World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 23-04-2009, 15:04
mik43 mik43 is offline
Commodore
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 897
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Thanks for the 'large size' Jim, still not the wiser!!!
Mik
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 23-04-2009, 15:23
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Hint, long thin fish with a vicious bite, ask the TIRPITZ!

This one I did this afternoon,I better not ask for the names or I might be intruding on an other thread.

netpics10 001.jpg 60s Nostalgia- Scimitar- H.M.S.AISNE.
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 23-04-2009, 17:57
ivorthediver's Avatar
ivorthediver ivorthediver is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: "Cambridge Shore Battery" with Shoreham Lady Karen
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
Hint, long thin fish with a vicious bite, ask the TIRPITZ!

This one I did this afternoon,I better not ask for the names or I might be intruding on an other thread.

Attachment 43979 60s Nostalgia- Scimitar- H.M.S.AISNE.
Very good Jim.

Have you done any of HMS MANXMAN per chance ?
__________________
What Ever Floats Your Boat
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 23-04-2009, 18:03
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

No, but that can soon be fixed any preferences , eg. at sea , along side, and when, doing any thing in particular.
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 23-04-2009, 20:11
ivorthediver's Avatar
ivorthediver ivorthediver is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: "Cambridge Shore Battery" with Shoreham Lady Karen
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
No, but that can soon be fixed any preferences , eg. at sea , along side, and when, doing any thing in particular.

If you are serious Jim,going flat out coming towards you at sea.......any sea would do as yours look "alive" and not just blue/grey ripples.....if its not to much trouble . I would love to see her in action as all the photo's I have seen show side profile or stern shots

Kind Regards Ivor
__________________
What Ever Floats Your Boat
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 23-04-2009, 20:28
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

I'll see what I can do, I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.I'm looking after my wife at the moment as she's has just come out of hospital after a replacement knee op,so keep an eye on the thread.
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 23-04-2009, 20:49
ivorthediver's Avatar
ivorthediver ivorthediver is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: "Cambridge Shore Battery" with Shoreham Lady Karen
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
I'll see what I can do, I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.I'm looking after my wife at the moment as she's has just come out of hospital after a replacement knee op,so keep an eye on the thread.
Thanks Jim hope she makes a full recovery and your tour of duty as a SBA is not to harrowing one.

Kind regards to Mrs Jim as well.

[why vegaskip for a handle ?]
__________________
What Ever Floats Your Boat
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 23-04-2009, 21:03
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

This is VEGA- 14' two berth twin keel mini "over-night/weekender", Vintage around 1972 and I'm the skiper!


newburgh 039.jpg ps By the size of her I think she was built by Tupperware!
pps it is a VOYAGER class
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!

Last edited by Vegaskip : 23-04-2009 at 21:18. Reason: pps
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 23-04-2009, 21:54
astraltrader's Avatar
astraltrader astraltrader is offline
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Exeter/Devon.
Posts: 13,254
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

I hope she recovers well Jim.
My mother who is almost 80 had her knee recently replaced and it went really well.
__________________
Best wishes,
Terry/Exeter. UK



HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 24-04-2009, 04:46
ivorthediver's Avatar
ivorthediver ivorthediver is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: "Cambridge Shore Battery" with Shoreham Lady Karen
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
This is VEGA- 14' two berth twin keel mini "over-night/weekender", Vintage around 1972 and I'm the skiper!


Attachment 44039 ps By the size of her I think she was built by Tupperware!
pps it is a VOYAGER class
You have a big shed in your back garden Jim !
__________________
What Ever Floats Your Boat
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 24-04-2009, 08:43
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

We thank you for the good wishes,the shed belongs to the grounds maintainance firm I used to work for.
Ps Mik it's a BARRACUDA

Regards
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 24-04-2009, 16:45
mik43 mik43 is offline
Commodore
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 897
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

thanks Jim, all I could think of 'off the cuff' was Swordfish and I knew it wasn't that!
regards
Mik
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 24-04-2009, 17:40
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Here you are Ivor, not the best painting I've ever done,but its difficult to paint a ship almost bow on and still keep it's charactaristics, eg 3 funnels.

We were at the doc's this morning to have the dressing changed and got back early, so I got it done this afternoon, using ref material I already had.

