World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 21-09-2009, 13:41
Forum Moderator

Default Trafalgar Day Celebrations

The origins of this post are in the RN Signal Flags, Pennants and Pendants thread where the subject of Victory’s Trafalgar hoists were under discussion and then leading onto Trafalgar Day. I thought there might be some interest in a project I embarked upon a couple of years ago when trying to decide what the centre of attraction might be at the Stratford-upon-Avon Sea Cadets (TS Gurkha) annual Trafalgar Dinner. The proverbial chat over a beer led to a beer mat sketch idea of building part of HMS Victory ..!!

It was decided …. we will have a go! Myself, and the Chairman of TS Gurkha UMC, press ganged a couple of suitably skilled, though sceptical helping hands from the pub.

So what started as an ambitious thought now had to be turned into a design that could be built, and built in such a way so that it could easily be dismantled and re-built as easily as possible – a flat pack ship ..!

After studying original drawings of HMS Victory, and going to Portsmouth to take photographs of the real thing, I created some, concept and design sketches (some shown below). The concept sketches were then dimensioned to achieve an approximate 2/3 scale of the original, except that this was compromised in height and depth in order to preserve perspective and to still allow full scale human interaction. It was planned for it to be a 'stage' at the Dinner from which the evening's proceedings would be directed.

With no budget, a lot of time was initially spent searching for willing donors of materials. It was decided to minimise the range of build materials to make it easier to source, most of the component parts being manufactured from 2”x 1” softwood section and 3mm plywood, stapled and glued together. Some heavier timber sections were used for the poop deck support frame.

The cannon barrels were made, in sections, from 3mm plywood which were steamed and bent round a series of wooden formers, with 22mm chipboard rounds for the rings. The barrels bear the Royal Cipher which was painstakingly machined from thin ply and formed round the curve of the barrel.

Cannon carriage wheels (shown in one of the photos below having a coat of primer) were made from three thicknesses of chip board, cut out round on a bandsaw using a specially made jig to ensure they were perfectly circular.

The main outer section and central hub of ship’s wheel was made from circles cut from plywood spaced out on internal battens, with the outer rim made of plywood sections bent round the circumference. Spokes are made from staircase spindles.

The mast, made in sections, was again made from plywood steamed round chipboard formers. Lots of staples and glue, all then filled, sanded and painted. The yellow ochre paint on the ship was hand mixed to achieved the closest possible match.

The fire buckets were in in fact 14 inch plastic flower pots suitably painted black and gold and the Royal Cipher attached as a sticky label.

Construction took place over the period July to October 2007 in a barn just outside Stratford. Long nights and weekends … It had to be ready for October 27th - the day of the Dinner.

It was finished with one day to spare. Managing to scrounge a 3 ton lorry, and driver, it was a 6 am start on the day of the Dinner, some of the last minute paintwork not fully dry. Whilst confident of the re-erection, no risks could be taken of having a half built ship … no real idea how long it was going to take ... there are always unforeseen problems aren’t there! Eight inches clear of the Ballroom ceiling … I’m sure it wasn’t that tight when I measured it ..?? Well finally, as the hotel staff started laying the top table and sprigs in the afternoon, we were applying the finishing touches, hanging the flags and bunting, and looking forward to well earned liquid sustenance ..!! It was a hell of a dash to return home and squeeze into the DJ in time for pre-dinner drinks and the sound of ‘Roast Beef of Olde England’ announcing dinner … phew, that was hard work.

The attached local magazine article (pdf file) describes the Trafalgar Dinner itself at which Jeffery Dench (Dame Judi’s Brother) was one of the guests of honour. He recited a narrative from the deck of the Victory relating to moments during the Battle.

The photograph of the two suited gents on deck is one of myself (taller of the two) and the Chairman of TS Gurkha.

