World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 29-06-2009, 13:07
Rear-Admiral

Default Communications in the Royal Navy

After numerous requests, at last a place of our own. Gentlemen it would seem that in the modern navy our trades are no more. At least not in the form that we all knew anyway. So before we all disappear and our memories with us let's put down what we remember from our comms. days. C'mon get those brain cells working and tell us your stories albeit happy memories, sad ones, of ships, men and places long gone and the way we did our jobs.
Over to you chaps!

Best wishes
Jan
Old 29-06-2009, 13:14
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Communications ratings only

Hi Jan, great Idea for us comms rates, Im' off on hols to Malta for the next two weeks but Im' sure I can put something together about my time as a communicator when I return.

Derek (Bunts)
Old 29-06-2009, 13:51
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dicker View Post
Hi Jan, great Idea for us comms rates, Im' off on hols to Malta for the next two weeks but Im' sure I can put something together about my time as a communicator when I return.

Derek (Bunts)
don't forget your duties now ... Sunrise and Sunset... have a good hols
Old 29-06-2009, 14:59
Admiral

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=A..._pages&cad=0_1

You may want tave a buthcer's hook at this link folks and in its midst is a wealth of detail about equipment of all sorts.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 29-06-2009, 15:04
Commodore

Location: Western Australia (Emigrated here, from England, in 1962 with my parents and 2 older brothers)

Hi Jan,
Couldn't help but notice your new thread...great idea. As you will see by the attachment...I've just enlisted my late Dad, Douglas (onto your thread). He, like you, was one of the earlier Naval Communicators (although he was quite a bit earlier than you.) I'll post a couple more photos of him in his radio cabin later.
For the uninitiated the photo is of:
S/M Douglas Barrow, D/JX 340355 TEL TO, MGB 357 Coastal Forces (WW2).
Cheers,
Bee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Project47.jpg (25.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 29-06-2009, 16:50
Admiral

Here we go , sow a seed and big apples will follow. Good on yer Bee , another Scouser to join Harry. Have a good vacation Derek, have a Blue for me and give my regards to the Gypo Queen and Galvanised Donkey if the paintwork hasn't faded too far.

Dave H
Old 29-06-2009, 18:03
Admiral

and lets hope he doesn't fall out of the Garry or better still we could get Joseph to ride shotgun.
Old 29-06-2009, 18:07
Admiral

probably won't get down Crucifix Hill for dead Gharry Horses - but at least after a couple of bottles of Coleiro's finest he won't have to climb the Barracca Lift......oops tales out of skool ..... or swim Grand Harbour ..... Custom House Steps to the Barbary Coast ....... [stop giving him ideas
Old 29-06-2009, 18:09
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
probably won't get down Crucifix Hill for dead Gharry Horses - but at least after a couple of bottles of Coleiro's finest he won't have to climb the Barracca Lift......oops tales out of skool ..... or swim Grand Harbour ..... Custom House Steps to the Barbary Coast ....... [stop giving him ideas
Crushers lament coming up "cant sleep here jack ...customs house steps"
Old 29-06-2009, 18:11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Here we go , sow a seed and big apples will follow. Good on yer Bee , another Scouser to join Harry. Have a good vacation Derek, have a Blue for me and give my regards to the Gypo Queen and Galvanised Donkey if the paintwork hasn't faded too far.

Dave H
Tsk Tsk there Dave, how much better those fine folks from Birkenhead will tell you tiz the Wirral where they live not Scouseland!!!!
Old 29-06-2009, 18:24
Rear-Admiral

Did I start a comms thread or was it a "Let's all remember Malta thread"?
You could have mentioned the commcen or the hand message runs at least!!!

Best wishes
Jan
Old 29-06-2009, 18:33
Rear-Admiral

Good to hear from you as always Bee and a great pic of your dad. My own dad, who passed away a few years ago, was also a Tel TO and a Devonport rating too. He left when he married mum in '48 then got called back for the Korean war. He always said that it was never the same when he went back and that in a short space of time the navy had changed so much. He never stopped talking about his navy days until the time he left us. I was with him shortly before his end and he was recalling his good times so vividly that at times he just couldn't speak because he was laughing at the memories so much!
What a great way to go out!
I miss him

Best wishes
Jan
Old 29-06-2009, 19:02
Admiral

Good little story about your Dad, Jan

What is it with Matelots that they never get tired of telling stories starting with "When I was in the Navy"

Whether at work. At home. Down the pub. We are always ready to bore people stiff with our stories

ooooppppssss Sorry Non-Comms Rate!!!!!!!
Old 29-06-2009, 19:04
Admiral

For anyone who missed the link that was one of the things that contributed to the idea of this Thread....

