World Naval Ships Forums  

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Medals > Medals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 13:31
davidrn's Avatar
davidrn davidrn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pembroke
Posts: 1,402
Default A Crimea & Mutiny pair to HMS London and HMS Pearl

GORNELL, Charles. Able seaman.
Crimea clasp Sebastopol – Ord. (Officially Impressed served on HMS London).
Indian Mutiny – Able Seaman, HMS Pearl

Charles Gornell, was born in Whitechapel, London, on the 8th November 1832
He seems to have joined the Navy as a Boy 1st class on 8th October 1851.
Charles never signed on for contracted service, so his commissions have been traced from the Pearl’s Ships book ADM 38 /8672
His book entry has the trade that he was brought up to as the “Sea”
His Register Ticket records that he first went to sea in 1850.
He is shown on Pearl’s book as being single but his Mutiny medal is recorded as being sent to his widow (an L. (Lucy?) Gornell), on the 18th February 1861.

This is a pair of medals that I never expected to find, as both are sought after as single items but to have a Pair is not something that comes up. Am I pleased with them, "I am over the Moon" and then some more.


His sea service was:-
HMS Janus - 8th October 1851 to 17th July 1852.
HMS Firebrand – 18th July 1852 to 4th December 1852.
HMS London – 5th December 1852 to 20th January 1856.
HMS Pearl – 27th January 1856 to 16th June 1859.

HMS Janus - 8th October 1851 to 17th July 1852.

8th October – Joined HMS Janus, a 2-gun wooden paddle sloop of 1844, commanded by Commander Richard Ashmore Powell, based at Gibraltar
17th October – The Janus left Gibraltar.
25th October - The Peninsular mail ship Montrose left Gibraltar, when she arrived back at Southampton, she reported that the Janus had been sent in search of a English? brig, that had been taken by a large number of piratical Moors on the Rif coast (the crew of which had escaped in their boats). The Janus in her search for the vessel, was attacked by a large number of Moors, when Lieutenant Powell (the Janus Commander), was twice wounded and the Masters assistant and eight of the crew were also wounded, one of which had since died,
3rd November – The British steamer Phoebe have run aground of the breakwater under the Orange Bastion at Gibraltar, the Janus aided in getting her off.
11th November – The British press reported that Lieutenant Powell had been promoted to Commander.
The British Press reported the incident as:- “News of the capture by piratical Moors of the Schooner “Emilia” reached Gibraltar on the 16th October and the Janus was despatched on the 17th.
She arrived on the coast of the Riff on the 18th and found the Joven Emilia high on the beach, a total wreck and stripped. As some of the Riffian’s boats were about the wreck, the Janus sent a few shells among them and the next morning manned her boats and proceeded to the wreck. The Riffiams, observing their movements, set fire to it. The Janus’s boats thereupon commenced firing upon them with shot and shell and having after two hours firing, completely destroyed their boats, rejoined the steamer, which again put to sea.
On the morning of the 19th, having steamed20 miles westward of Cape das Forcos?, she perceived the ribs of another vessel on the beach and as she approached the Bedouins began to fire upon her. The Janis’s boats were immediately manned and armed and the crew being landed, they endovered to destroy the Bedouin’s boats; their greater number enabling them to keep up an overpowering fire, our people were compelled to re-embark and retreat to the Janus, which during the whole of the contest had been firing shot and shell, a circumstance which warrants the conclusion that , the enemy must have sustained a very heavy loss”.
The Casualties on board the Janus’s boats were given as:-
Commander Powell, shot through both thighs, not dangerously.
Mr Paynter, shot through both thighs, slightly.
John Ford, boatswains mate, leg shattered. dangerously.
J. Reading, seaman, leg shattered. dangerously.
James Frost. Seaman, shot throughy the body, dangerously.
J M’Lean, marine, shot through the hip slightly.
James Connoly, boy, shot in the arm, dangerously.
B, Mason, boy, slight wound in that head.
The Janus proceeded to Tangier on the 21st to inform our Consul.

