World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 20-05-2009, 19:38
Admiral

Default Stokers Talk Only

Ok Guys I need your help pronto please.........

A very good friend of mine asked me what a "trimmer" is in Stoker's parlance

can you help me please ?
Old 20-05-2009, 19:44
Admiral

Default Re: Stokers talk only

Marine Engineer Hairdresser?????????
Old 20-05-2009, 19:49
Lieutenant

A 'trimmer' moves the coal around in the bunkers to keep it even allowing the ship to stay in trim.

No such an animal in the RN though as the Stoker was an all encompassing Marine Fireman, and in all but normal cruising, trimming in the RN was done by Sailors and Marines.

Regards Charles
Old 20-05-2009, 19:49
Admiral

Ivor

You don't think that a little title "Stokers talk only" is going to stop me from interfering, do you?
Old 20-05-2009, 19:52
Lieutenant

No problem with 'Hairdressers' answers here Dave............. not a Stoker then!.

Regards Charles
Old 20-05-2009, 19:52
Captain

Ivor,
Being a member of the "Elite" I just don't know what a trimmer is?
But qprdave seems to have given you a bloody good answer.
Baz.
Old 20-05-2009, 20:02
Admiral

Thanks Charles and Dave I new you would not let me down....record response time even for you on watch ...must be a record.........and your sober on watch of course

Pop down and see Chiefy and tell him I said it was all right for you to have a bottle of our latest batch of pussers special blend [ its 75% proof] don't put it on any polished wood surface though as it is likely to ignite if spilt .......don.t say I didn't warn you

Kind regards Ivor
Old 20-05-2009, 20:51
Lieutenant

"pussers special blend [ its 75% proof]"

Thats weak Ivor in fact lower alcohol content than cheap vodka, generally when alcohol is proof the alcohol content is half, pussers spirit is 54.5% alcohol by volume 93.375 proof.

The thought is nice though.

Here is something I wrote for another forum on Stokers and Coal.

The Royal Navy didn't have Trimmers just Stokers, who were an all encompassing Marine Fireman. The Stoker was trained in the loading, distribution, storage and use of coal. The basics of a Royal Navy steam propulsion system that uses coal, has to use three compartments firstly the bunkers where the coal was stored, then the stokehold where the coal was held until required to be sent down chutes to the boilers.

Bunkers where strategically placed around the ship and used as extra armour by being placed between the outer skin and the boiler/engine rooms, so usually long thin compartments. Coal also came in different grades and calorific values the lower values being used for normal cruising, the higher saved for exercise or battle and stowed near the stokehold (Welsh coal being the preference).The location of coal within the ship would effect the ship's "trim" (i.e., if all of the bunkers on one side of the ship were emptied, she would lean drastically to one side), so the use of coal was monitored to keep the ship in trim. This was supervised by the Chief Stokers and their tanky's the water used to feed the boilers was also a large part of this equation both in what was used and what was produced.

As you could imagine during normal cruising this was a calm steady process, well oiled and managed by the Chief Stoker with Stokers manning or managing the three parts of ship, this gave the younger Stokers time to train and perfect their skills. A large ship would use 500 tons of coal a day under normal cruising conditions, three times that if on exercise or in battle conditions.

The bunkers were hot, often humid, and the air thick with coal dust. Each bunker had to be periodically emptied totally and the build up of dust cleaned out to stop the chance of spontaneous combustion, caused by the coal absorbing moisture and creating heat which would build up until the coal began to burn, a problem to put out usually done by flooding the bunker pumping out and then using the coal straight away.

Working within the bunkers was a terrible job. Since the coal bunkers could be long, men had to shovel the coal around in the bunkers, so that the bunkers could be filled evenly. When the coal was being used, a shovel relay would be set up in the bunkers, so that the coal in the bunker could be used evenly, and a ready supply kept at the entrance to the bunker for transfer to the stokehold. From this point it was shovelled in manageable quantities into the boiler rooms.

The job of 'Trimming' the bunkers was normally done by Sailors and Marines and the first place any army embarked where employed, this task was supervised by PO and Leading Stokers. The Stokers moving the coal from the stokehold to the boiler rooms and feeding the furnaces.

Regards Charles

Regards Charles
Old 20-05-2009, 21:22
Admiral

Charles

I can't see anywhere in your answer where they had time to do my answer!!!!
Old 20-05-2009, 22:02
Admiral

Clearly you guys are sparing nothing in your efforts to 'proof' that 'trimming' your answers from a 93 and a bit% to 54 and an aff% content via the 75% rule will shovel favours with the enthrawled forum members.

But the introduction of a Sweeney Todd arm into the bunker is simply stoking up resentment amongst the embarked Army types and thus I suggest that life must have been easier all round when the oceans were thronging with the super fast clipper as opposed to the poor old trimmer!!!

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 20-05-2009, 22:11
Lieutenant

"I can't see anywhere in your answer where they had time to do my answer!!!!"

Sorry Dave,

They had there own Bathroom and the "Ships Barber" got 2d per diam extra pay and no doubt a big tip from those extra special customers.

If he had called himself a "Hairdresser" he would have recieved far more big tips.

Regards Charles

Last edited by Joseph : 20-05-2009 at 22:12. Reason: Grammer
Old 20-05-2009, 22:25
Lieutenant

Harry,

Running up and down the rigging would have its own problems, but I suppose trimming the sails is just as hard for the Dabtoes as shoveling coal.

As for Proof, in days gone yon, the poor matlot used to get ripped of so a system was devised to help him. The 'pussers Spirit' not always Rum was poured over gunpowder and a match put to it, if the gunpowder flarred up the alcohol content was good if it didn't it had too much water in it.

