World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > All Other Naval Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Other Naval Ships Topics relating to a specific ship or ships from any country not mentioned above

Old 18-07-2009, 16:36
Rear-Admiral

Default Dutch Cruisers: WWII and Postwar

Some pics I picked up of Dutch cruisers in a recent collection I bought. The De Zeven Provincien Class pair looked so impressive I was prompted to look them out on the Web. I think mine have a quaint dated quality, but the last one - just an example - from the Marine Museum Den Helder shows the postwar De Ruyter's imposing final appearance.

You can see more of those on Wiki Commons here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...class_cruisers

Some edited notes off other sites:

Built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Maatschappij (RDM) and Wilton-Fijenoord, De Zeven ProvinciŽn HNLMS De Zeven Provincien displaced 12,250 tones, and was classified as a light cruiser.

Construction started in 1939, and the German occupiers worked on her during WW11, but she remained unfinished, and was not commissioned until 1953, by which time many modifications had been made.

Her name refers to the seven provinces which formed the Dutch Republic in 1581, and follows earlier ships of the name.

Her original armament was eight 152 mm guns, eight 57 mm AA and eight 40 mm AA. The rear tower was replaced in 1962 with a RIM-2 Terrier SAM system. She was 185.7 m long, had a maximum speed 32.2 kts, and carried a complement of 957.

De Ruyter and De Zeven Provincien swapped names for some reason n 1950, and the notes I'm reading are a little confusing about which one is being referred to, but one of the pair was sold to Peru in August 1976 and renamed BAP Aguirre (CH-84).

WW11 era cruisers

Spruso (Bruce) posted several very fine images of Java in Sydney in the 1930s at Post #58 of the 'World Warships and Sydney's Bridge' thread, and Kevin Denlay posted a pic of HNLMS Tromp at Post #38 on that thread aLso, here:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum...ead.php?t=3333
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE RUYTER Holland. fit-out, 1953..JPG (114.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DE RUYTER,Holland fit out, 1953..JPG (110.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DE ZEVEN PROVINCIEN Holland 1957.JPG (131.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DE ZEVEN PROVINCIEN,Holland 1957..JPG (138.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Holland's DE ZEVEN PROVINCIEN.JPG (126.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg JAVA. WW11 Dutch cruiser. 1941..JPG (92.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DE RUYTER, Holland. WW11..JPG (81.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg De_Ruyter_C801_1953.jpg (164.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 19-07-2009, 10:52
Petty Officer

Default Re: DUTCH CRUISERS: WW11 and Postwar

Nice pictures.

If my memory is correct the De Ruyter visited Swansea in I think the early 70's. Again my memories are a little hazy but I think she was called Admiral De Ruyter.

She may not have been the same but was certainly a large Dutch cruiser.

She was one of the largest vessels to visit the port and only just fitted in the lock.

If it is the same ship she was ex. USN and all the markings were in English.

George.
Old 14-12-2017, 17:05
Admiral

Default Re: Dutch Cruisers: WWII and Postwar

Ex-Dutch cruiser HNLMS De Ruyter (C801) (since 1973 the Peruvian navy's Almirante Grau) finally decommissioned on September 26th, 2017, after 64 years of service to two navies. The world's last "big gun" cruiser

(From navaltoday.com)

Peruvian Navy decommissions ‘Almirante Grau’, picks frigate ‘Montero’ as new flagship.

"The Peruvian Navy decommissioned its long-time flagship B.A.P. Almirante Grau after 45 years of service during a ceremony on September 26.

B.A.P. Almirante Grau was replaced as fleet flagship by B.A.P. Montero, a Carvajal-class frigate built by Servicio Industrial de la Marina (SIMA) and commissioned into the navy in 1984.

On the occasion, B.A.P. Montero was renamed to B.A.P. Almirante Grau as flagships of the Peruvian Navy bear the name of famous Peruvian Admiral Miguel Grau Seminario.

During the ceremony, the Peruvian Navy flag was lowered for the last time from the previous B.A.P. Almirante Grau, a former Dutch Navy De Zeven ProvinciŽn-class cruiser bought by Peru in 1973. Before starting service in the Peruvian Navy, B.A.P. Almirante Grau was known as HNLMS De Ruyter (C801) and was commissioned into the Dutch Navy in 1953.

The former B.A.P. Almirante Grau was also the world’s last gun cruiser in active service.
"

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 16th January 1957 : HMS Gambia : Sailed the Clyde for N.A.T.O. Exercise