World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:37
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: MALTA - Sliema Creek, Grand Harbour etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonclass View Post
A full-sized version would help a great deal Mac. Yours is so small I couldn't work out there was a ship in the background 'IN THE FIRST PLACE' !!
Tisk, Tisk...that's a little extreme. I can recommend a good optician! ....Seriously, shot taken was with a standard 35mm camera with no telephoto lens etc so this is about as good as it gets.

Last edited by Macadian : 02-03-2009 at 02:49.
Old 02-03-2009, 16:42
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.

Nothing special, just a nice picture of Grand Harbour.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Harbour.jpg (165.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 02-03-2009, 17:34
Admiral

Yes, Bob, I agree, a nice shot from an unusual angle.
Old 18-03-2009, 19:25
Admiral

Unhappy Re: SLIEMA CREEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLLA View Post
Here is a very interesting gathering of ships,of course there is "CAMPERDOWN"is in the foreground ,but the other,s in the background ,i have no idea.

cylla
I wonder if amongst the american style destroyers there was the William R. Rush on which myself and several others off the Camperdown spent an exchange day whilst at anchor in the creek... 1960-1961 1st DS ... Solebay Capt D Saintes and Finesterre making up the others... the Camperdown was the 'canteen boat'

Capt. D hit the Jutland I think it was on his attempt to moor to the buoy on our day of arrival.

Harry
Old 20-03-2009, 17:22
Admiral

Hi Bob, Great pics and memory stirrers of Malta. I was looking for the Gypo Queen with Tiny the big Cop standing outside the Toilets but probably the sign is well faded [it was in '98] and Tiny is possibly long gone. Recognised the Silver Horse or the "Galvanised Donkey" as we Lascaris guys knew it. The photo of the Type 15's in Sliema Creek confirms the one in the middle is the 'Fighting 141'.
Regards.
Dave
Old 20-03-2009, 17:49
Admiral

Hi Joseph and Mac,
Another big trip down memory lane,
Joseph - your shot of HMS Phoenicia entrance brings back many memories. I lived on Manoel Island for 18 months in 58/59 in the new accommodation blocks and revisited in the late 90's to be sadly disappointed at the delapidated condition of the whole area. The only part of the old MFCDT [Med Fleet Clearance Diving Team] facility still standing was the Urinals. On local brews in the late 50's there was a Bar called ""Tony's Hole In the Wall"
situated on the route Msida-Valletta at the bottom of the hill before going up to Floriana. It was a ruin and the entrance was the remains of an arch - strictly no smoking in the bar because the brew was roughly 40% Colliero's Golden Wine 40% Meths 20% Lemon Juice and chopped lemons in the cleanest galvanized baths you ever saw. Six old pennies a big one [pay weeks only], Three old pennies a small one [blank weeks]. How on earth did our liver's survive. A regular haunt for those who knew it was there.

Mac - Your second photo did it for me - I agree the De Ruyter - her pennant numbers are white on the bow - the Carrier - no guesses.
Thanks guys.
Dave H
Old 20-03-2009, 18:04
Admiral

Hi Harry,

I remember Bobby moving to Plymouth and met him a few times when he was playing piano at the pub at the bottom of my road. "The Ferry Inn" in Saltash Passage [Plymouth Side]. He sadly crossed the bar a few years ago.
Sugar bought a Bar in Gibraltar but the last time I was there it had changed hands [no pun intended] with no trace of Sugar.

As for Yorkie's off Manoel Island Bridge - Anyone visiting ask if I can have my watch back. Yorkie used to sub the Phoenicia lads blank weeks - that being the reason we all had two watches - one for time and one for decorating Yorkie's wall.

Anyone remember "Chez Venci's" in Floriana.

Regards

Dave
Old 27-03-2009, 23:56
Admiral

Cylla,

My belated observed ... Camperdown in the foreground!!!...

As ever, being the canteen boat, we inevitably... last in - first out!!!!

Still; we had a fine skipper; one Cdr 'Revs' Risden so called because (it is said) that on any occasion when given 'independent command' - or 'make own way independently' we would connect both boilers and do a fairly high speed dog-leg to the point of destination, rather than cruise at most economical speed. Thus the apt name greyhounds of the ocean.

