World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 15-02-2013, 10:02
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)
Default Re: Cap Ribbons/Tallies

Still got my name type and "housewife" Scurrs but always regret now not saving my cap tallies.
Old 19-02-2013, 18:39
Lieutenant-Commander

Have just returned to the site after a few months/weeks away doing my bit for queen and country and as an avid collector of cap tallies I was amazed to see this posted ....... now I know why I dont always drop in to say hello as often or try and research material for items I have collected - it would seem that being just a surface matelot I am to be consider another breed of matelot..... thanks for pointing that out - have refrained from using normal lower deck language so as not to upset anyone (and yes have been told off by moderators before) but it came close...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALTICSUBS View Post
Pointless to you maybe, but none the less many submariners may feel offended as needless to say they are and were a different breed deserving of their own seperate thread which seriously lacks on this forum, it becomes hard to find now. Enough said, there was a reason i knowingly started a seperate thread for submariners, but now point is lost.

And no point posting the other cap photos i have.
Old 25-07-2013, 12:31
Rear-Admiral

Here is a couple of "cap tallies".....

The photo was taken while i was at Gibraltar , during my last years in the Royal Navy 1973-1975.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img102.jpg (96.8 KB, 72 views)

Jim
Old 18-10-2013, 12:20
Lieutenant

Default RNH CAP TALLIES

Sorry if I have put this in the wrong section, but is there anyone on the forum that collects Cap Tallies?
I have recently started on the small venture of collecting RNH Cap Tallies. At the moment I have four:
RNH Gibraltar,
RNH Haslar,
MDHU Derriford,
RNH Plymouth.
It would help if I knew how many of these Tallies were issued, and can anyone please tell me what MDHU stands for?
Thank you.
Wombat,
James.
Old 18-10-2013, 12:24
Forum Moderator

Hi James a simple typing of Tallies in our search facility brought up this thread!

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 18-10-2013, 14:25
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: RNH CAP TALLIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
...can anyone please tell me what MDHU stands for?
Thank you.
Wombat,
James.
"Established in 1995 following the closure of Royal Naval Hospital Stonehouse, Ministry of Defence Hospital Unit (MDHU) Derriford has had a longstanding relationship with Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust which continues to grow and reap benefits for both. A tri-service staff of 180 military doctors, nurses, medics and allied health professionals are fully integrated within the hospital workplace, working and training alongside their NHS counterparts, treating the local community, whilst proudly wearing their service uniforms and contributing to its high standard of patient care."

Google MDHU Derriford and get the full story.

Andy.

(A proper Old Stoker.)

OLD SHIPS: VANGUARD, CHAPLET, VIGILANT, ROEBUCK, PALLISER (x2), DIANA, TIGER, CENTAUR, EAGLE, BELFAST,
GANGES, RALEIGH, COCHRANE, SULTAN, TERROR, INSKIP, ROYAL ARTHUR, VICTORY, AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING UNIT, ROYAL MARINES. (Poole.)
Old 19-10-2013, 11:39
Rear-Admiral

Hi Andy , your post 156 , is very interesting to read ..

When on the 11 nov 72 ,i received a draft to Royal Naval Hospital Stonehouse, i reported to a office in h.m.s drake ,and the P.O told me to report to the routine office in Stonehouse .Having just past my driving test ,and the wife being pregnant , i had use of the car [Morris traveler].

The time i spent there ,i only had a H.M.S Drake cap tallies on my caps .

I worked in the laboratory office [easy number]

I left on the 19 july 1973.

cylla

Jim
Old 19-10-2013, 12:06
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
"Established in 1995 following the closure of Royal Naval Hospital Stonehouse, Ministry of Defence Hospital Unit (MDHU) Derriford has had a longstanding relationship with Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust which continues to grow and reap benefits for both. A tri-service staff of 180 military doctors, nurses, medics and allied health professionals are fully integrated within the hospital workplace, working and training alongside their NHS counterparts, treating the local community, whilst proudly wearing their service uniforms and contributing to its high standard of patient care."

Thanks Andy, Very interesting reply, I will look that up as you suggest.

Wombat,
James. (Tasmania)
Old 25-10-2013, 19:35
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
Still got my name type and "housewife" Scurrs but always regret now not saving my cap tallies.
Not surprised either! These things can fetch enough money to get you a good run ashore these days!

plymouth_auction 400.jpg

This collection made 400 in an auction in Plymouth.
Some of them are really worth it; but some are questionable (i.e. of a much lower importance, than an active warship) to me.

Still, I don't collect them, but do retain a few, from my own career in the R.N.

I remember in the very early 1960's the pubs in Pompey and Guzz had thousands of these things,
covering the whole walls of many rooms. I wonder what happened to them all?

At that time, they were all ships' cap tallies which you knew represented the mighty ships of the R.N., and Colonies
and the therefore of the Empire, which was just fading away at the time.

