World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 23-05-2011, 18:38
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: CAP RIBBONS/TALLIES

Siggy/Danny, I do hope that I have misundertood or misinterpreted your words above. It seems that offering just a few pennies to a genuine person clearing out their loft is a little unjust. Maybe by offering close to the going rate you may alleviate your feelings of guilt.

best wishes
Jan
Old 23-05-2011, 19:35
Recruit

Default Cap Tallies.....Sorry

Hi to all

I shall be honest from the word "go" and let you know why I am here.

As a child I hoped of joining the Navy as had my Father and two brothers, and like any good sob story I had my joining test at 15 and interview on my 16th birthday, where I was told "no thanks, and dont ask why" and sent on my way. Disillusioned I never returned, more fool me

Anyway, around 1983 I wrote to many ships\bases an asked for cap tallies etc, these I found again while clearing my mothers loft. Now they are no use to me, and I'm far too old to have them as keep sakes, so would like to sell my soul on ebay or similar to someone that does want them. I know they wont pay off my mortgage, but also dont want to let some sneak grab a bargain and pay his mortgage off

So really I'm looking for advice as to their worth, and at the same time if anyone fancies one or all then I'm open for business (sounds cold). As said all are from around 1983, some have a pamphlet of the ship, and I do have some photo's somewhere too sent to me from a few ships; one is a very good one of a close call in the Falklands in "Bomb Alley" I believe, but until I find them I can not name the ship for sure.

My list:
H.M.S. Hermes
H.M.S. Fearless
H.M.S. Arrow
H.M.S. Glamorgan
H.M.S. Brilliant
H.M.S. Invincible
H.M.S. Cambridge
H.M.S. Exeter
H.M.S. Antrim
H.M.S. Diomede
H.M.S. Intrepid
H.M.S. Glasgow
F.O.S.T.
H.M.S. Vernon (x3)

So as said, any help appreciated on these, I can post photo's somewhere if called for and hopefully I can find my photo album soon.

Thanks all, Daren
Old 24-05-2011, 08:06
Lieutenant-Commander

Default Re: Cap Tallies.....Sorry

Hello Mate
Thanks for being upfront about your posting and the story leading up to the collection - unfortunately as you found out, back in the 1980s the Services could be very very choosey about who they let in, my brother got turned down for Naval Chef cos they didn't need any and they kept telling him to go Writer which he didn't want ....... the selection didn't always work and I served onboard a few units that had right muppets there.

With regards to the tallies mate - 1980s tallies would normally sell for about 3-5 per tally, you might get slightly more for the odd tally depending if you get two collectors after the same one, the ship ones usually more interest to collectors rather than the shorebase or Flag Officer ones I've noticed too.

Any Welcome aboard pamphlets for sea going units can go for about 2.50-ish but check on the back of each one and at the bottom (left or right) you will find a couple of numbers stating something like 6.81 or 7/79 this gives you the date the pamphlet was published - a lot of collectors like myself are interested in this as we may have a pamphlet for that particular unit but not for that publication year - I suppose it all helps when looking to sell.

If selling together i.e. tally/phamphlet and looking to use ebay then would suggest say a starting fee of 4.00 and of course wait for a FREE LISTING week-end and that way you dont pay a listing fee at the start just in case they dont sell......

Good Luck

Danny
Old 24-05-2011, 08:15
Lieutenant-Commander

Jan
mate a few pennines can be anything from a few quid to about 20 per tally - so a figure of speech mate...... have also found that when it comes to collecting you gotta be firm matey, they is going to sell no matter what and a dealer will start lower than a collector and make it sound like they giving a good deal, then they sell on to a genuine collector and make a HUGE profit..... like lawyers, you can't do without dealers but they not always in it for the love of it.

So if it came across as heartless then perhaps you have to be in the end, but it doesn't stop the odd twinge and yes perhaps it does make you add a few more but at least most collectors will have more twinges than a dealer.

Dan
Old 24-05-2011, 14:33
Ordinary Seaman

I agree with Danny a 'few pennies' is a figure of speech. And furthermore, if its an ebay auction item and they got it started at .99 cents who am I to clue em in? That's what they want to start the bid at then so be it. All bets are off on whether or not the item will go for good money or will be a BARGAIN score. Dealers well, dealers will go the extra mile to bleed EVERY cent out of a collector. I tested one recently by offering to sell them some letters that I had purchased at a reasonable price--you know 'played dumb'. Well as expected, the dealer came back and offered to take em off my hands at HALF of what I paid for em. Think they saw one too many episodes of 'Pawn Stars'. Sorry to any dealers out there--in this day and age of digital post it yourself media, I don't [we actually] need you to make a buck.
Old 24-05-2011, 18:38
Rear-Admiral

Thankyou for putting me straight gentlemen. Clearly my belief in human nature is very misplaced. I will bear everything you have told me in mind when I offer my collection of 1st ww and post ww2 tallies for sale.

best wishes
Jan
Old 24-05-2011, 21:18
Lieutenant

This whole business is totally new to me. I never thought there could have been a market for such things. See how naive I am! I have all my old cap-tallies: Collingwood, Bulwark, St.Angelo, Excellent, Terror, Blackpool, and lastly Victory for the week I was doing discharge routine. I also have Belfast because a mate of mine was on her in the Far East - I don't know how I came by it. Some runs ashore ended a little hazily. My brother who did World War II service only wore HMS tallies. I was told it was so that if the ship was sunk none of the hats floating in the sea could betray its identity. It made sense to me. That would not apply to shore-base cap-tallies. The thing about a HMS tally was that it was possible to have the M over your nose and the bow over your left eye - Oh yes, my bro always put a silver threepenny bit in the knot of the bow. You can't do that with Collingwood, and anyway by the mid fifties it was forbidden - centre the name over your nose and the bow over your left ear. As sprogs we all tried to get away with bow-waves in our hats and got picked up for it by crushers when ashore. By the time I had got my first badge the thing to do for jolly jacks with some time in was to pull the hat hard down and square never mind bow-waves they only showed your lack of time in - see attached photo. I realise that last bit is off topic - sorry. Anyway - I have all my cap-tallies. I wouldn't sell them for anything. The only person they mean anything to is me and possibly in future, one of my sons. My plan was always to mount them up with some pic of the ships and frame them, but as yet I haven't got around to doing that.

