World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 29-06-2008, 03:47
Admiral

Default Re: Training Establishments

Being at Ganges in 1966. We were told that there was an Officer who was one of the survivors from the Hood. He was supposed to work in the Signal School. Can anyone verify this.

Also how many have had to run down and up Faith Hope & Charity at night for making a noise after lights out.

The Class that I was in, only did it once. That was enough
Old 29-06-2008, 14:36
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdave View Post
Being at Ganges in 1966. We were told that there was an Officer who was one of the survivors from the Hood. He was supposed to work in the Signal School. Can anyone verify this.

Also how many have had to run down and up Faith Hope & Charity at night for making a noise after lights out.

The Class that I was in, only did it once. That was enough

Yes , I heard the same rumour in mid 66 when I was there,

I have travelled up and down F,H & C as punishment but not at night , we had the pleasure of going up and down the Long Covered way.

Does any one remember the Wall bar display for open days in 66. We had 2 set of wall bars erected on the parade ground. One morning during a practice one of the wall bars fell over as it was being erected and one chap was under the bars. An officer ran over and lifted it off of the young lad . I knew the lad who was hurt , he recovered .

I believe he was the same lad lost overboard from HMs/m Courageous on 73. I as on the Churchill and we spent the night searching for Hutch along with the Courageous off the North of Scotland in very rough weather!
Old 07-07-2008, 22:32
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.

Would you be a brave man today and climb round the Devil's elbow.
Faith, Hope and charity today.

Thanks to the Ganges association.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Devils elbow.jpg (99.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Devils_Elbow.jpg (91.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg FHC.jpg (192.8 KB, 59 views)
Old 11-07-2008, 08:00
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Hi Bob not being a GANGES man I can see the significance of the names for the mast but put me out of my misery, why the steps and why charity?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:20
Admiral

These were three flights of steps used for Jankers etc.
Sadistic instructors used to make the poor Boy entry recruits double up and down them in all sorts of weathers. Usually the whole class would have to take part in a single file and often the order would be shouted out "Rear man to the front" where the poor guy at the rear had to double past his classmates to take up the lead position.
Not very nice at all and I am not exaggerating when I say that one lad actually died whilst going through this process!
Hope this answers your query.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FHC.jpg (62.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 11-07-2008, 13:37
Sub-Lieutenant

Take a look at this new site , great photographs.

http://www.axfordsabode.org.uk/ganges.htm
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
These were three flights of steps used for Jankers etc.
Sadistic instructors used to make the poor Boy entry recruits double up and down them in all sorts of weathers. Usually the whole class would have to take part in a single file and often the order would be shouted out "Rear man to the front" where the poor guy at the rear had to double past his classmates to take up the lead position.
Not very nice at all and I am not exaggerating when I say that one lad actually died whilst going through this process!
Hope this answers your query.

Bob.

Sadistic instructors as you say Bob, can`t say that RALEIGH had any in my time there in 53,it was a case of picking up a fire extinguisher and doubling around the parade ground 6 times, no one died doing that thank goodness.
Thanks for answering my quiery.
Old 03-09-2008, 16:29
Rear-Admiral

Some memories here chaps! I was at Ganges in 64/65 and as a trainee sparker I can tell you that the old RNTE building was very much in use then as the signal school. Our skipper at that time was Godfrey Place V.C. of Tirpitz attack fame but I don't remember the Hood survivor being there during my time. He may well have been at the signal school though as I seem to recall that he was a boy signalman on the Hood. Time at Ganges seems to have continued pretty much unaltered for generations of we young matelots. I remember always being hungry like most youngsters and all the scrubbing of decks, endless kit musters etc but I guess there were some good times too. I qualified as a junior coxswain and escaped to the cutters and whalers whenever I could. All these years on though I still can't see why as fifteen year old children, and volunteers too, there was any need to treat us so sadisticly. Maybe I'm just getting a bit soft as I grow older! Interestingly I got together over a weekend with some of my old Ganges class mates most of whom had not seen each other in over forty years and everyone of us felt exactly the same way. Jan Steer
Old 03-09-2008, 21:28
Admiral

Here are four more pictures of Ganges that I don't think I have posted before.

Cheers, Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ganges 1.jpg (299.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Ganges 2.jpg (304.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Ganges 3.jpg (385.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Nelson Hall.jpg (181.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-09-2008, 09:17
Rear-Admiral

When I was training at Ganges we were told of one lad who had fallen from the mast, hit the net, bounced and disappeared through the post office roof!
Can any of you old salts shed any light on this? Any truth there or was it just a story told to frighten young lads about to climb the mast? Anyone who had hit that steel mesh would more than likely have gone right through and come out the otherside looking like chips I would have thought!!
Jan Steer
Old 04-09-2008, 10:33
Admiral

I had heard the same story Jan but cannot vouch for the authenticity of it!