The next time you have a drink of Rum and it burns your throat, whilst giving that special tingle in your nose, you will then see the gunpowder flare in your eyes and then briefly shake your head. Now thats a good whet.

Regards Charles
Old 20-05-2009, 22:41
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Harry,

Running up and down the rigging would have its own problems, but I suppose trimming the sails is just as hard for the Dabtoes as shoveling coal.

As for Proof, in days gone yon, the poor matlot used to get ripped of so a system was devised to help him. The 'pussers Spirit' not always Rum was poured over gunpowder and a match put to it, if the gunpowder flarred up the alcohol content was good if it didn't it had too much water in it.

The next time you have a drink of Rum and it burns your throat, whilst giving that special tingle in your nose, you will then see the gunpowder flare in your eyes and then briefly shake your head. Now thats a good whet.

Regards Charles
Charles, I will 2;6 to that and take the strain. 'Tis gud to observe that all hands are pulling together up top on this one whilst them in their steaming boots down below are still turned in and oblivious to the history of the original ships stabilisers.... yer aktual trimmers.

Little h
Old 21-05-2009, 07:18
Lieutenant

Just a quicky. Anyone in the Forum who actually 'coaled ship'? I saw it once in Malta when a tugboat or similar harbour vessel coaled ship from a barge. Rob T
Old 21-05-2009, 08:44
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post

can you help me please ?

Thanks for your help Ivor,the answer is more or less what I thought it to be but I did not think you would need to find the answer, I thought you were all knowing like Odin.

Paddy.
Old 21-05-2009, 19:17
Admiral

I'll let you into a little secret Paddy, but don't let that rabble above know,

If I need to know anything about the Navy that I have not found out about thus far.. I ask the Deck strollers, who whilst malingering around with the tins a Bluebell and Mr Muscle, trying to look as if they know what they are doing ,when it goes on the Forum and notification is sent to them of a response to their thread / reply ....they nip into the "head " get out their "Iphone" read the reply and ...set to... composing a reply trying to prove to other Deckstrollers that they are more alert and "Switched" on and that they are not permanently Feeding their pet Gulls with left over bacon butties from the mess........yes I know Paddy but they don't get good bacon like us Stokers and they find it makes them resident in the "Head" if they eat a whole one.....hence the size of their pet Gulls and the "Admiral Browns" they are always saluting........ bless em

You could be forgiven for thinking that its "All in the Head" so to speak

One day these smart alec's will be as bright[as that stuff they polish] and street wise as us Stokers but they still feel inferior to us....... and rightly so
Old 21-05-2009, 19:55
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdave View Post
Can everyone smell It.......................?

I can

It's called Bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tut tut, be you so mean? Out of the mouths of babes, sucklings.....and Ivor....
Old 21-05-2009, 20:04
Admiral

Sorry Mac......Blame it all on Bubbles. He enjoys winding me up!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21-05-2009, 20:04
Admiral

Strollers and other contributors... they had a valiant try!!!

That's why there is/was an executive branch in the pusser... to get fings dun!

Didn't whiff as good quality Bulls..t tho, moreover D'ya notice the 'steaming boot brigade' had to resort to yer aktual subterfuge?

Thats why they were kept out of sight with an air-lock to seperate the real world from their contamination.

They need polishing oft and put on stoppage of nutty, the glucose content is obviously attacking parts of their being thats giving them presumptions above their station.

Seem to recall that in my posting about 'Admiral browns' it was a stoker who tread water and saluted ... says everything ... there were no other swimmers in the ogin

Oh and a Vice Commodore is an appointment not a Rank so could look a tad temporary

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 21-05-2009, 20:06
Admiral

Well said Harry
Old 21-05-2009, 20:15
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdave View Post
Well said Harry
Methinks ye both protes'th too much.....
Old 21-05-2009, 20:20
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadian View Post
Methinks ye both protes'th too much.....
Verily nay nay thrice times nay - me thinketh not, tis the duty of all responsible geezers to help the unfortunates' in society and protest or 're-direction' is one of the means available to we mere subjects

Little h
Old 21-05-2009, 20:27
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Verily nay nay thrice times nay - me thinketh not, tis the duty of all responsible geezers to help the unfortunates' in society and protest or 're-direction' is one of the means available to we mere subjects

Little h

Jings, crivens and help ma Boab...forsooth scurvy nave....you were of the non righteous spawn (branch) for such high and mighty surmising....get yea below with the livestock........given that they permit you to share their lowly quarters....be you so 'mere'

And should they deny you....theirs always yea stokers mess.....

P.S.....this is getting silly...and it's not yet tot time....
Old 21-05-2009, 20:32
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post

can you help me please ?
I've read this thread and as far as I can see I appear to be the only one who has actualy done any 'Trimming' and I think I may have mentioned it already in the Paintings thread .

I was cabin boy( no smutty comments please) on a coaster,called LONDON MERCHANT and I used to do trimming and any other jobs in the engine roon and stoke hold.We carried Trimmers and donkey man as well,and I used to do it to earn extra cash,The MN also had lamp trimmers.
Old 21-05-2009, 20:35
Admiral

more off'n t'wer that one so lowly, was in the mire.. and though mere not for the merest things at all!!

The livestock therefore shud not be subjected to such a being and thus I fear one might have to set up dwelling above the ladder of the stokers mess to show solidarity with the lesser set.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 19th January 1890 : HMS Immortalite : Arrived Sheerness for coaling