World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 07-07-2016, 18:19
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: Lockheed Martin F35B Lightning II

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
There might be some value in looking at the USN's CMV-22B, the long range Osprey that is going to replace the Greyhound as the USN's COD aircraft, it has a range of 1,150 nautical miles.

Another thing about the Osprey is that it can carry the P&W F135 engine for the F35B.
Yes, but not including the lift fan :-

http://aviationweek.com/defense/bell...ing-capability
Old 07-07-2016, 18:32
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntfuttock View Post
There was a flurry of such reports of these aircraft flying round London, my take on it is that it was a media feeding frenzy.
At the time President Obama was visiting the UK, and knowing the security that goes with him, I would suggest that these were US aircraft carrying out recce exercises for his visit. Checking out routes, landing spots etc.
Of course every red top in the UK then jumped in with the idea that the SAS were being fitted out with these aircraft.
I have done some searching, and can find no reliable sources to back this up. I know that it is difficult to get any such info if it concerns SF but you can normally get some idea from the professionals if there is any basis for these stories. I can find none. Not saying that SF have not been trying the kit out, as they do with many things, but that's a far cry from acquiring it.
It would be nice to think there was some truth in it, but I have my doubts. Perhaps others would have more info, and might let us know.
Cheers
Grunt
The SF interest has arisen because the aircraft offers the SAS the ability to deploy troops far more quickly than they possibly can via a helicopter, armed SF can be flown from Stirling Lines in Wales to London in 36 minutes. A capability they badly need in order to be able to counter terrorism in these times. Whether or not the aircraft are on loan undergoing assessment or leased /purchased sitings have occurred much to the surprise of those that have seen them.
Old 07-07-2016, 18:44
Lieutenant-Commander

they were spotted flying in and around London and were US machines being used for the presidents visit and a US exercise, one of the aviation magazines was commenting on the sightings and although rumoured to be being tested by the SAS et al they were carrying out exercises and sorties for the visit. But were being allowed to use one of the london air corridors. Hence the tabloids going into overdrive.
Old 07-07-2016, 19:10
Sub-Lieutenant

[quote=davep;10152822]they were spotted flying in and around London and were US machines being used for the presidents visit and a US exercise, one of the aviation magazines was commenting on the sightings and although rumoured to be being tested by the SAS et al they were carrying out exercises and sorties for the visit. But were being allowed to use one of the london air corridors. Hence the tabloids going into overdrive.[/QUOTE

On this occasion a number of V22s were spotted and recorded flying at low level in and around parts of London outside of any recognised air corridor. If they were US aircraft, it's the first time this has been allowed. The acquisition of the V22 for SF has been widely reported in the Times, Mail & Express, and acknowledged by the SF themselves. Numerous sightings in and around Herefordshire, and on exercise ranges in company with UK CH47 and Apache aircraft point to UK usage. Boeing have stated the UK has declared an interest in acquiring the Osprey, and admitted that British pilots are being trained to fly it in the USA. One report advises that a V22 was used to deploy a SF unit to London in March of this year.
Old 07-07-2016, 22:00
Rear-Admiral

[quote=Jack65;10152824]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davep View Post
they were spotted flying in and around London and were US machines being used for the presidents visit and a US exercise, one of the aviation magazines was commenting on the sightings and although rumoured to be being tested by the SAS et al they were carrying out exercises and sorties for the visit. But were being allowed to use one of the london air corridors. Hence the tabloids going into overdrive.[/QUOTE

On this occasion a number of V22s were spotted and recorded flying at low level in and around parts of London outside of any recognised air corridor. If they were US aircraft, it's the first time this has been allowed. The acquisition of the V22 for SF has been widely reported in the Times, Mail & Express, and acknowledged by the SF themselves. Numerous sightings in and around Herefordshire, and on exercise ranges in company with UK CH47 and Apache aircraft point to UK usage. Boeing have stated the UK has declared an interest in acquiring the Osprey, and admitted that British pilots are being trained to fly it in the USA. One report advises that a V22 was used to deploy a SF unit to London in March of this year.
@Jack65
It has been explained to you why the aircraft were flying around the Capital, believe me the Times, Mail and Express are the last sources you should be looking at for any genuine info on defence matters, have you any reliable info on the so called acquisition of V22 or or it being acknowledged by the SF, because if you have then you have a scoop on your hands. In fact the SF never comments on their equipment, neither does the government.

