World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 09-10-2009, 15:38
Sub-Lieutenant

Default HMS Spartiate and her Union Jack

The foreign contingent among the draft may well not know that... Recently the last surviving Union Jack from the battle of Trafalgar is to be Auctioned in London. It is expected to fetch in the region of £15k.
The flag was from HMS Spartiate,a 74 gun French ship captured at the battle of the nile, ( named as Sparti ). It was found in a drawer by one of the decendants of her First Lieutenant, James Clephan.He had the Flag presented to him after the battle by the crew, an esteemed honour
She was broken up in 1842.
I do think that looking at this flag with all the holes from the battle, should go for much more than estimated as it is an object that can never be replaced and that it is the epitomy of all that is England and the Royal Navy. It should be bought and placed in a museum where it can be properly preserved and viewed by all who want to pay thier respects.
Les
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Union Jack from HMS Spartiate.jpg (78.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-10-2009, 17:25
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: HMS Spartiate and her Union Jack

Good suggestion Les, the Victory museum at Pompy would be ideal.
Old 09-10-2009, 20:51
Forum Moderator

Absolutely fantastic relic. Let's hope it indeed finds a place in Portsmouth. When is the auction ... will check my piggybank.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 09-10-2009, 21:11
Sub-Lieutenant

Incredible flag,inspirational,let's hope it's displayed in a fitting manner for all to see.
Sid.
Old 09-10-2009, 21:25
Vice-Admiral

This unique, priceless relic from our history should be bought for the nation for all to see. Could you imagine any other country not doing so? After all, it would still cost rather less than many individual MP's annual expenses!

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.
Old 09-10-2009, 22:07
Sub-Lieutenant

Angry Re: HMS Spartiate and her Union Jack

The more I read about this auction the more annoyed and saddened I am becoming. By what I can gather the flag passed into the possesion of one Charles Miller who owns an auction house. He sells amongst other things marine antiquities. In interviews he has stated and I quote 'It is one of the most important, historical items any collector could expect to handle.What a thing to say from a professional antiques dealer. We just don't handle these sorts of things. It is these types of "Throw Away" comments that leads me to question wether this sale is purely for monetary gain and if it is it is damming in its entirity to all the blood that was spilt over this flag.
The Auction is to be held on ( You guessed it ) the 21st October. Trafalgar Day.
I have included a link from a press source and toward the end there are comments from the public,notably one fellow from the states who comments that us Brits don't value our national treasures very much. How true.
This whole episode is disgusting and shows just how far this wonderful countries morals have fallen.
If any member knows of anyone who can stop this happening please do so
Without Prejudice.
Les A....

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...0-auction.html
Old 10-10-2009, 13:30
Vice Commodore

Hello Les,

Thank you for drawing my attention to this thread. I am not surprised at all. It is a national disgrace the flag that so many sailors gave their lives for is to be sold. I really hope it is purchased by a British institution put I won't hold my breath. I will watch with interest to see the outcome.

Regards

Alan.
Old 12-10-2009, 16:22
Vice-Admiral

There is a full page feature article in today's Daily Mail about this Union Jack, HMS Spartiate and the flag's first owner. Aparantly he was press ganged into the navy and rose through the ranks to become captain. One of the very few to do so. Makes interesting reading!

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.
Old 12-10-2009, 16:49
Commodore

...just one point. It is claimed that the Spartiate flag is unique, in being the only surviving Union Jack from Trafalgar. It is not; the Union flag from the MINOTAUR also survives....it was laid up in Selling Church, Faversham for many years before being removed for conservation. Two captured Spanish ensigns from Trafalgar also still exist.
Old 12-10-2009, 16:58
Vice-Admiral

If you have not seen the article, here is a synopsis.

"On the most memorable day of his extraordinary career, it is unlikely that 2nd Lieutenant James Clephan gave much thought to the Union Jack being shot to pieces on the jackstaff of his ship.

