World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 26-03-2008, 14:00
Able Seaman

Default Cap Ribbons/Tallies

Greetings to everyone.
I am a new member and I hope that you will all forgive my naivety asking this question. I have just started collecting RN cap tallies and just want to confirm the meaning / significance of the dot that is sometimes seen after the ships name. Does this define a particular era of tally or does it have other significance? Can anyone help?
Many thanks and apologies if I'm asking a question thats been answered many times before.
Old 26-03-2008, 14:06
Admiral

Default Re: Cap Tallies

Welcome to the forum Ships.

I expect one of the current or ex matelots will be able to answer this for you soon.

Regards...John
Old 26-03-2008, 14:18
Able Seaman

John

Many thanks for the welcome. I'm not that familiar with forums but I must say this one is particularly interesting.
I hope someone can help me out
Old 26-03-2008, 20:36
herakles

Welcome Shipswriter! It's always good to have another member.

If there's anything about using the forum you don't understand, send me a private message (PM) (Click on User CP)
Old 27-03-2008, 08:23
Lieutenant-Commander

Hi and welcome to the site I have just had a quick at some of my cap tallies and the only one with a dot at the end is a Polish one so sorry cant help Probably a full stop ?
ROM
Old 27-03-2008, 11:59
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipswriter View Post
Greetings to everyone.
I am a new member and I hope that you will all forgive my naivety asking this question. I have just started collecting RN cap tallies and just want to confirm the meaning / significance of the dot that is sometimes seen after the ships name. Does this define a particular era of tally or does it have other significance? Can anyone help?
Many thanks and apologies if I'm asking a question thats been answered many times before.
May I also welcome you.

Pre WW11, Tallies, had a full stop after the name.
Post WW11, Tallies, the stop was removed.

More information on cap tallies can be found on Google NHCRA - RN Cap Tallies.

Good luck in your research
Old 27-03-2008, 19:44
Able Seaman

Many thanks everyone for the help and the welcome - much appreciated
Old 28-03-2008, 13:07
Commodore

An RN cap tally from HMS Electra (supposedly genuine) just sold on eBay for over 250GBP! And here I was biding 70GBP thinking I had a chance! Yeah, right, fat chance!

K
Old 27-04-2009, 16:46
Admiral

Exclamation CAP RIBBONS/TALLIES

The following may be of interest? I am told that pre war cap ribbons bore a fullstop after the ships name and are quite rare. I have 2, Pelican and Mermaid, both of which were issued post war. Update. Please www.nhcra-online.org/19c/captallies.htm

Last edited by Pelican : 27-04-2009 at 17:11.
Old 27-04-2009, 19:14
Forum moderator

Default Re: CAP RIBBONS/TALLIES

Mousey, the cap tallies with full stops don't come up for sale that often, if the ones you have are full length, ie. not cut then they can fetch upwards of 100 each. Obviously the popularity of the ship and/or the rarity of them determines how much they would sell for.

But certainly the ones I've seen on ebay sell very well, the average price is usually around 25-45 but with a few interested bidders can go much higher.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 27-04-2009, 20:46
Petty Officer

Guys, I have a tally with "HMS PUNCHESTON" the quotation marks are actualy on the tally, any ideas why....... It was given to me by my sea daddy, an old 3 badge AB on the Reclaim.

Gary
Old 28-04-2009, 07:43
Rear-Admiral

You are correct Mousey. They do have a full stop after the name. I have a collection of ribbons, some my own and some ww1. I have ROB ROY uncut and unused and even an unused Italian one from "EMMANUELE FILIBERTO". I guess they must both be quite rare.

best wishes
Jan
Old 20-08-2009, 22:32
Petty Officer

Default Cap Tallies

Hi there,

Just throwing this out there on the off chance there may be a collector who has what I'm looking for.

Canadian cap tallies. Buy/Sell/Trade, whichever you prefer.

Please e-mail me at jim7966@sympatico.ca

Thank you very much.
Old 29-09-2009, 08:45
Petty Officer

What about misspelt tallies? I can remember Navy News reporting a wrong batch of H.M.S. BOSINGTON instead of H.M.S. BOSSINGTON.
Old 29-09-2009, 09:46
Chief Petty Officer

Cap tallies with full stops were phased out around 1956 depending on stocks held. Care has to be taken when buying cap tallies, vessels built 1940-45 did not normally have named tallies unless they remained in commission after 1945
Old 29-09-2009, 11:48
Sub-Lieutenant

Another thing regarding cap tallies, if I may divert the current discussion.

With regards to the wearing of tallies bearing the ships name or "H.M.S." or "HM DESTROYERS" etc during wartime.

I am constantly receiving 'helpful' advice from veterans saying in no uncertain terms that images we hold are faked and that during the war all cap tallies read "HMS" only, for secrecy reasons etc....

Now, I understand that many of the photographs the museum holds are to some degree posed but there are an awful large number of images where the cap tally still reads the name of the ship even as late as 1943/4. Sometimes these names are incorrect but more often than not they are correct. This is particularly the case with shore establishments.

My three guesses (and they are just that) would be:

1) It took time for the policy to be phased in
2) I am guessing the wearing of shore establishments didn't matter as much due to the fact that the location of a dockyard wasn't in question even to the enemy.
3) People just ignored it due to pride and/or esprit d'corps

I am planning to go to the national archives to see if I can find the AFO which forbides the wearing of named tallies (if it exists) but in the meantime I wouldn't mind hearing you opinions.

