World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:47
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: Cap Ribbons/Tallies

Hi !
I'm just begun to collect RN cap ribbons. I have some all wired, can you help about period of issue ?
Sorry for my English
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap ribbons 1.jpg (1.70 MB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Cap ribbons 2.jpg (1.43 MB, 63 views)
Old 30-06-2015, 13:40
Ordinary Seaman

Hi Alexander,
First tally of HMS VICTORY has a tiny dot at end of name this suggests circa WW 1 period whilst all the others with no dot are fairly modern i.e. mid/late 1950s-1970s ish. HM DESTROYER with a fairly large squarish dot is the type found around just after the end of WW2 until about the dropping of the dot altogether about early/mid 1950s.
Hope this helps, any other queries let me know I will help if I can as I have been collecting tallies since mid 1960s and now have many 1,000s.
Regards, Rab
Old 28-07-2015, 18:39
Ordinary Seaman

Hi, Rab !

Thanks a lot !
Regards,

Alexander
Old 03-09-2015, 15:42
Leading Seaman

Hi All i am after the following tallies (My grandads old ships)

Vivid (Post WW1)
Hildebrand (WW1)
Highflyer (WW1)
Cairo 1920s
Columbine 1920s
Barham 1920s
Carysfort 1920s
Lucifer WW2
Viscount WW2

Thanks all

Please PM me
Old 06-11-2015, 14:41
Recruit

Hello, my first post so here goes! I am not ex-Navy but I do have a son who served in RN for 10 years or so and it has been about 10 years since he left the service. I am putting together a collection of patches, flashes, replica medals and photos for him as a present, some of which he left at my house and other I have acquired over the last couple of years. The idea is to put it in a frame.

Which brings me to tally ribbons / bands

A few questions -

Should I include HMS Raleigh and HMS Collingwood tallies given they were training rather than operational?

He served on two ships for which I have original tallies, he also served with 29 Commando at RM Poole and Op Telic and as I understand it the tally would be "ROYAL MARINES UNIT" can someone confirm this?

Another deployment was the MoD in Whitehall, until recently I thought the tally would just be the generic "ROYAL NAVY" until I saw a young sailor on ITV London News wearing "MOD LONDON" (and the MOD without full-stops) has anyone else come across this?

Another odd deployment was at Portsdown West Dstl in Porchester, would this be the generic "ROYAL NAVY" tally, I think he stayed at HMS Nelson at this time so would a "HMS NELSON" or possibly "HMNB PORTSMOUTH" be appropriate?

Finally a stint in the Falkland Islands at the Joint Communications Unit Falkland Islands. Is there a tally for non-ship based RN staff in the Falklands? Somone suggested there might be a BFSAI (British Forces South Atlantic Islands) tally but despite a search I haven't seen one. I doubt there is a "JCU FALKLAND ISLANDS" (which is a pity) as there wouldn't be enough RN junior ratings so would it be another case for the generic "ROYAL NAVY" tally ?

Any thoughts on the above would be welcome, I don't want to ask him if I can help it!

Thanks

Last edited by Cleveland : 06-11-2015 at 14:47. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-11-2015, 17:33
Lieutenant

I haven't kept any of my cap tallies apart from this one.

This batch arrived and issued before it was pointed out there was a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dia.jpg (18.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:28
Vice Commodore

Spelling Diamantina
Old 21-12-2015, 23:04
Ordinary Seaman

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and thank you so much for accepting me. I am a collector of Victorian Lace and Ribbons. Why am I here? Well in the bottom of a stash of pretty ribbons I purchased were 2 French Uncut Cap Tally's. One is embroidered Prosperite and the other Triomphe. Each still have original paper labels marked Article Depose Aux Armes Du Force Qualite 0 13 Lignes 1 Douzaine.
Basically translated is refers to this item as being a registered item made for the armed forces ~ Grade 0 ~ 13 Lines ~ 1 Dozen.
Prosperite is done in brown and Triomphe in blue. The ribbon is quite fine and possibly a silk/cotton blend. At first I thought they were Grosgrain ribbon but they are a much finer grade. Does anyone have any insight into these tallies? I've been looking for over a month and haven't found anything. I will insert a pic when I figure that out...be back soon. Thanks ahead of time, Debra
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 033_zps9lshjjx2.jpg (101.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 21-12-2015, 23:13
Forum Moderator

Hello Debra and welcome to the Forums. Hopefully, someone can answer your query.

