World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 15-02-2010, 14:53
Vice Commodore

Default Re: World Naval Cap Tallies

couldnt agree more Alan..

Derek
Old 15-02-2010, 15:37
Lieutenant-Commander

Hello Rob
Good to see you still breathing mate....

Danny
Old 15-02-2010, 15:47
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbenn View Post
Is this a genuine post or just an advertisement?

A quick glance at your site tells me your cap tallies look in good condition, but are somewhat over-priced.

Regards
Alan
Gents
Before you go any further it may be that Rob is a friend from many years back so please take in a constructive way.

Prices: Had a quick look at Robs site (being a tally nut myself) and not sure where you get your tallies from gents but do let us know........ Rob has Royal Yacht tally priced at 25 Euros......... not sure of exchange rate but ebay seller is flogging one internationally at starting price of 25 plus postage. Rob has others ranging from 7 Euros to 40 Euros including Bahamas (hard to get), South Africa (do not use tallies any more). To pay 40 Euros for a South African naval tally I think isnt bad!

Condition: if any of you do collect tallies then ones I've traded with Rob in the past have been good.

Happy collecting Gents.

Danny
Old 15-02-2010, 15:49
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by prattmision View Post
Perhaps someone has an interest in World naval cap-tallies...?

If so, please visit my site: (which I'm sure is available via search engines - kc)
Mate
You should have stated if advertisement/business or just selling off your collection - how many you got left...........

Danny

Last edited by kc : 31-01-2011 at 16:09.
Old 15-02-2010, 21:24
Forum moderator

Danny, I appreciate he may be a mate, but a first post which just gives a web address advertising cap tallies is a bit strange.

I'm sure Kc will decide what action to take regarding the post.

My experience of cap tallies for sale suggests he's a bit over-priced, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

His Royal Yacht one for 25 euros (almost) 25 in particular.

Here's navy-blues price on their website....

Cap Tally - ROYAL YACHT.
Brand new cap ribbon
Price: 10.00

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 15-02-2010, 21:52
Crossed the Bar

Hi Alan.Not being a cap tally collector,I have found them much cheaper on other memorabilia sites...Regards Steve.
Old 16-02-2010, 09:30
Leading Seaman

Hi Danny, hi guys!

Sorry for causing a small chaos... Yes, I am Danny's old mate from Canada (right now Germany)

Yes, I am selling my old collection bit by bit. So, I thought some chums here may be interested....

Price... well everything is relative... Danny, can you remember the guy in Chatham... that in 1997 (!) was asking 80 quids for the RNVR London cap tally. You were trying to negotiate the price but he would not budge...?

Well, if there is interest just let me know, eh!

Cheers guys!

Rob

P.S. Danny send me your email again ok...
Old 16-02-2010, 10:34
Lieutenant-Commander

Hello Rob
Good to see its you mate, hope all well in Germany.

As for the tallies, well all I can say is the more discussion over the tallies the better. Have been collecting now for many many years and am still offered tallies for sale that have never been officially produced but claimed to be genuine LOL.

A few companies still offer tallies from units long gone for sale and these are now well encamped in many collections, you only got to look at ebay to see them going thru from any from 99p to 50+

Biggest giveaway is the type of weave on reverse, currently a KGV tally on ebay and yes I know the seller (another collector) nice bloke but he doesnt mention the fact its a repro only full length, he got bidders and its over 8

Please list sites here that sell cheaper tallies as I would love to sneak some more past "she who must be obeyed" LOL she is getting better at finding my hiding places...... still it keeps the old grey matter ticking over.

Rob, give ebay a go mate you might find it easier, oh yes seeing as we know each other do I get a GOOD discount LOL

Danny
Old 16-02-2010, 11:27
Forum moderator

Danny, hope I didn't upset you mate, just wanted to give a bit of advice to make things easier for you to sell them.

Siggy's advice to give ebay a go is good, currently a Hms Hood (dot) cap tally has enticed a bid of 50.