Hope you like it .

netpics10 002.jpg w/c A4 size
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 24-04-2009, 18:59
ivorthediver's Avatar
ivorthediver ivorthediver is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: "Cambridge Shore Battery" with Shoreham Lady Karen
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Thank you Jim its brilliant

How you can turn them out so quick and with such detail is beyond me !


If I can reduce a picture of my ship to suit this thread I will post it.

I hope your good lady is feeling more comfortable now........

Kind regards Ivor
__________________
What Ever Floats Your Boat
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 24-04-2009, 20:09
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Glad you like it Ivor, Among my ref. stuf Is the box art for the "matchbox" model of I think H.M.S. ABDIEL I think it is a good "pose".

I always paint quite quickly, its just my way.As for detail, if you look closely you will see most of it is just suggested. I think I might be a bit sloppy with my pictures but I think my ships have a lived in look.You see a lot of paintings which look as though the ship has just sailed out of a glass case,I'm afraid that's not my style.

I remember being at a friend's aniversary party and being introduced to his sister who had an art gallery down south some where. My freind showed her a painting I had done for him of H.M.S.MAURITIUS wich he served in.She said that if she wanted a picture like that she would just go and take photo of it. I said," Briliant, hows about going and taking a photo of a Sopwith Camel getting airborne of the turret of a Battleship" We then had a discusion on the finer point of contempory art, in my case fueled with a smidgen of rum, as you say whar ever floats your boat.
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 24-04-2009, 20:57
ivorthediver's Avatar
ivorthediver ivorthediver is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: "Cambridge Shore Battery" with Shoreham Lady Karen
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Thanks Jim ,

To a pleb like me it seems such a wonderful talent to have and be able to use at the drop of a hat...... I envy your natural talent and the ease in which it manifests itself....

I have also come across people like your Art dealer......and my grandmother used to say "everyone has a storey to tell .. so listen to it ...but don't always accept what you hear... and always allow them a bolt hole to escape down...when they realise that they have met their match"

I have found those words priceless on many occasions.......
__________________
What Ever Floats Your Boat
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 24-04-2009, 21:15
kc's Avatar
kc kc is offline
Admiral of the Fleet
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland.
Posts: 1,848
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Hi Jim,

I've been following this thread with interest. As you may or may not know the forum is owned / funded by an art publishing company, and besides being the admin on here, I do all of their website 'stuff' for them. Naval-art .com is one of our sites; perhaps you are already aware of it.

My reason for posting was to let you know that one of our artists is a member on the forum here, under his own name. I see that there have been comments on your style of painting, and thought you might like to see Ivan's, as he has posted several 'work in progress' reports on his website. He now mostly works on aviation subjects, but has done many, many naval subjects in the past.

The WIP I had in mind was of one of his trafalgar paintings. You can find it here : http://www.ivanberryman.com/trafalgar_1pm_dhm1381.htm

We have not done a lot of naval WIPs, so if it is technique you want to see, here is another, more detailed WIP page, although it is of a WW1 aircraft painting. http://www.ivanberryman.com/otto_kis...th_dhm1627.htm

I don't mean to take the focus away from your paintings, and I apologise if you are not at all interested in the links I've provided. I just thought it may be something you might want to see as an artist.

Cheers,
kc
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 24-04-2009, 22:23
mike mayer's Avatar
mike mayer mike mayer is offline
Chief Petty Officer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: recently moved from cornwall to pontypool
Posts: 50
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Hi Jim.
Just to say thank you for allowing us to see some wonderful art work . I even had the wife looking over my shoulder especially when she saw the ones with the horses in. I wish I had the skill that you are blessed with,I can only reiterate a big thanks. Incidently I used to live 1k from Culdrose and my horses got used to the planes and helicopters buzzing around. I used to have Shire Horses and a local person from the village drew them working in the field, unfortunatly never got to see them.The pics that is.
Thanks again,
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 24-04-2009, 23:26
harry.gibbon's Avatar
harry.gibbon harry.gibbon is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 7,813
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Jim,

Absolutely great ... what a gift ... and for you to share it with the forum members ... JUST EXCELLENT ... and most generously given.

