World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 26-03-2010, 14:47
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: HMS St Vincent

Well I was no worse than other 15 year olds, but backward swimmers was a proper b*****d too. So was a weeks No 14's.
Old 20-05-2010, 22:54
Sub-Lieutenant

Default HMS St Vincent Mast

As a new entry at HMS Collingwood in 1955 we all had to climb the mast at HMS St Vincent as well as jump into the swimming pool with overalls on. Can anyone remember this, we hear of the Ganges mast but never St. Vincent.
I well remember the PO doing all the shouting said that no one had ever fallen off the mast because they were so frightened they could never break their grip on the ropes.
Memories please.

Ron
Old 21-05-2010, 09:55
Crossed the Bar

Talking Re: HMS St Vincent mast

Hi Ron.I remember the mast well when St. Vincent was still a going concern.But I am sorry to say that now the site is St.Vincent college,the mast has long gone.Only the main gate,the Skippers house and the old Drill Shed(Being listed) still remain.
I well remember the old swimming test.Two lengths of the pool and then keep your self afloat for three minutes in the deep end,with all the PTI's stood round the edges with long poles to push off anyone who tried to hang on to the sides.Do you also remember how they taught you to make a life jacket out of a pair of #8's trousers? tie knots in the ankles of them,swing them over your head to trap air.Hay Presto,an improvised life supporter.
Many Regards Steve.
Old 21-05-2010, 10:33
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: HMS St Vincent mast

Hello all,

I will add to Steve's post with the fact that as an old St Vincent-er (the Sixth Form College not the HMS) that there are a few other small buildings surviving, which are included within the current sports complex. I can't say what they were originally but they are still there. Also the foot print of one of the the ablutions block is still present (but used as a car park)

The open air swimming pool is now filled in but is still viewable under the grass at the end of the back field leading to Forton Creek. Everytime there was heavy rain it would fill and become a quagmire.

I have some great photographs of the old St Vincent site. I have attached links to a few of them:

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/dbt...&BG=0&FG=0&QS=

Enjoy,

Doc / Ian
Old 21-05-2010, 16:37
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: HMS St Vincent Mast

Thanks for the memories Doc/Ian & Steve, I certainly do remember the No 8's as a lifejacket, I had forgotten all about that particular exercise. And the picture of the mast, I remember facing the building block as we accended, the go over the top, I wonder what the 'elf & safety would think about the dreaded mast now.

Ron
Old 11-09-2010, 22:04
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: HMS St Vincent: Shore Training Establisment

Yes I recall the PTI requesting volunteers to jump in, "don't worry lads just grab hold of this boom which I'll hold in front of you". Until he pulled it away just as we jumped in. You soon learnt to swim.
Old 30-11-2010, 21:14
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: Training Establishments

A late reply to these pics of St Vincent.
Those lads look well fed and fit. Well, my dad was posted there from '53 to '55 as PO (Cook) Bill Townsend, so I assume he was responsible for the three meals a day they needed to keep so active.
I have this photo of the "ships crew" from 1954 - the second snap is a blow-up showing dad and the only other names he recorded ("Raggy" Page, Smithy and Chuck Hagan). Anyone remember any of the others? Quite a mix of smiles and frowns!
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shore station St Vincent 1954.jpg (682.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg st vincent names.jpg (104.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 29-09-2011, 18:47
Ordinary Seaman

Talking Re: RN Shore Training Establisment: HMS Vincent

I was at St Vincent 1961 45 Entry November and was a naughty boy . I believe I received thw largest number of days of jogging with a 303 for a generation. Loved the place although I was only 15yrs and 1 month when I joined from Glasgow. went on to do three Field Gun Crews and a Brickwoods winning three medals remember the swimming pool well and also Ballroom dancing on a Tuesday if I recall when the ladies "came" on board. Wonderful days although there where the usual bullies. Sea training on H.M.S Venus with HAMMOCKS yes and binnoculars for watchkeeping on the bridge. We went to Keil for Keil week which was a similar thing as Cowes week. Bumped into the Brittania in Pompey harbour once and stayed at Aggies a few weekends. Titch Roberts.
Old 29-09-2011, 19:45
Forum Moderator

Default Re: RN Shore Training Establisment: HMS Vincent

Hi Titch, a very warm welcome to World Naval Ships Forums. Welcome aboard. We have a thread HERE about the Field Gun Run which you may find of interest, and we would welcome any additional information or stories of your experiences.

