World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 28-10-2017, 13:47
Captain

Default Re: RN "No touching rule"

For those of us who do not read the Daily Mail, here's another slant on it all:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...x-Cocaine.html
Old 29-10-2017, 10:24
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1934 View Post
For those of us who do not read the Daily Mail, here's another slant on it all:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...x-Cocaine.html
Well no doubt about it, that Vigilant was a party boat it appears!

And although the drug taking seemingly happened whilst ashore, the thought of cocaine fueled sailors around a nuclear reactor, let only nuclear weapons, certainly gives one pause for serious thought.

But had I realised it was so much fun, maybe I'da thought of signing up. Argh, but way to old for that now (the signing up that is, not necessarily the partying ).

But no, a serious state of affairs it is!
Old 29-10-2017, 11:27
Admiral

As a matter of interest, having lead a sheltered life, and this is a serious question. What would be the different risk letting a bunch of drunk sailors and a similar bunch of Cocaine users on board, after a party. Eg personally I used to drive a 16ton Nubian Crash Tender after miss musters ( never caught her ) for Rum, at Lossiemouth. Pre breathalyser
. Jim

Last edited by Vegaskip : 29-10-2017 at 11:53.
Old 29-10-2017, 12:10
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
As a matter of interest, having lead a sheltered life, and this is a serious question. What would be the different risk letting a bunch of drunk sailors and a similar bunch of Cocaine users on board, after a party. Eg personally I used to drive a 16ton Nubian Crash Tender after miss musters ( never caught her ) for Rum, at Lossiemouth. Pre breathalyser
. Jim
Although not a US citizen I am still going to plead the Fifth Amendment on that one.

With all due respect Jim, a serious answer.

EDIT; OK, OK, my lawyer said if I kept it general it would be OK to elaborate, a little. So lets look at it like this. We all know swabbies and especially higher higher are notoriously efficient people at requisitioning large items (purloining some might say) and getting said item on board, and are also no doubt expert at getting other smaller items on board ship / boat (as subs be). However with regards the two substances in question, one may have trouble, or shall we say way more trouble taking on board say a case of whisky (without help), or even a bottle or three oneself, and no doubt the give-away-smell (after drinking some of same) may give the game away at some stage, even if one managed to perform said feat of getting said 'largish' quantity of said liquid refreshment onboard. And if too much is drunk (for many folks) the likely outcome is passing out at some stage. On the other hand however, just one person could take aboard a rather large quantity of 'the other substance' (just in his pocket's for instance) that even with daily use and then some, could easily last the whole cruise (and be even more than enough to share with his mates should he be so foolish), but be basically unrecognizable on / in him (save for a drugs test); and depending on how much the individual took, leaving them anywhere on the spectrum from being as if he (or she, as we can't forget the ladies now can we) had had several cups of very strong coffee and looking / acting relatively 'normal' (say just a little - or more - 'agitated' maybe), to not sleeping for days or more (yes it would be rather boring laying in that nine bunked 'cabin' awake during all your sleep time, but...............if you got the 'jones' you got 'the jones') and being / becoming a downright paranoid schizophrenic with either a God complex or, at the other end or spectrum, suicidal or, worse, take your pick. So in this comparison case it really is a small (but very effective) quantity of one substance over a large quantity of the other shall we say, and with two very different states of intoxication). Anyway, all the above is just what I've overheard at the pub. Maye I was just drunk.

Last edited by Kevin Denlay : 29-10-2017 at 13:34. Reason: Edit; OK lets look at it like this.
Old 01-11-2017, 18:09
Admiral

Hi All

Sounds more like Operation Petticoat on smack to me.

Mitch Hinde
Old 01-11-2017, 18:37
Admiral

Sorry mate you lost me half way through.
I was expecting something like a drunk driver, or not being able to put your key in the lock! As for the coccain I have never knowingly been involved with any one 'on it' so I don't know how they behave.
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Denlay View Post
Although not a US citizen I am still going to plead the Fifth Amendment on that one.

With all due respect Jim, a serious answer.

