World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 09-09-2009, 18:16
Commander

Default Re: Television Programmes of interest.

Not only cringeworthy but a sad shake of the head. I felt that the off duty antics in the messdeck appeared contrived for the benefit of the camera and when the table appeared in the seamens' mess I half expected a hard fought game of uckers.

When I finished in 58 there was some talk of mess kit for chiefs and POs but we never really thought it would happen. As for dining with the Admiral, that would have been a pipe dream (or a nightmare depending on who it was). It certainly is a different navy now.

Ken
Old 18-09-2009, 10:39
Admiral

Question TRAFALGAR:BELOW DECKS

Did anyone else see this absorbing account of Trafalgar. based on the journals of William Beattie, ship’s surgeon on Victory? It was on More Four, 10pm on Wednesday 16th September

Hair-raising is a mild description; the noise, the confusion, the carnage - and the decisions? First come first served for treatment, or get the officers back on deck in control? Tell people how badly Nelson was injured? Try to remove the musket ball from his back and injure his spine more, or allow him to wait for his death and inspire the crew?

Incidentally, we usually say TraFAL’gar, but I have heard it said TRA’falgar; is this a foreign or historical period pronunciation??

Ednamay
Old 18-09-2009, 11:14
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: TRAFALGAR:BELOW DECKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednamay View Post
Did anyone else see this absorbing account of Trafalgar. based on the journals of William Beattie, ship’s surgeon on Victory? It was on More Four, 10pm on Wednesday 16th September

Hair-raising is a mild description; the noise, the confusion, the carnage - and the decisions? First come first served for treatment, or get the officers back on deck in control? Tell people how badly Nelson was injured? Try to remove the musket ball from his back and injure his spine more, or allow him to wait for his death and inspire the crew?

Incidentally, we usually say TraFAL’gar, but I have heard it said TRA’falgar; is this a foreign or historical period pronunciation??

Ednamay
You say what you like Dahl!
A tour around Victory is a must. Being a sensitive sort of guy the hairs on the back of my neck rose when on the orlop deck, painted red to hide the blood. There was a definate presence there

Best mates stay in your memory long after they have gone
Old 18-09-2009, 13:13
Admiral of the Fleet

One of our artists researched a series of paintings on Nelson's Battles, and we have put online some of his photo references for the project, taken aboard HMS Victory. Here's a link to the page of photos, but I've also included some of the below deck shots he took - not that they made it into the paintings of course. I think he got special permission to go to some areas usually out of bounds. I personally have not visited the ship, so can't say what areas these are / were.

http://www.ivanberryman.com/hms_victory_photo_file.htm

Old 18-09-2009, 13:14
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednamay View Post

Ednamay

Ednamay,

I saw that program and I thought it was very well done. As they discovered later Nelsons spine was shattered and his lung was damaged. At William Beatty's court martial they found he acted correctly. He was later knighted, and was put in charge of the Royal Naval Hospital in Greenwich. A lot of the men who saw action at Trafalgar are buried in a little grave yard in East Greenwich. Pronunciation of Trafalgar, the second sounds more French.

Alan
Old 18-09-2009, 13:41
Vice Commodore

Nice link KC, I went a board the Victory about forty years ago. I think I am about due another visit. Nelsons stateroom looks impressive, but like Steve I remember the Orlop. The Greenwich Maritime Museum, had a model of the Victory with a cut-out section. The next time Im down there I will photograph and post it.

Alan
Old 18-09-2009, 14:02
Admiral

Good pictures KC. I too haven't been on the Victory for over 40 years, when I was sea training from Ganges. Before you say anything, I didn't go to sea on it!!!!!

Passed it more times than I can remember making my way to the main gate.
Old 18-09-2009, 14:11
Commander

I walked past HMS Victory everyday for years, only been on it twice though. I think the guides are civillians now, they use to be serving sailors. Kevin.
Old 18-09-2009, 15:41
Commander

Thumbs up Re: Television Programmes of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafu View Post
Depicted in "The Enemy Below" starring Robert Mitcham and Curt Jurgens. Winner of the 1957 Awards for best special effects.
Not that good a memory, just read it off the dvd box

Good movie just finished watching it on dvd

Cheers
Jack
Old 18-09-2009, 17:45
Sub-Lieutenant

wARSHIP MONDAYS CHNNEL 5 2100...... A COMPLETE EMBARRASMENT
Old 18-09-2009, 20:07
Forum Moderator

Totally agreed! Could you please see my PM to you?

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 18-09-2009, 23:58
Admiral

re. Matelots being guides.

It used to be a good trick for an off duty matelot guide to travel around with the tour as a tourist. On completion. he would bring out ten shilling or a pound and in a loud voice congratulate the guide for an enjoyable and informative tour and make sure that everyone saw the money exchange hands. Not wanting to seem to be ungrateful, everyone then contributed, which was shared 50-50 when the tourist left the ship. Must have kept the pubs on the Hard in business for some time!!!!!
Old 19-09-2009, 00:18
Sub-Lieutenant

Have any of you real sailors a link, or can rememberthe rigging of a nine pounder.
I turned a brass replica many years ago and would like to mount it on a wood base.

Old 19-09-2009, 04:53
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackaroo View Post
Good movie just finished watching it on dvd

Cheers
Jack
Jack search out, RunSilent Run Deep,Dass Boot and The Cruel Sea all good viewing and come from a time when actors acted

Old 19-09-2009, 06:57
Commander

Thumbs up Re: Television Programmes of interest.

Quote:
Jack search out, RunSilent Run Deep,Dass Boot and The Cruel Sea all good viewing and come from a time when actors acted

"Snorkers! Good Oh!"