If you haven’t already done so, I strongly recommend you visit our “Welcome” thread HERE, where you will find help and guidance for using the Forum, and some further links to other guidance and tips that may be useful to you.

Should you require any further assistance with any aspects of the Forum, please do not hesitate to contact myself or one of the other Forum Moderators.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 30-09-2011, 07:02
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHowell View Post
As a new entry at HMS Collingwood in 1955 we all had to climb the mast at HMS St Vincent as well as jump into the swimming pool with overalls on. Can anyone remember this, we hear of the Ganges mast but never St. Vincent.
I well remember the PO doing all the shouting said that no one had ever fallen off the mast because they were so frightened they could never break their grip on the ropes.
Memories please.

Ron
Hi Ron - as a new entry at Collingrad in 1959 we had to do the same - I don't think the mast was compulsory but I believe we all did it - then one length of the pool in overalls - take them off in the water and swim another length - swimming test duly passed!!

In hindsight happy days!!

Best regards

T
Old 13-12-2011, 19:12
Commander

Default HMS St. Vincent

Kit MusterName:  37163KitInspectionforWHSanders1951sm[1].jpg
Views: 297
Size:  8.1 KB
Old 13-12-2011, 19:15
Commander

Default Re: HMS ST Vincent

Sunday Divisions E257_1st_Sunday_of_Summer_Term[1].jpg
Old 11-06-2012, 19:56
Admiral

Default Re: RN Shore Training Establisment: HMS Vincent

Evening Scouse does this bring back any memories
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St Vincent.jpg (901.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg boat crew.jpg (1.22 MB, 47 views)
Old 14-06-2012, 08:21
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuchter View Post
Hi Ron - as a new entry at Collingrad in 1959 we had to do the same - I don't think the mast was compulsory but I believe we all did it - then one length of the pool in overalls - take them off in the water and swim another length - swimming test duly passed!!

In hindsight happy days!!
Yep same routine in 1960. Joined at Collingrad day, spent in St Vincent climbing the mast, I chickened out, got up to the 'sticky out' bit (Greenie talk for the devils elbow)and surrendered then for a swim fully clothed seemed a novel idea at the .
Fred
Old 01-11-2013, 21:24
Recruit

Default Re: Training Establishments

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor148 View Post
Our class at St Vincent 1968, thats me right of PO Kerr seated on the class photo & left standing on the other!

Bill
In #23 I'M standing to the left of Po Kerr second row after these years can only remember some of the things that happened to us all at St Vincent but they where all good we went from there to Hms Raleigh we where 15 or 16 at the time. Im now 61years of age just retired drove lorries and coaches for a living but I will always thank my lucky stars that when I was so young I had the pleasure of meeting some fine shipmates.
Old 21-11-2013, 11:29
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: RN Shore Training Establishment: HMS St Vincent

I see from Warlow’s book that the original St Vincent training establishment was a sailing ship used 1862-1906.
The St Vincent establishment in Gosport that we all know opened in 1927.
But what was the situation between 1906 and 1927? I don’t find Warlow at all helpful on that.
Old 22-02-2014, 09:34
Leading Seaman

Default HMS St Vincent

Hi ,

My late father was in the Royal Navy starting at HMW St Vincent in 1953, when he left the navy he went on to work at ROF Burghfield.

I am currently writing a book on his career, the book looks at the history of atomic weapons and mingles into his navy career and record.

I am at the stage where is has joined St Vincent as a 15 year old boy, I would like to find some information regarding what the first few weeks at St Vincent would of been like. Any Boy seaman from that time care to share your memories ?

One question that I cant seem to find the answer to is:

When he joined he appeared to be in Grenville (found photo) but later photos show him as being in Hawke division...

