World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 01-09-2017, 16:53
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Malta: Sliema Creek, Grand Harbour etc

MAINLY THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Mainly about submarine depot ships but scroll down for some interesting photos - http://www.godfreydykes.info/MALTA_A...SUBMARINES.htm
Old 01-09-2017, 19:41
Admiral

Default Re: Malta: Sliema Creek, Grand Harbour etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
MAINLY THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Mainly about submarine depot ships but scroll down for some interesting photos - http://www.godfreydykes.info/MALTA_A...SUBMARINES.htm
Some excellent photos indeed - thanks for the link.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:22
Captain

Ah yes! I remember it well!

Thank you!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:41
Rear-Admiral

I never knew there had been so many depot ships .. there over the time Malta was part of the pusser ...

Jim
Old 02-09-2017, 13:10
Commodore

I have just completed reading The Fighting Tenth again after a number of years, they mention and have pictures of the abandoned submarine pens that were being dug into the bastions across from Lazeretto.
No doubt they would have been put to very good use had they been completed, needless to say they were abandoned due to cost.

For some obscure reason I thought they proposed to construct them outside the two main harbours, not sure where I got that idea from.
Old 02-09-2017, 16:00
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill rose View Post
I have just completed reading The Fighting Tenth again after a number of years, they mention and have pictures of the abandoned submarine pens that were being dug into the bastions across from Lazeretto.
No doubt they would have been put to very good use had they been completed, needless to say they were abandoned due to cost.

For some obscure reason I thought they proposed to construct them outside the two main harbours, not sure where I got that idea from.
Phill - This is at the beginning of - https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/220606081723283308/
Royal NavySubmarinesArchipelagoMalteseSheltersWwiiAbando nedPensHoney
[Valletta] Rare view of 3 unfinished submarine pens intended to be dug very deep, in 1937, underneath St. Michael's Bastion (below Gt. Siege
There appears to be a lot about Malta on that site but I've never used it.
Old 02-09-2017, 16:48
Admiral

Hi All

For any one interested, Google Street View is now operating in Malta.

Mitch Hinde
Old 02-09-2017, 17:23
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hinde View Post
Hi All

For any one interested, Google Street View is now operating in Malta.

Mitch Hinde
Thanks Mitch, visiting old haunts should be both interesting and disappointing.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:47
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Phill - This is at the beginning of - https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/220606081723283308/
Royal NavySubmarinesArchipelagoMalteseSheltersWwiiAbando nedPensHoney
[Valletta] Rare view of 3 unfinished submarine pens intended to be dug very deep, in 1937, underneath St. Michael's Bastion (below Gt. Siege
There appears to be a lot about Malta on that site but I've never used it.
Thanks for that Pelican, indeed an excellent picture of the unfinished submarine pens, along with a few images I had not seen previously.
Old 03-09-2017, 14:47
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for that Pelican, indeed an excellent picture of the unfinished submarine pens, along with a few images I had not seen previously.
Would you post it please Phill as I only saw the script. Thanks
Old 03-09-2017, 15:23
Commodore

There you go, it is very similar to the image in the book, I will try and get a copy of that to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pens.jpg (160.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-09-2017, 15:53
Commodore

Taken from the book, sorry not very good quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pens1.jpg (317.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-09-2017, 16:16
Admiral

Quote:
Taken from the book, sorry not very good quality.
Many thanks.
Old 22-10-2017, 15:45
Commodore

OS maps from WW2 era are available here

https://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Record/4168187

Think you will find them interesting.
Old 23-10-2017, 19:53
Admiral

Very interesting , and thanks for posting these Phil
Old 10-11-2017, 18:27
Admiral

Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna

Next Event – Armistice Day Commemoration at the Saluting Battery, Valletta - Saturday 11th November 2017 starts at 10.45hrs. Free entrance.
As it does every year, Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna – the Malta Heritage Trust will be marking Armistice Day, the day when World War One came to its end on Saturday 11th November 2017 with a short service held at the Saluting Battery, Valletta starting at 10.45am. A two minute gun will be fired at 11.00am to signal the start to the two-minute official period of silence to remember those who lost their lives in conflict. The silence coincides with the time in 1918 at which the First World War came to an end with the cessation of hostilities, and is generally observed at war memorials and in public places throughout the UK and Commonwealth. A two-minute silence is also observed on Remembrance Sunday, also at 11.00am.
The public is invited to attend.
Dress: Service dress in the case of serving members of the Armed Forces and formal dress in the case of civilians. Orders and medals are to be worn.
A printed programme is available on site at entrance.
Please share.