24th November – The Janus left Gibraltar for Tangiers, to arrange with the British Consul about the ransom of the British prisoners detained by the Moors, two of the five are said to have died.
27th November – The Janus arrived at Tangiers from Sallee, having on board Mr Elton, the British Vice-Consular agent at Rabat and reporting that the French squadron under Rear-Admiral Dubonrdieu, had made its appearance off Sallee on the 26th.
5th December – The Janus arrived back at Gibraltar from Tangiers. She was still reported there on the 16th.

31st January – Report that the Janus not having been able to get over the bar at Sallee, the week before, had returned again to the Morocco coast and was daily expected at Gibraltar.
17th February – The ship was reported to be at Gibraltar.
24th February – The Dutch galliot “Vier Gebroeders Veenhoven” from Cardiff, bound for Galatz, was aground off Punta Mala and the Janus having gone to her assistance, she found to be waterlogged and was discharging her cargo of Iron. The Janus had towed into Gibraltar Bay the Prussian brig Argo from Cardiff, bound for Barcelona. She had been in contact in the Straits with the British brig Wonder, of and from Sunderland. Both vessels had lost their bowsprits and the Argo had also lost her foremast.
16th March – The Janus was at Gibraltar. The ship is to be relieved by the Antelope but in heavy fog, she ran aground in the Channel.
6th April – The ship was still reported to be at Gibraltar but was son expected to return to England.
14th April – The Janus and Spiteful on the arrival of the Antelope, sailed for the coast of Morocco.
24th April – Reported that the Janus and the Antelope, with a party of men from the Vengeance, were busily employed at Cape Spartel, saving the Government stores washed ashore from the wreck of the Calpe.
4th May – The ship was reported to be back at Gibraltar.
15th May – The Janus left Gibraltar for Tangier. On the 30th she was reported back at Gibraltar.
3rd June – The ship left Gibraltar with mails and despatches for Port Mahan, to join the Admiral. She was back by the 14th. She is soon to return to Woolwich to be paid off but first her boilers need to be repaired.
16th July – The steamers Firebrand, Growler, Janus and Antelope, were at Gibraltar. The Janus was to sail for England with invalids, via Lisbon on the 17th to be paid-off.

HMS Firebrand – 18th July 1852 to 4th December 1852.

18th July – Joined HMS Firebrand, a 4-gun Wooden paddle frigate of 1842, commanded by Captain Edward Codd?
20th July – The Firebrand left Gibraltar with the Admiral’s despatches.
The ship was involved in commissariat duties for the Admiral Dundas’s fleet, running into Malaga and other Spanish ports for bullocks and fresh vegetables.
29th July – A ball was given on the Firebrand at Malaga, on behalf of the Admiral and officers of the British squadron.
20th August – The Firebrand arrived at Genoa, She left early the next morning for the south.
21st August – The ship arrived at Leghorn, coming from Marseilles. Captain Codd waited upon Sir Henry Bulwer the same day and sailed again on the 23rd for Naples and Malta.
26th August – The Firebrand arrived at Naples.
28th August – The Ship arrived at Malta from Messina, she left to join the Admiral with the fleet outside the harbour on the 4th September.
14th September – The squadron s reported to be off Syra, when due to the lack of wind, the firebrand took the Britannia and Albion in tow, which lasted until the 17th when the ships arrived in Vourlah Bay, in the Gulf of Smyrna, on the 19th. The squadron visited the Piraeus, leaving there on the 11th October, reached Corfu on the 19th.
20th October – The Firebrand leaving the squadron at Corfu, sailed for Malta, arriving on the 23rd. She is to sail for Gibraltar on the 24th, as the Governor of the fortress there has demanded a larger vessel to keep the Spanish “Guarda Costas” at bay.
6th November - The Firebrand was reported to be at Gibraltar, coaling and fitting to return to England to be paid-off.
23rd November – The ship arrived at Portsmouth. She then left for Woolwich. Arriving on the 27th, and was paid off on the 4th December,

HMS London – 5th December 1852 to 20th January 1856.

