World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 14-10-2010, 21:24
Leading Seaman

Default Re: Ship Names

Talking of ships' names; I was told, by an old seadog, and I don't know how true this is but here goes.

Apparently, there was a training ship in Plymouth called HMS Impregnable. During WWII the training ship was coverted into a Wrennery. Of course, they had to change the name!!!

Does anyone know what the new name was?

Cheers

Andy
Old 21-10-2010, 12:23
Sub-Lieutenant

Andy,

From what i can tell it was turned into a comms school, but if it were turned into a wrennery, you would probably be right unless the wrens were "happy" in nature
Old 04-11-2010, 17:28
Crossed the Bar

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of Royal Navy ship names, including minor ships?

Every list on the internet has gaps in it and I'm looking for a complete list - from Garland in 1242, onwards!

Mel

Last edited by MelQuick : 04-11-2010 at 17:50.
Old 04-11-2010, 21:33
Vice Commodore

Hello Mel and your # 78
The short answer is no, nowhere is there any lists which incorporates the names of every warship that ever served the RN. I have, as many others probably have too, dozens of books that purport to do this, but each time frame is short although the 20th Century is very thoroughly and comprehensively covered. Pre 1700 and you stand no chance, i doubt half the sailors then even knew the name of the ship they served on.
If you start one now, you may have it ready for publication by about the year 2110, although it has been attempted back in the 1920's and abandoned after 1 volume. The task is far too mind boggling. Sleep on it if i were you, but it may appear easier if you start at Z and work backwards and i will bet Zulu is not first.
Old 04-11-2010, 21:51
Crossed the Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson6423 View Post
Talking of ships' names; I was told, by an old seadog, and I don't know how true this is but here goes.

Apparently, there was a training ship in Plymouth called HMS Impregnable. During WWII the training ship was coverted into a Wrennery. Of course, they had to change the name!!!

Does anyone know what the new name was?

Cheers

Andy
Andy,

this is the totally glib answer to your question that you might probably expect from an old Chief Stoker.

HMS BEAVER.

But I believe the probable answer is that IMPREGNABLE became the training ship HMS KENT in 1862 and thereafter the training ship HMS CALEDONIA from November 1888.

This could have led to the naming of the WRNS Barracks at Southsea as Duchess of Kent Barracks, after the training ship KENT.

Sandy.
Old 04-11-2010, 22:13
ekd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelQuick View Post
Hi Everyone

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of Royal Navy ship names, including minor ships?

Every list on the internet has gaps in it and I'm looking for a complete list - from Garland in 1242, onwards!

Mel
Realistically, Everyone would have to agree when the "RN" was formed, as a starting point at least.

This in itself is a major topic of debate.

But it's a great project for someone to tackle!

Then after all that is settled and agreed; the list might be started to be compiled.

Good luck sailor!
Old 04-11-2010, 22:27
Forum moderator

The WRNS were re-formed during the second world war after being disbanded in 1919, at the time they were re-formed HM the queen mother, Then Queen was made patron.
H.R.H The Duchess of Kent, widow of the Duke of Kent, became President of the WRNS. The barracks I believe were named in her honour as the founder President......although I maybe wrong in this assumption.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 05-11-2010, 14:52
Admiral

I always thuought Impregnable was the original WRNS camp at St Budeaux , Plymouth.
Old 14-11-2010, 21:46
Sub-Lieutenant

Does anyone know whom the `R' class WWI destroyer HMS Rosalind was named for?

Last edited by 1947graham : 14-11-2010 at 21:47. Reason: word missing
Old 15-11-2010, 09:51
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
I always thuought Impregnable was the original WRNS camp at St Budeaux , Plymouth.
I'm with Kieth on this one!

The WRNS Quarters in Pompey were called the Duchess of Kent Barracks

Best regards

T
Old 15-11-2010, 13:29
Rear-Admiral

Post #84 - I suspect the destroyer HMS ROSALIND would have been named for the heroine of Shakespeare's As You Like It; the trawler of the Second World War certainly was.
Tim
Edit: According to T D Manning & C F Walker British Warship Names (London: Putman,1959), the destroyer was also named for the Shakespeare character.

Last edited by tjstoneman : 15-11-2010 at 16:56.
Old 26-11-2010, 16:53
Banned

Wink Re: Ship Names

I would have thought that the Trawler Rosalind, would have been named after someone's wife eg. Co.Director or the skipper.a lot of fishing vessels are.

jainso31
Old 26-11-2010, 17:17
Rear-Admiral

I agree that some of the requisitioned trawlers were indeed named by owners or skippers; however ROSALIND was built for the RN as one of the "Shakespearian" class, all named after his characters, eg HM Ships HAMLET, JULIET, OTHELLO etc.
Tim
Old 27-11-2010, 15:32
Crossed the Bar

Hi Everyone

I have a question regarding RN trawlers:

Sometimes their names are prefixed with 'HMS' and sometimes with 'HMT' .