Jim
ps I attached your image as a thumbnail
Old 22-12-2015, 00:21
Ordinary Seaman

Thanks Jim, I was very confused as how to post a pic!
Old 14-03-2016, 18:25
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Cap Ribbons/Tallies

CAP TALLIES
SPIRIT OF THE ANZACS
In this video - https://www.youtube.com/embed/NfFFzFiiVYM?rel=0 - two cap tallies appear, one about halfway thru and the other towards the end.
Can anyone identify the full wording of them please?
It has been suggested that the first tally may contain 'rescue' and the second tally is probably HMAS Derwent a naval base in Tasmania. This changed its name in 1942 to avoid confusion with our HMS Derwent.
Look forward to your replies.
Old 14-03-2016, 20:30
Admiral

Hi Pelican

The first one is RA NAVAL RESCUE and second seems almost definitely to be DERWENT.

Mitch Hinde
Old 14-03-2016, 22:10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hinde View Post
Hi Pelican

The first one is RA NAVAL RESCUE and second seems almost definitely to be DERWENT.

Mitch Hinde
Many thanks Mitch.
Old 14-03-2016, 23:39
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
Hello, my first post so here goes! I am not ex-Navy but I do have a son who served in RN for 10 years or so and it has been about 10 years since he left the service. I am putting together a collection of patches, flashes, replica medals and photos for him as a present, some of which he left at my house and other I have acquired over the last couple of years. The idea is to put it in a frame.

Which brings me to tally ribbons / bands

A few questions -

Should I include HMS Raleigh and HMS Collingwood tallies given they were training rather than operational?

He served on two ships for which I have original tallies, he also served with 29 Commando at RM Poole and Op Telic and as I understand it the tally would be "ROYAL MARINES UNIT" can someone confirm this?

Another deployment was the MoD in Whitehall, until recently I thought the tally would just be the generic "ROYAL NAVY" until I saw a young sailor on ITV London News wearing "MOD LONDON" (and the MOD without full-stops) has anyone else come across this?

Another odd deployment was at Portsdown West Dstl in Porchester, would this be the generic "ROYAL NAVY" tally, I think he stayed at HMS Nelson at this time so would a "HMS NELSON" or possibly "HMNB PORTSMOUTH" be appropriate?

Finally a stint in the Falkland Islands at the Joint Communications Unit Falkland Islands. Is there a tally for non-ship based RN staff in the Falklands? Somone suggested there might be a BFSAI (British Forces South Atlantic Islands) tally but despite a search I haven't seen one. I doubt there is a "JCU FALKLAND ISLANDS" (which is a pity) as there wouldn't be enough RN junior ratings so would it be another case for the generic "ROYAL NAVY" tally ?

Any thoughts on the above would be welcome, I don't want to ask him if I can help it!

Thanks
Hi Cleveland

why not include training establishments as well as operational ships?
HMS Victory is a fast moving cap tally, not of an operational ship but of a barracks that handles many people

I served in MOD London back in the late 60's, I was on the pay books of HMS President that handles/handled all RN staff in London. I was employed in the Defence Communications Centre which was actually an RAF posting with a smattering of RN and Army personnel. The head of DCC was an RN officer who carried on in the same job after he retired. No one gave me any form of cap tally for the 20 month posting, have no idea where I would have got it from. If I had had to wear a uniform I would have had a cap tally with HMS Victory as that was my previous posting. However, I remained in civvies all the time, although a Lieutenant SD(C) in charge of the watch at Whitehall Wireless one evening refused to pay us in civvies. We returned the next night after he had received a horoscope reading and another officer paid us whilst he glared through a window.

