World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 18-10-2009, 20:06
Captain

Default Re: Stokers Badge

Will this one serve your purpose?Old Clankie indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stoker.jpg (52.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Scratcher : 18-10-2009 at 20:36.
Old 18-10-2009, 20:09
Admiral

Hey Francis - that was quick - search over - success again.

Dave H
Old 18-10-2009, 20:51
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post

Don't take any notice of them shipmate ....rise above it all
Old 20-10-2009, 17:35
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: RN uniform period identity

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shields View Post
Thanks for your input James.

He was never caught or punished according to his records though and also he 're-joined' (in some capacity or other-am investigating) and served on an armed trawler before dying in 1917. Might he have gained the PO badge then?...and the chevrons are still there because he is wearing his old uniform and nobody on the trawler challenged this?
...grasping at straws now I know-I just wanted this to be a picture of him. Never mind.
Regards

Andrew

No because the captain would have to sign his conduct sheet, it would stand out like a sore thumb if he is wearing 3 GC badges and a PO badge when he was an AB with no GC badges.

Regards
James

39-45 Star, Burma Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal and War Medal

And my grandmother LACW G I Harvey WAAF
Defence and War medal
Old 21-10-2009, 08:11
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
Clankie very much! that is spot on.
Old 21-10-2009, 11:18
Vice-Admiral

On 'Bertie Harwood' (kindly entered for me by Bob Batstiger) is a picture of my father in 1916, which shows the uniform at that time, but I can't see any badges. On the other hand, my eyesight is not as good as heretofore, and I am not the most skillful of computer operators so - I can't transfer it!!

Edna
Old 21-10-2009, 20:17
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuntingBob View Post
The main reason I'm jumping in on your thread is to ask anyone if they can verify that the stripes he sports on his right arm are length of service stripes.
Hi the regulations regarding the application, issue and the wearing of Sea Service Chevrons was published in The Times on 6 May 1918.

Sea Service Chevrons - One For Each Year The Secretary of the Admiralty has made an announcement with regard to the conditions of the award to members of the Royal Navy and the other marine services of chevrons for service at sea or overseas Chevrons, it is announced, will be awarded to denote services oversea, or at sea undertaken since August 4, 1914, and are to be worn in uniform.

Applications and correspondence from serving officers arid men with regard to chevrons are not to he addressed direct to the Admiralty, but are to be dealt with by their commanding officers in the first instance.

The following will be eligible for the award subject to the conditions laid down :-
Officers and men of the Royal Navy. Royal Marines, and naval forces of the Dominions. Royal Fleet Reserve, Royal Naval Reserve. and Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, and Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve.

Note.- The regulations governing the award of chevrons to officers and men serving in the Royal Naval Division will be those laid down in Army Order No. 4. dated December 20, 1917. and the qualifying service in their case will be verified In the manner therein laid down. [see below].

Officers and men of the Royal Naval Air Service up to April 1, 1918.

Officers and men of the mercantile marine serving under special naval engagements in H.M. ships and auxiliaries.

Queen Alexandra's Naval Nursing Service and Reserve, members of the Women's Royal Naval Service.

Officiating ministers and civilian medical practitioners and dental surgeons who have given whole-time service.

Canteen staff borne on the books of sea-going ships.

Service oversea and at sea is defined as follows :-

Service at sea is service in sea-going ships of war and auxiliaries; it does not include service fn hulks and harbour vessels. nor in harbour craft which are tenders to such vessels. except in those which are employed in minesweeping.

The service of men as gun's crews in defensively armed merchant ships counts as qualifying service for the award. Service oversea includes all service outside the United Kingdom, except in the case of officers and men of the Dominions Naval Forces serving in their own country: In the case of the latter it includes all service outside their own country. Officers and men of the late Royal Naval Air Service who. although serving in the United Kingdom, were liable for service in the air for offensive or defensive purposes, may count such service as qualifying service. Service in kite balloons when embarked in ships will also count.

The date for the award of the first chevron will be August 5, 1914, in the case of those serving at sea or abroad on that date, and in other cases the date on which the individual began or begins qualifying service as defined - for example, an individual who began qualifying service on December 31, 1915, is entitled to his first chevron on that date. In the case of officers and men of the Naval Forces of the Dominions the date will be the date of being drafted to a seagoing ship or leaving their own country.

