World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > All Other Naval Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Other Naval Ships Topics relating to a specific ship or ships from any country not mentioned above

Old 04-02-2008, 22:13
Admiral

Default The Georgios Averoff

Georgios Averoff is the world's only surviving heavily armored cruiser of the early 20th century. During the Balkan Wars in 1912 and 1913, she was the Hellenic Navy fleet flagship during the campaigns in the North and Central Aegean islands, as well as the coastal cities of East Macedonia and Thrace.

Greece remained neutral during most of World War I. The Eleutherios Venizelos government in 1917 decided to participate on the Allies' side. At the end of the first World War in November 1918 she sailed to Constantinople and raised the Greek flag as one of the winning powers of the Great War. After, the signing of the peace treaties, Georgios Averoff with the rest of the fleet moved the Greek troops to Asia Minor.

She served on the Allied side during World War II, having fled to Egypt with the rest of the fleet. She led the Greek naval force when the fleet dropped anchor in the Faliron Bay, Athens on October 17, 1944, at the end of the Nazi occupation.

Georgios Averoff's last voyage was to Rhodes in May 1945, to commemorate the accession of the Dodecanese from Italy. She was towed to her permanent berth in Faliron Bay in 1985, where is now open as a museum.

I took the attached photos of the Averoff a few years ago whilst on holiday in Greece. Now for a bit of fun, in the first two pics, can anybody identify the objects in the water just off the ships bow? Send your ideas in a private message and I'll reveal the answer on Mon 11th Feb.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img025.jpg (360.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg img026.jpg (356.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg img027.jpg (461.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg img028.jpg (459.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg img029.jpg (502.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-02-2008, 23:26
Forum Moderator

Default Re: The Georgios Averoff

GREECE-GEORGIS AVEROF-1911-1952....jpgSorry John I haven`t got a clue unless its a large mooring point or even a floating rubbish bin! To make up for my ignorance the least i can do is post a shot of this fine old ship in her prime rather than as a floating museum...

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 04-02-2008, 23:29
herakles

I have no idea what it is!

The Venizelos government wanted to join the war much earlier than that. He wanted to send Greek troops to Gallipoli. But the King wouldn't allow it. His wife was German and she objected strongly. The King was not a titular head in Greece. Venizelos resigned in disgust.

He was a great prime minister. The new Greek airport is named in his honour.
Old 05-02-2008, 00:23
Vice Commodore

That object in the water is the funnel of a sunken ship. It extends to that smaller protrusion to the right.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:06
Forum Moderator

Is that a guess or a fact Ian?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:22
Admiral

Great picture Terry.

She looks even more handsome in black and white than in my colour pics.

Just to clarify though....my quiz question is about the small objects in the water near the bow. Not the big black and white thing sitting on top of a concrete block nearer the stern.

John

Last edited by John Brown : 05-02-2008 at 10:29. Reason: spelling correction and more info
Old 05-02-2008, 10:51
Forum Moderator

Ooops Sorry John! In which case I will have to plead ignorance and wait and see what transpires...

Old 05-02-2008, 11:39
Vice Commodore

It's two men swimming with a horse John
Old 05-02-2008, 12:32
Admiral

Give that man a cigar!!

I had hoped for the question to run for a week so lots would get a chance to have a go but you are too impatient. Yes, sailor is correct, it's two men swimming with a horse. I was taking photos of the ship when I noticed the objects in my viewfinder. I have no idea where they entered the water but they eventually came out right where I was standing. The men spoke no English so I don't really know why they had the horse in the water. I am guessing that perhaps the horse had a bad leg and they were exercising it without putting too much strain on it.

John
Old 05-02-2008, 12:43
herakles

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
Send your ideas in a private message and I'll reveal the answer on Mon 11th Feb.
John

?????????????????????????
Old 05-02-2008, 13:06
Admiral

Herakles.

That's what I was refering too in my last post about hoping it would last a week.

I guess some members are just really enthusiastic :-)

John
Old 05-02-2008, 18:06
herakles

So John, now's the time to start another competition This time put the instructions in bold text!!
Old 09-06-2014, 20:32
Chief Petty Officer

In early 1943 the Greek Chief of the Navy was asked by the Greek P.M. whether the AVEROFF would be spared to be used in an operation from which she would not return. The reply was positive and it was proposed that the ship should be disposed either in Greece or the Dodecanesse. The P.M. replied that they should prepare the ship on the directions of the British Fleet Commander. No further information had been received on the location where the ship would go. It was learned three months later that the operation had been cancelled, probably due to the collapse of Italy.

Has anyone any more knowledge on the nature of this operation?
Old 10-06-2014, 04:32
Admiral

The fact that she would not return may mean that she was to be used as a blockship or, perhaps, that she was to be run ashore and employed as an anti-aircraft battery.

The collapse of Italy occurred in September, 1943. Early 1943 seems more appropriate for the Sicily landings as the collapse of Italy occurred in September, 1943; but if the information about the Dodecanese is correct then it could relate to an attempt on Rodos. Churchill was obsessed with this area and planning (OPERATION ACCOLADE) for the capture of Rodos and Karpathos commenced in January, 1943.

Did these discussions take place in Alexandria?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:50
Chief Petty Officer

The Greek Admiral made the same assumption, mentioning that he imagined an operation like Zeebrugge. However no further information was disclosed to him.
There were talks about possible landings in the Dodecanesse but as we know they were shelved.
Old 29-06-2014, 08:25
Vice Commodore

There is a book just published entitled "R.H.N.S.AVEROF - Thunder in the Aegean" by John Carr. It is from Pen & Sword Books. It tells the life history of this ship. I have just received my copy but not read it yet.

Steve

Last edited by hood51 : 29-06-2014 at 08:25. Reason: Spelling
Old 29-07-2017, 22:10
Admiral

A short video of Averof returning from her recent refit:

(From navaltoday.com)

Watch the Hellenic Navy’s century-old battle cruiser return from three-month refit

"Hellenic Navy’s 107-year-old battle cruiser Georgios Averof concluded a three-month refit returning to its homeport in Athens where it serves as a museum ship.

The battle cruiser returned to Athens on Thursday where it was welcomed by a naval band and a helicopter while other ships sounded their horns.

Georgios Averof was refurbished in a shipyard in Skaramangas with maintenance funds covered by sponsorships.

The battle cruiser was named after Georgios Averof, a Greek businessman who paid for 1/3 of the ship’s cost, while the other 2/3 was paid by the Treasure of the National Fleet and sponsorships by Greeks from all over the world.

According to Hellenic Navy, the cruiser is the only “alive” ship that participated actively in both World Wars, concluding her mission in 1945 during the celebrations for the integration of the Dodecanese with Greece."

Video here:

http://navaltoday.com/2017/07/27/wat...e-month-refit/

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 9th January 1934 : HMS Ambuscade : Arrived Portland