Ian
Old 29-09-2009, 17:03
Lieutenant-Commander

Hello Folks
the original link at the start of this thread shows a page done by yours truely. I obtained information from not only the RN Museum and Library but also from the Greenwich Maritime Museum.

Unfortunately for my sins am also an avid tally collector and to date have been offered some good deals/trades etc... but have also been offered some right do-do.

HMS etc.. during WWII, depends on where the rating came from, if from a shore base and he was an old salt the chances are that he would have an old tally from previous visit - a lot of those going to sea would therefore keep their shore base tally on their white cap and use their issued HMS tally for their working cap.

The dreaded full stop, yep what has been mentioned is correct, if you are being offered a tally or see one on ebay then before you bid have a quick check on ships status and make sure it would have been around prior to WWII.

Unfortunately the same sort of weave was used right up to the early 1960s and at that time a lot of 25th anniversaries came around so lots of reproductions flooded the market and these are now being offered as genuine. Later issues are easy to spot as weave changed completely and the German manufacturered ones are even easier to spot as the thread used changed colour.

A good Full Stop tally should cost no more than 50 for a normal unit but if lost in action then it increases accordingly. Example a Royal Naval Division cap tally purchased 5 years ago for 20, now you would be lucky to find a genuine one for less than triple that price.....

If I can be of any help to others then dont hesitate to drop us a ditty.

Yours Aye
Danny
Old 30-09-2009, 11:13
Sub-Lieutenant

I have the wedding photo when Ted Biggs married my great aunt in 1943.

Ted survived the loss of hood as an ordinary signalman, yet in the photo he is a leading signalman with a Hood cap tally. I think as you say the sailors took a pride int heir ships and if they served pre war then they would have spares.

Regards

James

39-45 Star, Burma Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal and War Medal

And my grandmother LACW G I Harvey WAAF
Defence and War medal
Old 02-10-2009, 09:56
Lieutenant

Danny.
I have recently obtained a book named Naval and Maritime Badges and Insignia of World War 2 by Guido Rosignolia published by Blandford Press, Poole, Dorset.
It is interesting and covers GB, USSR, Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, USA, Japan, Poland, Netherlands, and Finland. I dont know if it is still available, but it is an intresting reference on badges and Tallies.
Regards
Harry
Old 02-10-2009, 21:37
Petty Officer

Default Re: CAP RIBBONS/TALLIES - and Baseball Caps

When out the Gulf onboard Charybdis in 1990, the rig for leaving harbour (Jebel Ali, Dubai) was No.10s (Whitefront, White shorts), with Cherry B Baseball Caps. On our return to Pompey, it was No10s, this time with caps.
I think our Captain didnt want to push the tropical rig too much.
Old 14-10-2009, 13:49
Vice Commodore

I always thought cap tallies would be a great thing to collect, but it sounds like there might be some repros out there. I remember being put on a charge for not having the bow over my left ear.

Alan
Old 14-10-2009, 18:04
Commander

Collected cap ribbon for close on 50 years and I absolutely confirm that the market is awash with reproduction and fake ribbons extending to include examples held by some of the national museums. My advice is if you cannot tell the difference between these and genuine examples don't spend a lot of money and better still don't spend any money, the message must be buyer be aware.

How's this for a rare ribbon; SMS HINDENBURG found in a compartment when the ship was salvaged and taken into Rosyth. The ribbon was quite badly damaged by sea water and was impregnated by rust but I had it professionally cleaned, treated and conserved and then mounted on card. It was given to me when I was in my early teens by a neighbour who had worked as a diver on the salvage.

To any sailors who visited Whitby in the 1950's and who ended up rolling back on board with cap minus ribbon - I'm sorry!!!

stontamar
Old 14-10-2009, 22:09
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stontamar View Post
Collected cap ribbon for close on 50 years and I absolutely confirm that the market is awash with reproduction and fake ribbons extending to include examples held by some of the national museums. My advice is if you cannot tell the difference between these and genuine examples don't spend a lot of money and better still don't spend any money, the message must be buyer be aware.

How's this for a rare ribbon; SMS HINDENBURG found in a compartment when the ship was salvaged and taken into Rosyth. The ribbon was quite badly damaged by sea water and was impregnated by rust but I had it professionally cleaned, treated and conserved and then mounted on card. It was given to me when I was in my early teens by a neighbour who had worked as a diver on the salvage.

To any sailors who visited Whitby in the 1950's and who ended up rolling back on board with cap minus ribbon - I'm sorry about

stontamar
Thank you Stontamar for your kind advice, I shall certainly do a lot of research before I commit myself. Lovely story about the SM Hindenburg cap ribbon.

Regards

Alan
Old 15-02-2010, 11:15
Leading Seaman

Default World Naval Cap Tallies

Perhaps someone has an interest in World Naval Cap Tallies...?

If so, please visit my site (which I'm sure is available via search engines - kc)

Last edited by jbryce1437 : 19-04-2012 at 19:11. Reason: Thread merging
Old 15-02-2010, 13:44
Forum moderator

Default Re: World Naval Cap Tallies

Is this a genuine post or just an advertisement?

A quick glance at your site tells me your cap tallies look in good condition, but are somewhat over-priced.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 23rd January 1899 : HMS Brisk : Arrived Port Said