Spent short time training at Poole but kept my ship cap tally, some postings such as you describe never issue cap tallies and we had to wear the tally for the establishment that paid us. In my time believe those permanently attached to Pool kept their HMS Mercury cap tally but were entitled to wear a beret having completed the Commando course.

The longest cap tally I was ever issued was COMMANDERFAREASTFLEET when I was in the communications centre there. It goes all the way round and barely fits a cap.

realise not a full answer but goes some way I hope, so good luck with your collection. Try the thread about ships crests which will enhance the cap tallies.

kind regards
Dom
Old 15-03-2016, 00:13
Captain

Location: Just moved to the middle of nowhere - somewhere east of the Cheviot Hills

Depends on the era but Portsdown was also Fort Southwick and I did not
wear the cap tally of HMS Nelson though I was accommodated there but
I wore"Commander in Chief" as we were the Commcen for CinC Portsmouth
and the Nato post of CinC Channel.
I would include all captallies whether training or operational

Geoff
Old 15-03-2016, 14:27
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff H. View Post
Depends on the era but Portsdown was also Fort Southwick and I did not
wear the cap tally of HMS Nelson though I was accommodated there but
I wore"Commander in Chief" as we were the Commcen for CinC Portsmouth
and the Nato post of CinC Channel.
I would include all captallies whether training or operational

Geoff
IIRC I may have been expected to wear a Victory tally when at Fort Southwick as that is where we had single men's (and women's) accommodation blocks. But I was only there for a couple of months before being drafted to The Big Smoke. Was it known as Nelson back in the late 60's? I would probably have noticed if it was as Nelson was an Airfix model I built a few years before joining up.
Old 15-03-2016, 14:56
Admiral

Domino.............RNB became "NELSON", 1st August 1974............so "yes" was still "VICTORY" in late 60's. I was only there once..........October-December 1968 (EVT course & release).
Old 15-03-2016, 15:15
Forum Moderator

I had a Victory cap tally in 1971/2 when I was Portsmouth Fleet Maintenance Group, I had a PO's cap when I joined Victory RNB in March 1974 for discharge.

Jim
Old 15-03-2016, 15:47
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Domino.............RNB became "NELSON", 1st August 1974............so "yes" was still "VICTORY" in late 60's. I was only there once..........October-December 1968 (EVT course & release).
thanks for that, remember something about Victory and Nelson where the boundary was a bit blurred. Remember we were in the "new" accommodation blocks but there were huge cracks in the walls and complaints that the windows couldn't be opened due to movement.

Did try to check my facts before posting but the Wiki for this was even more blurred than my memory.

One thing that still lingers is that when taking "a rest" during shifts that we had to use the metal beds left over from D-Day operations

EVT course - what a choice, woodworking or driving lessons - had been driving for 6 years, had my own mini! ! Woodwork Instructor didn't think much of my commitment when I was worrying about how much work I had to do in the new build house I had bought the year before.

rgds
Old 15-03-2016, 17:12
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post

EVT course - what a choice, woodworking or driving lessons - had been driving for 6 years, had my own mini! ! Woodwork Instructor didn't think much of my commitment when I was worrying about how much work I had to do in the new build house I had bought the year before.

rgds
I asked my Divisional Officer for a NBCDI course to prepare me for joining the Fire Brigade and I got it granted

Jim
Old 15-03-2016, 17:51
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
thanks for that, remember something about

rgds
EVT course! wanted to do HGV driving, couldn't be spared.

Just looked at my S459
Joined Victory from 19th July '74 to 31st July '74
Joined Nelson from 1st Aug '74 to 23rd Aug '74 (Discharged LS expired)
I was there when RNB Portsmouth changed its name and don't remember anything about it.
I wonder why! must have been RDP
John
Old 15-03-2016, 20:04
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelliniTosi View Post
EVT course! wanted to do HGV driving, couldn't be spared.