Which is correct? Was HMT the official prefix and, if so, were they entitled to use HMS?

Can anyone advise me?

Mel
Old 20-12-2010, 17:48
Sub-Lieutenant

Location: Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia (near Halifax), Canada.

It had been a while since I visited this thread and let me say that I was provided with about 30 minutes of entertainment reading through; some entries bringing tears to my eyes!! I was trying to figure if some of Canada's current Fleet has nicknames - In the past, there was "Rusty-guts" of course (Restigouche) and HMCS Gatineau in the early 90s rec'd the monicker "Gotta-go" (for obvious reasons) but today's fleet seems immune from this. The pennant numbers on the other hand, I have heard nicknames for - "Dirty 330" (Halifax) and one of my faves; HMCS Toronto, pennant #333 - "Halfway to Hell!!!"
I noticed none of my 'fellow' peers on this thread so maybe someone will pipe up.
Old 29-01-2011, 14:58
Sub-Lieutenant

I think the Yanks have the real king of warship names, USS PONCE .

Something to do with a noble of Spanish origins (I think) . Not difficult to think of the potential situation that could arise from the question "Ayup Yank, what ship you from?........

Mind you, we did have a tender to CRESCENT in 1918 called TIT .

Some while ago I read a borrowed book, the title of which eludes me.(Sadly because I would like a copy) It contained a number of short stories, basically of peoples personal wartime experiences.

One of those was the story of Sam Patience , who survived the JERVIS BAY loss. He related about when they were taking in wartime munitions at outbreak of war. Helping them, were members of the Cambridge University Naval Training Squadron.

Some of the regular sailors had problems working , owing to laughing. Their helpers. cap tallies, nicely new and abbreviated.
Old 20-02-2011, 16:39
Lieutenant-Commander

The other day I noticed on the random ship photos display at the top of the page, a ship named HMS Marshall Ney. Knowing that he was a French Napoleonic hero I was intrigued, followed the link, did a bit of Googling and found a sister ship HMS Marshall Soult too. Now I know the French were our allies when these ships were named in WW1, but it seems odd to name our ships after the heroes of a country that once was our arch enemy. I hope there wasn't an HMS Napoleon.

Does anyone know why these names were used? And are there other Royal Navy ships named after people who were not British? Incidentally, The Marshal Ney wasn't scrapped until 1957. Does anyone remember her?

Peter
Old 24-05-2011, 15:19
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Does anyone know why these names were used? And are there other Royal Navy ships named after people who were not British? Incidentally, The Marshal Ney wasn't scrapped until 1957. Does anyone remember her?
I take it that's a "no" then.

Peter
Old 24-05-2011, 15:49
Rear-Admiral

With tongue very firmly in cheek, how about CLEOPATRA as a non-British person?

More seriously, Prince Eugene was not British.

Tim
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22
Admiral

My cousin, Peggy Harwood, was in the WRNS and was based for a while in the Southsea Barracks, which I believe was known as the Duchess of Kent, but I believe it had a shorter official name - anyone know the answer?

Edna
Old 01-06-2011, 16:14
Crossed the Bar

Hi Edna.I think you will find that it was unkindely called "The Cow Barracks"
Old 02-06-2011, 10:57
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Roberts View Post
Hi Edna.I think you will find that it was unkindely called "The Cow Barracks"
Sean - Not quite what I expected! There was an official title, because it was too cumbersome to put "Duchess of Kent Barracks" in all communications!

Edna
Old 19-06-2011, 16:23
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson6423 View Post
How about HMS Beverley? Was there ever such a ship?
Found this link for HMS BEVERLEY, looks like she was an ex American warship
http://www.hu17.net/hms-beverley/
Old 29-06-2011, 16:27
Ordinary Seaman

Hi, all,

Very interesting aal the items about "ship names". In fact I have made it my special project to put together everything that has to do about ship names. I already have in archive a huge amount of information. I think I must get them up again. But I have written a book about the ship names in the Royal Netherlands Navy. Called "The names of ships in the Royal Netherlands Navy in service since 1945". The book contains all names and there inheretance. Also the Dutch commission on namegiving and the regulations with Naval procedures are mentioned. So, if someone has questions about Dutch navy names, don't hesitate to ask them.
I did stop collecting information on names of navy ships of the world because if you give a name in Google you get a lot of hits. But the information is still at hand.

Greetings William van Amstel (ret. CPO RNethNavy)
Old 29-06-2011, 16:59
Admiral

During the Napolean, Nelson era, French ships captured by the RN kept their French names. A good example was the Temeraire..

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 21st January 1940 : HMS Edinburgh : Attacked a contact east of Duncansby Head