Additional chevrons are to be awarded as follows :

(a) From January 1. 1915, to December 31. 1917. inclusive. on a calendar year basis. that is. one chevron and not more than one for each of the years 1915, 1916. and 1917. The individual must have an aggregate of three months' qualifying service in the calendar year to entitle him to the award for that year. An additional chevron Is not to be given for the calendar year in which the first chevron is awarded. Service cannot be added from one calendar year to another. Periods In prison. detention or In captivity as a prisoner of war are not to count towards the three months' qualifying service.

Note.- Should an individual have been wounded on active service and not have the necessary three months' qualifying service for the calendar year in which he was wounded, he is. nevertheless, to be awarded the chevron for that year. subject, however. to the condition that more than one chevron cannot be obtained in any one calendar year.

(b) From January 1. 1918. onwards. one chevron for each successive aggregate period of 12 months' qualifying service. This service need not be continuous. It will include short periods of leave where the individual returns to service at sea or overseas at the conclusion of such leave. Periods of absence without leave. in prison or detention. in hospital from sickness due to avoidable causes. or in captivity as a prisoner of war are to be excluded in calculating the 12 months required to qualify for an additional chevron.

Note.- No service prior to January 1. 1918, Is to count towards the 12 months' qualifying service.

1914 Silver Chevron

The chevrons will be in. in width, the arms 1 in. long. They will be worn inverted on the right forearm. Chevrons for officers will be of silver or gold braid. The first chevron, if earned on or before December 31, 1914, will be silver ; if earned on or after January 1, 1915, it will be gold, and all additional chevrons after the first will be gold. The silver chevron will be worn below the gold one. For ratings they will be of worsted embroidery of two colours - red and blue. The first chevron, if carried on or before December 31, 1914, will be red ; if earned on or after January 1, 1915 it will be blue; and all additional chevrons after the first will be blue.

In the case of officers they. are to be worn on the blue undress coat only. The chevrons are a distinction to be worn on uniform to denote service at sea or overseas since the outbreak of war, and are not to be regarded as being in the nature of a reward. There will, therefore, be no posthumous award to fallen officers or men. The chevrons may be worn in plain clothes by officers and men who have left the Service, but who would, had they remained in the Service, have been entitled to wear them on uniform. In such cases, application for authority to wear the chevrons must be made.

It is an offence under the Defence of the Realm Regulations for any unauthorised person to wear a chevron or chevrons, and it should be noted that under Regulation 41, sub-paragraph (c), it is an offence for any person to supply, without lawful excuse or authority, one of these chevrons to an unauthorised person.

Their use was discontinued in September 1922.

Regards

stontamar
Old 23-10-2009, 21:16
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
Northshields (Andrew) Cruiser 11 May 97-25 May 97 I understand from this forum that Cruiser refers to the class; why isn't the Cruiser in question given its full name ie HMS ******?
Hi Andrew - I would suggest that this refers to the ex DOTTEREL Class composite screw sloop HMS KINGFISHER completed in 1880 which was renamed HMS LARK on taking on the role of a training ship in 1892. She was then renamed HMS CRUIZER in May 1893. The misspelling (CRUISER in place of CRUIZER) is not uncommon in contemporary documents. She was finally sold for disposal in 1919. The relevant entry shows that AB Clark was carried on board supernumerary for 14 days (List 16).

Incidentally HMS GANNET, one of the DOTTEREL class, can still be seen on display at the historic dockyard t Chatham.

Regards stontamar
Old 26-10-2009, 18:09
Ordinary Seaman

Default Uniform cica 1880-1910

Hello, first post here.
Has anyone any idea as what type of uniform the man is wearing in the attached poor quaility photograph.
As far as I know he was a merchant seaman but the uniform looks more RN to me. There is an inscription on the right sleeve RNP.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Seaweed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (21.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 26-10-2009, 18:27
Forum moderator

Default Re: Uniform cica 1880-1910

Seaweed, the photo is a little small to see any detail. However, it does seem to be a RN uniform, the letters RNP probably stand for Royal Naval Party......hopefully someone can confirm this or correct me.

There were several Naval Parties formed which operated ashore.

If you do a search of the forum you should uncover something about these Naval Parties as I'm sure they have been mentioned before.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 30-10-2009, 18:30
Ordinary Seaman

Thanks for the response. I will look into Royal Naval Party. Problem is I can find no record of him serving in the RN.

regards
Seaweed
Old 30-10-2009, 20:08
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.