Clephan was a poor man who never intended to go to sea. But fate, economic circumstance and his own personal courage conspired to place him on the quarterdeck of one of Admiral Lord Nelson's men o' war, off Cape Trafalgar in the autumn of 1805. His life had begun 37 years earlier amid far less distinguished circumstances, in Fife. As a boy, Clephan was apprenticed to a weaver in the cottage industry which flourished in that part of Scotland in the mid-18th century. But domestic looms were soon to be overtaken by the Industrial Revolution. Factories replaced cottages and the American Revolution of 1776 then took away one of the weavers' major export markets.

Clephan was not alone in seeking alternative work. Coastal Fife has a rich tradition of producing sailors and it was to the sea that the young man turned. Initially, he joined the merchant fleet, but the Royal Navy soon sequestered his skills. Press gangs roamed Britain's ports looking for men to put before the mast. Records show that on July 23, 1794, the 'Impress Service' caught up with Clephan, then 26.

But for Clephan, this was to be the start of an extraordinary naval career. His first boat was the 26-gun Sibyl, aboard which he was rated an able-bodied 2nd Class Mate, reflecting some previous experience. By October 1796 he had been promoted to Master's Mate, stowing his hammock aboard the 36-gun frigate Doris.

In 1800-01, HMS Doris, commanded by Captain John Holliday, made a thorough nuisance of herself to the French, capturing six merchant brigs and other prizes. During these cruises Clephan must have impressed his captain, because in January 1801 he was made Midshipman. By now he was in his early 30s and probably more than twice as old as some of his contemporaries. Nevertheless, his achievement was notable. Within seven years of being press-ganged, he was a junior officer and would be entitled to have 'Mr' before his name.

On the night of July 21, 1801, boats from the Doris rowed into the anchorage off the northern French port of Brest. There, in the face of French opposition, a party of British sailors boarded the French corvette Chevrette. After fierce fighting with cutlasses, the Chevrette's cables were cut and she was sailed out of the bay to the waiting British squadron. It was a bloody little action. Several of the British had arms cut off trying to board the Chevrette. By the time the fighting was over, three Royal Navy officers and nine men lay dead or dying. More than 50 were wounded. But such daring merited promotion for those who led the way and survived. Among them was Midshipman Clephan - the first Briton to set foot on the enemy deck.

For this he was immediately promoted to 2nd Lieutenant. The elevation was signed off by Admiral Cornwallis, who told Clephan: 'You well deserve your promotion. Few officers have earned it so hardly.' This could not be denied; both socially and physically, Clephan had overcome enormous obstacles and dangers to get so far. He was transferred to the 90-gun HMS Namur, where he served until the Peace of Amiens in 1802 brought Europe a respite from conflict. But the calm didn't last long. Clephan had enough time to marry before a resumption of hostilities with France saw him back at sea the following year aboard the 74-gun HMS Spartiate, a French-built ship captured at the Battle of the Nile.

Spartiate had joined up with Nelson's fleet when his pursuit of the Franco-Spanish force took him across the Atlantic and back. The two fleets finally met off the coast of south-west Spain. Nelson sent his immortal signal, 'England expects that every man will do his duty', and battle was joined. Bringing up the rear was Spartiate - with Clephan aboard - and Spartiate's closest confederate, the 74-gun HMS Minotaur. Being so far behind, they did not take part in the initial stages of the battle, but when ten enemy men o' war attempted to turn and attack the British centre, including the battered Victory, the Spartiate and Minotaur were there to block their paths.
The enemy had closed on HMS Spartiate and chainshot shrieked just feet over Clephan's head. Muskets crackled from the tops of the Spanish 80-gun Neptuno, whose own decks were running with blood. The Spartiate's gun crews were battering her mercilessly, their steady broadsides helping to drown the howls of the British injured and dying. Around Lt Clephan and his shipmates, the seascape off Cape Trafalgar offered any number of hellish scenes.

A single shot had raked the entire interior of the French battleship Bucentaure, killing or maiming 40 of its crew. Aboard the nearby British flagship Victory, Admiral Lord Nelson's secretary had been cut in half by a cannon ball. Eight marines on board were also butchered by a single Spanish barshot.

