World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > New Members > Service Records / Naval Relatives and Friends
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Service Records / Naval Relatives and Friends For service records, and information about your naval relatives, friends and colleagues

Old 13-05-2017, 11:07
Petty Officer

Default Service Record: Walter Dent RM 1893 - 1898

Dear all,

I am researching a member of the Royal Marine Light Infantry and attach his service sheet circa 1898.

I need some help in interpreting what the right hand column means . Could someone please explain what is going on ? He deserted twice WT ? Prison why is all this repeated further down .... help ! I have no idea what is going on.

One other thing would wounds and hurts also include diseases like Malaria ? If so, as I is not there, can I safely presume he did not catch malaria or the like ?

Many thanks

Andre
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Walter Dent Service Record.pdf (194.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 15-05-2017, 09:02
Captain

Default Re: Service Record: Walter Dent RM 1893 - 1898

Hi Andre
Your man Ran from HMS Victory on 19 or 20 November 1898.
The last column lists the things he forfeited as a result of this and earlier infringements. These include:
[a] 14 days lost and not counting towards his engagement.
[b] Time not counted towards Good Conduct Badges.
C = Cells

P = Prison

Second Class
Men were normally classified as First Class for Conduct. They could be reduced to Second Class for Conduct for “misbehaviour” with consequent loss of pension, privileges etc.

By desertion
He lost 5 years 208 days towards pension etc [which seems to be his total service to that date] merely by the act of deserting.

In desertion
He then lost a further 14 days while he was AWOL.

WT = Waiting Trial

Prison

[c] Time not counted towards his pension. This is the same as [b] above apart from the “Second Class” entry.

According to the Wounds etc section, he was involved in the bombardment of the Sultan’s Palace in Zanzibar during the Anglo-Zanzibar War in 1896. This was part of what is, I believe, regarded as the shortest war in history – it lasted 38 minutes!
Not sure about the malaria question.

Trevor
Old 16-05-2017, 11:31
Petty Officer

Default Re: Service Record: Walter Dent RM 1893 - 1898

Many thanks for this Trevor.

I actually wanted a reason to study inter alia the shortest war in history and when Walter's medal (East and West Africa Medal with Benin 1897 clasp) and service history (indicating participation in the Anglo-Zanzibar war) came up for sale, I jumped at the chance.

The medal is rather battered and both conflicts have been a fascinating study. I am just finishing the research off as best I can now. The internet says 38 mins for the Anglo-Zanzibar war, Rawson ordered a cease fire after 37mins but two ships only ceased fire after 45mins according to their logs.

Finally, with regard to a PM I received from another member, will you all please accept my apologies if I have used the wrong forum for my question given that my man was a Royal Marine Light Infantryman - I thought they came under the remit of the Navy and given that I was a member here, I thought this would be an ideal place to ask ! Sorry if it wasn't !

Andre

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 16th January 2009 : HMS Daring : Arrived Plymouth