World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 20-05-2009, 22:06
Captain

Default Re: HMS Ganges.

Greeting's shipmates,
I joined Ganges June 54, and one thing that I thought was a complete and utter waste of time was - being issued with brown canvas shoes, and having to buy a tin of black boot polish and make them black. I suppose it was character building along with all the other bull. Still, I would not have missed it for anything.
Baz.
Old 20-05-2009, 22:10
Admiral

Where's Mouseys' contribution in this Thread!!!!

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 20-05-2009, 22:13
Admiral

Reading your experiences of Ganges in the 50s and before, has proved one thing. I must have got lost between Liverpool Street and Shotley Gate and ended up in Suffolk's version of the Savoy!!!!!!!!!
Old 20-05-2009, 22:14
Admiral

Re Mousey

I think he went over to the Annexe to give the sprogs a hard time. He will be back when the bar opens!!!!!!!!
Old 21-05-2009, 08:25
Rear-Admiral

Like everyone else I have good and bad memories of the place - mostly good.
One thing that sticks in my mind is the memory of how we were woken up in the morning: CRS 'Basher' Briggs, our class instructor, would hurl the mess dustbin the length of the messdeck and this would be followed by references to our supposed illegitimate births issued in stentorian tones. Nobody was ever accused of being slack to obey when 'Basher' was around!
I have vivid memories too of learning to touch-type at the signal school. All the keys were blacked out so that we couldn't see what letters we were hitting even if we wanted to. By playing records to the class and us hitting the keys to the beat our typing speed gradually increased. The music was, in the main, dire and we all looked forward to hearing the one record we enjoyed. It was by a group called The Beatles. I wonder whatever happened to them.

Keep smiling
Jan
Old 22-05-2009, 01:53
Petty Officer

Phots of mum's dad when stationed at Ganges in the 20's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg navy%20002.jpg (17.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg pic21.jpg (59.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 22-05-2009, 14:05
Sub-Lieutenant

Ganges made Butlins seem like a holiday camp.

Where are you Stoker Chief Petty Officer Perrin ?

Boys to men.......in 10 seconds....... after entering the Main gate was like entering a time warp.

Proud to have been a Ganges boy , well what I mean is ,I survived Ganges and Chief Perrin.
Old 22-05-2009, 14:45
Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: GANGES BOYS

Joined Ganges July 10th. 1951 Annexe Yeoman Howard then Benbow division 11 Class 30 Mess C.P.O. G.I. Bill Boddy, and P.O. Windy Blizzard who was a T.A.S.I.
Benbow30

Last edited by benbow30 : 22-05-2009 at 21:52.
Old 22-05-2009, 15:00
Admiral

Ganges wasn't that bad in my opinion. Once a 15 year old got over homesickness and not having Mum around to do everything for you. We didn't know any different. All we know was that by getting first class meant more privileges and knowing when we went to our "trade" Establishment it would be even better. Don't know how I would have felt if I went back there after 5 or 6 years in the "proper" navy.

We had good instructors (except the Faith Hope & Charity episodes) P/O Eggy Bowen and another whose name escapes me we called him Snozzle as he had the biggest nose that I have ever seen. Friday night routine and getting on your hands and knees with your boot brush and polishing the wooden floor block by block (Parquet) was a bit of a grind. When we got to the door, we dreaded the "Right. Back up to the top" and start again.

Passing the swimming test wasn't funny. I was never a good swimmer. Failed first time so it was, up at 5.30am and swimming until we passed the test. I assure you it did't take long for us to pass!!!!!

Work ship.... Did it twice. The first time was in the C.M.G. Central Messing Galley. Not a good job. washing the floors after every meal and preparing for the next meal. The next job was Mail Runner. Great little job walking around the Establishment delivering the internal mail to the Offices and Div Offices. Nobody bothered you, you could take as long as you wanted. The Mail Office was run by Civvy's they were all oldish (mind you even 30 somethings seemed old to us 15year olds) and there was very little discipline which was great.

Climbing the mast was a bit daunting. Never got higher that the "Cow Horns" No way was I going to shin up the pole to the button!!!!! We did the Mast Manning for Parent's Day and that year Blue Peter came down and covered it.

Going on leave meant getting up at 3.00am and leaving there at 4.00am by bus to Ipswich for the special trains that left there to all parts of the country. We didn't mind the early rising as we were going home!!!!

Divisions were a bit of a bind. Doing the march past and dreading the little note that a runner delivered to the Instructor from the Commander and worried that it said "Around again"

I did enjoy the sports at Ganges. I played Rugby for the Division and Cricket for Ganges. I enjoyed the cricket as it meant that we could get out into the real world for the afternoon to play Schools etc.

Last edited by qprdave : 22-05-2009 at 15:11.
Old 22-05-2009, 17:37
Admiral

Default Re: GANGES BOYS

Joined Ganges 12th September 1966. Annexe then Duncan 13 Mess
Old 22-05-2009, 18:30
Sub-Lieutenant

I think it was John Noakes from BP who came to climb the mast ?

I remember a rumour Radio Caroline was supposed to be out to sea off of Felixstowe.
Old 22-05-2009, 18:32
Sub-Lieutenant

We had a right one as our instructor! I think it was John Noakes from BP who climbed the mast ?

I think a lot of folk from those days had the hots for Valerie Singleton !

