World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 18-06-2009, 21:12
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: Royal Navy Uniform

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruso View Post
Very interesting thread.

My dad (RAN WW2) used to put the "wave" in his cap by bending it somehow on his knee. Couldn't be seen with a flat cap. He reckoned you could tell the "Poms" by their "Flat caps". He also used the trick of tying the tally around a coin and used to sow small lead sinkers in the cuffs of his No.1's to make them swirl better when he walked. What a lair!

Unfortunately the flat cap seems to be the norm in the current RAN. Looks terrible.

Have a photo of him in khaki shorts and khaki shirt with a square collar. Was this used only by the RAN?.

Also, where does the term "tiddly suit" originate?

Cheers
Bruce

Bruce,
Yes,the khaki rig was warn by the RAN as tropical rig,as opposed to the RN's whites. Look at my photo,that's it. I served in the RAN for a time in '43.
Could'nt agree with you more about the caps,but I think it's because no one goes ashore in uniform any more,so has not the reason to be 'tiddly' - and I'm sorry I don't know the origin of the term,except to say it's been used for donkeys years.
Old 18-06-2009, 21:27
Forum Moderator

In navy parlance "tiddley" is the seaman`s term for neat or smart - something that must be fussed over. I have looked to find out where the word originated from but with no luck at all.

This link is quite interesting.

http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.or...e/tiddley.html

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 18-06-2009, 22:08
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotOneLower View Post
Still got my Dolphins. Received on the first issue by the then Capt SM1. These were of the "brooch" type, and the original issue has WJD B'ham, in relief, on the back. Unfortunately, no longer get my SSP(SM). Didn't go to slops and get my "Sausage on a Stick", so like everyone else, made do with the cap tally until the Dolphins were approved.
Also joined as an RO(S), but we then had to remove our Wings, and accept "Tiffs" pay as poor compensation.
TrotOneLower good reply mate any chance you could contribute some info in your profile. I managed to pick up the inferences but me thinks it would assist others to more readily appreciate your service background. Little h
Old 19-06-2009, 00:12
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLINE View Post
Bruce,
Yes,the khaki rig was warn by the RAN as tropical rig,as opposed to the RN's whites. Look at my photo,that's it. I served in the RAN for a time in '43.
Could'nt agree with you more about the caps,but I think it's because no one goes ashore in uniform any more,so has not the reason to be 'tiddly' - and I'm sorry I don't know the origin of the term,except to say it's been used for donkeys years.
Thanks for that info. I think my dads shirt was converted to a "camp shirt" when I was in the Boy Scouts. Had a lot of navy badges and stuff sewn on it. Wish I'd have kept it now as some of those items would have been good to hand down to my kids.
Cheers
Bruce
Old 19-06-2009, 08:29
Commodore

Location: Western Australia (Emigrated here, from England, in 1962 with my parents and 2 older brothers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
In navy parlance "tiddley" is the seaman`s term for neat or smart - something that must be fussed over. I have looked to find out where the word originated from but with no luck at all.

This link is quite interesting.

http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.or...e/tiddley.html
Hi all,
Interesting thread - just saw your mention of tiddly/tiddley and remembered that my Dad finished off one of his stories about his MGB357 (post#34 Aegean Memories)with "it was a lucky, tiddly little boat." I'd always just thought that he was referring to it being small - although it did strike me as a bit strange that he used two words for little. But as Astraltrader says the meaning - "neat, smart - something that must be fussed over" fits the bill better, as I know that's what my Dad and his fellow crew members thought of their little boat.
Regards,
Bee
p.s. I'll see if I can find out where it originated from.
Old 19-06-2009, 10:58
Commander

Joined at St George, Gosport and was issued with pusser's kit that fitted where it touched. The classes ahead of us gave us the address of a lady off Queen's Street, Portsmouth who would tailor the No 2 suits on the spot. Went there with some mates and was told to stand still while she checked the jumper. She just seemed to grab a handful of cloth and the told me to get it off. Ripped up the seams, cut chunks off and machined it back together. Twenty minutes later it fitted like a glove. Cost 5 shillings but was worth every penny. Later was able to get a No 1 suit with gold badges from a naval tailor having had to scrounge the clothing cupons. Remember them?

Ken
Old 19-06-2009, 12:58
Forum Moderator

Thanks Bee - please call me Terry!

Old 19-06-2009, 15:41
Commodore

Location: Western Australia (Emigrated here, from England, in 1962 with my parents and 2 older brothers)

Will do Terry
(Apologies if I occasionally forget - as the "Originally posted" message comes up with the top name...e.g. "Astraltrader"...in your case - and as I've got same name "Bee" top and btm (as have some others) - I sometimes use that inadvertently.
Regards,
Bee
Old 19-06-2009, 18:26
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks Bee - please call me Terry!

HUH ...and they call me a smooth operator !
Old 19-06-2009, 18:51
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Stanley View Post
I can also remember wearing winter rig where the blue (and extremely itchy) jumper was worn instead of a white front.
Us more sensitive skinned ratings of the Radio Branch cut the itchy jersey down, sewed it on a white front and under No 1s it was perfect!!!

Regards

Gerry
Old 19-06-2009, 18:56
Forum Moderator

Curse it Ivor. Nothing seems to get past you!

