immensely proud of that young lady and all her compadres, they joined the Navy and found themselves like the Naval Brigade of long ago, ashore, in a hostile environment which was alien to all their Naval training but again and again come up trumps.

Banter we may, Old Navy, Real Navy, New Navy, but when it comes down to it the generation of the time will deliver the goods, subject to the Powers that be allowing them to get on with it.

They need all our support when there is so much "Human Rights" "PC" and "Let's not upset the Minorities or Ethnics" being thrown at them.

Like it or not they have a job to do all same as we didn't like some of the things we had to do hoping that somewhere someone knew why we were doing it.

Dave H [Old Navy]
Old 09-02-2011, 20:34
Vice Commodore

Very well put Dave - BZ

Best regards

T
Old 10-02-2011, 20:08
Admiral

Yes nice thoughts Dave, very loyal, but the hard truth is that modern Jack and Jill do not deliver the goods viz a viz Iranians, Pirates Astute, and it's all very hard to take.
Old 11-02-2011, 15:10
Lieutenant-Commander

Angry Re: Modern Navy

Johnny I'd love you to come out to where my young lads and lassies are doing a good job for the country.
Then you can explain to them how rubbish you think they are. Maybe you can give them some tips.
Just drop me a pm be happy to send my BFPO address or wait till we are back in august
Old 11-02-2011, 16:41
Admiral

Quote:
Yes nice thoughts Dave, very loyal, but the hard truth is that modern Jack and Jill do not deliver the goods viz a viz Iranians, Pirates Astute, and it's all very hard to take.
They are not just "nice thoughts". If you check my record I have been quite scathing on occasions towards the Modern Navy, their "leaders" and our "govt" but I also filled in my profile so people can see my pedigree when making comments. It might be an idea to fill in yours so we can see where you are coming from and basing your comments on.

We , and , I think I can speak for many on the Forum , went where we were sent , did what we were told within the constraints at that time , and like it or not hopefully got the job done.

The guys and gals out there today are doing just the same , except that they can't even break wind without someone from the media making a buck on it and all the PC , Human Rights Groups , Pacifists and Ethnic Hard Done Minorities , and Politicians tying one hand behind their backs.

Twas always thus - noone loves a Serviceman in Peacetime but when the kakky hits the fan everyone loves him.

If this offends anyone - tough.

Dave H
Old 11-02-2011, 17:09
Admiral

Well put, Dave

I agree with everything that you posted.

About the Iranian affair. We do not know the orders that were given to the unfortunate lads/Lasses. Opening/returning fire could have caused a much larger international incident which our Government might have wanted to avert.

If anyone knows what the rules of engagement were for this incident then let us know.

Our young servicemen are doing us proud as did our G/Fathers, Fathers and hopefully our generation did

Good luck to everyone of them.

Dave
Old 11-02-2011, 17:39
Rear-Admiral

If some people don't stow their mean-spirited and often ill-informed criticism of today's Jack and Jenny (although I think at least one poster is here just to wind people up), I am tempted to start a new thread titled 'Old Navy' and populate it with some of the noteworthy blunders committed during their (and my) time in the RN. I have hundreds to hand. However, I would do this with the utmost reluctance because I believe this website should be a place to celebrate our Service and its people, not find reasons to fault them in such a curmudgeonly fashion.

Quote:
Adj. 1. curmudgeonly - brusque and surly and forbidding; "crusty remarks"; "a crusty old man"; "his curmudgeonly temper"; "gruff manner"; "a gruff reply"

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 11-02-2011, 17:44
Admiral

"noteworthy blunders committed during their (and my) time in the RN. I have hundreds to hand"

Rob.

If my name is mentioned among them, I'll sue. (I thought I had covered up most of mine)
Old 11-02-2011, 17:56
Admiral

Hi

The only difference between them and us is the time gap. We did the best we could with what we had available and so do they. Good luck to them, they need and deserve it.

