World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 18-08-2009, 22:58
Admiral

Default Re: HMS GANGES

It certainly was different Bob. If you see my post I did say that we had "Work Ship Week". There was two lots of work ship weeks during the whole time we were there. We all queued up alongside the walls and windows then through the door and down the stairs, we put our plate out when we got to the servery and the food was plonked on it. We all hoped that we knew one of the Junior servers so we could get a little bit extra. It was hard luck if you were unlucky to be late. Getting to the CMG was a case of marching at Gurkha speed, keeping a look out for any G.Is that were around!!!!!
Old 19-08-2009, 08:26
Rear-Admiral

64/65 was my time and like you Bob we also had a "work ship" period but I think ours may have been two weeks. It's a long time ago so I can't really remember. Happily for me, as a junior cox'n, I was put to work down at the pier. My main job was to sail my cutter out to the moored warships and bring their gash bins ashore then return the empties. Good fun until the weather turned inclement. Still, it did wonders for my confidence and helped make a man of me. Some of the rest of the time I sat in the gloom of the boats store surrounded by the smell of old rope and tar, listening spellbound as the ABs spun dits to each other, all seated around the red-hot, pot-bellied stove that hissed intermittently as well-aimed spittal hit it. It was the warmest I ever got at Ganges!

best wishes
Jan
Old 19-08-2009, 09:12
Vice Commodore

Remember work ship very well 57/58, had a week in the chuff n puffs mess, then a week as training officers messenger, walked around the establishment with mail all day, even got to go outside the main est to the annex.
The job I really fancied was in the pig farm, no not the wardroom.

Derek (Bunts)
Old 19-08-2009, 11:47
Admiral

Derek........must have been plenty of quiet numbers going in 57/58 work ship 'cos I got to be RC Padre's messenger......don't think I ever actually met him (and I was/am CofE anyhow.......Church of Wheelbarrow),but it whetted my appetite for Office work, and eventually, many years later, qualified as GOW,
Old 19-08-2009, 15:04
Leading Seaman

'64, (69 Rec't), Workship on the Main Gate, making Brews for Crushers, GIs and whoever told me to make them one. Main memory was that it was winter, it was pigging freezing, and I had to stand out in it!............and not once was I told, 'Make one for yourself'.
Memory of the CMG...Newly arrived from the Annexe, joined the queue inside the screamer for 'Tea', although at the back of the queue I could hear the Chef, saying, 'if you want anymore just ask', of course nobody did. As I got closer to the servery he was still exhorting us to, 'not be afraid, just ask', on my arrival,foolishly, I said, 'Could I have some more please Sir'. The rant commenced, all delivered at about 90 decibels, 'YOU GREEDY LITTLE BASTARD THERE'S A LOAD OF YOUR MATES BEHIND YOU AND YOUR TRYING TO NICK THEIR F"$*&G GRUB, YOUR THE GUTTSIEST LITTLE TW*T THIS SIDE OF IPSWICH', the remainder of the diatribe seemed to go on for hours, needless to say my Oliver Twist impression never saw the light of day again. I don't think I ever stopped being hungry during my time there.
How to learn Morse fast........This is the method originated by C.Y. Stickings(not my Class instructor), used in Drake 37 mess. Wait until all the JRO's are in their Pyjamas and sat to attention in bed awaiting the arrival of evening rounds. Enter Messdeck carrying a Broom handle, ask boy in first bed what is the Morse Code for the letter Bravo, if he gets it right move on to next boy, if he gets it wrong, get boy out of bed, make him bend over end of bed, and tap out on his backside the morse equivalent of the letter Bravo, repeat a further twice using increasing force on each occasion. Lovely man. Luckily my Instructor, CY Beales, was a decent enough bloke, although a dead shot with a Blackboard duster he never hit the Sadist button.
Old 19-08-2009, 15:13
Admiral

"get boy out of bed, make him bend over end of bed, and tap out on his backside the morse equivalent of the letter Bravo"

Being a Junior UC (Pinger). I am glad that they didn't do the same with us. I would not like to be pinged up the backside by anyone.