Just looked at my S459
Joined Victory from 19th July '74 to 31st July '74
Joined Nelson from 1st Aug '74 to 23rd Aug '74 (Discharged LS expired)
I was there when RNB Portsmouth changed its name and don't remember anything about it.
I wonder why! must have been RDP
John
Probably on your months end of service leave ;-)

Jim
Old 16-03-2016, 11:50
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
CAP TALLIES
SPIRIT OF THE ANZACS
In this video - https://www.youtube.com/embed/NfFFzFiiVYM?rel=0 - two cap tallies appear, one about halfway thru and the other towards the end.
Can anyone identify the full wording of them please?
It has been suggested that the first tally may contain 'rescue' and the second tally is probably HMAS Derwent a naval base in Tasmania. This changed its name in 1942 to avoid confusion with our HMS Derwent.
Look forward to your replies.
From 'Down Under' -

Re the HMAS Derwent tally band as shown. I have seen that photo somewhere else, but where escapes my memory !
The original Derwent was a River Class Torpedo Boat Destroyer (TPD) launched 19 Dec 1914 250ft 700 tons 26kts but name changed in Oct 1915 to Huon.
The second Derwent was the Commissioned Shore Establishment located in Hobart 1 Aug 1940 to 1 Mar 1942.
Originally named HMAS Cerberus IV and changed to Huon 1 Mar 1942
The third Derwent was the River Class Frigate which commissioned 30 April 1964 (Ben Franklin was on it) of 2700tonnes and carried pennant numbers F22 thence DE22 thence 49 at various commissions. Was sunk off the coast after being used for ship survivability trials off W.A. Over the years there were six sister ships.

Re the other tally band I take it to read R. A. Naval Reserve and I assume it to be a WWII photo.
Any reservists in my brief 9 years 58 – 67 I saw doing annual continuous training wore a R.A.N.R. tally band.
An example which springs to mind, a lot of chaps joined the RAN as reservists before WWII broke out, and when hostilities were declared they reported for duty and in they went for the ‘duration of hostilities’ normally plus six months before being demobbed. Whereas some others were already in the permanent R.A.N. when hostilities were declared and would have had HMAS tally bands when permitted. I have seen photos of matelot’s for security reasons without any tally bands at all.
Laurie Passmore b 20/7/1927 joined the RAN Reserves at 17 years of age plus 4 months on 28/11/1944 initially for two years, as an ORD SMN II with a local Fremantle reservists number of F5515.
He sought approval and changed his rating to ORD SMN II W/T 12/2/1945 and headed off to Flinders Naval Depot (Sig School) and was rated ORD TEL 1/8/1945 at Cerberus. Now whether he wore a Cerberus tally band or a R.A. Naval Reserve tally band at FND I do not know, however he was drafted to the HMAS Gladstone and rated TEL 27/1/1946. Lawrie whilst on the Gladstone transferred to the permanent R.A.N. for 2 years from 1/7/1947 with a new official number R35125 and with the winding down of the war effort was Discharged Free / Shore here at Leeuwin 6.9.1948.
Old 16-03-2016, 12:23
Admiral

From the UK this time from the person who first raised the questions:

"I have just received a letter from the Senior Naval Historical Officer of Sea
Power Centre, Australia and he concurs that the cap tally 'R.A. Naval' is
followed by 'Reserve' not 'rescue' as I thought and as they were mostly shore
based they would not have worn H.M.A.S. He does though put this title as 1914.
He says another variant is 'H.M.A. Naval Reserve'.

He is also sending me a complimentary book he wrote on 'Badges and Uniforms of
the Australian Navy'.

Chuffed, I am."
Old 16-03-2016, 17:11
Admiral

Pelican, it is better to be born lucky, than rich, so it is said!

Mind you, anyone born rich IS lucky, IMO.

EVT Courses...........originally wanted driving course as only held motor-cycle license.........turned down! So did Interior Decorating Course instead - not to make a living at it, but thought it would be useful for future DIY projects - and so over the years it has proven to have been.
After EVT, got detailed off to work one morning in Chiefs Mess.....in their office a CPO sat laboriously "two finger typing". "Want me to do that Chief"?, I asked, "I'm qualified GOW". Henceforth, until release I had a nice quiet number in Chiefs Mess doing their typing for them.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 15th January 1914 : HMS Boadicea : Capt. L.C.S. Woolcombe in Command