Yer Tiz agin me old janner:-

http://www.rnmuseumradarandcommunica...YAL%20NAVY.htm

Noted that we didn't talk about the old 89Q when TBM/TBL's were being mentioned off an earlier link

Little h

Old 29-06-2009, 22:26
Lieutenant-Commander

Fourty years a communicator 54 - 94 then 6 years working for the defence industry on comms systems for Pay and Admin then High Speed multi-channel HF.
Here is a link some of you will find very interesting.. http://www.jproc.ca/crypto/menu.html

Fairlead
Old 29-06-2009, 23:18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdave View Post
Good little story about your Dad, Jan

What is it with Matelots that they never get tired of telling stories starting with "When I was in the Navy"

Whether at work. At home. Down the pub. We are always ready to bore people stiff with our stories

ooooppppssss Sorry Non-Comms Rate!!!!!!!
Listen up ah here now... I thought yer actual SCR geezers provided the means for the 'Underwater Tellingbone' so whats that if not communications
Old 30-06-2009, 00:19
Admiral

Your right Harry

I am glad that I can enter this prestidgeous hall of the Communicators even if I am a very small part timer

Mind you I have just remembered... When I was at Vernon I worked in the Ships Office Block. and spent a lot of time in the Comms Office which had an R/S and a Wren. After a while I got used to the routine and would sit there and receive the incoming signals on the Teleprinter and Logging the signals. When That was done I sent signals after they had typed them onto ticker tape. Nothing technical but I am sure that they appreciated it. There was also the signals for the minesweepers to be sorted and pigeon holed. Then getting the signals brought in by the R/O of the Minesweepers and sending them off. Because it wasn't my job, I enjoyed it. It was also good when and R/S and a Killick Wren made the coffee and served it to me at my position!!!
Old 30-06-2009, 04:19
Admiral

no time this morning, need to get an early train to Ldn for work but in the next Hermes 66/7 post i will put a set of pics from her Malta visit, with several unidentified lads in bars and street scenes, that'll get your memories going!
tim

PS can also help with lots of ships of the era you ask about, step by step.
Old 30-06-2009, 07:17
Rear-Admiral

Somebody please check Tim's arms for puncture marks would you?!

best wishes
Jan
Old 30-06-2009, 07:29
Rear-Admiral

Blimey Little H! What a great site the RATT one is and so far I've only scratched the surface. It's made me realise just how much we were all required to know and understand back then. The tone pictures reminded me of the CV89 very much and all the fun we had in the mid-sixties in the far east fleet trying to receive the RATTbroadcast trial. All the old salts stood around the office saying that it was Ok but it would never replace morse! What was the broadcast called now; was it FFR's or something like that? Much, much later as a grown up I was involved in a NATO exercise in the Med and the sparkers (all of PO) rate from a Turkish destroyer came around to say they didn't really understand their fit and were having trouble receiving various RATT signals. I went around to take a look and lo! And Behold! There sat a bank of ANSGCs. I barely remembered them but managed to get things sorted for them after a while. Their ships was an ex-US destroyer so most of her kit was from the Elmers. Great memories!

best wishes
Jan
Old 30-06-2009, 09:09
Admiral

glad you like it and the tests and links there-in, I sent that and some others (i have yet to trace) to an ex RS mate of mine who went thro Ganges in the same class and mess as me, who sent it on to his ex RAN mates so everybody was happy.
Old 30-06-2009, 09:23
Admiral

Yes the 89Q and not forgetting the 87 - we had two of them cluttering up to MWO and they took up more room than the rest of the oufit. Welcome Fairlead did't think it would take you too long to get in. Watch it lads, our Fairlead is a Boffin and may lose us all [Only joking Graham]. OK Derek the Commcen [Lascaris] was on the top floor below the exalted Flagdeck and the messengers used to dash around with the Hand Message run down to the Tunnel where the Unclean brigade lived - always thought "under the sea, under the ground - what is the matter with these people?". As a Ship/Shore
operator it was cool in winter with all the windows open but we could have used some aircon in the Summer. The flag tearers up top had it great, dive in the office when it got cold and bronzying all summer.
Belated welcome to our tame dabtoe
Old 30-06-2009, 09:32
Admiral

Listen up there folks ... 40 years is far too long for anybody to take to learn Morse Code (thats a lot of back-classing) and then to finish off by being a boffin sayin the stuff is fully tested and ready for commish...Yeh Ok.. wonder if they still finish off the bench test with a shove to the deck and see if it survives???

Fairlead, nuff of me takin peewee... that is some link you have given us... I was on it for hours and still plenty to view/learn.

Little h

Old 30-06-2009, 09:50
Admiral

Looks like we are back to Dog Watch Instruction Harry, the Technical stuff was always hard for me especially the Theory side but somehow it always used to drop into place when needed - mind you we had some good instructors around and I guess with us all it became second nature, some could operate and teach theory but most of us were operators - after all that's wot we ad Greenies for, know wot I mean Arry.
Old 30-06-2009, 09:51
Admiral

Whoops, where did that come from - and no I'm not putting on a Barrel or should it be a jug of 'orses necks.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 31st January 1897 : HMS Crescent : At Halifax Nova Scotia