World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 27-04-2009, 15:10
Admiral

Exclamation Re: MALTA - Sliema Creek, Grand Harbour etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Hi Harry,

I remember Bobby moving to Plymouth and met him a few times when he was playing piano at the pub at the bottom of my road. "The Ferry Inn" in Saltash Passage [Plymouth Side]. He sadly crossed the bar a few years ago.
Sugar bought a Bar in Gibraltar but the last time I was there it had changed hands [no pun intended] with no trace of Sugar.

As for Yorkie's off Manoel Island Bridge - Anyone visiting ask if I can have my watch back. Yorkie used to sub the Phoenicia lads blank weeks - that being the reason we all had two watches - one for time and one for decorating Yorkie's wall.

Anyone remember "Chez Venci's" in Floriana.

Regards

Dave
Dave, just going thru the threads trying to get up to date. Your last line caught my eye. Elsewhere I referred to T bone steaks in Floriana. I'm pretty sure that it was in Chez Venci's we had them? Was'nt it a black american chef? I'm talking early 1950's. Possibly ex USN? Lack of USN ships visiting Malta has been mentioned but I remember one of theirs, more like a troopship, packed with marines in Grand Harbour. We went on board for a look around and felt really sorry for them. Conditions were more like for a prison ship. We had a 'meal' on one of their large trays with depressions in it for the various items. Not impressed. Give me canteen messing any day even if we were down to hard boiled eggs at the end of the month. And it DID happen.
Old 27-04-2009, 15:25
Admiral

Default Re: MALTA - Sliema Creek, Grand Harbour etc

Many thanks, great pictures made even greater by your detailed memories, if you can manage the private message bit, send me your email address and I send you back the chapter on the Chequers commission. I think its too big to attach here.
All best
tim
Old 27-04-2009, 19:12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonti View Post
HI Dave H. Have just read your post of Mar 21 re:Tony's Hole in the Wall at the bottom of the hill from Floriana. In the 1950's this was a local for the few 'non-natives' on HMS Forth berthed in Msida Creek. 2 glasses of screech mildly diluted with lemonade would last hours for just pennies. And only a short walk back to the mess onboard. Better than playing endless games of 'uckers'. Rob T
Yes Jonti Screech was even worse than Glop. Never had either myself but observed the effects on others. Could be very sad if they went beyond the sample stage.
Old 27-04-2009, 20:23
Chief Petty Officer

Trev. and Brian ( Chieftain )enjoying a drink in the Naafi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 29-04-2009, 12:43
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim lewin View Post
Many thanks, great pictures made even greater by your detailed memories, if you can manage the private message bit, send me your email address and I send you back the chapter on the Chequers commission. I think its too big to attach here.
All best
tim
Tim no Chap 3 attached to yr email? Try again please. Tks David.
Old 29-04-2009, 19:52
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayerb View Post
Trev. and Brian ( Chieftain )enjoying a drink in the Naafi.
Ashore in No.6's -----bad news for dhobey and ironing

I think we always had half sixes or waited till evening and went in half blues!

Fred

Friendly Fire ain't
Old 30-04-2009, 07:57
Chief Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorqual View Post
Ashore in No.6's -----bad news for dhobey and ironing

I think we always had half sixes or waited till evening and went in half blues!

Fred
Cant think why we wearing them? must have been a reason! still they do look smart and that is my only photo in them, Happy Days,
Old 30-04-2009, 17:01
Admiral

In Tony's bar, Sliema front, there was a photo of two PO's who held the record for the number of bottles, Blue Label beer, drank in a specified time. Age I'm afraid has dimmed the exact number of bottles & the time taken, I wonder is that photo still there & does anyone remember the details?
Old 30-04-2009, 18:20
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
In Tony's bar, Sliema front, there was a photo of two PO's who held the record for the number of bottles, Blue Label beer, drank in a specified time. Age I'm afraid has dimmed the exact number of bottles & the time taken, I wonder is that photo still there & does anyone remember the details?
Dear Old Salt. I remember, or think I do, what you call a foto, as more like a sort of certificate. But what I am quite sure of it quoted 38 bottles each - they called it a draw. Ok. ?
Old 30-04-2009, 20:42
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.

I can't remember whether this one has been shown before or not.
The carrier USS JFK in familiar surroundings although changed somewhat since my last visit.

Cheers, Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USSJFKDo1.jpg (216.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 30-04-2009, 21:16
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
I can't remember whether this one has been shown before or not.
The carrier USS K in familiar surroundings although changed somewhat since my last visit.

Cheers, Bob.
Excellent photo of what you might call a real flat top.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:45
Admiral

bit of a bigger target than Illustrious!
Old 01-05-2009, 13:26
Rear-Admiral

That boating lake ,don't look right clean,....excellent piccy tho

Cylla

Jim
Old 02-05-2009, 19:41
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim lewin View Post
bit of a bigger target than Illustrious!
Poor old Illustrious. She was used for pilot training in the mid 50's. Spent much time in Irish Sea and English Channel. We got to know Bangor N.I. and Torquay quite well. I was told her flight deck was 'twisted' due to previous damage. I was on Obediant, chase/crash boat when I witnessed the attached from the flag deck whilst off watch. Never seen anything happen so quickly. One minute coming into land. Next a ball of fire. The pilot survived with either 1st or 3rd degree burns. Forget which. 2 days earlier I had gone up in a 2 seater! Anyone out there on Illustrious around that time? Would have been soon after the Coronation Review. For info the people of Lymington had contributed to Obediant during Warship Week etc. and we went there after the Review. Terrible. We were not allowed to buy a drink all the time we were there for 7 days and nights. Our HQ was a pub half way up the hill on the right. Name please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCF02052009_00000.jpg (799.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg CCF02052009_00001.jpg (1.27 MB, 82 views)
Old 02-05-2009, 20:12
Admiral

Great Pictures, thanks for that.

