World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 17-11-2017, 02:39
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: Lockheed Martin F35B Lightning II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
"The QE class carrier stands proud as cutting edge design and technology and gives the RN and RAF a capability which is surpassed only by the USN."
Someone disagrees Marius:
"This is the finest aircraft carrier in the world – it is leagues ahead of any other nation."
Sounds like Gavin Williamson has a great deal of naval experience. But I do suppose any nation would like to have a QE class carrier!
Old 17-11-2017, 09:03
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntfuttock View Post
I really cannot believe the pearls of wisdom that the ukdj comes out with. This latest must come top of its list of nonsense :-
Seconded.

The UKDJ as a source of reference, or even as a source of plain normal news, should be treated with caution.
Old 17-11-2017, 12:14
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Lockheed Martin F35B Lightning II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius_B View Post
Seconded.

The UKDJ as a source of reference, or even as a source of plain normal news, should be treated with caution.
Also Agreed.
Old 17-11-2017, 14:21
Rear-Admiral

That's strange.
Old 18-11-2017, 08:06
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Britain Takes Delivery Of 10th F-35 Stealth Jet

The Ministry of Defence has confirmed reports that Britain has received its 10th F-35 stealth fighter.
The UK has ordered 138 of the fifth-generation jets from defence giant Lockheed Martin.
The 10 delivered aircraft are currently based in the US, where British personnel are training on them.
All of the remaining jets are expected to have been delivered by the 2030s, according to the UK Defence Journal.

Continues at - http://www.forces.net/news/navy/brit...35-stealth-jet

Some other reports have quote that it is the 13th?
Scroll to the bottom of the linked article, and you will find the date... Fri, 02/06/2017 - 11:59!

This article, dated 15/11/2017, reports the delivery of the 13th!

Quote:
UK takes delivery of 13th F-35B
By George Allison - November 15, 2017

The 13th F-35B for the United Kingdom has been delivered by Lockheed Martin.

It is believed that 138 F-35 aircraft will have been delivered by the 2030s. Around 2023, the Ministry of Defence have indicated that the UK will have 42 F-35 aircraft with 24 available as ‘front-line fighters’ and the remaining 18 will be used for training (at least 4-5 on the OCU), be in reserve or in maintenance.

Numbers right now are exactly where they’re expected to be and inline with the 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review.

2 F-35B in LRIP run 3, 1 F-35B in LRIP run 4, 1 F-35B in LRIP run 7, 4 F-35B in LRIP run 8, 6 F-35B in LRIP run 9, 3 F-35B in LRIP run 10, 2 F-35B in LRIP run 11, 2 F-35B in LRIP run 12 6 F-35B in LRIP run 13, 8 F-35B in LRIP run 14 and 7 F-35B in LRIP run 15. This brings us to 42 in 2023.

The next year and next run brings us to the total of the first batch of aircraft, 48.

The variant to be used by the United Kingdom, the F-35B, is already less than Typhoon which has an estimated flyaway cost of around $141m.

According to a press release:

“The price reduction for the air vehicle was 8 percent and when adding in engine and fee, the overall total jet reduction is 7 percent. This is the largest F-35 contract ever for 90 jets, a more than 40 percent increase from LRIP 9 for 57 jets.”

The US Department of Defense and Lockheed Martin have reportedly reached an agreement in principle on the lowest priced F-35 run to date marking the first time the price for an F-35A has fallen below $100M.

The F-35A is expected to cost $85 million, less than any fourth-generation fighter ‘in the 2019-2020 timeframe’ with the other two F-35 variants also reducing significantly in price.

Jeff Babione, Lockheed Martin’s programme manager for the F-35, told reporters that the cost of the F-35 will drop to about $85 million by 2019, something also reiterated in a recent statement regarding price-concerns raised by US president-elect Donald Trump. This is understood to be thanks to efficiencies and cost-cutting manufacturing technologies. The B and C variants are also steadily reducing in cost and are expected to match it.

By contrast, the US Navy’s F/A-18E/F Super Hornet fighter aircraft comes in at $98.3 million (2016 flyaway cost.