There's another Royal Yacht tally for just 1.99

You never can tell.

I had a collection of around 300 tallies which I sent home to my kid brother when he was about 8 years old until he was 18.

Daft B####R gave them away to a fella in Germany when he was in the Army........wasn't you by any chance

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

Old 16-02-2010, 12:24
Leading Seaman

Hi Danny, Hi guys!

What I am offering right now are the doubles from my collection. My old "treasure" tallies are still intact, almost 3000 tallies form ca. 90 different countries. Holding right now to it as a "pension investment" ;-)

Danny, can you remember our hunt for treasures in 1997? :-)

As far as the price I am always open to suggestions. Don't forget I am an old colonial ouphe... Hey, you big one man! Buy 10 get 1 free! :-) Just don't touch my wife...

Danny, is "J" still watching over your fingers?

T.T.

Rob

P.S. As an old collector I've always hated "repros" and would never try to push one as a genuine one.
Old 16-02-2010, 14:51
Lieutenant-Commander

Alan - no offence taken mate, already been told off on this forum but water of a ducks back LOL.

Currently managed to sneak around 9000 past "she who must be obeyed" and I still get tallies thru the post from other collectors asking me to confirm whether they brought a good one or a duff one. Most can be sorted via photos but some I like to take and compare against the warehouse stores of NMM.

Last Hood tally that went thru on ebay reached around the 300 mark so I think the current one is just being watched and bidding will go up when it gets closer to the end time, the full stop ones are going crazy on ebay and I've stopped bidding on them for now. It doesn't help that ebay have hidden bidders names as we all knew each others and tried not to gazump each other.

Rob: Buy 10 get one free thats not a discount you cheeky youngster I was thinking along the lines of sending all for free LOL drop us a line as I melted my RBDF tally on the heater and despite my letters they haven't sent me a replacement one....

Danny
Old 20-02-2010, 13:43
Petty Officer

Default Re: CAP RIBBONS/TALLIES

Doc,

On Google images I came across a picture of Canadian AFO that stated it has come to their attention that men are wearing cap tallies that say HMC Destroyer, or HMC Minesweeper and the practice must stop. Now try as I might I can't find the image again. Also in the book "Sailor, A Pictorial History" page 141 published in 1977 there is a picture of a signalman wearing a tally (only the half of it visible) but it clearly says "Destroyer". So I would guess that these tallies were probably purchased ashore and used in place of "HMS" or "HMCS" without authorization.
Old 21-02-2010, 10:28
Commander

Should you want Cap Tallies, or anything else for you memory box, this is a good place to go: http://www.navybluememorabilia.co.uk/default.asp
Old 23-02-2010, 08:04
Leading Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy63 View Post
Hello Folks
the original link at the start of this thread shows a page done by yours truely. I obtained information from not only the RN Museum and Library but also from the Greenwich Maritime Museum.

Unfortunately for my sins am also an avid tally collector and to date have been offered some good deals/trades etc... but have also been offered some right do-do.

HMS etc.. during WWII, depends on where the rating came from, if from a shore base and he was an old salt the chances are that he would have an old tally from previous visit - a lot of those going to sea would therefore keep their shore base tally on their white cap and use their issued HMS tally for their working cap.

The dreaded full stop, yep what has been mentioned is correct, if you are being offered a tally or see one on ebay then before you bid have a quick check on ships status and make sure it would have been around prior to WWII.

Unfortunately the same sort of weave was used right up to the early 1960s and at that time a lot of 25th anniversaries came around so lots of reproductions flooded the market and these are now being offered as genuine. Later issues are easy to spot as weave changed completely and the German manufacturered ones are even easier to spot as the thread used changed colour.

A good Full Stop tally should cost no more than 50 for a normal unit but if lost in action then it increases accordingly. Example a Royal Naval Division cap tally purchased 5 years ago for 20, now you would be lucky to find a genuine one for less than triple that price.....

If I can be of any help to others then dont hesitate to drop us a ditty.

