World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 07-04-2011, 17:36
Admiral

Default Re: Stone Frigates

Lots of memories of HMS Vernon too, Paulus.

Best thing about Vernon was the closeness to the Harbour railway station and long week end.

Dave
Old 07-04-2011, 18:00
Lieutenant

Default Re: Stone Frigates

Some historical pages re HMS Vernon are here:

http:/ /www.twogreens.co.uk/navy/SHIPS/VERNON.htm

Regards,
Serge.

Last edited by jbryce1437 : 28-11-2017 at 15:46. Reason: dead link disabled
Old 29-05-2011, 03:31
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: RN Shore Training Establishment: HMS Vernon

I have just found that my great Uncle Richard Dunn was posted to HMS Vernon in 1925. Is there any way to find out more about the period he was there & perhaps his service in particular? Thank you.
Old 01-06-2011, 13:13
Petty Officer

Thank you for a wonderful trip down memory lane. I was at Portsmouth Polytechnic (Now Portsmouth University) from 1976 to 1980. I was a Mid in the Southampton University Royal Naval Unit (SURNU) one of 4 URNUs at that time in the 1970's. I used to walk down the road, from the Engineering Dept at Anglessey Road to the main gate and join the ship berthed in the creek there. We then went up to the RNR base at HMS Wessex. Dock Gate 4 where we picked up the rest of the Uni members.

Training was every Thursday evening (RNR night at Southampton) and at the weekends we had the training trips. We had 3 cruises per year of 14 days onboard, one at Easter and 2 in the Summer. Training at Dartmouth was in the Summer.

I still have the battledress uniform somewhere.... not that I can fit into it now!

The pictures of HMS Vernon shows HMS Isis, the URNUs ship, moored in Vernon Creek.

Intersetingly the pictures also shows thye old Portsmouth Power Station which ceased generating in 1976 and was later demolished, making way for a housing estate.

Happy Days

Mike_H
Old 23-07-2011, 20:37
Ordinary Seaman

Smile Any one interested in the history of HMS Vernon

Hi as the title says I am reading a very good book about Vernon and can recommend it to any one interested in the complete history of torpedoes,mine warfare,and of course Vernon.
Very good read.
Does any one know what happened to the model ships which were in the Captains office?
Old 23-07-2011, 20:51
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Any one interested in the history of HMS Vernon

Soapy,

There is already a thread regarding HMS Vernon here.

Perhaps I could ask you to use the search facility before submitting new posts, in order to avoid duplication and ensure that all available information is kept together as far as possible.

If you need help mastering the search facility, have a look at the guidance here:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7499

We also have a Naval Book Forum for posts/threads about books.

I will leave your thread up for 24 hours and then move it to the existing thread.

Cheers

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Last edited by kc : 05-11-2014 at 15:31.
Old 24-07-2011, 07:07
Lieutenant

Default Re: HMS Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.birch View Post
Hi Bob.Shayler,I did my electrical & torpedo training at H.M.S.Vernon 1941,but it was Brighton at Roedean girls school we had cabins & a bell to ring for a mistress, when we rang it all we got was a irate C.P.O.we were housed at St. Dunstans (the blind institute ) Doug. birch Ex.-EA
Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee, Chiefy.

Quote : No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee." Unquote. John Donne

Taking the message here to heart, I feel that the reductions in the Royal Navy diminishes myself and all those who served alongside me. I'm still in touch with some 60 years on and they serve to remind of what we were and how proud we were to be part of it. I still recall the stentorian voice of CPOGI "Ginger" Young when drilling my class at ST. VINCENT. 'Head up, shoulders back, chest out , stomach in, and dig those heels in. You are fledgling members of the finest fighting force the World has ever seen." Some things you never forget, and and go on to live by.
Old 24-07-2011, 08:54
Rear-Admiral