Jeff Babione said:

“We think that price with this capability will be unbeatable. You’ll be able to afford a fifth-generation airplane for what would be a fourth-generation price for anything else offered in the free world. The Lockheed/BAE/Northrop Grumman contractor team is hyper-focused on reducing the price of the airplane. It is a fact this program is over budget from 2001’s baseline. It’s just true. We will never underrun that number.

We will never save that money. It’s gone. What matters is since that time, what’s happened to the cost on the program? It’s gone down, not gone up. Judge the program today, not where it’s been, but where it is and where it’s going.”

The initial operating capability for carrier strike, which is scheduled for December 2020, will consist of one carrier, one squadron of Lightnings and Crowsnest airborne early warning and control helicopters.

Earl Howe, Minister of State for the Ministry of Defence and Deputy Leader of the House of Lords said during a debate in the House of Lords:

“My Lords, the initial operating capability for carrier strike, which is scheduled for no later than December 2020, will consist of one carrier, one squadron of Lightnings and Crowsnest.”

Captain Jerry Kyd, commander of HMS Queen Elizabeth, commented last year on the initial deployment and the gradual increase in air wing numbers:

“We’re constrained by the F-35 buy-rate even though that was accelerated in SDSR in 2015, so initial operating capability numbers in 2020 are going to be very modest indeed. We will flesh it out with helicopters, and a lot depends on how many USMC F-35s come on our first deployment in 2021.

But by 2023, we are committed to 24 UK jets onboard, and after that it’s too far away to say.”
Old 18-11-2017, 11:41
Lieutenant

I have read on another forum that the USAF cannot afford to update the nearly 200 F35s that it has received as part of the Low Rate Initial Production, to the standard of 3f, the war fighting standard.

Is there a view of the funding status of the UK fleets upgrade path? Having a dozen F35s that cannot go to war would be slightly embarrassing.
Old 18-11-2017, 12:56
Admiral

Thanks BB. Peepers obviously in need of upgrade.
Old 18-11-2017, 13:01
Sub-Lieutenant

That was the point I tried to raise at #415 in this Topic. I was informed that this is not exceptional as it is usually the case with any new model/types of aircraft.
With regard to UK aircraft I would think that they are further down the production runs to be included in the scenario. (fingers crossed)
Old 18-11-2017, 13:32
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
I have read on another forum that the USAF cannot afford to update the nearly 200 F35s that it has received as part of the Low Rate Initial Production, to the standard of 3f, the war fighting standard.

Is there a view of the funding status of the UK fleets upgrade path? Having a dozen F35s that cannot go to war would be slightly embarrassing.
This does not answer your question Philip and I am not sure of date of origin of this pdf but it seems to indicate there is a long way to go before block 3f is ready. Meanwhile the cost of it will be rising? http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/...2016f35jsf.pdf
Old 18-11-2017, 14:25
Sub-Lieutenant

F-35 Lightning ll Block upgrades:-

The following is an extract from The Official RAF Annual Review 2017 page 10, as compiled by Air Commodore Harv Smyth (Lightning Force Commander).

"We are already intimately involved in the Block 4 upgrade, effective in the period 2021-2025. I was already working on Block 4 as a Wing Commander in the programme during 2006".

The deduction I make from that statement is that the requirements and needs of the RAF are in capable hands, with intimate oversight and involvement by those tasked with operating this aircraft. It goes without saying that if Block 4 is already being developed, then all preceding 'Blocks' must have had RAF involvement of some kind, ensuring that our F-35B will have all that is necessary for combat operations in the specified timeframes.

Lastly, I think the Level 1 partnership means more than what meets the eye.
Old 18-11-2017, 18:27
Lieutenant

This is the article that I was referring to:-
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...0-billion.html

The new F-35 Program Executive Officer, Vice Admiral Mat Winter, said his office is exploring the option of leaving 108 aircraft in their current state because the funds to upgrade them to the fully combat-capable configuration would threaten the Air Force’s plans to ramp up production in the coming years.

My concern would be if the USA is not updating their early F35s then the facility to do the upgrades will not, implicitly, be there, so where will the UK aircraft go to be upgraded or will the early examples be left as orphans?
Old 18-11-2017, 23:10
Admiral

REFUELLING

"Absurd. A FOI request reveals that the MoD is locked into the RAF Voyager PFI exclusively for Air-Air-Refuelling of all fixed wing aircraft - otherwise must pay £ penalties.
Eg UK V-22 for refuelling F-35 would not be allowed."

