World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 10-02-2011, 18:42
Admiral

Default Re: Television Programmes of Interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by omanip View Post
Well I was exaggerating a tiny bit! But the way some on here wax lyrical about the Navy of the '50,s and 60's you'd think they were ALL on a cruise!
Looking at the TV programme of Manchester in the Caribbean, we ,in Troubridge had a lot of good runs ashore, no searching for drug runners in those days. I was interested in the remarks of crew about their living spaces (messdecks), they certainly looked cluttered & small, however, they all had bunks & from what I could see large kit lockers. The officer who reckoned his cabin was small, it was three times bigger than my cabin in Tiger.
Old 10-02-2011, 23:05
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omanip View Post
Did you watch the scenes in the operations room? .... You need professional, alert, highly trained staff to run a modern warship, not .... people useless for half the day anyway having got outside enough rum to blind a horse.
Omanip,
Whilst I accept that you took some considerable 'licence' in the whole of your post from which the excerpts above have been taken and you ask a question to which my answer is; yes!!! but to what end was your question posed? Was the next part of your 'licence' meant to infer that those in the RN in the 50's, 60's and 70's were not professional, not alert, and not highly trained enough to run the modern warships of the time???

In the Daring Type 45 thread some similar inferences were made on there ... and what did we witness in the film on that occasion ... an ops room launched into uselessness because of a system freeze ... all screens inoperable by their highly trained operators; and whilst under air attack, with not one person on/in the bridge able to identify the incoming threat by mark one eyeball.

You do us a disservice.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 11-02-2011, 09:26
Rear-Admiral

Succinctly put h and roundly supported by those of us who served then and were prepared to put our lives on the line too.
More power to your 'pen' Harry.

best wishes
Jan
Old 11-02-2011, 11:55
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Steer View Post
Succinctly put h and roundly supported by those of us who served then and were prepared to put our lives on the line too.
More power to your 'pen' Harry.

best wishes
Jan
Yes, the Gut and Bugis Street could get really nasty sometimes.

Now, can we all accept that today's Jack and Jenny are no better or worse than they used to be? They are just different to reflect the modern, fast-action technological age in which we all find ourselves these days. They have aways done what has been expected of them and continue to do so. So let's call a truce, please?

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 11-02-2011, 12:43
Admiral

Agreed Rob ...... Yeoman ........ Peace Lily -----hoist.
Old 11-02-2011, 18:30
Admiral

Is it me, or do others think that difficulties are now translated as extreme danger. The hyp at the start of the Manchester programme, illustrates what I mean. The dangerous bit was carried out by US Coastguards.
Old 11-02-2011, 19:09
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Is it me, or do others think that difficulties are now translated as extreme danger. The hyp at the start of the Manchester programme, illustrates what I mean. The dangerous bit was carried out by US Coastguards.

Amen to that Sandy.....could not agree more based on what I have seen so far

I accept the point that others strenuously strive to point out ....I was never in the Navy ...accepted graciously .....but the service personnel were doing what they were trained for ...and doing it well ...as was the US COASTGUARD
Old 11-02-2011, 19:12
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
A TV documentary that hypes up the dangerous atmosphere for dramatic effect? How novel!

I thought the theme was more about the need to remain ever watchful and alert during such a monotonous day-in, day-out routine for weeks on end - shades of Beira Patrol. Although they eventually struck gold, their general lack of action only went to prove their success as a deterrent. The episode also demonstrated how our warships are hamstrung by legal restrictions that stifle initiative; did you notice that they had to obtain permission from the shoreside authorities to conduct a boarding of the tug and barge? Approval took four hours to arrive.

Like the Nottingham incident with the Iranians, this demonstrates the tortuous legal reality of maritime constabulary (policing) duties performed by the RN worldwide in contrast to combat operations conducted by the Army in Afghanistan.

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 11-02-2011, 19:26
Admiral

You have it there Rob ... Today we live in a world where everything is "Trial by Media" and nobody is going to take action without dotting all the "I"'s and crossing the "T"'s. In days gone by FO's and CO's followed their orders, made their decisions, and, god willing it came out right. Sadly, not anymore, with the advent of IPOD. Mobile, Internet etc the world knows what is happening as soon if not before happens.

Does this make for a better outcome - only time will tell - personally I think it was simpler in days gone by - but then we didn't have the constraints they have today.

Mind you - I do remember a crossroads in Aden during the withdrawal when the Armoured vehicle covering the withdrawal was being fired upon having to wait three hours for permission to return fire and that was 1967 so things haven't changed much.
Old 11-02-2011, 19:26
Admiral

Interesting and valid point Rob ,

Yes I did notice the point you make regarding authorising ....and thought at the time it was a hurdle ...but one assumed that if you are in their back yard helping them and supplying the means of apprehending the suspected drug runners with their nationals aboard that it would have been authorised by the personal on board
.....but I suppose that was the agreement reached before me we were allowed to get involved ...strange set up though
Old 11-02-2011, 19:49
Sub-Lieutenant

I thought Colin Mitchell sorted out Crater City without too much recourse to Whitehall, I remember them calling that the 'Last Battle of the British Empire'. Of course that was in the days when you could always blame poor communications and it was often easier to seek forgiveness than seek permission!!
Regards
Buster
Old 15-02-2011, 19:33
Imir

Quote:
Is it me, or do others think that difficulties are now translated as extreme danger. The hyp at the start of the Manchester programme, illustrates what I mean.
What about the crew having to 'Store ship by hand', because the conveyor had broken!': and " this hasn't been done before, since Nelson's time"?