Default Project Vernon - Forthcoming Events

The aim of Project Vernon is to erect a monument at Gunwharf Quays to commemorate the minewarfare and diving heritage of HMS Vernon which formerly stood on the site (see Post #44). The involvement of the pre-MW Branch TAS Branch will be explained on an accompanying display as will be all those others involved in mine design, naval bomb & mine disposal, minesweeping, minehunting, suface ship minelaying, submarine minelaying, aircraft minelaying, naval control of shipping, deep diving, experimental diving, ships' diving, clearance diving, X-Craft and Chariot diving, SAR diving, etc. Online donations can be made via the charity's webpage here: The Vernon Mine Warfare And Diving Monument

Artist's impression of the Vernon Monument

1,200 Mile Cycle Marathon

Next Wednesday afternoon (27 July), a team of eight cyclists from the Minewarfare Operational Training Centre at HMS Collingwood is due to arrive at Gunwharf Quays after having cycled the 1,200 miles between each of the towns and villages in England and Wales after which the 13 Hunt Class minehunters have been named. The aim of their epic ride is to raise funds for Project Vernon and the RN & RM Charity (RNRMC) and you can sponsor them via their online charity webpage here: mwcharityriders's fundraising page

Portsea Island Charity Swm

Next Saturday (30 July), a team of serving and ex-serving divers and minewarfare personnel will attempt to swim anti-clockwise around Portsea Island to raise funds for Project Vernon, Cystic Fibrosis Kids of Portsmouth (CFK) and the RN & RM Charity (RNRMC). See coverage in the Portsmouth News here. A Project Vernon stand will be open in Gunwharf Quays to take donations and offer merchandise for sale including prints of this specially commissioned painting of HMS Vernon in its heyday.

Artist John Terry FCSD in his studio with 'Vernon Creek'

Alternatively, you can support the swimmers and their worthy causes by visiting their online charity webpage here: Royal Navy Clearance Divers & Friends Portsea Island Swim 30 July 2011

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Last edited by Rob Hoole : 24-07-2011 at 09:06.
Old 24-07-2011, 10:49
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob shayler View Post
Hi everyone,
For those mebers who served there, this is how it looks now. I have take some photos of the remaining original buildings but apart from the Admin block, do not know what they used to be. The site was sold off a number of years ago for development and is now known as Gunwharf Quays, a combination of housing, shops, restaurants, bars and night clubs. The site is dominated by the Spinnaker Tower which has viewing platforms which give a magnificent view accross the whole area including the Solent.
regards,
Bob
HI Bob thanks for the pictures of HMS VERNON it sure dont look like it was when I was there
Ted
Old 24-07-2011, 10:52
Ordinary Seaman

Smile Re: Any one interested in the history of HMS Vernon

Thank you for that, I will do my home work in future.
Old 24-07-2011, 10:57
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H View Post
Thank you for a wonderful trip down memory lane. I was at Portsmouth Polytechnic (Now Portsmouth University) from 1976 to 1980. I was a Mid in the Southampton University Royal Naval Unit (SURNU) one of 4 URNUs at that time in the 1970's. I used to walk down the road, from the Engineering Dept at Anglessey Road to the main gate and join the ship berthed in the creek there. We then went up to the RNR base at HMS Wessex. Dock Gate 4 where we picked up the rest of the Uni members.

Training was every Thursday evening (RNR night at Southampton) and at the weekends we had the training trips. We had 3 cruises per year of 14 days onboard, one at Easter and 2 in the Summer. Training at Dartmouth was in the Summer.

I still have the battledress uniform somewhere.... not that I can fit into it now!

The pictures of HMS Vernon shows HMS Isis, the URNUs ship, moored in Vernon Creek.

Intersetingly the pictures also shows thye old Portsmouth Power Station which ceased generating in 1976 and was later demolished, making way for a housing estate.

Happy Days

Mike_H
Mike - there were two parts to the power station - the generating bit and the offices. The generating bit and conveyor belt (offloading coal!) was quite close to where the Wightlink Ferry site is now, the offices were across the road. The offices were taken over and used by the local authority for two departments, (I know, I worked there!) then later sold off to a developer who converted them into flats.

Edna
Old 24-07-2011, 11:58
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonclass View Post
Here are the pix I posted the other day that have since gone missing...
Thanks Rik for the two main gate pictures of HMS VERNON like the old one better
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
Here are the ones that I posted and disappeared.