But seeing that our two Instructors were R.P.s I think that us T.A.S. rates were pretty lucky.
Old 19-08-2009, 15:31
Commander

Did mine in the Screamers, operating a massive (seemed it at the time) dishwasher thing. Then cleaning tables and sweeping out. Remember the shout, "last two"? Also sneaking the standard issue two back to back slices of stale bread into your Oilskin pocket. Then nip back to your mess and toast them on the iron.
I was also the Divisional Office boy for a while. Had to get up at the crack of Sparrow F*rt, head for the main boiler and collect a shovel full of red hot coals (Although it was actually Coke). Take them back to the office, start the fire, and get the morning brew on before the divisional Instructors and Officers arrived.
Old 19-08-2009, 15:43
Admiral

I wonder what we, as Juniors, would have said to anyone that told us, halfway through our time there, that we would look back at Ganges with such affection.

I for one would have laughed at them. I wouldn't have sworn at them. Learning those words wouldn't come until I arrived on the Unwanted and listen to the A/Bs and Killicks.
Old 19-08-2009, 15:58
Forum moderator

Quote:
I wonder what we, as Juniors, would have said to anyone that told us, halfway through our time there, that we would look back at Ganges with such affection.

Too True! I remember how many of us in our mess cried with being homesick the 1st couple of weeks there, and the odd one may have left.

But, by the time we were passing out in our new No.1's the pride in getting through it all was plain to see.

And now we're all older, we think the youngsters of today should be given a bit of that to buck their ideas up.........probably would too.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 20-08-2009, 06:24
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdave View Post
"get boy out of bed, make him bend over end of bed, and tap out on his backside the morse equivalent of the letter Bravo"

Being a Junior UC (Pinger). I am glad that they didn't do the same with us. I would not like to be pinged up the backside by anyone.

But seeing that our two Instructors were R.P.s I think that us T.A.S. rates were pretty lucky.
You were indeed lucky not to get pinged up the backside if your instructors were RP's !
Old 20-08-2009, 06:26
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbenn View Post
Too True! I remember how many of us in our mess cried with being homesick the 1st couple of weeks there, and the odd one may have left.

But, by the time we were passing out in our new No.1's the pride in getting through it all was plain to see.

And now we're all older, we think the youngsters of today should be given a bit of that to buck their ideas up.........probably would too.

Regards
Alan
Hear Hear Alan I second that
Old 20-08-2009, 07:29
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
Dave, in those days there weren't any working parties unless the mess was work ship week.
The guys in the picture had been sent up to the servery to collect the food for their appropriate tables where there were "x" amount of people. The gadgets in their hands were for carrying the food whether it was for 8 plates or ten I cannot remember.
They collected the food and returned to their tables where they were passed around. The food was scoffed then I presume they cleared up the plates and went to collect the sweets. It's such a long time ago that I have forgotten.
No doubt it was completely different in your time.

Bob.
Bats,
Thats the same routine we had in St Vincent
Rom
Old 20-08-2009, 11:13
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.

I thought you ex-Ganges lads would like to have a look at this site and pass your comments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content..._feature.shtml

Bob.
Old 20-08-2009, 12:10
Admiral

I notice one thing, Bob.

John Noakes was there in 1967 not 1968. because I was on the mast with him. albeit a lot lower down than he was. Had a lot of respect for him. I didn't realise that he didn't make it to the top. I thought that he did do it after a few attempts! He did look a bit strange in a blue suit and longish hair when all us boys were bald around the sides. The Button boy that year was from my class J/S Churcher from Chester-le-Street

Last edited by qprdave : 20-08-2009 at 12:23.
Old 20-08-2009, 12:26
Vice Commodore

Hi Bob. Very sad report, Just maybe rpt maybe, someone will listen.

