World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > All Other Naval Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Other Naval Ships Topics relating to a specific ship or ships from any country not mentioned above

Old 02-09-2017, 06:58
Admiral

Default His Majesty's Indian Ship Akbar

Many of the ratings who participated in the Indian Naval Mutiny of 1946 were stationed aboard the Indian Navy's basic training ship HMIS Akbar.

I am trying to determine the history of that ship which, judging by the photo below, was probably an ex-RN cruiser.

The funnel arrangement is similar to that of the early 1900s RN "Town" class, but their histories do not reflect any of them serving in the RIN.

Can anyone help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMIS Akbar.jpg (16.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Scatari : 02-09-2017 at 08:38.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:09
Admiral

Default Re: His Majesty's Indian Ship Akbar

As the histories of all of the RN's 4-funnel WW1-era cruisers show either a sinking or being sold for scrap (as do those of the RAN's), I can only guess that this was one purchased after being sold, and towed to India for use as an immobile alongside training ship (I've seen mention of her being used as an initial training school, and also as a cook's school).
Old 03-09-2017, 04:15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
As the histories of all of the RN's 4-funnel WW1-era cruisers show either a sinking or being sold for scrap (as do those of the RAN's), I can only guess that this was one purchased after being sold, and towed to India for use as an immobile alongside training ship (I've seen mention of her being used as an initial training school, and also as a cook's school).
Thanks Jon - your conclusion is pretty much the same as mine, as I couldn't find any of the four funneled cruisers ending up in India.

Just piques my curiosity even more!
Old 03-09-2017, 04:31
Admiral

Looking further, it appears that HMIS Akbar was His Majesty's Indian Station Akbar...an ashore training establishment, not an actual ship - so that photo might have nothing to do with the Indian Navy at all.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/...RIN/RIN-8.html
Quote:
Until mid-1940 the hulk H.M.I.S. Dalhousie was the Boys Training Establishment. When this establishment was moved to Karachi, the hulk was utilised for the training of special service ratings. With the expansion of the service arid recruitment, Dalhousie was found to be much too small. Ultimately the intake by recruitment had to be curbed for lack of accommodation in the training schools, and this too at a time when the service urgently required men. As Castle Barracks were completed, the training of special service ratings was moved there, but this afforded only momentary relief as space there also was extremely limited.3 This necessitated a further transfer of the establishment to H.M.I.S. Khanjar, an area of requisitioned buildings at Versova, some 18 miles from Bombay. The Khanjar was admittedly a temporary expedient, pending the construction of a larger and more permanent establishment at Kolshet (H.M.I.S. Akbar).
Quote:
H.M.I.S. Akbar was commissioned on a tented basis in January 1944. All new entry training for seamen, cooks, writers etc. was undertaken there. New entry divisional courses for schoolmasters, artificers, stokers, writers and sick berth attendants etc. were also carried out.
The same source indicates that the only actual vessels at HMIS Akbar were smaller ones... sloops etc:
Quote:
From the middle of 1944 till the end of hostilities, there were no major alterations at H.M.I.S. Akbar. Considerable improvement was, however, made in the matter of sea training with the formation, in mid-1944, of the Bombay Training Flotilla consisting of H.M.I. ships Cornwallis, Clive, Dipavati, Hira, Lai, and Milam. In June 1945, H.M.I.S. Gondwana joined the flotilla primarily as an anti-submarine training ship, but was utilised for the sea training of recruits from H.M.I.S. Akbar when anti-submarine training was not possible during the monsoon. H.MA.S. Cornwallis was paid off in July 1945 and in November of that year H.M.I.S. Lawrence joined the flotilla.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:40
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post

Looking further, it appears that HMIS Akbar was His Majesty's Indian Station Akbar...an ashore training establishment, not an actual ship - so that photo might have nothing to do with the Indian Navy at all.
It would appear that you have solved the mystery Jon!

Well done and many thanks.
Old 24-10-2017, 04:01
Chief Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatari View Post
Many of the ratings who participated in the Indian Naval Mutiny of 1946 were stationed aboard the Indian Navy's basic training ship HMIS Akbar.

I am trying to determine the history of that ship which, judging by the photo below, was probably an ex-RN cruiser.

The funnel arrangement is similar to that of the early 1900s RN "Town" class, but their histories do not reflect any of them serving in the RIN.

Can anyone help?
Now, that photo is familiar but at the moment I'm not sure. Chatham Class, HMAS Melbourne is the name that pops into my mind but I don't know why. I'll see if I can confirm.

Last edited by Spoz : 24-10-2017 at 05:31.
Old 24-10-2017, 07:45
Chief Petty Officer

Actually, HMAS Sydney at Martinique in 1915. See the plate opposite page 231 in A.W. Jose, Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-18, Vol IX, the RAN
Old 24-10-2017, 17:03
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
Actually, HMAS Sydney at Martinique in 1915. See the plate opposite page 231 in A.W. Jose, Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-18, Vol IX, the RAN
Don't have access to that particular publication, but I'll take your word for it!

Many thanks.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 13th January 1959 : HMS Albion : Arrived Sydney