https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...4e&oe=5A6CB9D4
Old 21-12-2017, 00:10
Admiral

SUBSMASH - SOLENT - MEMORIES

Went down in HMS Solent in 1950 whilst serving in Pelican to see what it was like at the other end.
Only one grenade that day when we were found but the noise was as bad as when Tim's father ordered a broadside to be fired by Chequers [and the rest of the flotilla] and I was down below in the main W/T office.
Plenty of dust to be cleaned before mess rounds for weeks afterwards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s s 1.jpg (438.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg s s 2.jpg (416.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 21-12-2017, 22:47
Admiral

H87 & H88

From Facebook - George Vella‎ to Royal Navy (Radio Operators)
HMS Echo and Enterprise arrive at Grand Harbour in stroppy weather.

Stroppy yes but how about when gregale was blowing?
When the 1st D.F./D.S. got back from Cyprus in 1951 we could not enter Sliema and had to go up to the lee of Sicily to turn and come back.
See - https://maltagozotravel.com/2016/12/...-fort-st-elmo/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECHO AND ENTERPRISE 1.jpg (483.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ECHO AND ENTERPRISE 2..jpg (85.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ECHO AND ENTERPRISE 3..jpg (95.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Pelican : 21-12-2017 at 23:25. Reason: Addition
Old 08-01-2018, 15:24
Admiral