5th December – Joined HMS London, a 90-gun wooden sail of 1840, commanded by Captain George Rodney Mundy, until April 1853, then by Captain Charles Eden, Spithead, and the Baltic during the Russian War, until invalided in November 1854, then, Captain Lewis Tobias Jones, in the Mediterranean and from August 1855 by Captain Augustus Leopold Kuper, Mediterranean
4th December – Reported that the London at Sheerness, is short of her 850 complement. It was also reported that the ship is ordered to Spithead immediately.
11th December – The ship was inspected by Admiral Percy:”the crew being put through their gun exercise and sword practice”.
13th December – The London sailed from the Nore, under tow of the Cyclops for Spithead.
19th December – The ship arrived at Spithead, after being held up due to bad weather in the Downs.
22nd December – The London discharged her powder and shells and was towed into the harbour on the 23rd. She is to be docked and it is rumoured that she will be fitted with a screw.
28th to 30th December – The ship was docked at Portsmouth, for cleaning. She was then taken out of the Shears basin, to complete her fit in Portsmouth harbour. The ship is reported to be only half-manned.

January and February – The ship remained at Portsmouth, fitting and raising men
8th January – The London took up moorings off Gosport, she is expected to remain there sor some time.
14th March – The ship moved out to Spithead.
March and April – The London remained Spithead, raising men and exercising
16th April – Captain Charles Eden appointed to the command of the London. Captain Mundy having
resigned, due to ill health.
17th April – The ship sailed for a cruise in the Channel.
21st to 25th April – The London was in Plymouth Sound.
26th April – The ship returned to Spithead.
May –The London remained Spithead
11th May – Whilst practising shifting spars, a seaman (George Griffen), fell from the maintop and was killed.
22nd May – The London, Sanspareil and Highflyer, left Spithead for Plymouth, to join Rear-Admiral Corry’s squadron. The squadron left Plymouth on the 25th on a cruise.
11th June – The squadron arrived at Lisbon, leaving on the 12th.
20th June – The squadron was reported to be off Plymouth.
21st June – The squadron arrived Spithead, during the passage from Lisbon a fatal accident occurred when exercising towing. The Imperieuse steam frigate was ordered to take the London in tow. The tow was successfully rigged, but when towing commenced, the ringbolt holding the rope gave way and the rope and ring bolt “flew round with terrific violence”, killing Lieutenant Wellesley Pole Chapman, Charles Burreau (gunners mate), Richard Cottle, Robert High, Henru Bessiker (Ord/Seamen), James Beaner (Boy 2nd class) and John Levett (private RM), in addition another nine were severely wounded and one seaman George Lattimer, had his thigh, arms, and wrist broken, besides other injuries, may not live. On the same day, a marine jumped overboard from the London but the Highflyers boat picked him up in time to save his life.
July and August – The London remained with the fleet at Spithead, undergoing regular exercises.
11th August – Admiral Curry’s squadron took part in the Spithead Review.
30th August – The London was paid wages at Spithead, she is to join Admiral Corry’s squadron.
2nd September – The London left Spithead to join Admiral Corry’s Squadron.
10th September – The squadron arrived at Berehaven, joining Admiral Martins squadron there. The ships then began to move to Queenstown, with the London arriving there on the 13th.
31st September- The ships left Queenstown.
2nd October – Cork reported that the ships will be cruising ‘between Queenstown and Scilly until the 15th, when they were ordered to come into Spithead.
15th October – Admiral Corry’s squadron arrived at Spithead. The London is reported to take troops from Queenstown to the Mediterranean immediately.
5th November – The London left Spithead for the Mediterranean to join Admiral Dundas’s squadron.
27th November – The ship arrived at Malta, she left on the 2nd December to join the Admiral in Besika Bay.
December – Malta reported on the 2nd January that the London, Queen and Agamemnon had joined the fleet in Besika Bay.