Bob.
Great pictures of HMS VERNON Bob Thanks for sharing. love the one with the Ton class minesweepers berthed alongside
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonclass View Post
And again.....
LOVELY pictures of HMS VERNON in her Glory days Rik
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob shayler View Post
These are photo's of HMS Vernon Auxilliary Company operating just before WW2. Found these on the HMS Vernon Web Site. My friend Roy, now 90, enlisted into this in 1938. He said they used to carry out exercises in the channel as far out as the Channel Islands using trawlers,
regards,
Bob
Two very nice pictures of days gone By. Bob
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
If you fancy a nostalgia trip have a look at this one!

Enjoy, Bob.
great picture Bob it how vernon looked when I was there for a short stay in 1955
Ted
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23
Rear-Admiral

Default Vernon extravaganza at Gunwharf Quays this weekend

This weekend, Gunwharf Quays and the Winchester-based Wet Picnic Theatre Company will come together again to create an exciting afternoon performance for all the family. The 'Depth Charge' project events will culminate in an explosive finale starting at 1500 on Sunday 15 April when a grand procession will parade around Gunwharf Quays. I am attaching images of a poster of this event plus the spectacular finale of the show in December last year.

Quote:
"Focusing on the mystery of Commander 'Buster' Crabb, a missing post World War II Royal Navy diver, this parade will end with a beautiful aerial performance from the crane on the waterfront (by Cafe Rouge). With daytime activities for the children and treasure trails for all the family, Sunday promises to be a fun day out for everyone."
To accompany this event, Project Vernon, the campaign to erect a monument at Gunwharf Quays commemorating the Minewarfare & Diving heritage of HMS Vernon which formerly stood on the site, will have a stand at Gunwharf Quays over the weekend too. The latest Project Vernon newsletter can be downloaded here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg depthcharge_poster.jpg (72.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg oraryimage1.jpg (70.8 KB, 7 views)

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 13-04-2012, 10:38
Rear-Admiral

From today's Pompey News:
Learning about Gunwharf Quays’ naval past
Quote:
NICOLE Oliver was among dozens of children who have been learning about Gunwharf Quays’ naval past during the Easter school break. Eight-year-old Nicole, of Watford, who is on holiday in Portsmouth with her family, made a Royal Navy diver out of clay at the Depth Charge workshops in the shopping centre. Centre staff and the international theatre company Wet Picnic have been running events all week to celebrate Gunwharf’s history as the naval mine warfare and diving establishment HMS Vernon. It saw Nicole and other youngsters get hands on to create their own navy divers out of clay.

‘It was a lot of fun. I called my one Dave,’ said Nicole.

Her dad Shay said: ‘It’s a great event to learn a bit more about Portsmouth and get kids involved in a bit history. It was good entertainment as well.’

The Depth Charge workshops are running until Sunday afternoon. It will conclude with a ‘flash mob’ at 2pm on Sunday, which will see dozens of divers appear across the shopping and leisure centre for an hour. There will then be a final procession at 3pm for youngsters to show off their clay divers and other crafty creations before it ends with a show by the Wet Picnic performers.
Attached image shows Nicole Oliver on holiday visiting Gunwharf Quays with her diver made out of clay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2806796974.jpg (120.1 KB, 4 views)

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 07-05-2012, 23:22
Rear-Admiral

Further to my Post #44 regarding HMS Vernon's ship's badges, Duncan Vincent, the proprietor of Galloway Angling in Newton Stewart, Wigtownshire, Dumfries & Galloway in Scotland, has sent me the attached image of a cast metal ship's badge in his possession and is curious about its provenance.