THE MACINA- FROM MAST CRANE TO BOUTIEQUE HOTEL

With the Maċina mast crane’s new sheers in place, the wooden ones were removed from the building’s roof. Additional iron extensions on the roof reduced the need for support ropes and chains, although heavy cables were attached from the top of the sheers to iron rings at the rear of the bastion. A horizontal beam strengthened the ‘A’ frame.
The new sheers had a very short working life. By the time it was erected, part of the Dockyard was in the process of moving to French Creek, which was linked to Dockyard Creek by two tunnels: Short Tunnel and Church Tunnel. Work on a new graving dock in French Creek began the following year. It was completed as No. 3, the Somerset Dock, in 1871.
The Armstrong Mitchell 160-ton hydrau*lic crane (see ‘The rise and fall of Malta’s Armstrong Mitchell 160-ton hydraulic crane’, The Sunday Times of Malta, June 5, 2016) erected on Somerset Wharf in 1885/6, made the Maċina redundant; period photos confirm it as a ‘dead’ structure retracted against the bastion so as not to obstruct shipping in the creek. This made the sheers higher and even more of a harbour landmark.
The Maċina and its environs were put to different uses. A signalling station was set up on the roof; semaphore signalling linked the Dockyard with Castille and the Palace Tower. The buildings from the Main Gate to Sheer Bastion were largely taken over by the Dockyard Police (the force later became the Admiralty Constabulary).
Here were cells, dormitories, a yard and search rooms. In the guard house by the water’s edge was the surgery. This was where naval dockyard law was enforced, and where doctors and nurses attended to injuries sustained at the workplace. There were offices for the King’s Harbour Master and pilots, for applications for marriage allowances and pensions, for foremen, chargemen, submariners and boatswains. It was a place that evoked mixed feelings among the men: necessary, useful, but which left no doubt as to who was in charge.
In his testimony on the troubles of June 7, 1919, J. Hamilton, president of the Imperial Government Workers Union at the Dockyard, alluded to the general discontent that led to the men’s participation in the riots. On that day the rumour mill encouraged the men to go to Valletta to protest, and there were posters and graffiti with similar messages on the walls. The men were irked at the high cost of living, higher wages paid to expatriates for equal work and discrimination in the award of work bonuses.
The 4,000-strong workforce of 1914 quadrupled during the Great War; in 1919 the number was down to 2,500. Some 1,500 were readmitted after the Admiralty had a rethink and sent more ships to the yard. The changed role of the Maċina from a mast crane to a meeting place was highlighted by Karmenu Ellul Galea in L-Istorja tat-Tarzna (1973); the Maċina no longer had an industrial function, but was where one aired grievances and got medical attention.
Like the Maċina, the hydraulic crane in French Creek was immobile; ships or lighters had to be moved to the crane for lifting heavy loads. The situation was remedied in 1926 with the commissioning of Admiralty Floating Crane Lighter No. 4, also known as C.L.IV or ‘Clive’. It was built in 1916 by Armstrong Whitworth on the Tyne to a design by Cowans, Sheldon of Carlisle. In 1916, its 250-ton lifting capacity made it the largest self-propelled floating crane in the world. With a working radius of 100 feet and a height of 77 feet above the waterline, it gave the Admiralty unparalleled flexibility and reach throughout the harbour. A special berth was laid for it in French Creek next to Senglea Point. The crane soon became the latest harbour landmark in the inter-war years. Photographs of the air attack on HMS Illustrious in 1941 show the huge jib enveloped in clouds of smoke. It was sunk at its Boiler Wharf berth on the night of March 4-5, 1942.
By this time, not only was there no further use for the sheers but the iron had probably deteriorated, and there was no appetite for expensive maintenance or renovation. C.L.IV could quite easily remove the sheers and transport it to the wharf for demolition. However, for reasons that are unclear, the sheers were simply let go into the waters of the creek. There is no record of what happened afterwards; one can only assume it was either lifted by C.L.IV or, the beams were pulled to the wharf, lifted by shore crane and broken up in sections.
What would have been a humdrum crane lift was turned into an exciting, dramatic, if wet, public spectacle. Daily life at the Cottonera was governed by the balomba, the powerful Dockyard siren, that signalled (or rather ‘wailed’) the phases of the working day. On the afternoon of February 27, 1927, the siren announced the imminent demolition of the Maċina, a warning to keep clear. The back supports were removed, leaving just the ‘A’ frame; the pins were removed from the hinged ends; there was a high turnout to witness the once-in-a-lifetime event.
The event was reported by the Daily Malta Chronicle: “The huge crane jutting on the Dockyard Creek, high above the officers’ landing place near the yard’s Main Gate, was demolished in the presence of the Admiral Superintendent, high officials of the yard and officers of the Fleet, as well as a large number of spectators. The ponderous crane, said to be a hundred years old, plunged into the sea with terrific force, breaking into two and raising at the impact, a wave fully 35 feet high, spraying both sides of the buildings thereon, hundreds of feet away. The crane remained embedded in the mud, a portion of the huge structure jutting out of the water by several feet.”
After the war the area around the Maċina went into decline, not least owing to extensive bombing damage. The Admiralty, no doubt aware of the impending rundown of the military base, erected temporary Nissen huts and nondescript buildings. The Maltese government endeavoured to find uses for various buildings that were ceded by the military. On April 5, 1971, the Malta flag was raised on two Swift Class inshore patrol boats at Sheer Bastion, the base of the newly formed Maritime Troop. In July of that year, the troop was designated as the 1st Maritime Battery, Malta Land Force (Armed Forces of Malta in 1973). The men left Sheer Bastion for Hay Wharf on October 18, 1977.
As the tenure of the British military base in Malta drew to a close, a new ring road, Triq Marzu ’79, was built at Senglea and Vittoriosa. The Maċina was altered to provide road access into Senglea Wharf. On February 22, 1980, the Malta Labour Party moved its headquarters from Marsa to the Maċina. Two huge torches, party symbols, were erected on the sides of the bastion, and a Labour Party sign placed above the new road arches. For the next 15 years, the Maċina became synonymous with the party.
The masting crane, though not in use, remained a prominent harbour landmark.The masting crane, though not in use, remained a prominent harbour landmark.
There has always been something uncanny about Dom Mintoff’s choice of buildings; they nearly always had a historical significance that recalled political time and place. Freedom Press at Marsa was built on land belonging to Esso Standard (Malta) Ltd. Freedom Monument in Vittoriosa recalled centuries of colonialism and foreign occupation. The Maċina symbolised the Admiralty, and his (Mintoff’s) tussles over the transfer of the Dockyard to Bailey (Malta) Ltd. All three anchored the party’s roots firmly in the Cottonera and the south of the island, something his successors later successfully mitigated.
After the Malta Labour Party moved to Ħamrun in 1995, the Maċina lay derelict for some years; various uses were suggested until 2009 when it became the focal point of the maritime festival organised by Senglea local council. Miniscule sheers were erected on top of the bastion as a reminder of the original Maċina. The building continued to be loaned to the council for the annual festival.
In 2013, an agreement was reached with Port Cottonera Consortium to convert the place into a conference centre. In 2015, nothing came of a proposal for a floating barge and extension to the yacht marina. In 2016, the Maċina was leased to Von der Heyden Group to be converted into a 21-suite boutique hotel, to be marketed as Cugó Gran Maċina.
The harbour ferry sails into Dockyard Creek, past Fort St Angelo, Cottonera Waterfront, Vittoriosa and Senglea. Dead slow, to protect the yachts at the pontoons; there is time for flights of fancy, perchance to dream of other times and ages; there is the guard house, relic of the Dockyard Main Gate, now used as a residence. The cast iron hinges on the masonry plinth of the Maċina are still there.
The ferry berths at Cospicua, opposite the galley warehouses on Store Wharf, with the nave names on the lintel. Centuries of history for an inexpensive 10-minute ferry ride.
The author would like to thank Conrad Thake and Anton Quintano for their kind assistance.
Michael Cassar co-authored several books with the late Joseph Bonnici until 2009. He continues to publish books with a social, maritime and transport theme. Past subjects have included the Malta Drydocks, the Malta Buses, HMS Hibernia, Royal Navy tugs, Malta Tugs (in collaboration with Tug Malta) and The Gozo-Malta Connection. For further information, e-mail info@bdlbooks.com or mikscas@gmail.com.