Hi Seaweed, welcome to the forum. Could you give us a larger scan please?

Bob.
Old 17-11-2009, 17:54
Petty Officer

Default Re: Royal Navy Uniform

I was lucky getting out of Divisions due to being on watch, especially Divisions in those No.6s white suits that look brilliantly pressed on the hanger but look like you have slept in them ten minutes after you put them on. I wore them in Gibraltar 76 and Singapore 78. Twice between 1974-99, why does the RN still have to have them.

I had a complete new Kit issue after the Falklands (Sheffield) including new rubber soled deck shoes which I finally wore in 1996 on Fearless as Duty PO.
An hour after putting them on they literally fell off my feet.
A good job Fearless had uniform stores.
Old 17-11-2009, 19:16
Forum Moderator

I see that things haven't changed regarding Pussers shoes.
When I joined in 1963, most of the class were issued with lace up shoes. I, and several others, were issued with black "deck shoes". These were like leather slippers and were about as much use as a chocolate fire guard. Consequently, I had to wear my boots to go ashore in, until such time as I could afford to buy a new pair of shoes from slops.
I presume someone must have ordered loads of a particular size, and they were issued until they ran out of stock.
Old 22-11-2009, 15:42
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayerb View Post
I am still proud to have worn the Navy uniform always felt good going ashore wearing it, several memories come to mind such as trying to get your collar a lighter blue (a little bleach?) any one else do this, also getting the bow wave on your cap, also wearing the black jersey under your top for winter and changing to white for summer, also I think out of the three services werent
our boots the only ones without toe caps? or is my memory failing again, I well remember getting my first naval Tailor made to measure uniform? much better material, shaped Bell bottoms etc. we were posers werent we, but I
think our uniform gave us an advantage in the pulling stakes,
Happy days mate,wish we could turn the clock back to them days but alas we have only our memories to live on.
Old 23-11-2009, 12:51
Vice-Admiral

Kevin - army uniforms were also issued to gunnery cpo's (who became rsm's) and a few matelots transferred to assist the army around the east coast in mobile coastal defence units in 1939/40s, my father kept his for 'general use' and yes, they were very itchy/scratchy and became worse after several nights sleeping in them!!

Ceylon/Dave, when you reached that wonderful point of having a made-to-measure, you got a doeskin from Jack Blair - best man with tape measure and scissors in Pompey - and not as expensive as ..........

Edna
Old 23-11-2009, 18:03
Admiral

One of the many advantages of wearing the uniform was the Burberry & white silk scarf, getting a young lady to hold your collar down whiile you put your Burberry on was a good way to get close & friendly.
Old 24-11-2009, 11:24
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Oldsalt, that was the best chat up line just to ask a good looking girl to hold your collar while you put your Burberry on, good excuse to get your arm around them and give them a nice cuddle--they all seemed to like it,never had a refusal. Silk scarf eh, you were a proper "Jack the lad", could`nt afford one myself---- I remember up in Scotland I was drafted to a destroyer as trials crew and were issued with the cap tally "HMS" and when going ashore in Dumfirmline to the dances or to the local bars with my 2 mates the girls would crowd around asking what ship we were from and when we told them that it was a top secret mission and the story that we told ,you could`nt get rid of them much to the annoyance of the rest of the navy lads,we were never without a girl on our arm whilst we wore that tally on our hats----I think maybe the reason was with this being an old WW2 ship and being in mothballs so long the cap tally for her was obselete, only on trials for the weeks run to Portsmouth and back to Rosyth, cannot remember its name now.

Ednamay, my tailor was down Queen St, just a few yards from VICTORY(now NELSON) called Unifits thats where I purchased my first tailor made suit, last time that I was down at Portsmouth in the late 90s there was hardly any old navy tailors left,apart from that Portsmouth has changed completely from the days that I remember.
Old 24-11-2009, 11:43
Admiral

Hi Dave,

Don't think many of us recognise Pompey these days, The Hard hasn't changed much but the rest has been transformed as Establishments close or trim down.

The biggest change has to be Vernon, now Gunwharf, still a few of the original buildings protected like the Captain's House, Captain's Offices, Main Gate and a couple of the basins. They have implanted some memobilia of days gone by , anchors , torpedoes , mines etc , but every time we visit something else has been added to the area - and all to the good I might add.