Mitch Hinde
Old 11-02-2011, 18:10
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdave View Post
"noteworthy blunders committed during their (and my) time in the RN. I have hundreds to hand"

Rob.

If my name is mentioned among them, I'll sue. (I thought I had covered up most of mine)
Unlike days of yore, this is the age of the internet, CCTV, the CNN factor and the Freedom of Information Act; an age where no matter how remote the location, mobile phones with cameras ensure no mistake goes unnoticed or unpublicised in the media.

As for those who thought they'd got away with long-forgotten misdemeanours in the dim distant past, truth will out in the long run. Instant worldwide communication, FaceBook and Twitter link people with long memories and there is DNA identification to catch you out.

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 11-02-2011, 18:45
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep View Post
Johnny I'd love you to come out to where my young lads and lassies are doing a good job for the country.
Then you can explain to them how rubbish you think they are. Maybe you can give them some tips.
Just drop me a pm be happy to send my BFPO address or wait till we are back in august
Thats great news davep. I really am encouraged to know that some of our people are doing well. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see the fortunes of modern navy take an upturn. over these last few years we have been fed a diet of failure and for old men like me (ex CERA) who live and breathe the navy it's so upsetting. Hms Diamond is visiting Aberdeen so I'll go aboard and talk to the lads and hear what good work they have been doing. I might even start ordering the Navy News to get a more acurate overview. As for huge blunders, where do I start?.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:46
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hoole View Post
If some people don't stow their mean-spirited and often ill-informed criticism of today's Jack and Jenny (although I think at least one poster is here just to wind people up), I am tempted to start a new thread titled 'Old Navy' and populate it with some of the noteworthy blunders committed during their (and my) time in the RN. I have hundreds to hand. However, I would do this with the utmost reluctance because I believe this website should be a place to celebrate our Service and its people, not find reasons to fault them in such a curmudgeonly fashion.
I forgot to mention yesterday that another difference between the old and the young is that we had a proper education and dont require spelling lessons.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00
Admiral

Change your bait cos' I don't think the fish are biting.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:43
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hoole View Post

here here
also I worked with a lot of ex service people from all services. As professionals and as human beings i found them to be no better or no worse than my colleagues who hadn't. For instance there was an ex serviceman who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw, and who was a bully to his colleagues, another is a life long friend. Both served in the 60s and 70s
Old 12-02-2011, 11:43
Commodore

Quote:
I forgot to mention yesterday that another difference between the old and the young is that we had a proper education and dont require spelling lessons.
Define old, define young!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:12
Commander

The old ways are gone lads and not likely to return, get used to it.
Old 12-02-2011, 17:47
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevewyn View Post
The old ways are gone lads and not likely to return, get used to it.

Wonder how the women of todays navy would have got on if they had been watchkeeping down in the boiler rooms of our navy Clevewyne---all the heat and doing bilge cleaning,opening superheater valves etc, no doubt the duty PO of the watch would do it for them being the gentlemen that they were in those days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 18:36
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
Wonder how the women of todays navy would have got on if they had been watchkeeping down in the boiler rooms of our navy Clevewyne---all the heat and doing bilge cleaning,opening superheater valves etc, no doubt the duty PO of the watch would do it for them being the gentlemen that they were in those days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As there is ample evidence showing women operating and cleaning out blast furnaces, welding and riveting sheets of metal together and hauling heavy steel ingots around for up to 12 hours a day during WW II, I imagine they would have got on fairly well. But I doubt that's the answer you were looking for.

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 12-02-2011, 18:54
Commander

ceylon220 has a point though. we belong to an age where you gave your seat on the bus, opened doors for, offered to give a hand to if you saw a lady with a heavy case or whatever.

Today you could get a load of abuse for same what with equal rights and so on. I would find it difficult to change my ways after all this time.
Old 12-02-2011, 19:01
Admiral

On the London underground recently a young woman offered me her seat & though getting on a bit I am not incapacitated. There would appear to be no stereotyping.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 10th January 1944 : HMS Berwick : Sailed Scapa Flow