We know that the UK has been looking at the capabilities of the V22, we know that UK pilots have been flying it as part of that programme. That is light years away from buying it.

I would hope that sometime in the future,we will see it flying from the CVF, but that won't be until that vessel is fully operational with all it's elements and that will take a while. So don't hold your breath.

Last edited by gruntfuttock : 07-07-2016 at 22:11.
Old 07-07-2016, 23:13
Admiral

Has this thread completely lost it's direction? The opening post identified that:- The intention is to only cover the F35B and not the other two variants. Pretty exclusive indeed, sufficiently so to remove the subject from the broader thread dealing with the QEC carriers, yet in-flight refuelling aircraft, COD aircraft, SAS and Special Forces airlift provision have all featured.

The F35B is intended to be a main weapon for the QEC carriers and as such I was perfectly happy reading about it on the QEC Carriers thread, but alas t'wasn't to be

So might one respectfully ask that the thread topic return to that for which the thread was opened ... to discuss the F35B - thanks!!

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 07-07-2016, 23:20
Admiral

I know that the Daily Mail, in its normal exaggerating "loosely based on reality - very loosely" manner, claimed a few months ago that the SAS was buying (or leasing) CV-22s - but as is often the case, they made a lot of their story up.

The reality is a lot less titillating, but much more normal and routine.

Note that even the following article has problems.
To clarify a point in the article, Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) is a part of the United States Air Force.

Breathless British Tabloid Report Leaves V-22 Insiders Cackling

Quote:
A London Daily Mail report that the V-22 is “the SAS’s deadly new weapon in the war against Islamic State terrorists threatening to bring murder and bloodshed to the streets of Britain” has Pentagon and Osprey fleet insiders giggling and Bell-Boeing executives doing some wishful thinking.

The Daily Mail told us that the SAS (Special Air Service) was either buying or leasing Ospreys from the U.S. Air Force and that U.K. special operations troops “on high alert to respond to a Paris-style strike in this country are training to use the V-22 Osprey.”

How Osprey makers Bell Helicopter and Boeing wish it were so. The companies, which make the Osprey in a 50-50 partnership, have been trying for years to get the Royal Navy to buy V-22s but, so far, the U.K. defense budget contains no money for any. If the SAS is interested, that would be news to the companies.

AFSOC won’t officially comment on the Daily Mail’s report that SAS troops have been training on CV-22B Ospreys, but on that point, the tabloid may have put 2 and 2 together and gotten 22. The U.S. and U.K., like the U.S. and a lot of other countries, have had a pilot exchange program for years. British pilots routinely train to fly U.S. planes, from V-22s and MQ-9 Reapers to F-22 Raptor fighter jets.

SAS troops also may have taken familiarization rides or even trained on Air Force CV-22 Ospreys in Britain. AFSOC’s 7th Special Operations Squadron, which flies CV-22Bs, is based at RAF Mildenhall.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:58
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Has this thread completely lost it's direction? The opening post identified that:- The intention is to only cover the F35B and not the other two variants. Pretty exclusive indeed, sufficiently so to remove the subject from the broader thread dealing with the QEC carriers, yet in-flight refuelling aircraft, COD aircraft, SAS and Special Forces airlift provision have all featured.

The F35B is intended to be a main weapon for the QEC carriers and as such I was perfectly happy reading about it on the QEC Carriers thread, but alas t'wasn't to be

So might one respectfully ask that the thread topic return to that for which the thread was opened ... to discuss the F35B - thanks!!

Little h
Yes it doesn't take much to derail a thread, and I have to admit to being an offender by answering a query on V22.
So yes, I for one apologize and agree we should get back on topic.

F35B subject only.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:10
Rear-Admiral

A little vid to bring us back on topic :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMH8Jnnav0Y
Old 08-07-2016, 13:51
Rear-Admiral

Sorry that the F35A/C are mentioned in this article, but please take it in context.
In regards to the 'Editors note' be aware that the editor Giovanni de briganti is very anti the F35, much in the mould of Pierre Sprey. As such all his remarks on the F35 should be taken with a pinch of salt.

"Pentagon Contract Announcement
(Source: US Department of Defense; issued July 7, 2016)
United Technologies Corp., Pratt & Whitney Military Engines, East Hartford, Connecticut, is being awarded $1,509,856,423 for firm-fixed-price, incentive-firm target modification P00005 to a previously awarded advance acquisition contract (N00019-15-C-0004).