Nelson [Was Victory Barracks] Main Gate has been preserved but stands alone with the Establishment entrance some distance behind it and of course some of the Victory/Dockyard Wall removed/altered so Queen's Street as we knew it is gradually altering/disappearing such that you need to look for specific landmarks to know where you are in relation to our young days.

And so many other changes.

Whereas, Guzz hasn't changed a lot over the years. It is beginning to change now that the South Yard is going back to civil use and around the Fleet Club Area the Dockyard Wall has gone and Houses are being built. Aggies is now Uni Accommodation as is the NAAFI Club and of course with the Navy downsizing some MQ Estates went back to Council Housing or sold off.

Time waits for no man and we are becoming dinosaurs - with happy memories of days gone by - I for one am glad I was born in the 30's for I think that apart from the war we had the best years - in the Navy or Out.

Dave H
Old 24-11-2009, 12:28
Vice-Admiral

I don't often cross the oggin to Pompey nowadays, too physically demanding as I get older (!) and getting more expensive every trip - in fact, my last trip was in the summer when my son took me (and my wheelchair) to the Breed 32 Cat Show at Bracknell!

In 1999, when my mother-in-law was in Hospital in Portsmouth, I was crossing v. frequently and watched with horror all the building going on around that area. I worked there, at the Camber, for a cross-channel cargo shipping firm around the early 50s, when there was still a generating station and an overhead coal supply, so we had to put away all our paper and cover our typewriters during the lunch hour, or come back and find them covered in coal dust!

Barracks gateway, oh yes! In 1936 there was a (?) drum major who was about 6'6'' tall, and dad used to walk us down there on Sunday mornings (to get out of mum's way while she did the Sunday roast) to watch the navy in No 1s return from Church parade - and watch him toss his mace over the barrack arch! We held our breath, but no, he didn't.........

Dad's other favourite was to walk us out to Eastney Barracks to see the marines beat retreat - now those uniforms !!!!!!!!!

Edna
Old 24-11-2009, 12:54
Admiral

Edna,

Every post generates another memory and I thoroughly enjoy yours. The memory just needs another jolt and we are off on another tack.

Mine of the Isle of Wiggit was once a month , early fifties , boarding the Paddle Steamer at Brighton Palace Pier and trundling off down to Shanklin , two or three hours there and them back again.

Then when my own boys were young a fortnight at Little Canada [Pontins]

Haven't been back for many years but it is still on the "to do" list.

My old boss used to live in Shanklin and ferry over to Pompey Monday Mornings park his motor at a kerbside for the week, train to London, back on Fridays, what a way to live!!

Dave H
Old 24-11-2009, 14:45
Forum Moderator

Thought these were worth posting here ... can't remember where they came from, or how accurate they are.

Postcards from my personal collection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uniform_1.jpg (1.77 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_2.jpg (1.28 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_3.jpg (1.31 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_4.jpg (1.71 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_5.jpg (1.24 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_6.jpg (1.71 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_7.jpg (1.80 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_8.jpg (1.73 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_9.jpg (1.69 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_10.jpg (1.59 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Uniform_11.jpg (1.84 MB, 36 views)

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 24-11-2009, 19:00
Admiral

Thanks Clive , cant wait to see Sir Dave in that rig
Old 25-11-2009, 01:58
Vice Commodore

This has been a very enjoyable evening reading through the posts, and reviving forgotten memories. For example pussers dirk the little silver jack knife, with an arrow and a couple of numbers stamped into the handle, Which held a brilliant edge and was great for wood carving, I had mine up to five years ago but have now mislaid it. The square rig was originally made by the sail-maker from sail cloth, most likely called after the square rig sail. When pressed landsmen came on board they came in the cloths they stood up in, when they got over being pressed, and started to shape up. They were issued from the
pussers slops, and the money was withheld from their wages. The lanyard was used for carrying a marlin spike, also for firing the gun lock on the cannons. The top men wore a brimmed tarred hat they kept grease on the brim to help when splicing ropes.

Alan
Old 25-11-2009, 06:22
Captain

Hi Dreadnaught! I remember those rigs so well.Though after a few San Miguels on a run in Alongapo and some pleasentaries with the Shore Patrol they rarely looked so splendid.
Cheers John O'C.

Last edited by John O'Callaghan : 25-11-2009 at 06:23. Reason: Spilled Beer

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 15th January 1961 : HMS Leopard : Arrived Rio de Janeiro