3rd January – The fleet passed into the Black Sea.
6th January – The fleet anchored in Sinope Bay.
12th January – The fleet was off Sinope where they were safely moored on the 13th.
22nd January – The fleet returned to the Bosphorus.
24th March – The fleet left Besika Bay and entered the Black Sea, sailing for Varna.
27th March – The ship was at anchor off Kavarna.
8th April – The London and the Vengeance were dispatched to Varna but were recalled on the 10th.
17th April – The London sailed, she was reported off Odessa on the 24th, and with the fleet off Sevastopol on the 28th. Leaving on the 5th May, she was reported to be off Baltchik and on the 2nd June off Varna.
16th June – The London was towed by the Sidon from Varna to Baltchik (Balchik?), where she was reported to be on the 19th. She was then reported to be back at Varna on the 26th when the transport “Golden Fleece” sailed for England.
August – The ship spent off Baltchik, sailing on the 7th September.
12th September – Was spent off Eupatoria / Kalamita Bay.
26th September – The London arrived off Sevastopol.
17th October – In the bombardment of Sevastopol the ship suffered 4killed and 18wounded.
In his “Letters From the Black Sea” Admiral Sir Leopold George Heath, writes.
“October 17th. 1854 – Last night at 9 o’clock a letter from Lord Raglan to the Admiral arrived, requesting that the fleets should commence their work today. Conferences between the allied Admirals took place, and this morning all the Captains assembled on board the Flagship for discussion and agreement as to the plan to be pursued. We were told that when the Admirals had first agreed to offer the services of the fleets to the Generals it was arranged (and the document signed by them all was shown us), that the French should attack the batteries on the south side of the harbour and the English those on the north, and that a line drawn right down Sebastopol harbour should separate the two fleets. Our plan, therefore, was to put our steamers on the starboard side of the line of battle ships, and to tow down the north shore and anchor in our stations, but, according to Admiral Dundas’s statement, Admiral Hamelin had just been on board and proposed that he, Admiral Dundas, should sweep round to the southward, and then bring his ships up in succession, forming on the French van, and thus continuing the line as far on as it might reach, and Admiral Dundas foolishly agreed to this, giving us to understand that if he had not consented the French would have refused to engage the batteries at all. All the Captains said, “You agreed to leave the south side to the French, and not to anchor south of a certain line; surely you may bring your own ships into action in the way you think best.”
It was ultimately settled that “Agamemnon,” “Sanspareil,” and “London” (to which ship the “Niger” was lashed on the off-shore side) should go down according to the original plan; that the “Albion” should pay special attention to the Wasp Fort; and the remainder of the ships should follow the French plan. This separation of our ships, and a general order issued by Admiral Dundas, to the effect that everyone was to do as he pleased, caused our ships to be placed in a very irregular manner. However, our three got into action at half-past one, or so, and the “Albion” shortly afterwards; but those which swept round did not come into play until very late. Our fire was directed at Fort Constantine, and was continued about an hour-and–a-half very well and steadily. By that time the “Albion” had been set on fire and so knocked about by the Wasp Fort and some neighbouring guns that she was obliged to leave it, and the Wasp then began to sting us, so that Captain Eden directed me to steam on and took his ship out of fire. We were shortly afterwards recalled by the “Agamemnon,” but by the time we got back “Bellerophon” and “Queen” had taken our place, and there was such a crowd of ships and so much smoke that we could only get an occasional shot. Finding that I could only use the “Niger’s” long pivot gun, and that the “London” having landed two hundred men with the naval brigade, could not work all her guns, I offered Captain Eden the rest of my ship’s company and Dunn (the Niger’s Lieutenant) went with them and worked the “London’s” upper deck guns. This was rather a good coup for him; as I find now, what I did not know then, that the “London’s” senior lieutenants being with the naval brigade on shore, Dunn was actually the senior on board in the action; which may, I hope, help him to his promotion. The squadron returned to this anchorage after sunset but the “Rodney” grounded whilst still under fire and was with difficulty towed off by the “Spiteful” and “Lynx” without much loss.
In spite of Mr. Oliphant’s predictions, I could only make out that we had destroyed two of the Fort Constantine’s embrasures. The whole face of it as speckled with shot marks, and, taking the proportion of space covered by an embrasure, I should say four or five shells must have gone into each, and if so they must have lost a large number of men. I spent most of my time on the “London’s” poop. I have lost one killed and four slightly wounded; a few ropes were shot through, and two shot struck the hull, in spite of our huge protector. The “London” has four killed and eighteen wounded. The laurels of the day are decidedly due to the “Agamemnon,” “Sanspareil,” and “Albion.” The “Retribution’s” mainmast is shot away. We still hear the shore batteries at work, but I don’t know how they are getting on. Our three ships were about one thousand six hundred yards from Fort Constantine, the other English I should say a good two thousand; the French still further – much too far to hurt stone walls”.
14th November – The famous storm, that caused such destruction among the allied shipping, forced ashore several of the English and French Transports. On the 15th Volunteer boats from the London, Rodney, Queen and some of the steamers, with the Firebrand covering them, got under-weigh and pulled in to take off the sailors stranded on the beach/rocks. As they approached, Russian Troops (Cossacks) on the cliff above them opened fire and a man belonging to HMS Queen was killed. The Firebrand opened fire, driving the Russians away but the surf prevented the men on shore being rescued until the 16th, when they were brought off by boats from the Firebrand and other steamers.
November – The ship was detached to the Bosphorus.
November – Captain Eden relinquished command due to ill health.
18th November – Captain Lewis Tobias Jones appointed to replace Captain Eden.
December – The London was at Constantinople, to undergo repairs.
28th December – A report from the Black Sea Fleet informed, “The naval Brigade on shore has received a considerable addition. The Stormboli brought from Constantinople 400 sailors, 280 from HMS Queen and 170 from the London. They have been sent to Balaklava on board the Sanspareil.