Nobby_N
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zebbug-hat.jpg (2.4 KB, 186 views)
Old 25-05-2011, 09:07
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Steer View Post
Thankyou for putting me straight gentlemen. Clearly my belief in human nature is very misplaced. I will bear everything you have told me in mind when I offer my collection of 1st ww and post ww2 tallies for sale.

best wishes
Jan
Oh Jan now you mad at me ....... its not a case of putting ya straight mate, its a case of I would rather my son sell my own collection of er a few tallies to another collector than go direct to a dealer ........ both may offer a reasonable price in their eyes for the single tally or the whole collection but I believe that the collector would be offering the price out of interest and affection for the article whereas the dealer would only be thinking I know who would like that and I can still make a profit

Still in the end I will leave that problem to my son, I will be well gone, fired from a chaff launcher during the Thursday War if I get my way, and I would imagine that like your own collection, unless the collector has just won the lottery I can see a single collector purchasing the whole lot in one go .. I know that I couldn't for example purchase your collection in one hit, so the dealers win .... I was lucky with 60% of my own collection as I knew someone who worked for a large maritime insurance company section and this company was given a tally by every naval unit over a very long period - they were going to take a dozen black bin bags of tallies and burn them but I have given them a good home and hopefully my son will do the same!

Danny
Old 25-05-2011, 12:16
Rear-Admiral

Danny, thanks for your reply but no offence taken or implied. Your hobby is a bit of a mystery to me that's all.

best wishes
Jan
Old 26-05-2011, 17:10
Lieutenant-Commander

Jan
Its not a hobby! OMG its a way of life LOL

I like the smell of napalm in the morning but I like walking up to dealers at military fares and pointing out that the tally they have on their table priced at 180 is a 1980s reproduction and then walking off.......... been told to "f off" a few times but it is so satisfying LOL

Glad we good

and if any dealers reading this and sulking - I loathe sum but not all LOL

Danny
Old 26-05-2011, 19:43
Ordinary Seaman

Danny,
how could you do that? I just hope they have some potential victims er customers standing there when you unload on em.
Dave
Old 11-12-2011, 17:26
Sub-Lieutenant

Every month in a certain Ex Services Club magazine there's an add 'Cap tallies/ribbons wanted by collector, top prices paid' Same person sell's them on e-Bay with a starting price of 100 each!! It annoys me to think people will virtually give away their tallies to what they see as a genuine collector, & he does that!!
Old 12-12-2011, 23:21
Captain

lodesman old son!While I sympathise with your lament.Unfortunately it's called 'Free Enterprise'
Cheers John O'C.
Old 16-12-2011, 17:10
Ordinary Seaman

Exclamation Re: CAP RIBBONS/TALLIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Callaghan View Post
lodesman old son!While I sympathise with your lament.Unfortunately it's called 'Free Enterprise'
Cheers John O'C.
Their must be a good business opportunity for the manufacturer of tally's to reprint old tally's. It would destroy the market for the cowboys and give everybody a chance to own the ribbons of their choice. I saw Hms Anzio tally advertised on Ebay and it sold for 45.00 when I was own the Anzio they were probably half a crown.
Old 24-02-2012, 00:20
Able Seaman

Default Re: Cap Ribbons/Tallies

I am new here, and having problems with the Introduction. Hope someone can help.

Ex RN 1944-47 served on HM Rescue tugs very interesting. Received some years after the War Naval Gen Service medal for SE Asia plus a War medal..
As a hobby I mount Veterans Medals have done over a thousand in the past years. Doing one for framing right now to a a PO with DSM on Q Ships WW1'

Anyway what i want to know is this; I have a Cap Tally to HMS Neptune and seeing that the Ship went down with only one survivor Is this a collectors item? It is pretty dirty but still has a bow on it.by the way it has a dot..

Last edited by jaunty : 24-02-2012 at 03:24. Reason: adding more info
Old 08-03-2012, 00:52
Ordinary Seaman

Question Re: World Naval Cap Tallies

Hello
Does anyone know where I could get a tally from the Irish Navy?

thanks
Rex
Old 12-04-2012, 18:03
Leading Seaman

Default Re: World Naval Cap Tallies

...any interest in A-H cap tallies???
Old 15-04-2012, 06:55
Leading Seaman

Old 19-04-2012, 17:39
Leading Seaman

Angola Navy - 1970's

Old 19-04-2012, 17:41
Leading Seaman

Argentine Navy

Old 19-04-2012, 17:42
Leading Seaman

Bulgarian Navy

Old 19-04-2012, 17:44
Leading Seaman

Canadian Navy - 1960's

Old 19-04-2012, 17:46
Leading Seaman

Finnish Navy

Old 19-04-2012, 17:48
Leading Seaman

French Navy - 1940's (printed) produced in Canada

Old 19-04-2012, 17:49
Leading Seaman

German Navy

East Germany - 1980's

West Germany - 1990's

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 28th January 1949 : HMS Aisne : Arrived Portland to prepare for the Spring Cruise to Gibraltar