World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > CGI and 3D Ship Modelling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CGI and 3D Ship Modelling Computer based modelling of ships - please respect our server load and be sparing with images in this section - Thanks!

Old 31-05-2010, 09:42
Able Seaman

Default 3D Stealth Warship

Hi folks, as you can see I just registered here, 2 days ago I think, been awaiting activation, but I don't mind.
Anyway my main interests are 3d modeling and I have an interests in real boats as well.
About the 3d modeling, I was about the make this super yacht, with stealth capability, but though to myself, why not make a warship. So since I was already making a stealth yacht, it was easily adopted to a warship, kinda looking a bit like hdms absalon. But here's the thing, I have very little knowledge of warships in general, and that's why I need to know if this might be the forum where I can ask some questions about this.(deck layout, weapons and radar masts and all that)
Anyway I'll show you some screen shots of how it looks atm, I know of all the modeling errors, but I can't be sure about possibly layout errors, please point them out. And to my understanding since the vessel has no 90 degree edges or walls, this should make radar waves and such not see it?
Also had a try at making two cannons, I think the shape of them is awesome, but are the any realistic?
not sure how to make the pics smaller, sorry about that.

Pictures removed. Featured later. See post #11.
Old 31-05-2010, 10:01
Crossed the Bar

Default Re: Hello [56k warning might be appropriate]

Minime

Welcome to the forum. Impressive looking models!

Mel
Old 31-05-2010, 19:27
Able Seaman

thank you very much, I'll make a seperate topic in the modeling section, hope that also counts for 3d.
Old 31-05-2010, 22:48
Able Seaman

ah, thanks for that.
btw meant to post this screen shot above

so what weapons do you think a ship like that should have?

Pictures removed - featured later. See post #11
Old 02-06-2010, 01:36
Able Seaman

ah k, made a HD render earlier today, took like half an hour to render, just to find out that I forgot to move the cannons upwards, when I moved the ship to lay better in the water, so that kinda turned out weird. But it could only be saved as an .tga, so I can't show it to you all.
So now that we got the forum technical stuff behind us, is there anyone out there who could write down what radars, weapons and stuff a new warship would have?
and here's a render I made just now, just to test how the attachments work on these kind of forums(I'm used to SMF)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg render 2.jpg (27.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 10:55
Able Seaman

Default Re: 3D Stealth Warship

I would edit my first posts, but I can't seem to be able to edit them. But I'm guessing it's possible for a mod to, so if someone could, just delete the image , and add a note that the pics are further down the forum, that would be great.
Btw since the pics above are quite bad, I replaced them with better, rendered ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg render 3.jpg (23.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg render 4.jpg (27.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg render 5.jpg (30.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg render 6.jpg (18.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg render 7.jpg (20.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 14:04
Forum Moderator

Hi Minime,

All sorted. Everything fine now.

Your model coming on well. Look forward to seeing more as it advances.

Cheers

PS: Have removed all the posts regarding uploading of images as you seem to have it well sorted now.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Last edited by Dreadnought : 02-06-2010 at 14:07. Reason: Added PS regarding images.
Old 02-06-2010, 14:13
Able Seaman

Thanks, development might be a little slow, just got my driving license, I'll be spending most of my time on the road, but expect something though later.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32
Able Seaman

got a little update, I just found the time to make some walls double sided and made the top of the bridge look better.Also made a better looking wave breaker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg render 8.jpg (28.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg render 9.jpg (32.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg render 10.jpg (32.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-06-2010, 07:38
Forum Moderator

Hi minime,

Looking good. I am quite interested in at getting into 3D modelling. I am a competent Photoshop user - see drawing examples here:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75826&d=1271454085
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum...2&d=1273505446

I have looked at the 3DS Max9 software from Pirate Bay but don't know whether this is good to start with or not. I am familiar with Rhino. Any guidance as to starting off would be welcome.

Cheers

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 03-06-2010, 12:43
Able Seaman

hi, I see your very good at photoshop, so that will help a lot with texturing. As for 3ds Max, this is of coarse a good software. I use blender and I must say I like blender better than 3ds Max. 3ds Max has some features that blender probably doesn't have, but I'd say blender has all that you need. Blenders interface is also quite interesting, takes some getting used to, but I love it.
When I first tried blender, I gave up after half an hour, and returned back to google sketch up. After that I tried Gmax, an lite version of 3ds max, very restricted and no updates, but I got quite good at it. Then a dear friend of mine, I met on the internet talked me into trying blender again. The best thing that happened to me in my 3d career, I am starting to get good results and this might be the right way to go for you, but it is always good to try different programs.
Edit:
Added two links to two albums with my blender work, the pics are on a external HDD, so this is the only option right now.
http://tinypic.com/a/1eo9v/1
http://tinypic.com/a/1em41/1

Last edited by Minime : 03-06-2010 at 13:31.
Old 18-06-2010, 23:30
Able Seaman

might seem the project has stopped, but fear not. I've been busy with other stuff, so I nearly haven't touched 3d the past few weeks, hopefully progress will start again.
Old 16-09-2010, 08:05
Sub-Lieutenant

a solid start, better than what i can manage, honestly if i put my model sub on here i'd be laughed of the forum.

Keep up the good work

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 17th January 1937 : HMS Arethusa : Flagship of Rear-Admiral G.H. D'Oyly Lyon