It was a busy Summer, but a very worthwhile and enjoyable evening that remains an ‘immortal memory’ to me.. It was a shame to dismantle the old girl the following day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VictoryDrawing_1.jpg (1.53 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryDrawing_2.jpg (1.55 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryDrawing_3.jpg (1.16 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryDrawing_4.jpg (1.65 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryDrawing_5.jpg (381.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryBuild_1.jpg (1.39 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryBuild_2.jpg (1.63 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryBuild3.jpg (1.41 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryTrafalgarDinner_1.jpg (1.50 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryTrafalgarDinner_2.jpg (1.37 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryTrafalgarDinner_3.jpg (1.57 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryTrafalgarDinner_4.jpg (1.49 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryTrafalgarDinner_5.jpg (1.47 MB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf VictoryTrafalgarDinner.pdf (934.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryDrawing_6.jpg (767.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryBuild_4.jpg (1.68 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryBuild_5.jpg (1.46 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg VictoryBuild_6.jpg (1.77 MB, 9 views)

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Last edited by Dreadnought : 21-09-2009 at 15:16.
Old 21-09-2009, 15:18
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Trafalgar Dinner

Hi Dreadnought, makes little effort Ive been having at home for the last few years look a bit sad, we can only do what we can do.
(see attached)

Derek (Bunts)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEC.jpg (487.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 21-09-2009, 15:57
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Trafalgar Dinner

Clive I congratulate you and your friends on a wonderful project. It is amazing that a conversation over a drink ever to see the light of day. Were the guys who made the props theatre scene designers. My interest is woodwork, and I could see the build quality was for lightness and visual effect. And it worked, you have every right to feel proud of the whole event. My family on my mother's side come from that part of England. Henley in Arden, and Wootton Wawen, I spent a pleasant couple of weeks tracing back the family I knew very little about. It seems they were farmers, and my GGG/Grandfather to my great delight. Was the inn keeper
of the 'George and Dragon' in 'Henley in Arden.' His name was William Hurlstone. Great effort Clive lovely posting.

Alan
l
Old 22-09-2009, 06:15
Commander

Thumbs up Re: Trafalgar Dinner

Great effort Clive BZ to all involved. Now I have an idea to put forward for our Trafalgar Dinner...erm all done on the cheap was it?

Cheers
Jack
Old 21-10-2009, 11:28
Admiral

Default Re: TRAFALGAR:BELOW DECKS

Is Anyone Celebrating Trafalgar Today ?

Ednamay
Old 21-10-2009, 12:46
Crossed the Bar

In ADELAIDE South Australia we have already celebrated Trafalgar Day today.
50 members & friends of the Adelaide RNA Branch enjoyed a lunch at Anzac House and toasted with a Tot, to the immortal soul of our Lord Nelson. this week is Navy Week is Navy Week, on Sunday we have a combined RNA & RN Church Service, where we will be parading our Ensign. Regards Doug. Birch
Old 21-10-2009, 13:38
Vice Commodore

hello edamay. Not today but I do and have inivited a few of my friends ex navy some not to celebrate Trafalgar Night. I like to think I follow the traditions of a true Trafalgar Night, with Royal Toasts and to the emortal memory of our greatest naval admiral of all time..

Photos to follow

Derek (bunts)
Old 21-10-2009, 13:44
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Nelson and Trafalgar

Hi all, unfortunately we do not have much to celebrate in this country, but I think we should think back on our great history and remember those who fought and died in the historic battle of Trafalgar on this day in 1805, and of course the memory of our greatest Admiral of all time. Admiral Nelson.
Old 21-10-2009, 14:29
Admiral

This is a report of the Trafalgar Day celebrations of 1905

Pity is still doesn't happen. I suppose we wouldn't want to upset our fellow European Union Brothers and Sisters in France and Spain, would we?

We don't seem to have many complaints when the Americans celebrate "We kicked the Brits out Day" (4th July)

I suppose we will all have to wait until 2105 for that to happen. See you all there!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg October 21, 1905.jpg (1.62 MB, 17 views)
Old 21-10-2009, 15:05
Vice Commodore

Oh how I agree, think Trafalgar day should be taking the place of the outdated St Georges Day. Lets stand together and say no to the EU.

Derek (Bunts)
Old 22-10-2009, 10:50
Admiral

Thanks, Doug and Derek; I remember that at my school in Portsmouth we used to sing a 'naval' hymn at assembly and remember his immortal memory. I don't know if they did so at other schools

Nowadays all I can do is raise my glass to him!!