Derek (Bunts)
Old 20-08-2009, 15:12
Chief Petty Officer

10/11 Classes coaling ship the Ganges way prior to going on draft Agust 52.We wore Black caps for obvious reasons.
Peter Musselwhite.
Alias Benbow30
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCF11082009_00000.jpg (1.37 MB, 31 views)

Last edited by benbow30 : 20-08-2009 at 15:18. Reason: Bad grammer
Old 20-08-2009, 15:24
Chief Petty Officer

Ready for for rounds Sir 30 mess Benbow Division. Chief G.I.Bill Boddy and P.O. windy Blizzard. Pre. C.M.G.Late 51.
Benbow 30
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCF05112008_00000.jpg (1.05 MB, 69 views)
Old 20-08-2009, 17:59
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbow30 View Post
Ready for for rounds Sir 30 mess Benbow Division. Chief G.I.Bill Boddy and P.O. windy Blizzard. Pre. C.M.G.Late 51.
Benbow 30
Nice picture Benbow, both seen action both wearing medal ribbons.

Alan
Old 20-08-2009, 18:50
Leading Seaman

About 35 years after leaving the Mob, I was doing a stint as a Trainer/Assesor
at the BNFL Springfifelds Site just outside Preston, I was having a chat with one of the lads I was training, obviously the Forces was mentioned, he was in the Army, and had joined as a Junior Leader, I told him about my time at Ganges. He said he had the utmost respect for anyone who had undergone training at Ganges as he had been there for a week during his training for an interservice training establishment sporting event. He reckoned it was the toughest week of his Army training as they had to fall in with the routine worked by trainees there. As for the mast he and his oppos shat themselves just looking up at it. After we had stopped cackling the Plant Manager, who had been stood nearby in the control room, said that he was born in Shotley Gate and that his parents had run the Post Office in the Village. He said that in the early '70s he used to earn coppers by taking orders for ciggies, nutty etc from the lads on the sports fields, passing their money through the Fence and he'd get it from his Dad's shop. So if any of you lads out there had a young lad running an errand for you to Shotley P.O., that lad now has a Doctorate in Nuclear Engineering and is a high flyer in the Nuclear Industry. Small world eh !
Old 20-08-2009, 22:36
Forum moderator

Well there yer go, that's why Ganges is best, we even put a young lad on the road to a distinguished career.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 21-08-2009, 11:03
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbenn View Post
Well there yer go, that's why Ganges is best, we even put a young lad on the road to a distinguished career.

Regards
Alan
And Ho Chi Minh, worked in Lyons Corner House part-time, and look where he ended up.

Alan.

PS. Nice story Taff.
Old 21-08-2009, 23:24
Admiral

Scroll down to page 10 on this link and lookee here what we have is a product of Ganges... we is everywhere man!!!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=l...age&q=&f=false

I happened upon it whilst looking for answers to the spent rounds thread

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 22-08-2009, 01:53
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Scroll down to page 10 on this link and lookee here what we have is a product of Ganges... we is everywhere man!!!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=l...age&q=&f=false

I happened upon it whilst looking for answers to the spent rounds thread

Little h
Nice link Harry,

Im off to bed see you tomorrow.

Alan
Old 23-08-2009, 21:30
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.

Okay, Okay Okay when you guys have finished wetting yourselves with laughter who else had the misfortune to be issued with an oval cap on joining the establishment?
Nice bit of skin though!

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap..jpg (201.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 25-08-2009, 02:53
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbow30 View Post
Benbow 30

Benbow 27 mess,1966 ,last one on the left at bottom Long Covered Way

Not much had changed in 16 years , CPO Stoker Perrin (L) and Williamson.

I think this open day Admirals guard in 1967. I am in the right column, the short house in the middle. We used those nice SLR riifles.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 25th January 1940 : HMS Exmoor : Launched