World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 29-12-2012, 13:31
Ordinary Seaman

Default Submarine Service WW II

Hi everyone,
I have had help in researching my fathers Naval Service. I have found that he served in the mediteranean ( Egypt, Malta,) on warships. I was recently told by my father's sister that he was also on a submarine and that they had to stay under for a long period and some men went a little crazy. Was it normal to move between types? His service record just identifies service in Egypt.
Old 29-12-2012, 23:05
Captain

Default Re: Submarine Service WW 11

I think that the confusion is over the record of Phoenix on the service record. Phoenix was a submarine but had been lost before the date showing your father being attached to her. There was however an aircraft repair yard in Egypt also called HMS Phoenix and I believe that it is probably the latter to which your father belonged.
Old 30-12-2012, 03:19
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton View Post
I think that the confusion is over the record of Phoenix on the service record. Phoenix was a submarine but had been lost before the date showing your father being attached to her. There was however an aircraft repair yard in Egypt also called HMS Phoenix and I believe that it is probably the latter to which your father belonged.
I should think that anybody serving in a submarine during WW2 had every reason to go 'a little crazy'. It is hard to imagine the terror of the prospect of being depth charged.

On a couple of occasions when away from Naval bases and a submarine was berthed alongside it was common practice to move aside in the bathrooms or suspend one's ablutions, to give the submariners priority use of the facilities. It was recognised that their needs were far greater than ours.
Old 30-12-2012, 11:03
Vice-Admiral

Mike, it may also be that your father was in a submarine `in transit' from Malta to Gib / Egypt. Many `surface ship' naval men were in submarines such as OLYMPUS etc.

Sadsac

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 6th January 1934 : HMS Curacoa : Arrived Falmouth