World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 27-03-2009, 16:51
Captain

Thumbs up HMS Afrikander

Was there ever a warship in the Royal Navy called the "Afrikander", or have I got it mixed up with some other ship with a similar name... George,,
Old 27-03-2009, 17:03
Forum moderator

Default Re: AFRIKANDER

George, indeed there was..

She was an old screw gunboat initially Hms Flora and renamed Afrikander in 1933. There is a badge for Afrikander passed as a pattern in 1937 the year she was sold.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 27-03-2009, 17:14
Captain

Thumbs up Re: AFRIKANDER

Cheers Alan, that would have been a sleepless night. I can recall seeing the badge on the thread. But somehow I still have this name in the back of my head, of a ship with a similar name...once again Alan many thanks for clearing that problem up.... George.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53
Ordinary Seaman

Smile Re: AFRIKANDER

There was an earlier vessel by this name, a Cape Town-based steam tug called the Ludwig Wiener, which the British Admiralty took up for war service in 1914. Armed with one 12-pounder and one 6-pounder gun and additional searchlights, she became the armed patrol vessel HMS Afrikander. She served under the White Ensign for a mere seven months before being returned to the South African Railways and Harbours Administration, reverting to her original name.

Later in the war, another merchant vessel - a Norwegian-owned (but German-registered) whalecatcher called Bismarck (a prize of war) - was pressed into service as HMS Afrikander (ii), which served as a base ship at Simon's Town between 1917-19.

There was also a Royal Navy shore establishment named HMS Afrikander in Youngsfield, Cape Town, which eventually closed in 1976.

Regards, Glyn
Old 09-06-2009, 11:00
Captain

Many thanks for that information Glyn. Comes in handy.. Very much appreciated............. George
Old 11-06-2009, 17:07
Commodore

'Youngsfield' was a satellite of Afrikander, which was the name of the naval base at Simons Town, 45 mins up the road from Cape Town. Some more info as follows: The R.N. Base at Simon's Town was H.M.S. AFRIKANDER with a variety of nominal depot ships including the hulk THAMES (formerly a light cruiser and S/M Depot Ship and then the civilian T.S. GENERAL BOTHA), a 60 ft. HL(D) and, finally, a 44 ft. fast motor boat. There were about six shore bases named AFRIKANDER (Nos. I to VI or so) in various places during World War II.

Regards

Mik
Old 11-06-2009, 18:37
Captain

Cheers Mik, that's great info...Thanks a lot..... George
Old 12-06-2009, 16:21
Commodore

George
Glad to have been of service
Mik
Old 13-06-2009, 20:19
Commodore

George

If you want the full chapter and verse on Afrikander let me know and I'll gladly dig the info out for you.

Mik
Old 19-01-2018, 22:40
Recruit

Default Re: HMS Afrikander

My dad Stan Robinson was stationed at Afrikander 1942-1943 he was a radio operator. Prior to South Africa he was on HMS Newcastle for a couple of years
Old 23-01-2018, 16:11
Lieutenant

Default Re: HMS Afrikander

I'm a child of the stone frigate HMS Afrikander. Born in the Peninsula Maternity Home in Cape Town's District 6 and lived in Simons Town until the age of 3 while my Dad was working in the signals section of CinC South Atlantic. Looking at Google Streetview, the buildings where he worked are still there. There's photos on the other post here...

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum...ht=Simons+Town

HMS Forester (1942 Refit)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 1st January 1939 : HMS Imperial : Searched for a submarine reported in Edinburgh Channel