I remember a rumour Radio Caroline was supposed to be out to sea off of Felixstowe. I did enjoy sailing and pulling the 32 cutters around Harwich harbour.

There was a lot of Lightships anchored in the harbour to.
Old 22-05-2009, 18:37
Admiral

Thats right Benbow, it was. I knew the John bit but couldn't remember his surname. He certainly had guts to get to the Button. Were you there at that time? I was on the mast with him but a lot lower.
Old 22-05-2009, 18:39
Admiral

"I remember a rumour Radio Caroline was supposed to be out to sea off of Felixstowe."

Caroline was just off the coast at Frinton on Sea. Not far away
Old 22-05-2009, 19:03
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdave View Post
Thats right Benbow, it was. I knew the John bit but couldn't remember his surname. He certainly had guts to get to the Button. Were you there at that time? I was on the mast with him but a lot lower.

I left Ganges in mid 67 to join HMS Diamond.in Chatham. Did John Noakes have his dog Shep with him ?
Old 22-05-2009, 19:22
Admiral

Can't remember Shep being there

I left in August '67
Old 22-05-2009, 21:00
Sub-Lieutenant

I think thats when I left for Raleigh for a few weeks then onto Chatham and the real navy.

We were in the last mess on the left at the bottom of the LCW. Benbow Division.
Old 23-05-2009, 08:24
Vice Commodore

Yes the memories come flooding back.
Joined Ganges May 7th 1957, accommodated at the annex Thrywitt one mess, initially joined as a boy seaman, after the usual five weeks having a mixture of drill and sewing all our kit with red silk thread, marching over to the main establishment for a drop of mast climbing, I joined the main establishment in Benbow division under the loud mouth of CPO(GI) Dolly Gray.
What a tyrant he was. But what a slice of luck, he came into the mess one day and asked in his usual dollset tones 'who wanted to be a communicator'.
me I said lying through my back teeth, 'report to signal school' there I was, a boy signalman not a boy seaman.
Back classed into Anson Division 22 mess with CPO(Tel) Foxy Marshall and Yeoman Jack Dempsey (later 2.1/2 I believe). What can I say about Foxy, one of his favorite tasks was to put a poor grovelling trainee into the big shinny dustbins having to shout out I am Rubbish. What can I do get away from this madman, I know I'll join the bugle band, off I went kitted out with a tiger skin and tenner drum, at least it got me away from morning divisions.
Eventually qualified as Junior Signalman and left Ganges in November 1958 to join the real navy onboard Ulysses.
Met up with Dolly Gray at HMS Cambridge, gunnery school Wembury, prior to my demob. Oh yes he did remember me, had a few words about the whys and wherefores of leaving his class. Happy days.

Derek
Old 23-05-2009, 09:55
Lieutenant-Commander

Hi Derek,
Sadly, Lt. Cdr Jack Dempsey died while still serving, at HMS MERCURY - I believe it was 1979, a really super guy that everyone liked.

Fairlead
Old 23-05-2009, 12:56
Vice Commodore

Hi Fairlead, sorry to hear about Jack if may call him that, yes he was a true gentleman, remember going sailing or pulling with him as a class, always got the blue liners out, Im sure all who knew him will be sad of his demise..

Derek (301 class buntings)
Old 23-05-2009, 13:58
Admiral

My dad joined Ganges on 1st April 1912 (so he always said - and it was in his prayer book). He told tales about the Button Boy, a bit hairy in those days.
He did well in gunnery so was sent on to Whale Island, where his brother was already based - they were from a family of gamekeepers so they had 'gunner's eye'.
He was drafted to Ganges (as a recalled pensioner) in the 1940s and worked with a lot of recruits from Newfoundland, who could do magic with small boats.
He and his oppo found and nourished a walnut tree (we had pickled walnuts for Christmas!) and they were also involved in keeping hens - don't know whether they started it or inherited it, but it provided a good few eggs to supplement the wartime diet (and also a few Christmas birds for staff to take home, our was called Cardinal Wolsey because he was red, had very long legs, and a horrendous voice!)
Anyone go back to those days??
Old 11-06-2009, 11:48
Ordinary Seaman

My Dad was a cook there in 1944 Afred W Douglas from the I O Man after he came back from the Med
John Douglas
Old 11-06-2009, 12:05
Admiral

Hi Jan, qprdave & Fairlead + all others,

Big memories of "Boy to Man School"

Me, 1953 Blake - Instructors POTEL's Danny Kaye and Buck Rogers - thought they were ******* some the time but when I became an Instructor myself began to appreciate their frustrations. Did the Shotley Routine bit and agree
once was enough and never again. Blacked out typewriters were a cow but think how quickly you put together threads today - have pity on the deckapes and klankies - only joking fellas. Keep them coming.
Aye....... Dave
Old 11-06-2009, 13:25
Captain

1959,I wonder if anyone remembers the Field Gun up and down Laundry Hill.After about two hours it got to be quite hard.Usually it came after Faith,Hope and Charity but before Shotley Routine.We must have been fit in those days.
Old 11-06-2009, 13:36
Admiral

Yep and none of it came under any 'No.' of nourishment... t'was just a kind of character building or retribution if I'm honest, but what the hell with 1800 to 2000'ish youngsters - there was bound to be a little misbehaving by those of us who weren't in the 1st team in sports. 2nd XI just left you with a little unburnt extra energy lets say!!!

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 5th January 2007 : HMS Cumberland : Plymouth Sound