World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 14-02-2011, 19:17
Banned

Cool Re: World Naval Cap Tallies

I have a good trawl through Ebays offerings and prices vary considerably from 130 each for two numbered HTBs to 45 for HMS Agincourt to 6.99 each for a collection incl P.O.W, Repulse and Renown etc .HM Minesweepers 30. I think the value of Lion's tally- is not a set price -it is what someone is willing to pay for it
I said 60 and I think that is about right.

jainso31
Old 15-02-2011, 10:56
Lieutenant-Commander

Default Re: World Naval Cap Tallies

Hello All
Yep agree with above with regards to the HMS Lion tally - its down to how badly the collector wants the tally for his/hers collection. As you may have spotted from earlier posts around the forum I is not exactly flavour of the month with a few sellers on ebay with regards to tallies, some sellers have even banned me from bidding due to my pointing out the fact that they were listing certain tallies as "Original/Geniune" when the picture showed a modern weave tally - ah well thats life... LOL

Whilst an avid tally collector I would hate to see a tally split from any medal group and if relevant to the medals I buy then I try and get an aged related tally to accompany along with branch/rate badges to enhance the group.

Remember with regards to tallies if its too good to be true then it isnt LOL

Danny
Old 16-02-2011, 15:21
Sub-Lieutenant

Thanks everybody. It just gives me an idea value wise. Its an interesting little archive.

Cheers, Nigel
Old 20-02-2011, 18:24
Banned

Question Re: World Naval Cap Tallies

siggy63
What do you reckon is a reasonable price to pay for a H M MINESWEEPERS
cap tally? Genuine and Repro.

jainso31
Old 20-02-2011, 19:36
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jainso31 View Post
siggy63
What do you reckon is a reasonable price to pay for a H M MINESWEEPERS
cap tally? Genuine and Repro.

jainso31
Repro - no more than 6 - 8 as that is what I believe a modern tally costs from some of the firms in the back of the Navy News.

Genuine - Full length and in good condition I would hesitate to pay anymore than 25 - 45. Then again I is a tight bugger,

Reasonable - if you found yourself a decent genuine tally for the sweepers then I would say a reasonable price (to lure you back for the more expensive ones) would be around the 25 mark but dealers in military items will definately disagree "I aint a charity mate" LOL

Danny
Old 21-02-2011, 08:10
Banned

Smile Re: World Naval Cap Tallies

Thank you very much, you have been most helpful.Can you recommend a vendor?

jainso31
Old 23-02-2011, 09:12
Lieutenant-Commander

Mate
get yourself down to W H Smith for the Navy News.... and in the meantime I will dig out some address's of dealers that I've dealt with in the past who I believe have given me a good service (oh that sounds rude LOL)

Danny
P.S. What you after?
Old 23-02-2011, 10:00
Rear-Admiral

I am not a collector of ribbons particularly but I do have a large bag full that I have acquired over the years. One of these is of "Forth". She was a Mersey class 2nd rate cruiser built in 1886 and scrapped in 1921. She had been converted to a submarine depot ship and the tally was passed to me when I was a boy by an ex-ww1 submariner. I have read all the posts here with interest and wondered if, even though the metal threads have tarnished and are now silver, would it be of any value to a collector of such things?

best wishes
Jan

Last edited by Jan Steer : 23-02-2011 at 11:29.
Old 23-02-2011, 11:05
Banned

Smile Re: World Naval Cap Tallies

Thanks for the advice siggy,I look forward to learning what dealers have given you good service in the past.
Old 27-02-2011, 15:23
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Steer View Post
I am not a collector of ribbons particularly but I do have a large bag full that I have acquired over the years. One of these is of "Forth". She was a Mersey class 2nd rate cruiser built in 1886 and scrapped in 1921. She had been converted to a submarine depot ship and the tally was passed to me when I was a boy by an ex-ww1 submariner. I have read all the posts here with interest and wondered if, even though the metal threads have tarnished and are now silver, would it be of any value to a collector of such things?