I can't imagine what repercussions that would have with today's thinking.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 02-04-2009, 10:54
Commander

[ATTAChope you like these pics especially you Bob.
H]41468[/ATTACH]you love to se e barakka lift .don t know if you have one like it Joseph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1841barraka_liftmin.jpg (41.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 1841eagle1-med.jpg (33.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 1929_sliema_creek.jpg (160.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 63626scimitar_launch_in_grand_ha_.jpg (38.0 KB, 85 views)
Old 02-04-2009, 11:49
Admiral

Thanks for that Joseph I do have it.
Here's another of Sliema creek although I don't know what Portsmouth united has to do with it!

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sliema creek.jpg (108.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 02-04-2009, 14:48
Forum Moderator

Bob, Portsmouth United was a brewery If I remember correctly.

------------------------------------
Walls of wood; Men of iron !!
Old 02-04-2009, 20:25
Admiral

Thanks for that Rik, I didn't know that.

Bob.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:59
Admiral

Futher to Joseph's post an item of interest.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...-barrakka-lift

Regards, Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barrakka lift...jpg (43.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 14-04-2009, 11:27
Admiral

Here is an interesting shot of the Barrakka lift taken during the war.The photographer was the father of a friend of mine and was a stoker on the trawler HMS Westray.Whether he was on the Westray when this picture was taken I do not know but I will be showing a couple more of his pictures later on.
There are some interesting vessels up the creek, no doubt the experts will be able to tell us more about them!

Cheers, Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barrakka lift..jpg (410.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 14-04-2009, 18:45
Admiral

A Picture from the same source showing the Warspite in Grand Harbour with the Battlecruiser Renown in the back ground.
This picture is a little different to the usual ones of the Warspite that we see in Grand harbour.

Cheers, Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warspite-Renown.jpg (475.1 KB, 144 views)
Old 14-04-2009, 18:50
Admiral

HMS Nelson and HMS Malaya in Grand harbour with two London class cruisers.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nelson and Malaya..jpg (255.5 KB, 189 views)
Old 24-04-2009, 02:31
Able Seaman

Default Re: SLEIMA CREEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim lewin View Post
wonderful pictures; has anyone got any from 1950-51? I was a 4-year old at this time living with my parents in one of the flats at the top of the pic. Like any 4-year old memories are very sketchy. I am told my favourite pastime was sliding down the stairs with the daughter of one of my father's friends in the laundry hamper (dont see them anymore!). There was a huge, to me, model of the leaning tower of pisa in the entry-way, made of wood and paintred green, why?. My father was flotilla gunnery officer in Chequers, i can remember rowing across the creek with him to the old morris 10 he had on the opposite side which seemed to have half the engine on the front seat, later i understood it was only the head and he was doing a routine de-coke (another thing no one needs to do these days).
It was at this time I managed to catch polio, Chequers was then at the head of the Persian Gulf trying with her sisters to shake a stick at the Iranians so they wouldnt nationalise the oil refinery at ibadan. I think Mike Townsend was Captain D,.They did it anyway. Later i was in Bhighi hospital, remember the floating dock outside and then flying home with my mother in an Avro York full of wounded soldier from Korea.
Later in 1956 he was back with the 4th DF as Capt of Corunna; when he recorded his memories for the book just begfore he died he ran thru all the wheel and revolutions orders for approaching Sliema "con brio" for me. These details are what makes history alive.
There is a story of one of his first attempts to impress with Corunna by thundering up to the buoy astern and hoovering the buoy-ropes that the previously thoughtless occupant had left unbrailed and in the water, round both screws. It took hours of discreet unravelling in the dark to regain composure. but brio there was aplenty, no one appreciated caution in those days (so i'm told)
tim
tim
Hi Tim, We have sent posts to each other before. I well remember the time on Cheiftain together with your dads ship Chequers going up to Abadan at the mouth of the Persian Gulf during the Persian oil dispute(now Iran) they only had a few old minesweepers, and we soon sorted them out. Our skipper at the time was a Commander Morgan Giles, you dad must have have known al the other officers in the destroyer fleet including Prince Plillip who I beleive was the first lieutenant on Chequers. Ernest.
Old 24-04-2009, 04:49
Admiral