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

Source - Savetheroyalnavy.org
Old 19-11-2017, 05:16
Admiral

That's been known and discussed ad nauseum (and with nausea) for over 5 years (as soon as the PFI was published the discussion began on aviation boards - especially PPRuNe).

Note, however, this line from the response in the article linked & quoted above:
Quote:
It should be noted that there are exclusions which allow the MOD flexibility to receive AAR from other parties when those aircraft are supporting current operations or joint exercises.
The PFI also allows exclusions in cases where AirTanker is not able to provide the required AAR.
Such as: in the middle of the ocean where no AT AAR aircraft is in range, emergency AAR where no AAR had been planned, etc.

It is very possible that an exclusion for shipboard-based AAR operations could also be negotiated as an amendment to the contract.

Or just host a 6-aircraft USMC F-35B detachment along with a couple of USMC MV-22Bs with the AAR kit - then every sortie becomes either a "joint exercise" or a "current operation", depending on whether the sortie is non-combat or combat.
Old 19-11-2017, 22:41
Admiral

16 high-tech F-35B stealth fighters now deployed to Japan

The Marine Corps finished deploying a squadron of state-of-the-art stealth fighters to Japan Wednesday with the arrival of three F-35B Lighting IIs at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni.

Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121, which began flying its F-35Bs to the air station in January, now has a full complement of 16 aircraft.

The squadron — which five years ago became the first in the Marine Corps to receive the high-tech, single-engine, single-seat multirole jets — also became the first forward-deployed F-35 squadron when it moved to Iwakuni from Marine Corps Air Station Yuma.

Continues at - https://www.stripes.com/news/16-high...japan-1.498071
Old 28-11-2017, 16:53
Admiral

F-35 FLIGHT SIM - LSO STATION

Interview with Commander Nath Gray, Royal Navy F-35 pilot - the first pilot to land aboard the HMS Queen Elizabeth in 2018

See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1lnWqFOGgw
Old 29-11-2017, 10:38
Rear-Admiral

RAF Marham upgrades, getting ready for the F35B

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/m...tion-underway/
Old 04-12-2017, 18:25
Admiral

NEW CO FOR 617 SQDN & MORE

Defence in the Media: Saturday 2 December 2017

Posted by: MOD News Team, Posted on: 2 December 2017 - Categories: Defence in the media, Equipment, F35, Ministerial comment, Royal Air Force, Royal Navy

In today's Defence news there is coverage of 617 Squadron - the Dambusters, and HMS Queen Elizabeth.

See - https://modmedia.blog.gov.uk/2017/12...december-2017/
Old 06-12-2017, 22:48
Admiral

What do members make of the comments made about this photo? - Let me know if the link does not work and I will copy and paste.

UK Defence Journal

Picture of the UK's recently upgraded Block 3F UK F-35B, the latest version of the jet in operational testing with 17(R) Sqn

Please see:
https://www.facebook.com/ukdefencejo...type=3&theater
Old 10-12-2017, 13:43
Admiral

No problem opening and viewing the photo.
Brian
Old 10-12-2017, 14:10
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
Perhaps we should ask the Americans if we could have our Harriers back.

I believe I read that USMC were going to run the AV-8B or the updated version for the next 20 years.
They would certainly be more use than what we have at present.
Old 10-12-2017, 23:17
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill rose View Post

I believe I read that USMC were going to run the AV-8B or the updated version for the next 20 years.
I don't know what arrangement the RAF has with Lockmart but the LRIP aircraft acquired by the RAAF have already been upgraded as a matter of course.
I'd be surprised if the RAF hasn't the same arrangement.
Old 10-12-2017, 23:26
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill rose View Post

The current USMC plans have the last AV-8B squadron switching to F-35Bs in FY 26 (1 Oct 2025 - 30 Sept 2026), which is 9 years from now.

This can change, depending on airframe conditions, but the last USMC F/A-18 or AV-8B squadron is to transition in FY31. That's only 14 years from now.
Old 18-12-2017, 14:28
Rear-Admiral

Last of the first batch of 14 aircraft delivered :-

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...ning-this-year
Old 18-12-2017, 23:04
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntfuttock View Post
Last of the first batch of 14 aircraft delivered :-

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...ning-this-year