best wishes
Jan
Jan
Yes Mate - I is a collector, sometimes good, sometimes bad but always on the lookout for a nice tally with a story behind it........ Unfortunately with the rise of ebay I now find that many tallies are priced well above what I can sneak past "she who must be obeyed" and frequently find myself in the twilight zone of the MI5 agent when it comes to completing trades/deals and various transactions...... even got a nice jacket with an extra pocket sewn inside the lining to sneak that "Opps did I really pay that much for it" addition to the collection LOL

Danny
Old 12-03-2011, 19:33
Lieutenant

Hi Danny,
I've been reading these threads with interest,and notice the word repro. popping up.
I have several tallies which i sent my wife during my service time,during late 50's through the 60's.
They all came from genuine caps one way or another usually swapped.
Would you say perhaps they are genuine or when did repro's rear their head?
Old 17-03-2011, 09:46
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimbo View Post
Hi Danny,
I've been reading these threads with interest,and notice the word repro. popping up.
I have several tallies which i sent my wife during my service time,during late 50's through the 60's.
They all came from genuine caps one way or another usually swapped.
Would you say perhaps they are genuine or when did repro's rear their head?
Hello Mate
I would never claim to be an expert on the good old tally, I do work on the idea that if it seems to good to be true then it bent LOL and this seems to upset a lot of sellers on ebay.... ah well

From what I can gather from the guys at National Maritime Museum the dreaded repros have been around for years and years..... but first came to the forefront as the first big celebrations came around after WWII especially as weave types had not changed much between pre and post event in fact some units from pre 1939 were still being issued tallies from that decade right up to their decommission in the late 1950s etc... hence the confusion about things like the dreaded full stop at the end of the name..... Matelots who served on ships during the war wanted souvenirs or mememtoes of their service and business was good...... and not just for the capital ships either

If when I'm searching for a trade/swap or purchase the seller can show me or advise me of where the tally came from then it can usually be put down as original but once again there is always the odd one - example, local RNA club closing down, I get offered some tallies given to them by members - very nice little set but all modern weave... they were crushed as some of the names were old, given to them by ex members who obviously wanted to keep the originals as I would have..... but held in the RNA Club for almost 20 years they thought they were the real deal but unfortunately the RN not had a HMS Prince of Wales since early 1940s and and considering she only sorted in 1939 then cap tallies not exactly falling out of the woodwork (unfortunately)

Ultimely you know where the tallies came from, if you know they are real then they are real mate - unless of course you got HMS Hood, HMS Repulse etc... then I may have to wag my finger at you LOL

Danny
Old 05-04-2011, 16:41
Recruit

Could anyone please help identify the 2 cap tallies my father was left by his neighbour,they are black in colour with gold writing which says R.N.SIEGE GUNS. Any information would be gratefully recieved thanks.He seems to think they maybe from the victorian era.
Old 29-04-2011, 00:53
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel999 View Post
Thanks everybody. It just gives me an idea value wise. Its an interesting little archive.

Cheers, Nigel
Nigel
a LION cap tally has just gone through ebay in the last few days for 49-ish.
Old 17-05-2011, 14:57
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: CAP RIBBONS/TALLIES

Hello, i am a new member and I have a question regarding the value of hat tallies. I found one from the USS Lexington CV 2. What are the general values of something like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap tally.jpg (10.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 20-05-2011, 16:52
Lieutenant-Commander

Hello Mate
good to see you on the listings.

Ah tallies - I will be upfront mate, value, all comes down to who collects what, when and why sort of thing.....

Have seen USN tallies go for as little as a few quid right up to a nice handy little wad of notes..... most collectors usually go for the RN ones. I like a lot of other collectors have been priced out the market mate by others paying over the top prices.....

The most I've coughed up for a USN tally is about 25 notes, if you looking to see and have an account on ebay then give it a go, if in good nick you might make a few bob, the cut ones or shortened ones usually stay a bit lower in price...

Unfortunately mate its a cut throat business.... and we all out for a bargain... it dont help that "she who must be obeyed" found my last smuggling device so until I can find a new way of sneaking tallies into the collection I am up the swanny without a paddle LOL

Danny
Old 21-05-2011, 00:29
Ordinary Seaman

Thanks for the greeting Danny!