It used to make the hair stand up on the back of my neck, when I looked up at the names of the
Battleships, Battlecruisers and Aircraft Carriers, for example, from the late World War on those cap tallies,
as I tried to slurp my pint of bitter, without being noticed as an under-age drinker, trying to look much older;
yet it stuck in my mind forever, the solid and sure knowledge that we would
benefit from the sacrifices of those who lost their lives, on those ships,
winning us the peace, that we were enjoying right now.

Andy.

(A proper Old Stoker.)

OLD SHIPS: VANGUARD, CHAPLET, VIGILANT, ROEBUCK, PALLISER (x2), DIANA, TIGER, CENTAUR, EAGLE, BELFAST,
GANGES, RALEIGH, COCHRANE, SULTAN, TERROR, INSKIP, ROYAL ARTHUR, VICTORY, AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING UNIT, ROYAL MARINES. (Poole.)

Last edited by ap1 : 25-10-2013 at 21:10. Reason: hyphen
Old 05-01-2014, 00:51
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

...or indeed here in post #9 on the 'AB K Nesbett awarded the Military Cross' thread

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 05-01-2014, 01:39
Admiral

The Cap Tallies allocated to members in depicted in the attachments below seem to indicate that the parent unit or tender are of no relevance or can not be represented.

1st attachment; members of the 43Cdo Fleet Protection Group RM - on the occasion of the disbandonment parade of P Sqdn, see the following excerpt:-
Since 2010 the men and women of P Squadron have helped to safeguard the vessels of the Royal Navy and Royal Fleet Auxiliary in some of the most dangerous waters in the world, working alongside their colleagues from 43 Commando Fleet Protection Group (hence the cap tally worn by junior ratings).

2nd attachment; a recent aircrew qualifier for the Wessex Commando Helicopter Force of the FAA, see the following excerpt:-
The eight new naval aviators received their coveted ‘Wings’ badges from Rear Admiral Russ Harding OBE, Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff (Aviation and Carriers).

Source; Both photographs were depicted in the RN website (via fb)

Little h

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 05-01-2014 at 02:17.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:09
Admiral

Thank's for those photos Harry but I'm a bit confused.
Who are the JRs in photo 1?
I looked up this group and apparently they used to be Comacchio group who were oil rig anti terrorist commandos But Royal Marines.
I remember them very well as they would come out to the rig usually with an SAS unit for training and excercises. They would live with us for a week at a time and then disapear. We never Knew how they came or went.
As I said I'm confused as these lads seem to be sailors.
Old 05-01-2014, 15:13
Admiral

Johnny,

The answer to your question regarding the sailors in the photograph can be found in one of the links I included in the text associated with the attachment.

That, together with the details in a) this link to the UK Elite Forces site and b) this link to and article in the Navy News website should fill in all your queries.

By the way did you mean SBS rather than SAS?

Little h

Old 05-01-2014, 17:18
Admiral

Harry, I did mean SAS. Comacchio and SAS did these exercises, SBS having handed the role over to Comacchio.
The Comacchio commandos were a particularly fearsome bunch of blokes and if I may say so looked somewhat different to the lads in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img136.jpg (181.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 18-01-2014, 20:06
Rear-Admiral

Thought I should share these pictures with you. They are of some of my oldest cap ribbons although I must stress that I am not a collector. These were passed to me in around '59/60 by an elderly neighbour who used to talk to me about his life in submarines as a stoker around the time of the first world war.
Rob Roy was a destroyer of the "Admiralty R Class". She was launched on 29th August 1916.
Forth was a submarine depot ship and was launched originally as a Mersey class cruiser in 1886.
R.N. Emanuele Filiberto was an Italian battleship launched in 1897. I believe she was scrapped sometime in the '20s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAP RIBBONS 008.JPG (1.21 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg CAP RIBBONS 010.JPG (1.18 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg CAP RIBBONS 012.JPG (1.27 MB, 27 views)
Old 31-01-2014, 02:44
Able Seaman

Default Naval Brigade Cap Tally

The navy of the colony of Victoria in Australia issued cap tallies for the periods 1859-1870 and 1885-1900 bearing the words Naval Brigade. To help identify men in photos I am asking if anyone is aware whether Naval Brigade cap tallies were issued in Britain in the 1800s.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:08
Rear-Admiral

I know that Georgian sailors often painted the name of their ship on ribbons which they tied around their headgear but when did cap ribbons become a standard uniform item in the Royal Navy?
Old 28-03-2014, 20:14
Lieutenant-Commander

Jan

Sailors were wearing cap ribbons by the 1840s but it was not until 1857, when the first "Uniform Regulations for Petty Officers, Seaman and Boys" were published, that "hat ribbons bearing the ship's name" were officially recognised. Although the regulations did not specify how the ribbons were to be marked, it was customary for sailors to paint on the names of their ships in large capitals.

