World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 29-01-2011, 21:57
Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: Television Programmes of Interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by INVINCIBLE View Post
Dennis,

Well done.
I wonder if anybody has the Morse episode shot in HMS NELSON and Portsmouth Naval Base. It had some good ship views and an interesting portrayal of a naval court martial. It was sometime ago.
Sadly we still have the courts martial taking part in HMS NELSON. Brief details are posted at the entrance gates and some get into the local papers.
Could someone tell me the name of the episode as I have all the Morse's I cannot find it. It could be that I'm going blind or daft of course.
Old 29-01-2011, 22:28
Lieutenant

Quote:
Dennis,

Well done.
I wonder if anybody has the Morse episode shot in HMS NELSON and Portsmouth Naval Base. It had some good ship views and an interesting portrayal of a naval court martial. It was sometime ago.
Sadly we still have the courts martial taking part in HMS NELSON. Brief details are posted at the entrance gates and some get into the local papers.
I'm not a fan of Morse, but could you possibly be thinking of Kavanagh QC which also starred John Thaw? This has an episode entitled 'The Burning Deck' which features a court martial at Portsmouth.
Old 30-01-2011, 17:34
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrake079 View Post
I'm not a fan of Morse, but could you possibly be thinking of Kavanagh QC which also starred John Thaw? This has an episode entitled 'The Burning Deck' which features a court martial at Portsmouth.
Yes you are absolutely right! I do recall now that I was confusing Kavanagh QC and Morse, both having been played by John Thaw. I apologise for any disinformation to members of the Forum.
I think I enjoyed Kavanagh QC more than Morse, but there were far fewer episodes. I do remember the NELSON episode, it was quite some time ago, but it did have a couple of good shots of the naval base and I would watch it again if ever it was repeated on TV.
Old 30-01-2011, 17:54
Admiral

Quote:
Yes you are absolutely right! I do recall now that I was confusing Kavanagh QC and Morse, both having been played by John Thaw. I apologise for any disinformation to members of the Forum.
I think I enjoyed Kavanagh QC more than Morse, but there were far fewer episodes. I do remember the NELSON episode, it was quite some time ago, but it did have a couple of good shots of the naval base and I would watch it again if ever it was repeated on TV.

Ok check out Amazon "Kavanagh QC complete series 5 DVD's £27.50

Hope this helps Guys
Old 30-01-2011, 18:39
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
Ok check out Amazon "Kavanagh QC complete series 5 DVD's £27.50

Hope this helps Guys
Many thanks - had not thought of that. Not sure I would want to buy the complete set as it is only really the episode shot in Portsmouth that I would watch again. I think that the son of the late Captain Beeson, went into producing TV dramas and had a hand in producing that one.
Old 31-01-2011, 11:43
Chief Petty Officer

I have just watch the 17 minutes of The Burning Deck and I am troubled by something.

I understand dramatic effect but would you be allowed to say in a Courts Martial things like "go get the Joss" (unless quoting something someone had said), "Steaming Bats", "Crimp off a length"?

It may have been a plot device to show that the Civvy lawyers didn't understand Navy Speak but I'm sure the Killick Stoker would have been told to use English.

P.S. I have never been involved in a Courts Martial so the above may correct.
Old 31-01-2011, 11:54
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by regg3y View Post
I have just watch the 17 minutes of The Burning Deck and I am troubled by something.

I understand dramatic effect but would you be allowed to say in a Courts Martial things like "go get the Joss" (unless quoting something someone had said), "Steaming Bats", "Crimp off a length"?

It may have been a plot device to show that the Civvy lawyers didn't understand Navy Speak but I'm sure the Killick Stoker would have been told to use English.

P.S. I have never been involved in a Courts Martial so the above may correct.
A court martial is an internal naval trial and certainly everybody would have fully understood the terms (civvy lawyers would have had the terms explained to them).
I have sat in on quite a few courts martial (never as an accused!) and evidence has always been “…in your own words…” Naval expressions are some times much more expressive than using the Queen’s English. How are you watching the Burning Deck is it on TV or the internet?
Old 31-01-2011, 21:38
Admiral

Hi All

Watched Terry Wogans very interesting walkabout of the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland. Pity he didn't mention the Sunday lunch time sesh in the Foyle Club while in Londonderry. Learnt more about the history of Ireland than I ever did at school.

Mitch Hinde:
Old 05-02-2011, 18:48
Admiral

Royal Navy Carribean Patrol - Channel 5 - documentary series - starts 9pm Monday 7th Feb - HMS Manchester featurng.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 05-02-2011, 20:50
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Royal Navy Carribean Patrol - Channel 5 - documentary series - starts 9pm Monday 7th Feb - HMS Manchester featurng.

Little h
Thanks Harry ....will try to remember to watch that
Old 08-02-2011, 12:55
Vice-Admiral

I watched the first episode, which seemed to give the atmosphere of the crew in the hunt for smugglers and contraband: anyone else have any comments?

Edna
Old 08-02-2011, 13:38
Chief Petty Officer

Smile Re: Television Programmes of Interest

Ednamay, That's exactly what they are out there for, to look for drug runners, but also to provide assistance during the Hurricane season to anywhere that may get hit. They did help out during the deployment , but I can't remember which island it was. My son is the Chief Caterer on the ship until she pays off next month.
Old 08-02-2011, 14:37
Admiral

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/fe...arship-patrols

............and that, ends that!
Old 08-02-2011, 17:08
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednamay View Post
I watched the first episode, which seemed to give the atmosphere of the crew in the hunt for smugglers and contraband: anyone else have any comments?