LOL, I don't have one of those female stop me getting my stuff problems-THANK GOD. I did get this one for a bargain--- less than one dollar if you can believe that and I am giving you the ABSOLUTE truth about that I appreciate the post and would like to note that the Lexington was a pretty famous USN ship [with all due respect to you guys]....
cheers!
Dave
Old 21-05-2011, 08:28
Rear-Admiral

Please forgive my ignorance gentlemen but in my day American sailors wore 'pork pie' hats. Where did they have their cap ribbons?

best wishes
Jan
Old 21-05-2011, 14:35
Vice Commodore

Good point Jan - I was wondering that too!!

Best regards

T
Old 21-05-2011, 14:53
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Steer View Post
Please forgive my ignorance gentlemen but in my day American sailors wore 'pork pie' hats. Where did they have their cap ribbons?

best wishes
Jan
Hi Jan

I am not quite sure when, as my knowledge of the USN is very limited, but the design of the cap worn by USN ratings changed. Please see the attached photograph as an example.

stontamar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1NavyUS-Ranks70FiremanOwens.JPG (48.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 21-05-2011, 19:06
Crossed the Bar

Question Re: CAP RIBBONS/TALLIES

At hte time the USS Lexiington(Carrier) Commisioned,I believe the lower deck ratings below the rank of CPOwere wearing what were known as 'Slob' Hats,.The typical type of hat depicted in many a film.I believe the individuals ship was notated in a sewn on shoulder patch.???
Old 22-05-2011, 12:32
Vice Commodore

Regretably do'nt have cap ribbons for my old Dad's WWII service with H.M.S.Northern Wave or H.M.S.Asturias,when he probably wore just H.M.S.The two ribbons I found amongst mementoes in his cap box were from H.M.S.Leopard (no full stop after name) and the Italian R.N.E.F.Duca D'Aosta (with a small star at each end).....My own old NatSvc issue ('46) copy of "A Seamsn's Pocket-Boo(printed June '43-Price if purchased Is.3d) instructs on pages 98/99 Kit Layout, that "The cap ribbon must be worn so that the H.M.S. is directly over the nose and it must be tied in a reef bow over the left ear"...further instructions are specific on the lanyard/scarves/overcoats etc.--derek=L
Old 22-05-2011, 12:38
Vice Commodore

Add my last -should read Seaman's Pocket Book .and see kit list says two cap ribbons issued to all on joining (with one blue one white cap)-derek-L
Old 23-05-2011, 08:13
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor996 View Post
Thanks for the greeting Danny!

LOL, I don't have one of those female stop me getting my stuff problems-THANK GOD. I did get this one for a bargain--- less than one dollar if you can believe that and I am giving you the ABSOLUTE truth about that I appreciate the post and would like to note that the Lexington was a pretty famous USN ship [with all due respect to you guys]....
cheers!
Dave
Dave
Yep I can believe..... sometimes you get genuine seller who just clearing out loft/attic or shed and I have felt pangs of guilt as I hand over my few pennies for something I've hunted hight and low for.... still I always tell them "it gone to a good home" and will eventually be passed to my lad - then again I've seen the glint of greed in dealers eyes as they watch you flick thru their books of tallies whilst you try and work out how a tally you saw only last month for 10 is now being listed for 50.........

And yes I have heard that the Lexington was well known in certain parts of the world...... LOL

Danny
Old 23-05-2011, 17:21
Ordinary Seaman

Danny,

Well, I had very few pangs of guilt as I watched the tick tock of the auction clock and crossed my fingers, that I can honestly say. I almost feel bad for em, but its kinda hard feeling bad for people who are selling their uncle's stuff just to make a few bux. I mean come on, when I want to make a few bucks, I grab a shovel and head out the door and find some extra work to do....But hey, whatever. I just keep telling myself the same thing 'its going to a good home'...

I kinda figured y'all knew the Lady Lex's history... LOL...

thanks for the info, you guys are just confirming my suspiciouns that I got a nice bargain. Actually the whole set of stuff she was selling cost me a bit more than the tally did [but it was worth it-- there was a scrapbook page too with all stuff/articles centered around the ships participation in the search for Amelia Earheart--the period from which all this came from--]...so I figure put the tally in with the Lexington's paper with the article for the search, the photos of the ship and a few more bric a brac...its history that just needed to stay together.

cheers

dave

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 12th January 1939 : HMS Fleetwood : Submarine hunting off Newhaven