Bob.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44
Admiral

This is the sorry state of affairs that the once proud place is now in.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (64.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (52.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (65.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (83.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (74.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (165.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (96.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (96.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (194.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-09-2008, 14:33
Rear-Admiral

Bob I'm unbelievably shocked by the state of the Ganges mast. I understood that it was listed and was to stand as a proud monument to the many thousands of men who gave themselves to the service of this country. At the moment it is a national disgrace!
Jan
Old 05-09-2008, 10:46
Leading Seaman

Jan

This illustrates the lack of any thought for our history and heritage by our political masters and the pc brigade who don't want to admit that our Services have kept them safe for so many hundreds of years as it goes against their pacifist views. A perfect example of how we are thought of is the incident this week when a pongo was refused a bed for the night at a hotel because he was a serviceman. Now if he had been an "ethnic minority" he'd have been able to sue them for thousands. (Sorry for the rant)

I drove through Mercury about eight years ago and was shocked at the state of it - very run down and looking like a ghost town. It was a very sad sight. I had some good times there during many courses and when I finally went back to do my SD C course I was lucky enough to have a cabin in the front of the main house overlooking the ornamental garden - what luxury.

You must remember the Thursday night dances when the Wrens bused up from Soberton Towers - great fun. Also being a Pinkie Runner and legging it down to the Pinkie in Soberton - beer and spirits on pay week and scrumpy on a blank week. Also running the gauntlet of the duty because you hadn't put your station card in.

It changed a lot when the Wrens moved to Mercury and there were dances and discos every night. Mind you it was still better than being in Collingrad - the thought of that brings shivers to my spine!
Old 05-09-2008, 16:13
Commodore

Like the many comments posted about the state of our heritage buildings etc, I agree completely that it is nigh on disgusting, well actually I'll amend that, it is disgusting that they are not treated with the TLC they deserve. That they are not looked after is no fault of the poor MOD Property Manager, a civilian, of the appropriate establishment where they are located. For as long as I can remember, going way back to the days of yesteryear, said officer has always been tasked to make a specific amount of money in his pot cover all the work needs of the buildings on his patch. However for the same period all establishments have had to make 'savings' in their budgets. Regretably the first budget which is looked at to contribute huge savings is the property maintenance budget - can that be left for a bit longer before it really needs to be repaired happens with monotenous regularity. The fall out of this is that 'heritage' work is way down the list as the Property Manager tries his level best to make sure that the 'live' buildings are reasonably habitable, not always with the success that he wishes to achieve. I believe that now the funding for all heritage work is held by a central budget holder in Defence Estates and not by each establishments Property Manager. But like all areas of the public sector they have saving targets to meet! Going round in ever decreasing circles and disappearing up its own chuff piece springs to mind!!
I hope that my little rant, for which I don't apologise for, explains why things aren't being done - in the end it all comes down to HMG.
Mik
Old 05-09-2008, 16:17
Forum Moderator

Well said Mik. In total agreement with all that you said.

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 05-09-2008, 18:52
Rear-Admiral

An interesting point Mik and boldly stated. Of course lack of money is a major problem; it always is. As said department is doing its best to stretch a little a long way I shall watch with interest to see if Belfast is allowed to sink at its moorings or the Victory to just rot away!
regards
Jan
Old 06-09-2008, 13:39
Leading Seaman

You can tell how short of money they are - HMS Victory's refit still hasn't been finished - how long has she been in dry dock??

Incidently Jan. My wife and I think that we know you. She thinks that you were a Kelly Squadron instructor in the late 70's. She was the Wrens training officer - 2nd Officer Mary Mills - and I was an RS in Kelly before I went to Dartmouth in 79.
Old 06-09-2008, 14:49
Commodore

Nice one David!!! And things haven't got any better with HMS V's refit since all that sort of thing got outsourced to the private sector..........!!!
Mik
Old 09-10-2008, 21:38
Admiral

The latest sad picture from the late HMS Ganges.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Latest.jpg (76.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-10-2008, 07:14
Rear-Admiral

Disturbing!!
Jan
Old 10-10-2008, 09:21
Leading Seaman

It would appear that the government would rather spend money on maintaining fat cats' life styles than on our heritage!
Old 10-10-2008, 19:02
Sub-Lieutenant

Location: Be I 'ampshire, be I b*ggery, I come from Essex, but live in Fareham.

QPR Dave & Benbow, that 2 ringer was Lt Ted Briggs. He was an 18 year old signalman on the Hood when she went down. He was one of three survivors. He died last week aged 85.
Old 10-10-2008, 23:26
Leading Seaman

Although I trained at St Vincent, I visited Ganges for the inter establishment sports. My abiding memory of Ganges, was of boys walking around with all their pockets sewn up. Apparantly, if you were caught with your hands in your pockets, you had to sew up the pockets. If you were caught with your shirt pockets undone or buttons missing, you had to sew them up as well. I remember seeing people walking around carrying school satchels, because all their pockets had been sewn up. And I thought Vincent was hard!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:38
Admiral

I applied to be in the Comms. Branch, but couldn't fail my N.A.M.E.T. Even though I tried three times. So I had to be a T.A.S. Ape!!!!!

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 27th January 1933 : HMS Kent : Arrived Hong Kong