Thanks Ernest, he did indeed know HRH, in fact they were old friends by then having been midshipmen together in Valiant in 1940/1 after which they went to different ships. Prince Philip went, i think to Wallace (V&W) on east coast convoys, dad went first to Highlander but caught diptheria and after recovery transferred to Ashanti. Ashanti spent quite a lot of time in and out of Immingham between Kola convoys and so when Wallace was there as well they used to meet for a pint. Prince Philip was the Jimmy of Chequers in 1950. Here is a pic of them both with Prince Philip presenting the colours to his wife, dad is in the background, I think the Admiral might be Guy Grantham. I would very much welcome any other memories you might have on this period being a bit new on the scene myself at the time!
all best
tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colours to the Queen in Malta.jpg (116.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 24-04-2009, 15:28
Admiral

Exclamation Re: SLEIMA CREEK

Quote:
wonderful pictures; has anyone got any from 1950-51? I was a 4-year old at this time living with my parents in one of the flats at the top of the pic. Like any 4-year old memories are very sketchy. I am told my favourite pastime was sliding down the stairs with the daughter of one of my father's friends in the laundry hamper (dont see them anymore!). There was a huge, to me, model of the leaning tower of pisa in the entry-way, made of wood and paintred green, why?. My father was flotilla gunnery officer in Chequers, i can remember rowing across the creek with him to the old morris 10 he had on the opposite side which seemed to have half the engine on the front seat, later i understood it was only the head and he was doing a routine de-coke (another thing no one needs to do these days).
It was at this time I managed to catch polio, Chequers was then at the head of the Persian Gulf trying with her sisters to shake a stick at the Iranians so they wouldnt nationalise the oil refinery at ibadan. I think Mike Townsend was Captain D,.They did it anyway. Later i was in Bhighi hospital, remember the floating dock outside and then flying home with my mother in an Avro York full of wounded soldier from Korea.
Later in 1956 he was back with the 4th DF as Capt of Corunna; when he recorded his memories for the book just begfore he died he ran thru all the wheel and revolutions orders for approaching Sliema "con brio" for me. These details are what makes history alive.
There is a story of one of his first attempts to impress with Corunna by thundering up to the buoy astern and hoovering the buoy-ropes that the previously thoughtless occupant had left unbrailed and in the water, round both screws. It took hours of discreet unravelling in the dark to regain composure. but brio there was aplenty, no one appreciated caution in those days (so i'm told)
tim
tim
Tim my first ship was Pelican which I joined as a 16 yr old sparker on 5 Jul 50. She was leader of the 3rd F.S. Capt. Mark Bonham-Carter, the inner row in the Creek furtherest from Manoel Is. When she went home early 51, I transferred to Chequers 'Killer' Mike Townsend leader of 1st D.S. The Duke was Jimmey but requested a draft chit when he saw me and went to Magpie his first command, part of 3rd F.S. You are correct, Capt. Townsend, brother of the Wind Commander who wanted to marry P. Magaret, volunteered us for Abadan. We were all recalled onboard on the Sat, stored and armed ship, real ammo, and were on our way by Mon p.m. Got a 18k fine for exceeding the speed limit down the Canal. 6 hrs refuelling at Aden, glad I was'nt paying the bill. On round to the Gulf. 2 of us would lay off Abadan for 2 or 3 days whilst the other 2 were up at Basra and then swop over. Whilst at Basra we actually fried eggs on the upper deck to prove it could be done. The temp. was 141 degs. See elsewhere in Secret Navy Words re Basra runners. We were there for 6 weeks. No aircon. The idea was we would evacuate our nationals if trouble broke out but it did not. 2 of the other 3 were Chevron and Chieftan. And the 4th was??? I have a few fotos of Chequers including the ships company and some of her in dry dock off Grand harbour etc. etc. Queenie and the Duke used to come onboard to the cinema shows. Think 4th ship was Chivalrous? There is an excellent book on C Class Destroyers by Harold Cox. Gives history of all of them. ISBN No. 0 9523332 0 1. P.S. I also spent 14 days in Bhighi with sand fly fever. Lovely nurses. We were given a bottle of Guiness every evening because it had plenty of iron it!
Old 24-04-2009, 16:42
Admiral