Bob.
Old 02-05-2009, 21:45
Admiral

Thank you Sir. As you may have gathered I am very proud of Pelican being my first ship ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican, its beak can hold more than its belly can ~ I've been in hot water with the moderator for posting and creating incorrect threads, busted from P.O. to Killick and promoted again! But as she spent a lot of time in Sliema herewith her Badge, with thanks to Scratcher, I always think of it as the Crest. As I remember her, in Corsica. And after she was refitted for the S.A. station, note the double yards now and that little yardarm on the aft mast - whats going on there? With thanks to Gordon, whose first ship she also was about 5 yrs after me? We were both the 'battery kings' as boys. As far as I know she was the last ship in the navy with ALL WOODEN upper decks, which kept the dabtoes gainfully employed. In my time her stores space below was also wooden lined making for champion cockroaches which took part in the races held on the boys messdeck whilst the reels were being changed during the film shows. She had to go round to the dockyard every 6 months for fumigation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Pelican.jpg (251.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CCF02052009_00001.jpg (731.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg HMS PELICAN.jpg (1.03 MB, 66 views)

Last edited by Pelican : 02-05-2009 at 21:57.
Old 02-05-2009, 21:54
Forum Moderator

Dave I dont know if you have seen it but I have this real photograph postcard of Pelican which I think shows her off well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS PELICAN-F86-2-1944-54T.jpg (717.2 KB, 54 views)

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 02-05-2009, 22:09
Admiral

Many thanks Mr. Moderator. No I have not seen that one of her going the 'other' way. Gordon will be interested. It was obviously after her refit prior to going down to the S.A. How on earth do you lot get these fotos? I was lucky to end up with anything. It was 127 film in my day. Just got a digital which I'm trying to get to grips with. Glad I'm off the norty boys list!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:06
Forum moderator

Mousey, nice photo's of Pelican. I already had those in my collection but one of yours is a better quality than mine.

Just to add to the mix here is the 4th photo I have of her, she is wearing the 'U' pennant number.

Regards
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pelican U86 pic1.jpg (1.16 MB, 66 views)

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 03-05-2009, 09:26
Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
I was in Tony's' Bar last month.

The photo of the two PO's is still there. I don't know who runs the bar now but I think it's still a member of the original family.

George
Old 03-05-2009, 14:57
Admiral

Thanks for that George, it's nice that something from the past is still there to be seen. Does Tony's successor make rainbow cocktails with the last ingredient sinking to the bottom of the glass ?
Old 03-05-2009, 18:04
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbenn View Post
Mousey, nice photo's of Pelican. I already had those in my collection but one of yours is a better quality than mine.

Just to add to the mix here is the 4th photo I have of her, she is wearing the 'U' pennant number.

Regards
Alan
Many thanks Alan. Its interesting to see how she changed over the years. David
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28
Admiral

Not sure if this is now a politicalycorrect comment to make but here go's

A few years ago now in another life , I was in a large hotel in Malta which had about a dozen guests in for breakfast [The Hotel was one of the best I had stayed in and was very comfortable]

I was eating my full English when a loud commotion broke out as a dozen or so guests from a country that we were at war with not that long ago.charged into the restaurant and pushed four tables together and formed a "beach head"

At this point a self elected member of the group in a loud and arrogant manor called over to the Head waiter to take there order in German.

The Head Waiter approached the party very calmly and being Maltese in appearance .....went up to the individual , leant over to him and said

"Good morning Sir, In my country we speak two languages when ordering meals , one is Maltese and our second is English and I would be pleased to take your order in either language "

What a put down.......for a few moments a stunned silence , then a rousing cheer from a small group of people which spread quickly.

At this point the individual stood up and said in English "Thank you may we order our meal please".?.. at which point the Head waiter spun around on his heels and went past us winking and up to the waiters and instructed them to attend to that group of guests .

We noted that for the rest of the week they were a well ordered and much quieter group of people, and I left him a large tip for his "services to humanity"
I have never forgotten the quiet and ordered manner in which he conducted himself and the pride he seem to have felt in reacquainting the
guest in question with good manners
Old 04-05-2009, 15:50
Admiral

Good story Ivor!

Do you remember the place when it was like this?

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Harbour.JPG (256.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 04-05-2009, 16:34
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
Good story Ivor!

Do you remember the place when it was like this?

Bob.
No can't say that I did , what part of Malta is this Bob, and when ?

HMS Barham with HMS Eagle in Valetta Harbour in Malta during the 1930s by Ivan Berryman

All income from the sale of artwork through this site directly funds our naval history websites

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 23rd January 1894 : HMS Gannet : Arrived Port Said