Yours Aye
Danny
Hi there Danny, just seen the tally page and would like to ask you if it is possible to get just a print out of some to put in my photo albums,i've finally got round to it, I need 8 to finish all 1950/60s, thanks for any help, STAN
Old 23-02-2010, 08:58
Forum Moderator

I am not collector of cap tallies ... as if I haven't got enough to collect ...!! But I was given these some years ago, and believe them to be genuine. They are full length, one looks as though it has been tied at the ends at some time in it's life.

Best viewed magnified
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CapTallies_1.jpg (1.63 MB, 39 views)

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 24-02-2010, 09:06
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I am not collector of cap tallies ... as if I haven't got enough to collect ...!! But I was given these some years ago, and believe them to be genuine. They are full length, one looks as though it has been tied at the ends at some time in it's life.

Best viewed magnified
Clive
Both tallies still in use by Pusser so you got no problems with those ones mate

Danny
Old 24-02-2010, 09:07
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Hi there Danny, just seen the tally page and would like to ask you if it is possible to get just a print out of some to put in my photo albums,i've finally got round to it, I need 8 to finish all 1950/60s, thanks for any help, STAN
Stan
What ones you looking for mate I will see what I got and act accordingly.

Danny
Old 24-02-2010, 14:58
Leading Seaman

Hi Danny, I would like to get Indefatigable,Sheffield,Surprise,Morecambe Bay, Phoenicia,Glentham, Davenham(H/kong flotilla) Tamar and Victoria barracks
(Southsea) I do hope I am not asking to much, and I thank you for any help, STAN
Old 25-02-2010, 16:17
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim7966 View Post
Doc,

On Google images I came across a picture of Canadian AFO that stated it has come to their attention that men are wearing cap tallies that say HMC Destroyer, or HMC Minesweeper and the practice must stop. Now try as I might I can't find the image again. Also in the book "Sailor, A Pictorial History" page 141 published in 1977 there is a picture of a signalman wearing a tally (only the half of it visible) but it clearly says "Destroyer". So I would guess that these tallies were probably purchased ashore and used in place of "HMS" or "HMCS" without authorization.
Thnaks Jim, thats quite useful. I wonder if something similar happened this side of the pond. Furthermore, the practice of wearing named tallies must have carried on in some quarters - even if it was outlawed in 1940.

I gues it is going to be a trip to the archives!

Doc
Old 07-03-2010, 11:40
Commander

Doc,

Some "evidence" for you: Norfolk Navy Yard 1941 (probably July)...not sure why 129 given her pendant number was 67
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Formidable 1941 USA Norfolk NY p.jpg (49.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Formidable 1941 USA Norfolk NY n.jpg (44.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Formidable 1941 USA Norfolk NY 1941 p.jpg (61.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-03-2010, 12:19
Forum moderator

Dick, up until 1940 aircraft carriers were allocated pennant numbers with prefix letter I, so her pennant number was probably I-29. After 1940 the prefix I was allocated to destroyers.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

Old 27-05-2010, 13:35
Ordinary Seaman

Default Cap Tallies

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone knows the best place to buy authentic RN cap tallies from
Old 19-07-2010, 22:35
Admiral

I have "Commander Far East Fleet", does this qualify as one the longest.
The last T almost disappeared in the bow over your left ear.

Mitch
Old 21-07-2010, 21:24
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Remember seeing this young lass in Portsmouth in 1958 sporting a skirt covered in RN ship cap tallies, often wondered if these were her trophies from past "achievements" with our young matelots ashore
Old 22-07-2010, 09:11
Admiral

Wouldn't mind tallies from ship's/establishments I served in......only got one (Keppel), did have (Ceylon) but lost it.!

So Danny........if available, what price roughly and where to buy, for following:-

GANGES, EXCELLENT,CEYLON, ORION,SURPRISE, PHOENICIA, PEMBROKE, AJAX, CHICHESTER.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 2nd January 1933 : HMS Acheron : Arrived Skiathos