Edna
Hi Edna, what sort of navy is that (bunks) beds, scuttles (windows)

Derek (Bunts)
Old 08-02-2011, 17:21
Admiral

Hi All

When did they allow pictures to be stuck on bulkheads? They only used to be allowed stuck on the inside of locker doors in case they fouled the suction hoses in cases of water ingress. Do they not watch "Seven Silly Sailors" these days?
The scran bag would have been full with all the clothing left hanging about.

Mitch Hinde

Seven Silly Sailors-Damage control film highlighting the perils of leaving gear loafing about and other mistakes that led to the ship being lost.
Old 08-02-2011, 18:49
Admiral

C'mon Mitch, they can't get modern day guys [and, yuk, gals] to join the Navy unless they are provided with, and accept, Cruise Liner conditions. We of the former real Navy have to move forward and accept that in order to have anything to put under a White Ensign it must be accepted that the integrity of the ship is second to the comfort of the crew.

Having said that if we asked today's matelot if he/she ever gets inconvenienced they would probably say that it is gruesome at action/defence stations and the general public don't know the terrible conditions they have to operate under.

Or am I just being a dinosaur ???

Last edited by Dave Hutson : 08-02-2011 at 18:50. Reason: insert one word wa would - probably
Old 08-02-2011, 19:28
Admiral

Sunday night saw the first of a four episode drama "THE PROMISE" on Channel Four.

This drama tells the story of one Soldiers life from liberation of Belsen/Dachau through the establishment of Israel. I found it quite moving and some scenes at the beginning very graphic, gruesome and somewhat upsetting. But if the first episode is to be analysed the remaining episodes will tell the story well.

Recommended.
Old 08-02-2011, 19:37
Ordinary Seaman

Smile Re: Television Programmes of Interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
C'mon Mitch, they can't get modern day guys [and, yuk, gals] to join the Navy unless they are provided with, and accept, Cruise Liner conditions. We of the former real Navy have to move forward and accept that in order to have anything to put under a White Ensign it must be accepted that the integrity of the ship is second to the comfort of the crew.

Having said that if we asked today's matelot if he/she ever gets inconvenienced they would probably say that it is gruesome at action/defence stations and the general public don't know the terrible conditions they have to operate under.

I did this patrol 40 years ago in HMS Lowestoft, then it was called West Indies guard ship. Left Chatam in March '71 and returned in December. Best trip of my 25 years in the mob.

John
Old 08-02-2011, 20:55
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Hi Scurs

In light of the Guardian report my comments in post 181 are superfluous.
The way she has been sunk no amount of damage control would help.
What are they thinking of?

Mitch Hinde
Old 09-02-2011, 13:35
Chief Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post

Yes, you are. Manchester's accomodation is hardly 'cruise liner' standard, but thank goodness we've got away from the damp, primitive post-war pension traps that stank of stale rum, oil and vomit that presumably you served in the days of the 'real' Navy.
Did you watch the scenes in the operations room? You need professional, alert, highly trained staff to run a modern warship, not people starved of sleep, existing on lukewarm meals cooked in near insanitary conditions and useless for half the day anyway having got outside enough rum to blind a horse.
The young men & women of our armed forces today are a credit to the nation, and most of them have seen more action in the last five years than many on this forum saw in twenty.
Old 09-02-2011, 13:57
Admiral

Hi omanip . well we have both opened that one up so we can stand for incoming - on tinhat and duck
Old 09-02-2011, 14:20
Admiral

Well, well............all these years and I never realised that a Leander Frigate classified as a "Post War Pension Trap".
...........and smelt of "rum,vomit and oil", or that our meals were cooked in "near unsanitary conditions"....................is wonderful what one can learn on this site.

Suffice to say I disagree with above.
Old 09-02-2011, 15:26
Chief Petty Officer

Well I was exaggerating a tiny bit! But the way some on here wax lyrical about the Navy of the '50,s and 60's you'd think they were ALL on a cruise!
Old 09-02-2011, 15:32
Crossed the Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by omanip View Post
...........The young men & women of our armed forces today are a credit to the nation, and most of them have seen more action in the last five years than many on this forum saw in twenty.
Probably so omnip. Would agree with the first part of your statement. But I would remind you that an integral part of the Royal Navy's role is maintaining the peace.

Did that for twenty five years and got the t-shirt.

Job jobbed. Didn't kill anybody. Happy with that.
Old 09-02-2011, 16:19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omanip View Post
Yes, you are. Manchester's accomodation is hardly 'cruise liner' standard, but thank goodness we've got away from the damp, primitive post-war pension traps that stank of stale rum, oil and vomit that presumably you served in the days of the 'real' Navy.
Did you watch the scenes in the operations room? You need professional, alert, highly trained staff to run a modern warship, not people starved of sleep, existing on lukewarm meals cooked in near insanitary conditions and useless for half the day anyway having got outside enough rum to blind a horse.
The young men & women of our armed forces today are a credit to the nation, and most of them have seen more action in the last five years than many on this forum saw in twenty.
Hi All

HM Ships Woodbridge Haven, St Brides Bay, Striker. All WWII vintage, All spotless, good food cooked in clean conditions and not a bucket of spew anywhere in sight, and all great drafts.
Got the PJM so at least the Malaysian government appreciated our efforts.

Mitch Hinde (Another dinosaur and proud of it).

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 31st January 1933 : HMS Durban : Sailed Victoria