This design was used by HMS Vernon until replaced by the more familiar arm and trident in, I believe, 1961. According to 'The Torpedomen - HMS Vernon's story 1872-1986' by Rear Admiral Nicho Poland CB, CBE, this was the year Osprey closed down as a school and all A/S (Anti-Submarine) training was transferred to Vernon. I suspect the badge in question was mounted on one of the diving boats or other tenders that might have been broken up at nearby Cairn Ryan. Does anyone have any other ideas where it could have come from?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vernon badge 7 May 2012 a.jpg (175.5 KB, 10 views)

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 08-05-2012, 11:47
Commodore

What happened to the ASUATs that were around the heliport?
I was the maintainer of ASUAT 1 in the late 60s
Fred
Old 09-05-2012, 00:52
Rear-Admiral

Fred - As far I remember, the remaining ASUATs and MASTUs were transferred to DRYAD when the Passive Sonar section (the last vestiges of ASW training) moved out of VERNON in the mid-1980s. The attached photo shows them still on the heliport in 1977.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vernon Aerial 1977.jpg (1.30 MB, 30 views)

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 09-05-2012, 09:09
Commodore

Bit of light relieve re Vernon.
I was in Vernon December 68 thru to mid 70 as the maintainer of ASUAT 1. My mate one LEM White, Knocker to us was a single LEM with loads of spare money so he bought himself a 4.2 litre Jaguar. When he first arrived at Vernon in his new Jag the gate staff, as he drove thru the gate, saluted him thinking he was an officer. Knocker quick to the front acknowledged the salaute and thought bugger if they realise I'm just a lowly LEM I'm in for an ear bashing so he drove his car down the main drag and parked up then returned to the main gate for his station card.
The unfortunate thing was he had to carry on this pretence for months receiving a kindly saluate every morning from the friendly gate staff.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:24
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.

As a matter of curiousity when were the MASTUs taken to Vernon.
In the dark ages when taking UC courses ( itwas called ASDICs in those days ) the first part of the course was at Vernon and then we were drafted to HMS Osprey to complete the course. This was of course before the Helicopter days.

Bob.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:49
Rear-Admiral

Bob - I assume the MASTUs were moved to Vernon in 1961 when, as I remarked in Post #90, the school at Osprey closed down and all A/S (Anti-Submarine) training was consolidated at Vernon.
ASUAT = Anti-Submarine Universal Attack Teacher
MASTU = Mobile Anti-Submarine Training Unit

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 26-05-2012, 08:06
Captain

Rob.. If it narrows the date down a bit for you I arrived from Ganges and joined Vernon in January 1960,the place was wall to wall with MASTU's.There was so many Junior Seamen we were billeted across at Stokes Bay in what was known as Vernon 2.

Peter.
Old 28-11-2017, 01:13
Leading Seaman

Hello All,

I'm trying to do some research on my grandfathers role on board various ships and note that he spent from 26/2/1938 - 28/9/1938 at HMS Vernon.

I know he was a torpedoman, but I don't really know what a torpedoman would actually do day to day. From what I can gather maintenance would have been a large part of his day and I believe electrical work would have been part of that.

Does anyone know of a book, website, or a thread in this forum that I haven't discovered yet which would outline what he would do?

Also, his next posting was curious, he was placed on the HMS Despatch from 29/9/1938 to 26/10/1938. My research on Despatch has her being placed as a training ship from late 1938. After a spell at HMS Victory from 27/10/1938 to 2/2/1939 he was posted aboard the HMS Ramillies.

My understanding of HMS Ramillies is that she had her final 2 torpedo tubes removed before 1938. So what would a torpedoman do on a ship without torpedos?

Sorry for all the questions.....

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 28-11-2017, 15:44
Forum Moderator

You might find some of the information that you are looking for on this page. Also, there is a site about HMS Vernon's history, created by Rob Hoole, here.
Some background to the early Torpedo Branch here.
Some background to electrical training here.
Albert Malin was a torpedoman and recounts his time in the RN here - click the buttons to the right of the screen to see the various chapters to his story.

Jim
Old 28-11-2017, 22:12
Leading Seaman

Thanks Jim, So much reading to do!
Old 28-11-2017, 22:17
Leading Seaman

Also although not great photo, here is a medal my grand father received from HMS Vernon for his cricketing prowess. Before having it framed I neglected to get the other side photographed but it has a profile of a batsman playing a glorious cover drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 033.JPG (1.77 MB, 7 views)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 8th January 1939 : HMS Gallant : Arrived Marseilles