When gilt wire lettering was officially introduced in February 1858, it had already been adopted by Commander P.R. Sharpe RN of HMS Waterwitch, who had bought such ribbons from Thomas Stevens of Coventry and was issuing them to his ship's company at one shilling each (Public Records Office, Ref ADM.1/6045). In the same year ribbons with letters woven in silk were submitted for issue. The Controller of Victualling reported against their issue as an article of seaman's clothing and gilt woven ribbons were adopted for issue instead. These were initially only to stationary ships and Iron Clads, about 1% of crew at first to be provided for (Index 18041 Admiralty Correspondence).

At first the regulations did not state how the ribbons were to be tied although the illustrations in the 1879 Regulations show the ribbons on hats and caps tied at the back with long ends hanging down.

Between 1893 and 1911 they were "tied in a bow over the left ear - the ends being three and four inches long respectively - the shorter end being in front". From 1911 they were tied with the "ends of the bows of equal lengths not more than two inches long".

During the two World Wars various security measures were in force concerning cap ribbons and the need to keep the whereabouts of HM Ships secret. In December 1914 the Admiral of Patrols issued an order prohibiting the wearing of cap ribbons ashore and in June 1915 men proceeding on leave from battleships, battle cruisers, cruisers and light cruisers refitting were ordered to wear cap ribbons of their depots and not of their ship (Index 24387 and 24403/2 Admiralty Correspondence). During World War II cap ribbons bearing only the letters "HMS" or HM Destroyers/Submarines" were in use.

Dating cap tallies can be all down to clues and research, pre-WWII tallies offer one such clue for the beginner. After the ships name there used to be a 'full stop', this practice continued until 1949/50 but it was used briefly again around 1952/53 but has not been used again since this time

Finally, don't forget that the 1960s saw the 25th Anniversaries of many WWII encounters, unfortunately for the collector of tallies the 60s used a very similar weave to the pre-WWII tallies (except the full stop) hence the abundance of reproduction tallies in circulation even if they are now around the 50 year old mark

Danny
Old 17-10-2014, 20:14
Petty Officer

Default Tally Band

I was sure I have read a thread on the Forum explaining the difference between tally bands from the First World War through to and after the Second World War but after a number of searches, I cannot find what I was looking for. To save me tearing out what little hair I have left on my head, could some kind soul tell me whether First World War tally bands had a dot at the end of the ship's name and whether the lettering of the ship's name was made from gold braid or not.

I am interested in the battle cruiser Indefatigable and whether the ship's tally bands had a dot. The photograph I have of my great grandfather is inconclusive as the last two letters of the ship's name are hidden. Additionally, a number of other photographs I have seen of other Indefatigable crew of that era in the First World War are either inconclusive or may be verging on no dot.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Douglas
Old 17-10-2014, 20:42
Forum Moderator

Hello Douglas, I have moved your post to an existing thread on the subject. See post #6 onwards.

Jim
Old 17-10-2014, 20:48
Petty Officer

Thanks for your help Jim.

Cheers

Douglas

Last edited by Theletterwriter : 17-10-2014 at 21:01.
Old 14-12-2014, 13:54
Ordinary Seaman

Default Cap Tally HMS DARTMOUTH

Can any one help me to identify where this tally came from - H.M.S. DARTMOUTH (no dot at end of name so must date post 1950 ish). I know that there was a Reserve Fleet at Dartmouth in Devon between 1945-1946 but if the tally came from this establishment I think it would have a dot at the end of the name.
So could the tally originate from HMS DARTMOUTH which was the name given to the officers naval college at Dartmouth (BRNC) which received the name when the Royal yacht BRITANNIA was launched in 1953. This would tie-in with the tally not having a dot at the end.
Did the RN college having rating with the HMS DARTMOUTH tally after 1953 and if yes when until?.
Would be greatful for any help.
RJG
Old 14-12-2014, 15:47
Forum Moderator

Hello rjg and welcome aboard. With regard the cap tally, it will still be issued to ships company, at BRNC such as cooks, stewards and other ratings wearing square rig.

Jim
Old 16-12-2014, 14:40
Ordinary Seaman

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. Another question you or anyone out there might be able to answer.
I have a number of coloured tallies - usually light blue or white ribbon with the ships name (sometimes without the HMS prefix) and with flags at each end. All the ships seem to date late Victorian/ early Edwardian. Any idea what they are.
I have always thought they might have been produced for the caps of childrens 'Sailor uniforms' that were quite popular and common back them or as souviner type items for visitors to the ships.
Again would be greatful for any info
RJG
Old 02-01-2015, 20:34
Leading Seaman

Hi

does anyone have a Royal naval division cap tally that they could post pictures of , both sides would be appreciated, trying to learn the art of spotting a good one , thanks

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 6th January 1939 : HMS Colombo : Sailed Sullom Voe on Northern Patrol duties