Come on, tell us this isn't true guys. Some of you must have done this, surely.
Old 15-02-2011, 19:40
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imir View Post
What about the crew having to 'Store ship by hand', because the conveyor had broken!': and " this hasn't been done before, since Nelson's time"?

Imir,

I never helped to store ship other than by hand to hand daisy-chain!!! However as I have posted recently we ammunitioned ship on Battle Class Destroyers using a 'slide' similar to a piece of guttering through the scuttle/porthole whilst alongside. Ammunition was still hand-balled through messdecks and down through hatches.

Little h

Old 15-02-2011, 19:41
Admiral

Imir,

Yes we did, but, back along the media wasn't struggling to make programmes because we had something called entertainment - now unless you are cooking, selling houses, renovating property, eating insects, becoming next year's singing or dancing sensation there isn't anything to make programmes about so everything has to be sensationalised or dramatised in the hope that someone will watch it.

Now every little event is turned into a drama.

Dave H

Sorry "Yes we did" - Store and Ammunition Ship by hand.
Old 15-02-2011, 19:42
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imir View Post

Yes that made me chuckle to Imir .....I thought last nights episode was the best yet ........was getting worried last week when they showed the water at the bottom of the ladder .........thought I would have to go and get the lads to shore up like I've been told they did in damage control
Old 15-02-2011, 20:42
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Imir,

I never helped to store ship other than by hand to hand daisy-chain!!! However as I have posted recently we ammunitioned ship on Battle Class Destroyers using a 'slide' similar to a piece of guttering through the scuttle/porthole whilst alongside. Ammunition was still hand-balled through messdecks and down through hatches.

Little h
Hi Little h

You should be very careful mentioning daisy chains.
I didn't realise there was another way of storing ship.
Tank ammo on LST's came in over the side and was stacked on the upper deck under the landing craft davits.

Mitch Hinde
Old 15-02-2011, 20:51
Admiral

Reminds me of a time when, on the Hermes, we were storing ship and everything was passed along hand to hand. Two lads were sent down the beer locker to stack the crates as they were passed down to them.

On completion, the canteen assistant dropped the hatch and locked it. After a while it was discovered that the two lads were missing and we were ordered to do a "search ship"*. The Hermes turned 180 to search our wake.

Eventually they were found. If I say they had to be brought up by Neil Robinson Stretcher, you know what they had done!!!!!!

At Defaulters, they used the excuse that they thought that they would die of thirst and seeing that the beer was the only thing liquid down there........

It didn't work. 14 days No.9s were handed out.

*Search Ship:- Every department is responsible for a certain amount of compartments for cleaning etc. When a "Search Ship" is ordered all departments have to unlock/open all of the spaces that they are responsible for and report that all have been searched and are clear.

Dave
Old 16-02-2011, 00:15
Sub-Lieutenant

Thanks Dave, had a good laugh at that one as much as I was amazed at the problems thay had on the Manchester, is she really 30 years old is that not a record for an operational Destroyer.

Ron
Old 17-02-2011, 14:56
Admiral

I have put my comments on the last episode in the Manchester thread, so I'm not going to do it all again.
Old 18-02-2011, 11:27
Captain

Location: Darlington,Co Durham, (Born and bred in St.Albans,Herts.)

Next tuesday at 10p.m. on the Discovery Channel....Sky 520 Virgin 212...H.M.S Ark Royal. Her final mission.Should be interesting!
Cheers, Stan
Old 06-03-2011, 16:31
Admiral

Noticed a trail run on Sky News channel the other day.

A new programme/series(?) coming soon showing UK Nuclear Submarine Skippers undertraining. I suppose the modern equivalent of COQEX and the Perisher Course. It will be aired on the Discovery History channel.

Little h

Old 06-03-2011, 22:31
Admiral

JUST STARTED ON ITV 1 - MY DAD'S ARMY - programme featuring the children of members of the British Army who have lost their lives in conflict/war. Runs till 2320hrs.

Little h

Old 07-03-2011, 09:52
Captain

Does anybody know how I could get in touch with two well known British TV actresses?The Lawson sisters ,Sarah and Anne,who are both now in their eighties appeared in numerous films and television shows until about 1990.
Sarah Lawson was married to Patrick Allen(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Allen) until his death in 2006.
By now you are probably wondering what is the naval connection?Both sisters came from a naval family and their brother was a Lieutenant who was lost when HMs/m Turbulent was lost in 1943
Old 07-03-2011, 10:03
Banned

Question Re: Television Programmes of Interest

Did anyone catch the Antiques Roadshow these past two Sunday evenings
at Dartmouth Naval College-some fascinating nautical items.

jainso31
Old 07-03-2011, 11:35
Admiral

Antiques Road Show ---------- wouldn't miss it for worlds!

Edna

PS I expected to see Terry Astraltrader pop up at any moment!

Last edited by Ednamay : 07-03-2011 at 11:37. Reason: Amendment

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 27th January 1946 : HMS Bermuda : Sailed Chemulpho