What was the process for this ?

On a side note, whilst doing my research, I found many unseen by us photos of him online, One of these photos by pure chance I recently found the original for sell on ebay !! what are the chances of that ??

Gives me hope, that I will find all the information I need online (hopefully here) to make the book 100% factual instead of me having to assume certain aspects!

Thanks for reading...
Old 23-02-2014, 09:14
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke73 View Post
Hi ,

My late father was in the Royal Navy starting at HMW St Vincent in 1953, when he left the navy he went on to work at ROF Burghfield.

I am currently writing a book on his career, the book looks at the history of atomic weapons and mingles into his navy career and record.

I am at the stage where is has joined St Vincent as a 15 year old boy, I would like to find some information regarding what the first few weeks at St Vincent would of been like. Any Boy seaman from that time care to share your memories ?

One question that I cant seem to find the answer to is:

When he joined he appeared to be in Grenville (found photo) but later photos show him as being in Hawke division...

What was the process for this ?

On a side note, whilst doing my research, I found many unseen by us photos of him online, One of these photos by pure chance I recently found the original for sell on ebay !! what are the chances of that ??

Gives me hope, that I will find all the information I need online (hopefully here) to make the book 100% factual instead of me having to assume certain aspects!

Thanks for reading...
In 1951 the New Entries Division was comprised of Benbow, Grenville, Hood and one other class whose name I can't remember. After the initial 4 weeks or so the boys were designated to join an Advance Class or General Class dependent upon their educational ability and transferred to a class in one of the main course divisions which were Blake, Duncan, Anson and Hawke.
Old 23-02-2014, 14:19
Leading Seaman

Thank you !

Im sure I may have more questions !!
Old 27-02-2014, 22:13
Leading Seaman

Passing out photo inc my father.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36793_Hawke_73_PassingOutPhotoMarch1955_952x665.jpg (144.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-03-2014, 13:55
Leading Seaman

Some great articles of interest for those who are researching (like myself) and bring back some memories for those who where there.

http://www.godfreydykes.info/MY_GANG...S_MUSTER_r.htm

http://sailor1953.blogspot.co.uk/201...0-1953-to.html
Old 30-03-2014, 16:11
Leading Seaman

Would anyone be able to advise, I have some date issues on my fathers record when compared to some photos I have found.

His records says he left August 1954

But I have found two photos, one is a group photo of Hawke 73 and this is dated September 1954.

Also the passing out photo is dated March 1955

His records shows him as being at Victory,HMS Whitesand Bay and HMS Loch Killisport in between Aug54 - March 55.

I know Killisport sailed early in March and his record does show a separate record for that.

Is this just a case of staying on these boats (shore) whilst actually still officially being a St Vincent student ? Was that the way it worked towards the end of the training?
Old 08-10-2015, 17:29
Ordinary Seaman

Hello Everyone! This is my first post in the forum, but I wanted to share an image of a document I found for a client's ancestor. The ancestor is William Burden Stevenson who began has training on the St. Vincent in 1860.

1860 WBS RN Entry St Vincent.jpg

WB Stevenson's father was John/Jock Stevenson who was born 1815 in Scotland and married Ellen Burden. John was an officer in the Irish Coastguard and retired sometime around 1860. He was given a land patent and chose to go to Canada with his wife and remaining children at home. They settled near Ardoch, and their home was on Lake Malcolm in Ontario.

I'm still searching for more information on John Stevenson, and have quite a lot on his children. This includes a connection to the actress Jane Russell whose grandmother was Ellen Stevenson who married Ernest Reinhold Jacobi.
Old 08-10-2015, 18:33
Forum Moderator

Hello webducky and a warm welcome to the Forums. I presume the page is from this record. I think the St Vincent that he served on will be this one, rather than the Shore Training Establishment covered by this thread.

Jim
Old 09-10-2015, 17:52
Vice-Admiral

Here is a photograph of the ship St. Vincent which became a training ship at Portsmouth in 1862:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum...&postcount=107

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 31st January 1916 : HMS Collingwood : Took part in the Battle of Jutland