From, which also contains some interesting photos - https://www.timesofmalta.com/article...e-hotel.667406
Old 09-01-2018, 14:50
Commodore

Great article Pelican.

Post war my father worked under QHM & AQHM with his office being directly adjacent to Macina, H&S being what it was at the time, as a kid I was able to wander freely in the area.

The husband of my teacher at the RN school, was with Navy Works Dept. and actually had his office in the Macina building.
I am still in touch with the teacher, and I am 70, so the Malta air has certainly kept her going.

Picture taken in fathers office next to the Macina, you will see that the civilian is hard at work, but the 2 1/2 ringer whose arm can be seen in the bottom left hand corner is sitting reading the paper.

Good times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad.jpg (32.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by phill rose : 09-01-2018 at 15:14.
Old 09-01-2018, 17:07
Admiral

Quote:
Great article Pelican.

Post war my father worked under QHM & AQHM with his office being directly adjacent to Macina, H&S being what it was at the time, as a kid I was able to wander freely in the area.

The husband of my teacher at the RN school, was with Navy Works Dept. and actually had his office in the Macina building.
I am still in touch with the teacher, and I am 70, so the Malta air has certainly kept her going.

Picture taken in fathers office next to the Macina, you will see that the civilian is hard at work, but the 2 1/2 ringer whose arm can be seen in the bottom left hand corner is sitting reading the paper.

Good times.
TU Phill, interesting, what is the circular item behind the phone base?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:50
Commodore

You will appreciate it is a long time ago, but I THINK it is a decoration made up from empty Players packets, so nothing technical.

As can be seen dad smoked at the time as did so many others, and as I have posted previously he did OK for a former Ganges Boy.
Old 17-01-2018, 12:25
Admiral

2ND F.S.

Probably Mermaid, Magpie and Cygnet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd F.S..jpg (146.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 18-01-2018, 15:00
Commodore

Great shot of the 1/2 bridge, passed under there many a time.
Old 18-01-2018, 18:55
Admiral

Yes Phill but I understand its been repaired since I was last there

HMS Barham with HMS Eagle in Valetta Harbour in Malta during the 1930s by Ivan Berryman

All income from the sale of artwork through this site directly funds our naval history websites

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 2nd January 1940 : HMS Daring : Sailed Greenock for an anti-submarine sweep towards the Mull of Kintyre