EDIT; OK, OK, my lawyer said if I kept it general it would be OK to elaborate, a little. So lets look at it like this. We all know swabbies and especially higher higher are notoriously efficient people at requisitioning large items (purloining some might say) and getting said item on board, and are also no doubt expert at getting other smaller items on board ship / boat (as subs be). However with regards the two substances in question, one may have trouble, or shall we say way more trouble taking on board say a case of whisky (without help), or even a bottle or three oneself, and no doubt the give-away-smell (after drinking some of same) may give the game away at some stage, even if one managed to perform said feat of getting said 'largish' quantity of said liquid refreshment onboard. And if too much is drunk (for many folks) the likely outcome is passing out at some stage. On the other hand however, just one person could take aboard a rather large quantity of 'the other substance' (just in his pocket's for instance) that even with daily use and then some, could easily last the whole cruise (and be even more than enough to share with his mates should he be so foolish), but be basically unrecognizable on / in him (save for a drugs test); and depending on how much the individual took, leaving them anywhere on the spectrum from being as if he (or she, as we can't forget the ladies now can we) had had several cups of very strong coffee and looking / acting relatively 'normal' (say just a little - or more - 'agitated' maybe), to not sleeping for days or more (yes it would be rather boring laying in that nine bunked 'cabin' awake during all your sleep time, but...............if you got the 'jones' you got 'the jones') and being / becoming a downright paranoid schizophrenic with either a God complex or, at the other end or spectrum, suicidal or, worse, take your pick. So in this comparison case it really is a small (but very effective) quantity of one substance over a large quantity of the other shall we say, and with two very different states of intoxication). Anyway, all the above is just what I've overheard at the pub. Maye I was just drunk.
Old 01-11-2017, 23:03
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
Sorry mate you lost me half way through.
I was expecting something like a drunk driver, or not being able to put your key in the lock! As for the coccain I have never knowingly been involved with any one 'on it' so I don't know how they behave.
Jim
Jim, you just need to reread what I wrote carefully, or just take what Mitch said and look up the definition of 'smack'. Not far off base, but for those on smack, like the 'average' alcoholic (which I realise navy guys aren't 'average', no offence meant) will just 'nod off' (i.e. pass out) before things get too out of hand. As for the 'other substance' well anything along the lines of what I said goes, believe me! Although, like I said, I only overheard it in a pub.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:13
Admiral

Oh Dear. New MOD motto. "DON'T DO AS I DO. JUST DO AS I SAY"
Jim
Old 02-11-2017, 15:32
Commodore

I thought the article by Anne Robinson on the subject was quite good, if the predators advances are unwelcome, give them a slap or knee them in the groin.
Old 02-11-2017, 17:03
Admiral

Thought occurred (as they do), I don't suppose the old excuse "Sorry, ship rolled" is accepted these days?
Old 07-11-2017, 16:06
Admiral

Hi All

I spent several of my early teen years delivering papers longing to meet a sex starved predatory housewife who would drag me in and have her evil way with me, no such luck.

Mitch Hinde
Old 07-11-2017, 16:25
Admiral

Yes no doubt there were some serious incidents, but the way the media is acting( as usual ) Britain is a land of Perverts Groppers and Dirty old men, however it might deter some people from coming here, but I doubt it. Especially when you see what's been going on in the Midlands, a bit more serious than offensive comments from thirty years ago.
Jim
Old 09-11-2017, 15:40
Admiral

Hi All

The fact that these are allegations seems to have been totally ignored by all and sundry. Nothing has been proved. Kevin Spacey has been wiped from his latest file. Are the next to go Rock Hudson, Dirk Bogarde and any other public figures that don't conform to their norm. I have yet to see any organisation handing back any of the miilions Jimmy Saville gave to charity.
A friend of SWMBO had a leg amputated in St James Leeds when he was playing at being a ward orderly and came in contact with him or a daily basis and wouldn't have a word said against him.
If any allegations are eventually proven then any of the alleged perpetrators then hit the with the full weight of the law. What has happened to innocent until proved guilty.

Mitch Hinde
Old 09-11-2017, 15:48
Captain

Totally agree, Mitch. The Thought Police are in control.
Old 10-11-2017, 17:06
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1934 View Post
Totally agree, Mitch. The Thought Police are in control.
Or the Press Barons? ?

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 26th January 1969 : HMS Danae : Arrived Gibraltar