All the best

Little h
__________________

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 25-04-2009, 05:05
ivorthediver's Avatar
ivorthediver ivorthediver is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: "Cambridge Shore Battery" with Shoreham Lady Karen
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Jim,

Absolutely great ... what a gift ... and for you to share it with the forum members ... JUST EXCELLENT ... and most generously given.

All the best

Little h
I can only concur with those comments, and say again thank you so much for your generosity , and kindness...

Warm regards to you and yours...Ivor
__________________
What Ever Floats Your Boat
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 25-04-2009, 08:55
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Once again thanks to everyone for their kind complenets about my paintings,and well wishes for my wife. It is very encouraging to read these coments, its a change from "yes they are good ,but cant you paint something other than ships and aeroplanes".Well as you can see I sometimes do.

Kc, particularly thanks for your comments,as someone in the 'trade' I certainly take note of your comments.I do have my Marine and Aviation artist 'heroes' Ivan being among them,and I have seen the WIP sites you linked.

I don't think I could paint like that,these people are profesional artists, who do it for a living, but I just could not spend months on doing a painting,(I think three afternoons is about the longest I've done).I seldom paint 'large' pictures, so I would not get the detail for example like ivan's deck scene,which if isolated would make a great pic on its own merit. Thanks again for your kind words

regards
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 25-04-2009, 13:20
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Further to the above posting , I may have given the wrong impression of my views of other paintings/painters, this was not my intension, I was trying to explain my own style and reasons why my pictures look the way they do.

In my opinion there are no bad/rubbish art work, it is all in the eye of the beholder, and I think most people do it because they enjoy it.

My son collects paintings by John Bellany,They are not my cup of tea, however I thought I would try doing one in his style, I found it really difficult, the best way to explain it would be like trying to write a letter where every word is spelled wrongly,any paint I put on the board had to be left as is, the same with shapes eg eyes, nose etc.Any way I'll stick it on and see what you think.

also some Naval A/C which I used in the JACKDAW book.

Image1.jpg Fulmar Swordfis Corsair Sea Hurricane

Image2.jpg Albacore FE8 Firefly Barracuda

netpics3 024.jpg With apologies to John Bellany
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!

Last edited by Vegaskip : 25-04-2009 at 18:02.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 25-04-2009, 15:11
mik43 mik43 is offline
Commodore
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 897
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Returning to the 'Manxman'(!), excellent pic Jim. I agree with your comments regarding painting styles - it is all in the eye of the beholder whether they like someone's style or not. Personnally I can't stick Picasso pics, yeah I know among some I would be considered a heathen, but there are other 'modern' styles I do like. Can't give any names as I go on the only one and true rule - 'I like that'!!

Best wishes to the missus and hope that she is up and about soon, so that you can get back to the painting instead of dusting the painting!!

REgards
Mik
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 25-04-2009, 18:01
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Thanks Mik, I think 'art' is abit like religion where discussion is concerned, as for critisom,I developed a very thick skin on the messdecks of H.M's ships and shore establishments, but it is nice to get good ones.

The Wife's knee.. amazing! into hospital (Stracathro near brechin) at seven o clock thursday night - operation to fit new knee 0900 Friday- phone call to me at 1100 from her saying she is fine - Monday 1400 discharged, ok, she's on crutches and in a bit pain especialy doing physio, but its amazing what they can do these days.

She has nothing but praise for the staff and services.By the way she was awake during the op and heard all the sawing and chipping, but I think it was abit more tachnical than the bit leather between the teeth of Nelsonian days.

regards
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 25-04-2009, 18:45
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: JIMS SHIP PAINTINGS

Oh shucks look I'm an Osifer

Does this mean I have to give up the Captain Morgan for pink gin?
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 15th January 1935 : HMS Beagle : Arrived Gibraltar

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helicopter-Ship Operations - Flight Test Programme on Board the Ship harry.gibbon Other Naval Topics 16 29-08-2015 23:05
Captured. Ship On Ship Actions Since 1900. culverin Battles and Events 8 13-03-2012 09:57
Manchester Ship Canal - Largest Ship Bart150 Merchant Ships 2 17-10-2011 09:20
Jims Naval Calendar astraltrader Other Naval Topics 58 04-01-2010 09:49
Ship Paintings. BECA@CLEAR.NET.NZ Other Naval Topics 2 13-03-2009 17:08


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.