Some 4,000 sailors would be dead by the evening. William Beattie, the surgeon who treated the dying Nelson, had another 145 casualties to attend during the day. Throughout the action, the tablecloth-size sewn patchwork of 31 red, white and blue strips, which had begun life as naval bunting, had fluttered at the bow of HMS Spartiate. Musketry and shrapnel had rent it - but 204 years later it survives as an unique and enduring relic; not only of the greatest battle in the Royal Navy's history but also of one of its most remarkable sailors.
During the action, Spartiate and Minotaur took on the Spanish warship Neptuno, which was forced to surrender. Compared with other ships at Trafalgar, Spartiate's butcher's bill was slight; three men killed and 20 wounded. Many thousands of British sailors had done their duty that day. After such an immense and total victory, there was a rash of promotions. Once again, James Clephan was foremost among them. He was immediately elevated to the rank of First Lieutenant.

He was not only a brave sailor, but a popular one, too. Spartiate's crew, among whom Clephan was considered 'one of our own', presented him with the tatty Jack which had flown at the bow during the ship's most famous action. It is possible that it had been stitched together by the Jack Tars - as the ratings were known. Then in April 1811, he was promoted again, to the rank of Commander and given his first ship, the sloop Charybdis which saw action in the attempt to take New Orleans.

But in reality, his fighting career was nearing its end. After the post-Waterloo peace of 1815, Clephan was paid off at Deptford and put on half pay. By the time of his retirement, in 1840, he had achieved the rank of Captain. It is thought that James Clephan was one of only 16 men in Royal Navy history to have risen to this rank after being press-ganged.

Clephan died in Edinburgh in January 1851, aged 83. He had kept his flag, which still smelled of gunpowder, from that famous day almost half a century earlier. The relic has passed down the generations until today. For many years it has been kept in a darkened drawer to preserve it from further decay. Trafalgar Day - October 21 - this year will see it change hands for the first time in more than two centuries. "

You can read the full article on the Daily Mail website. (DailyMail.Com)

Old 21-10-2009, 19:46
Vice-Admiral

I have just read on teletext that the Spartiate Union Jack sold for £384,000 (including a 20% premium)! It didn't say who bought it, but it wasn't me. Though I wish I could have afforded it.

Old 22-10-2009, 04:37
Admiral

I understand that the union flag was flown at the fore of all the British ships on Nelson's direct instruction as he had anticipated that the action would quickly degenerate into a free-for-all and that there must be a way of recognising who was who to avoid "friendly fire". The flags were light and hand stitched from thinner fabric to ensure that even when blocked from wind they would still fly with maximum exposure to avoid being mistaken. A fantastic price to pay for this piece of history which must tell us how much people (enough of them to bid it up to this level) really appreciate heritage. However repugnant trade in precious artifacts like this might seem they would be lost forever without it. Sales of medals and awards are another topic that fit this category.....
tim
Old 24-10-2009, 13:51
Admiral

Flag of the Spartiale during the auction.

(For the benefit of Bee..........The Butler and Head Footman are holding it for me to take the picture!!!!!!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flag of the Spartiale.jpg (33.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-01-2010, 16:53
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Southern California now, but originally from Essex.

Having only just joined this forum, I know that this topic is a few months old, but I did have an observation of the flag.
I have just received my latest issue of Naval History, where there is a short article on the auction of HMS Spartiate's Union Jack. There is a good photograph of the flag being held up, and what I immediately noticed was the difference in design compared with today's Union Jack. Namely the diagonal red stripes(St Patrick) are centered on the diagonal white stripes (St, Andrews Cross) And not offset.
Was there a change in design later on?
What my theory is, that maybe the crew of Spartiate, who sewed the flag, probably under the supervision of the sailmaker, that they did'nt want to waste time with the tedious task of measuring the off setting of the stripes.
Any comments on this?
I hope the flag will go on display where the public can view it. Its a national treasure for sure.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 28th January 1913 : HMS Carnarvon : Arrived Bantry Bay

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

Admiral von Spees Flagship SMS Scharnhorst leads SMS Gneisenau in the opening stages of engaging the Royal Naval ships east of the Falklands, 8th December 1914.

Battle of the Falkland Islands by Randall Wilson (P)
Half Price! - £1800.00
 Blackbeard the Terrible, otherwise known as Edward Teach, Thatch or Drummond. Circa 1718.

Damnation Seize My Soul by Chris Collingwood. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
The nuclear-powered submarine HMS Repulse (S23) manoeuvres in preparation to berth at HMS Dolphin in Portsmouth harbour in the late 1970s.