Ednamay
Old 24-10-2009, 11:50
Forum Moderator

Trafalgar Day Speech given by First Sea Lord , Andrew Browne Cunningham, 1st Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope, KT, GCB, OM, DSO (1883 1963) in 1944.

Is there room in today's Navy for 'Nelsons' .... I wonder ..?

But he was right about one thing ... the Victory is still open to visitors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TrafalgarSpeech.jpg (675.3 KB, 18 views)

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 24-10-2009, 16:28
Admiral

All the while this is an island and we have a Navy - there will always be a place for Nelson's despite all the PC Brigade, Human Rights Maniacs and Politicians. Conflict produces Nelson's - politicians only suppress initiative in their strive for self gratification.

Dave H
Old 24-10-2009, 16:35
Forum Moderator

Dave ... Bravo ... go straight to the Wardroom and give yourself a double measure ...!!

Old 24-10-2009, 16:38
Admiral

Done ..... and thanks ........ Barsteward accepted the proxy.

Dave H
Old 24-10-2009, 17:39
Admiral

Clive , we expect another Picy of you so don't get to R.A before you get one taken

Must be Dave's outfit you borrowed for the evening as Harry's would have been a tad tight and to long

hope you have a good time
Old 24-10-2009, 20:34
Forum Moderator

Ha ...!! That just made me laugh out loud (as they say). Believe it or not, I actually made the outfit, and it doesn't bear too close inspection by the initiated. But I tried to model it as exactly as I could to the the Great Man's Trafalgar uniform, complete with replica decorations. I wish I could get it out and wear it more often .... always feels damn good ...!!

Ruined a good pair of cricket trousers making the briefs ...!! (not visible in the pic in the 'Pictures of Ourselves' thread)

So, to complete my self inflicted embarassment, here are a couple more (Xmas 2007) ... my soul is now totally bared ..........

Will leave it up to Terry whether or not these should be moved to the other thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nelson_2.jpg (839.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Nelson_3.jpg (536.3 KB, 27 views)

Old 24-10-2009, 20:43
Admiral

Rather good pics if I may say so Curr, but since you are in Statford upon Avon then what else should we expect

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 24-10-2009, 21:43
Admiral

If your quick Arry will get a sharp stick and a ladder and poke you in the eye to give you the finishing touches .......and don't worry he also has an odd pair of black socks he can make a patch with .....very resourceful golly our arry
Old 24-10-2009, 22:35
Admiral

"but since you are in Statford upon Avon then what else should we expect"

I suppose a rendition of

Emma, Emma. Wherefore art thou Emma!!!!!!!!!!

or might it be

A Ship! A ship. My eye-patch for a Ship!

Last edited by qprdave : 24-10-2009 at 22:47.
Old 24-10-2009, 22:58
Admiral

hey up Dave good job you can spell SHIP!!

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 24-10-2009, 23:11
Admiral

Oh Noooo

I can't spell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25-10-2009, 07:01
Admiral

Good Morning Clive hows the "Head"

No ....your head , no headache and standing upright I trust !

Lets see the Picture then.............................................. .
Old 25-10-2009, 10:26
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednamay View Post
Thanks, Doug and Derek; I remember that at my school in Portsmouth we used to sing a 'naval' hymn at assembly and remember his immortal memory. I don't know if they did so at other schools

Nowadays all I can do is raise my glass to him!!

Ednamay
Have tried to remember the hymns but the only one that comes to mind is 'Eternal Father, strong to save'; anyone remember any others?
Old 25-10-2009, 10:50
Admiral

Hi Edna,

Yes we at the Ganges Association Devonport Division have a lunch gathering on the 21st every year that the day is not a Saturday.

Then on the nearest Saturday we have the traditional Trafalgar Night Dinner.

Ours was last night and a good night it was with the RN Surgeon Commodore recently returned from Afghanistan being the after dinner speaker and toastmaster. He delivered what I and others thought was the finest account of Trafalgar that I have ever heard.

Dave H

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 13th January 1934 : HMS Dunedin : Arrived Nelson