This modification provides components, parts, and materials for the production of Low Rate Initial Production Lot 10 F135-PW-100 propulsion systems for the Air Force (44); Navy (4); and (9) F-135-PW-600 propulsion systems for the Marine Corps.

In addition, this modification provides components, parts and materials for (36) F135 –PW-100 propulsion systems for the international partners and Foreign Military Sales customers; (4) F135-PW-600 propulsion systems for the international partners; and (2) F135-PW-100 propulsion systems for the global spares pool.

Work will be performed in East Hartford, Connecticut (89 percent); Indianapolis, Indiana (8 percent); and Bristol, United Kingdom (3 percent), and is expected to be completed in Sept. 2019.

Fiscal 2015 aircraft procurement (Air Force); fiscal 2016 aircraft procurement (Navy, Air Force); international partner; and foreign military sales funds in the amount of $1,509,856,423 will be obligated at time of award, none of which will expire at the end of the current fiscal year.

This modification combines purchases for the Air Force ($558,411,024; 37 percent); Navy/Marine Corps ($352,871,638; 24 percent); International Partners ($350,171,923; 23 percent); and Foreign Military Sales customers ($248,401,840; 16 percent).

The Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, Maryland, is the contracting activity.

(EDITOR’S NOTE: This is not, by any means, the only contract awarded for Lot 10 production of the F-35’s engine, but it nonetheless works out to $15.25 million per engine on average.
The F-35 Joint Program Office (JPO), as always, said the prices of the F135 engines were lower than in the previous contract (this time, 2.6% to 4.2% lower) but, as always, it provides no specific prices to justify this claim.
US Air Force Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan, who heads the F-35 program office, said "The propulsion system team has kept their word in delivering on their price reduction commitments for the F135 propulsion system, which is critical to making the F-35 more affordable for the U.S. military and our allies," Reuters reported July 7.)

-ends-
Old 08-07-2016, 14:11
Admiral

There was some coverage given on the ITV lunchtime news today relating to the aircraft being at Fairford for the RIAT show.

Nice to see us back on topic - thanks gruntfuttock

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 08-07-2016, 14:19
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
There was some coverage given on the ITV lunchtime news today relating to the aircraft being at Fairford for the RIAT show.

Nice to see us back on topic - thanks gruntfuttock

Little h
Thanks harry, and here is that coverage. Sorry but I'm afraid the A/C are also in it.

http://www.itv.com/news/west/2016-07...r-at-fairford/
Old 08-07-2016, 21:29
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Lockheed Martin F35B Lightning II

Quote:
Thanks harry, and here is that coverage. Sorry but I'm afraid the A/C are also in it.

http://www.itv.com/news/west/2016-07...r-at-fairford/
Tks GF and in the spirit of 'fair does' the opposition:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-36730371
Old 08-07-2016, 22:36
Rear-Admiral

First aircraft is a USMC and second is a UK RAF !!!!!!! aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qmKB9wqff4
Old 09-07-2016, 06:51
Rear-Admiral

I think this is relevant, it appears that the RAF are still pushing for the 'A' model. If this is the case, then surely these aircraft will be taken from the 138 of the 'B' model which we are due to have in the long term (that's another matter).Once again doing the RN no favours.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...35-fle-427136/
Old 09-07-2016, 09:56
Rear-Admiral

First ab initio pilots for F35B in 2017

http://www.janes.com/article/62106/f...student-pilots
Old 09-07-2016, 21:43
Admiral

F35B 'STARS' AT RIAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ZnJHV4i0Y

That 'flap cover' still impresses me how it stands up to the pressure when raised - is there a technical desription of it anywhere please?
Old 09-07-2016, 22:08
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
F35B 'STARS' AT RIAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ZnJHV4i0Y

That 'flap cover' still impresses me how it stands up to the pressure when raised - is there a technical desription of it anywhere please?
Well you did ask :-

http://enu.kz/repository/2011/AIAA-2011-6940.pdf
Old 10-07-2016, 14:59
Admiral

Quote:
Many thanks GF - I may be some time especially being a slow reader.
Old 10-07-2016, 16:11
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Many thanks GF - I may be some time especially being a slow reader.
Take as long as you like, to be quite honest I just skimmed through it to see if it was what you were looking for.
I am completely non techy, in fact it makes my brain hurt,enjoy.
Old 11-07-2016, 13:31
Rear-Admiral

Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce Team Up to Provide Comprehensive Support for UK F-35Bs At RAF Marham
(Source: Pratt & Whitney; issued July 11, 2016)
FARNBOROUGH, UK --- Pratt & Whitney and Rolls-Royce will join forces to provide comprehensive technical support at Royal Air Force Marham to support F135 engines and the LiftSystems on the U.K.'s F-35B Lightning II aircraft.