Old 19-06-2009, 19:03
Admiral

Quote:
Curse it Ivor. Nothing seems to get past you!
Terry that is because he 'Tap Toes' his way around the Threads Little h
Old 19-06-2009, 19:10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Terry that is because he 'Tap Toes' his way around the Threads Little h

How the hell can anyone "TAP TOE" wearing Fins I ask myself
Old 19-06-2009, 19:20
Commander

Hello everyone. When the royal family are wearing naval uniform, do they still have thicker gold braid on their sleeves or is that a thing of the past. Kevin.
Old 20-06-2009, 19:01
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin123 View Post
Hello everyone. When the royal family are wearing naval uniform, do they still have thicker gold braid on their sleeves or is that a thing of the past. Kevin.

I think they do Kevin, I was reading a site about uniforms and I think it said on there that they still do
Old 20-06-2009, 21:02
Commander

Hello Ivorthediver. I think the difference is about an eighth of an inch. I don't know why though. Kevin.
Old 20-06-2009, 21:09
Admiral

Probably the only people in the UK who can afford the extra gold!!!!!
Old 21-06-2009, 05:48
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdave View Post
Probably the only people in the UK who can afford the extra gold!!!!!

Tell me about it..........
Old 22-06-2009, 05:53
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
I think red for Doctors, Orange for Dentists, salmon pink for Wardmasters, silver grey for Constructers. The thin gold stripe for Warrent Officers went in about 1950.
Still one missing. Blue for Education branch (Schoolies). Warrant Officers became Sub-Lieutenants in the early 50s when the WO rank was abolised. It was reinstated as I left the RN in 1963 on my 12. Rob T
Old 22-06-2009, 09:30
Ordinary Seaman

With reference to the Naval Tailor;

The Naval Tailor
At one time a sailor could make a monthly allotment to his chosen Naval Tailor.
A monthly allotment can be best described as like todays standing order from your bank. Except in the 1950s and 60s this was taken from your fortnightly pay and the navy would credit the Tailor.

How much you allotted was up to you. As the Naval pay for a Junior rate, in those days was about 1 a day, it was common for the allotment to be about 1 a month. This got you 12 worth of credit from the tailor.

Naval tailors that I recall were Jack Blair, Seagulls, Flemmings and Bernards. All located in Queen Street, Portsmouth. A good location as it was the closest road to the Naval Base and the RN Barracks.

If you were into a blank week, ie the week after pay day and you were short of some run ashore monies, the answer was the Naval Tailor. If you were in credit with the tailor all fine but if not you started an allotment.

You then visited your chosen tailor and purchased some goods, normally officers leather shoes. These were then taken to Mas, the old girl who had a shop, also in Queen Street, where you sold the asaid shoes for a greatly reduced price, but walking away with some run ashore dosh!

I recall those tailors reps arriving on board promptly at noon and again at about 4.30, lugging the biggest suitcases in the world, topped up with their wares.
The bosuns mate would pipe Bernards ( or whoever) Naval Tailors are now in attendance in the canteen flat.

If I recall, I bumped my Naval Tailor when I left the mob for the first time in 1978. Too late now to grab back their 12!!!!.....excuse me there is someone at the front door, with a big case and an allotment form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND the Bailiff.
Old 22-06-2009, 15:54
Commander

Bernards (of Harwich), did a good trade knocking out Noz Ones for passing out Trogs. A Couple of thousand, not so tiddly blue suits every year. Hate to say this, but the Raleigh suits were much better.

At Mercury we had Mr Daufman's, located in a Nissen hut opposite the OOWs and Clock Tower. Before one was moved and the other taken down for relocation. After the revamp, and Nissen huts became (with a few exceptions) a thing of the past, Jack Blair took up residence in the all noo supply block.
(Sorry, just noticed that some of this has already been covered, never mind).
Old 22-06-2009, 19:00
Captain

Location: Darlington,Co Durham, (Born and bred in St.Albans,Herts.)

Robby, In 1948 the pay was 4 shillings a day...A 1 a day was riches beyond compare!
Old 22-06-2009, 20:37
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

First of Robby,Welcome aboard WNSF, glad to see another ex Grey funnel joining us(add a bit more to your profile ie: service time,rate etc) your 1st piece on the forum "Navy tailors"----blank week a trip to your tailors, mine being Unfits in Queen St, no longer there, get a pair of shoes,any size and go next doors to Ma`s and get half price for them, mine were 4 a pair at the time-- 2 from Ma`s and this was your money for the nights run ashore---mind you a pint of beer was only 1/6p---2/6p to get into the Savoy Ball room at Southsea--a few more pints--fish & chips and a nights kip at Aggie Westons 2/- and still money left for a breakfast in the morning before reporting back to the ship---all this in 1950/60. Great night ashore,if only you could bring those days back---happy days!

Regards.

Dave(ceylon220)
Old 22-06-2009, 21:44
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotOneLower View Post
Bernards (of Harwich), did a good trade knocking out Noz Ones for passing out Trogs. A Couple of thousand, not so tiddly blue suits every year. Hate to say this, but the Raleigh suits were much better.

At Mercury we had Mr Daufman's, located in a Nissen hut opposite the OOWs and Clock Tower. Before one was moved and the other taken down for relocation. After the revamp, and Nissen huts became (with a few exceptions) a thing of the past, Jack Blair took up residence in the all noo supply block.
(Sorry, just noticed that some of this has already been covered, never mind).
you've got a PM awaiting you mate Little h
Old 23-06-2009, 14:43
Admiral

If you manage to spot a RN rating , ashore in uniform, it's most likely he/she will be in working dress. I have spotted them in Hull, from a visiting ship, & Plymouth. The last one I spotted at a bus stop on Royal Parade was in 8's chomping away on a giant sausage roll. These sightings brought on a feeling of shame & nostalgia for the good old days.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 13th January 2006 : HMS Campbeltown : Plymouth Sound