HMS Dolphin by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 HMS Benbow was completed in 1914, built by Beardmore (launched 12th November 1913). On the 10th of December she joined the Grand Fleet serving with the 4th Battle squadron. She was the flagship to Admiral Douglas Gamble until he was replaced in February 1915 by Sir Doveton Sturdee. During† the Battle of Jutland. she suffered no damage. After the war she served from 1919 in the Mediterranean providing Gun fire support to the white Russians in the Black Sea until 1920. She remained in the Mediterranean until 1926 joining the Atlantic fleet for the next three years until 1929 when she was paid off and scrapped in March 1931.

HMS Benbow at the Battle of Jutland by Anthony Saunders.†
Half Price! - £85.00

With HMS Warspite keeping a watchful eye off her port bow, the Illustrious class carrier HMS Formidable prepares to recover a Fairey Albacore TB MK1 of No. 826 sqn. following a vital sortie against Italian shipping at the start of the Battle of Cape Matapan in march 1941. Led by Lt Cdr W G H Saunt DSC, Formidables Albacores launched torpedo attacks on the battleship Vittorio Veneto, seriously damaging her, despite coming under intense anti aircraft fire and a splash barrage of 15-inch shells.

HMS Formidable by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £3000.00
Midday, 21st October 1805, and Admiral Collingwoods flagship, the 100-gun HMS Royal Sovereign, breaks the allied line and delivers a shattering broadside on the Spanish flagship Santa Anna. Making great speed, Collingwoods ship had breached the Franco-Spanish line some distance ahead of the rest of his van and the Royal Sovereign suffered heavily as she quickly drew the attentions of three French and three Spanish ships. To her starboard, the French Indomitable can be seen firing into the British flagship while, astern of the Santa Anna, Belleisle and Fougueux are engaging ahead of Mars, Monarca and Pluton.

HMS Royal Sovereign at the Battle of Trafalgar by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 On the 1st of August 1798, thirteen French ships of the line sat anchored in Aboukir Bay off the coast of Alexandria, Egypt, in support of Napoleon who was inland with his troops attempting to conquer the country. As nighttime approached so did Lord Horatio Nelson and the British fleet. Nelson had been hunting Napoleon at sea for months; at Aboukir Bay he had found the French fleet, trapped and unprepared for battle. Nelsons audacious plan was to attack the French on their unprotected prot side, the plan had its risks; the whole of the British fleet could run aground in the shallows - but Nelson knew the waters too well. The Battle of the Nile was one of the most decisive in the history of naval warfare. By the end of the battle nearly all the French ships were sunk or captured. The 124-gun flagship - and the pride of the French navy - LOrient, had exploded with such ferocity that it halted the battle for over ten minutes. Napoleons ability to dominate the region had been crushed, whilst Nelson was to become a hero throughout the whole of Britain.

Battle of the Nile by Anthony Saunders. (Y)
Half Price! - £305.00
The R-class battleship Royal Oak lies at anchor in Scapa Flow between the wars ahead of her sisters Royal Sovereign and Revenge. HMS Repulse is passing the line on the left of the picture.
HMS Royal Oak by Ivan Berryman. (B)
Half Price! - £13.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

A montage of moments from the outstanding Welsh 6 Nation Championship Grand Slam Victory of 2005.
The Perfect Year - Wales Grand Slam Champions 2005 by Darren Baker. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
DB006. Michael Schumacher by Darren Baker.
Michael Schumacher by Darren Baker.
Half Price! - £75.00
 Jim Clark in his Lotus-Ford 38 winning in the record breaking 1965 Indianapolis 500 Mile Classic.