I regret i was too young for the guiness; if you send me your email address I will send you the chapter in Richard Hill's book that covers this commission, just ask me for chater 3. I have never been back to Malta but i did manage to establish a memorial on Tower Hill in the City (London) to all who had participated in the Siege of 1940-43 and had the honour of entertaining HRH and the President of Malta to its dedication! I would love to see your pictures if you could send or post them on the forum. I will make it back one day, it seems that as we all get older we become more and more a prisoner of history, especially our own.
all very best
tim
PS. Did you come across a Lt. or Lt Cdr John Marrack then?
Old 26-04-2009, 22:29
Admiral

Exclamation Re: MALTA - Sliema Creek, Grand Harbour etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
On a lighter vein, who remembers Tony's bar on Sliema front, there was a framed picture on the wall showing two PO's who drank an enormous number of bottled beer( Cisks Blue Label?). Me & the wife went into Tony's about 12 yrs ago. Tony was still there, he made a rainbow cocktail for the mssus, the last coloured liqueur going to the bottom of the glass. I expect he has passed on by now, his conviction that he would see the return of rows of RN ships in Sliema Creek before he died, is never going to happen.
It was actually 38 bottles each. They agreed a draw. As an O.D. Tel I hardly believed that P.O.'S got up to such things, but at times tried to follow their example. Re the lift. Believe there was an article in the Telegraph (?) indicating a new lift will be built at a cost of over 2m, quite fancy from the artist's impression. E.U. money? Perhaps its main purpose is to get the illegals quickly from the harbour to their new quarters?
Old 26-04-2009, 22:44
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrub View Post
Hello Tackline.

Yes I remember Bobby, Sugar, and Sonny, They moved from the Gut to Floriana in the early 50's. I was told that Bobby moved to Plymouth. I was also told that the Sparrow married a Chief Stoker, and they eventually emigrated to Australia.

Regards
Harry

Regards

Harry
That rings a bell. Good entertainment in Florianna after starting off down the gut. In my time 50-52, there was an american chef who did wonderful T bone steaks in Florianna. If we finished early we had a Garrey race back to Sliema or if late went back to good old Ted's down the gut who ALWAYS got you up earlier enough to get back on board via the bottom of the gut.
Old 26-04-2009, 22:59
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
You are spot on there Joseph. They reckoned if you drank enough of it , not only did you get the DT's you went blind as well.
Before Pepsi was introduced to the island it used to be flavoured with orange juice. Very rarely was it drunk NEAT!

Bob.
The correct name was 'Glop.' Dont you lot remember the Glop cans, white enamel with a top which was held in place with a wire handle?
Old 27-04-2009, 05:30
Lieutenant

HI Dave H. Have just read your post of Mar 21 re:Tony's Hole in the Wall at the bottom of the hill from Floriana. In the 1950's this was a local for the few 'non-natives' on HMS Forth berthed in Msida Creek. 2 glasses of screech mildly diluted with lemonade would last hours for just pennies. And only a short walk back to the mess onboard. Better than playing endless games of 'uckers'. Rob T
Old 27-04-2009, 13:11
Admiral

Exclamation Re: SLEIMA CREEK

Quote:
tim
tim
Tim herewith 3 fotos as promised. Chequers in Sliema Creek dressed overall. The starboard side gangway you see was for officers, the port one for the 'erks.' My mess was behind the first couple of portholes on the lower row nearest the bow. Chequers off Malta is firmly fixed in ye olde album even after nearly 60 yrs! Early superglue? The cap ribbon is the one I actually wore. Real gold thread. None of this nylon stuff. The ships company is at Istanbul in 51. The boys won the Boys Whaler race at the fleet regatta that year. I was stroke. I think the cup is among the silverware in front of the 'details' board. I wonder what that big fancy cup was? There is a CH in the background and possibly the Liverpool behind her. Apols for quality due to fotos age, my age and first try at attachments. Already had one go and lost the lot because I closed the tabs. So hope they appear this time. Mousey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chequers off Malta.jpg (1.77 MB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg CCF27042009_00002.jpg (763.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg CCF27042009_00001.jpg (757.4 KB, 63 views)

HMS Barham with HMS Eagle in Valetta Harbour in Malta during the 1930s by Ivan Berryman

All income from the sale of artwork through this site directly funds our naval history websites

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 3rd January 1927 : HMS Enterprise : Sailed Trincomalee