The two industry-leading engine companies will institute a Performance-Based Logistics (PBL) approach to sustainment for the propulsion systems. A PBL contracting structure incentivizes contractors to focus on outcomes such as propulsion system availability, leading to greater efficiencies, mutual cost reductions, and operator benefits.

The companies formalized the new working relationship by signing a Memorandum of Understanding, agreeing to increase levels of cooperation and improve synergy as they join forces in support of the customer.

The agreement defines how the companies will collaborate and grow their sustainment capabilities. Pratt & Whitney, lead propulsion integrator for the F-35 program, will focus primarily on system-level performance of its F135 engines. Rolls-Royce will lead on support for the LiftSystem technology the company developed and produced, while also undertaking some delegated support work on the main F135 engine. The two companies will also look to duplicate this support model for other F-35B customers.

"With this new agreement, we'll be able to provide optimum service and sustain the F135 Propulsion System and the LiftSystem to meet the growing global demands of the F-35 customer base," said Bennett Croswell, president, Pratt & Whitney Military Engines.

"This new agreement demonstrates the commitment from both companies to keep the customer at the heart of what we do, focusing on meeting their needs in the most cost-effective and efficient manner possible," said Chris Cholerton, Rolls-Royce president – Defence Aerospace. "Rolls-Royce has been supporting the U.K.'s military aircraft fleets for more than 100 years, and we look forward to matching the innovation of this fantastic aircraft with an equally innovative support program."

The new agreement will focus the strengths of both companies to provide the best possible service solution in a more affordable and effective way for customers. The agreement will draw the companies closer together and lay the groundwork for further enhancing support for the propulsion systems in the future.

Pratt & Whitney and Rolls-Royce already support F-35B aircraft flown by the U.K. and U.S. Marine Corps across the United States.

Pratt & Whitney is a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft engines and auxiliary power units. United Technologies Corp., based in Farmington, Connecticut, provides high-technology systems and services to the building and aerospace industries.

-ends-
Old 11-07-2016, 19:37
Rear-Admiral

Rolls-Royce Grabs $216M Contract for F-35B Lift Systems
Valerie Insinna, Defense News 11:42 a.m. EDT July 11, 2016

FARNBOROUGH, England — Rolls-Royce has picked up a $216 million contract with Pratt & Whitney for the lift system used to enable the F-35B’s short takeoff and vertical landing capabilities.

The deal, announced at Farnborough International Airshow, includes 13 lift systems, labor, spares and tooling. Those systems will be integrated in F-35 aircraft produced in the ninth low-rate initial production (LRIP) lot.

A second contract for LRIP 10 could be announced as early as this summer, the company said in a news release.

Pilots can enable the system — which can generate more than 40,000 pounds of downward thrust — with the flick of a button, according to Rolls-Royce.

The lift system comprises a powerful 50-inch, two-stage counter rotating fan, a 3-bearing swivel module, rolls posts, the shaft, and a vane box, the company said. The fan produces the forward vertical lift and a thrust of more than 20,000 pounds, while the swivel module allows the aircraft to direct the thrust downward. Roll posts in the wings provide another 1,950-pound force each.

Rolls-Royce also manufactured the lift system used in legacy Harrier aircraft as well as the V-22 Osprey’s engine.

“This new contract reflects continued confidence in the technology and capability of the Rolls-Royce LiftSystem,” said Chris Cholerton, president of Rolls-Royce's defense division. “At the same time, we continue to focus on improving affordability for the customer, driving improvements into our production system.
Old 11-07-2016, 19:43
Rear-Admiral

USMC and UK could pool some F35B weapons :-

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...eapons-427234/
Old 11-07-2016, 19:50
Rear-Admiral

Farnborough is giving us an information overload :-

Future proposed F35 engine upgrade, so buying our aircraft in small batches may have been a wise decision in hindsight.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...te-for-427210/
Old 11-07-2016, 21:30
Admiral

Just to confirm someone is reading your posts GF, albeit slowly and appriciates them. Ta.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 8th January 1938 : HMS Exeter : Sailed Trinidad