Jim Clark by Ray Goldsbrough.
Half Price! - £75.00
 England 53 - South Africa 3, Twickenham, Novermber 23rd 2002. England: Robinson, Cohen, Tindall, Greenwood, Christophers, Wilkinson, Dawson, Vickery, Leonard, Thompson, Johnson, Kay, Moody, Back, Hill. (Subs): Dallaglio, Gomersall, Healey, Morris, Regan, Stimpson. Scores: Try - Cohen, 2 Tries - Greenwood, Try - Back, Try - Hill, Try - Dallaglio, Penalty Try, 2 Penalties - Wilkinson, Conversion - Wilkinson, Conversion - Dawson, 2 Conversions - Gomersall, 2 Conversions - Stimpson. <br><br>South Africa: Greef, Paulse, Fleck, James, Lombard, Pretorius, Conradie, Roux, Dalton, Venter, Lambuschagne, Krige, Wannenburg, Van Niekerk. (Subs): Jacobs, Jordaan, Russell, Uys, Van Biljon, Van der Linde, Wentzel. Score : Penalty - Pretorius.

England v South Africa - Investec 2002 by Doug Harker. (Y)
Half Price! - £100.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

New Zealand's highest scoring ace, with 25 victories to his credit, proved himself to be an extraordinary and resourceful leader.  Whilst on a routine patrol in September 1918, Keith Logan 'Grid' Caldwell's 74 Sqn SE5a was involved in a mid-air collision with another SE5a, the impact breaking one of Caldwell's struts and destroying the aerodynamics of his aircraft, which promptly dropped 1,000 ft and went into a flat spin.  Incredibly, Caldwell climbed from the cockpit of his stricken machine and held the broken strut together with his left hand whilst keeping his right hand on the joystick, somehow steering his wayward fighter out of danger and over friendly territory.  With no hope of a safe landing, the Kiwi jumped clear of the SE5a just a second or so before it impacted with the ground. Astounded British soldiers in a nearby trench saw Caldwell stand, dust himself off and walk casually toward them.  He returned to his unit and continued flying until the end of the war.

The Tenacious Grid Caldwell by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £800.00
Depicting two B17s from 92nd bomb group having joined a lone B24 from 93rd. In the background, the distinctive triangles on the tails of the two aircraft denote membership to the 303rd BG.

Motley Crew by Tim Fisher.
Half Price! - £35.00
 The Sopwith Camel was with the mainstay of the Royal Flying Corps.  It is shown here downing an Albatros over the Western Front.

Sopwith Camel†by Anthony Saunders. (P)
Half Price! - £3100.00
 Spitfire L1000 (DW-R) of No.610 Sqn is terminally damaged by an Me109 over Dunkirk on 29th May 1940.  The Spitfire pilot, Flying Officer Gerald Kerr is listed is missing after this combat.

Kerrs Last Combat†by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £280.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Replacements from 1st Battalion Irish Guards and Sherman tanks of the 46th Royal Tank Regiment move through the debris of Anzio town towards their jump-off positions for the Battle of Campoleone Station.

Anzio, Italy, February 1944 by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £2000.00
 Hill 112, Normandy, 28th June 1944.  Infantry of the 11th Armoured Division digging in during the battle for the strategically important Hill 112.  The division comprised of the 8th Motor Battalion Rifle Brigade, 4th King's Shropshire Light Infantry, 3rd Monmouthshires,1st Herefords, 3rd Royal Tank Regiment, 2nd Fife & Forfarshire, Yeomanry and 23rd Hussars.

Digging In by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £700.00
 Trapped within a rapidly decreasing perimeter, the exhausted BEF along with elements of the French 1st Army appeared to be at the mercy of the mighty Luftwaffe. No one though had reckoned on the brilliant leadership of Admiral Ramsay nor the gallant and unstinting efforts of the military and civilians who managed to rescue over 330,000 troops in nine days.

Operation Dynamo, Dunkirk, France 24th May - 4th June 1940 by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
9th (Irish) Field Battery firing on the Run-in-shoot to Queen Beach. They were the first rounds fired at the Normandy Coast, D-Day 6th June, 1944. Queen Beach, one of the 4 sectors of Sword Beach, where most of the landings of D-Day were carried out. The Queen Beach sector which extended for 1.5km between Lion-sur-Mer and the western edge of Ouistretham. The attack was thus concentrated on a narrow one-brigade front. For once the DD tanks and other armour came in exactly on time and ahead of the infantry. The 8th brigade, with the 1st Battalion of the South Lancashire Regiment on the right and the 2nd East Yorkshire on the left.

Operation Overlord by David Rowlands (B)
Half Price! - £20.00