Yes have them in my dvd collection as well as We Dive at Dawn and Above us the Waves from the time when actors were actors

I thought for a minute you were going to mention that written for the public, Sea Patrol shown on Hallmark in the UK and channel Nine here. Not as good as Patrol Boat ABC here, and not the the BBC Patrol Boat.

Still, different times and all that.

Cheers
Jack
Old 19-09-2009, 09:24
Sub-Lieutenant

Do you remember the BBC "Warship" the lead actor a Petty officer went on to star in "The Bill", or were you still in Nappies?

Old 19-09-2009, 11:31
Admiral

Thanks all for the comments, and I love the photographs.

Growing up in Portsmouth, I went over many times in the old days - with school trips, taking family visitors, etc.

When I returned to Portsmouth with my husband and young son in 1968, we 'did the tour' and Neil later slept on the Foudroyant for a schools weekend - hence his interest in naval history !

When we moved to London in 1975, we introduced him to Greenwich and the Cutty Sark.

Although I now live nearer to the Victory, I haven't visited because I have not checked whether there is access for the disabled - apart from Nelson himself (stop being flippant!)

Edna
Old 19-09-2009, 15:39
Commander

Quote:
Do you remember the BBC "Warship" the lead actor a Petty officer went on to star in "The Bill", or were you still in Nappies?
I said in my post 'BBC Patrol Boat', of course I should have said "Warship"

I remember Warship "HMS Hero". Bryan Marshall played the Captian for a while.

Cheers
Jack
Old 20-09-2009, 22:31
Ordinary Seaman

I saw the program, or at least the end part. I found it very interesting, but it didn't strike me quite as untidy enough. I had the feeling space was limited on these ships, yet there seemed plenty of room for the cast to wander about and chat in a corner. Descriptions I have read of Jutland talk about bodies littered all over the place groaning quietly away or just lying about dead where the wounded were collected together and doctors were trying to work on them. Floors awash with bloody water to reduce the risk of fires. I don't know how much damage there really was to Victory or how many crew were injured, but it seemed very tidy. No nasty cannonballs whizzing through. The feeling I got was that they weren't allowed to get the set messy.
Old 20-09-2009, 22:45
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by damocles View Post
I saw the program, or at least the end part. I found it very interesting, but it didn't strike me quite as untidy enough. I had the feeling space was limited on these ships, yet there seemed plenty of room for the cast to wander about and chat in a corner. Descriptions I have read of Jutland talk about bodies littered all over the place groaning quietly away or just lying about dead where the wounded were collected together and doctors were trying to work on them. Floors awash with bloody water to reduce the risk of fires. I don't know how much damage there really was to Victory or how many crew were injured, but it seemed very tidy. No nasty cannonballs whizzing through. The feeling I got was that they weren't allowed to get the set messy.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/n.../trafalgar.htm
Have a look on here, a complement of 592 British nationals, Americans and West Indians. There is a list on the site of all the men lost in the battle,
I'll let you count the Victory ones for your homework

Old 21-09-2009, 15:25
Admiral

Default Battle of the Atlantic

I missed the first three in the television series but I am making a note to follow up the rest (another four, I think).

This session dealt with Admiral Doenitz's attempt to use 'wolf-packs' of uboats to stop the convoys in the north Atlantic, the problems presented by (a) the very slow merchant vessels and (b) the the 'air gap', where aircraft could not provide cover. The long-range aircraft and incrasing number of air bases helped to deal with that, but allied technology (asdic, radar) were additional help - and the horrendous weather of the north Atlantic was a help to the ships and a hindrance to the subs.

The other theme was the attempt to use uboats to hinder the D day landings, and, later, the relocation of the uboat bases to Norway after the allies had captured St.Nazaire and the other bases on the west coast of France.

Good to know that some of these events are being recaptured to keep us all in the loop.

Edna
Old 30-09-2009, 09:30
Admiral

Default HMS Bulwark; the Modern Navy

I missed the earlier programmes of Warship, on Channel five, but I caught last night's episode (Tuesday) and watched the navy and marines on a training exercise up the river, in the jungle - and having some modern 'dance and skylark', diving and swimming, letting off steam. Also saw the men doing GCSEs, preparation for later, after service.

They promised next week's episode will include 'Crossing the Line' , with appropriate fun and games; I shall be interested to see how it compares with my Dad's book/photographs/tales of when he was on Renown in 1920.

Ednamay
Old 30-09-2009, 12:56
Forum Moderator

Default Re: HMS Bulwark; the modern navy

It will be an interesting programme Ednamay, but the recipe for the celebrations hasn't changed all that much over the years. Plenty of water and flour and high spirits being the main ingredients.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:30
Admiral

As a child, I was fascinated by pictures of 'ossifers' and men, plus the Prince and his retinue, all being subjected to this ritual on the Renown in 1920; according to my father, it was the happiest ship he ever served on - but he still preferred destroyers!

Ednamay
Old 02-10-2009, 08:29
Lieutenant-Commander

This programme has been very good and I've enjoyed alot, the only thing that bugs me is earlier on in the series they had a small training war game where Marines came ashore and matelots were playing the bad guys and as part of the exercise they had to role over and play dead.

Sorry I didn't realise the Taliban did this, on my visits the sods have worked and fought hard - so why didn't they at least try and make it a little bit harder for the Marines to work against..... Yes I know its all blanks and most Matelots are not warfare trained but an idiot should be able to work out what is a good place to set up and what is a bad place, if you are going to train in taking a position then put some effort into it.

Danny
P.S. Anyone else noticed that the Bootnecks have come across as ignorant pains in the arses when onboard? nothing changed there then.....

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 10th January 1939 : HMS Griffin : Lt.Cdr. John Lee-Barber, RN In Command