January to April – The London remained at Constantinople.
27th January – A report from Balaklava informed that, Captain Hockings RM, had been sent back to HMS London for the recovery of his health.
5th February – A report, that Admiral F W Gray was at Constantinople with his flag in the London.
21st April – The ship sailed, being towed through the Bosphorus by the Oberon paddle steamer. She and the queen are to join Rear-Admiral Sir Edmund Lyons off Sebastopol with the fleet.
28th April – The London arrived at Sevastopol.
May to August – the ship was based at Sevastopol and men were landed to join the Naval Brigade.
13th August – Captain Augustus L Kuper appointed to the command of the London.
27th August – John Mulchay, AB of the London, serving in the Naval Brigade, dangerously wounded.
30th August – James Ward Ord. of the London also of the Naval Brigade, severely wounded.
7th September – Naval Brigade wounded from the London – William T. Godding, Ord., John Watts, Ord, and James Buckley, Ord. – and on the 8th, Alfred Cogger, AB and William Carter, AB.

End of September – The London, sailed for Constantinople .
6th October – The Examiner printed, “The lords of the Admiralty have granted Medals and gratuities for conspicuous gallantry in action to the under-mentioned men, John Taylor, captain of the forecastle of HMS London, in the trenches before Sebastopol, 18th June 1855-medal and gratuity of 15.00”. It also recorded the award to Joseph Trewavas.
9th October – The ship left Constantinople for England.
October and November – The London spent at Malta. She arrived at Gibraltar on the 27th December.

12th January – The London arrived at Devonport. On the 14th, the crew were inspected by the Commander-in-Chief (Sir William Parker) and she is gone from the sound into the Hamoaze, where she will be fitted with jury topmasts and yards for service as a store ship in the Baltic.
16th January – The ship was brought into the harbour to be paid off. She was paid off on the 26th.

HMS Pearl – 27th January 1856 to 16th June 1859.

27th January – Joined HMS Pearl, a 21 gun wooden screw corvette of 1855, commanded by Captain Edward Southwell Sotheby, Who had commissioned the ship on the 24th December for the Pacific and south American station (and as it turned out and in command of Ships Naval Brigade during the Indian Mutiny).
8th March – The Ship left Greenhithe for Portsmouth.
11th March – The Pearl arrived at Spithead and joined the Baltic Fleet. On the 18th she was docked and on the 20th took on coal.
23rd April – Was present in the Fleet Review. On the morning of the Review, a marine fell overboard and Lieutenant St Paul (a Prussian in British Service), immediately jumped after him, as the man, who could not swim was struggling in the water. Lieutenant Pimm of the Marines also dived in and the man was brought back on board.
30th May – Left Spithead and after calling in at Plymouth, left England on the 31st.
9th June – The ship arrived at Madeira, leaving on the 13th.
12th to 22nd July – Was spent at Rio.
8th to 13th August – The Pearl passed through the Straits of Magellan.
27th August – The ship arrived at Valparaiso.
28th October – The Pearl was reported to have arrived at Aspinwall?
8th December – The Monarch (the station flagship, Rear-Admiral Bruce), Pearl and Esk, arrived at Panama from Punta Aranes.

4th January – The Pearl left Panama for the South Pacific.
26th February – The ship was reported to be at the Chincha Islands, where she had relived the Tribune, protecting the guano trade.
24th March – The ship was reported as being at Callao, where it was advised that the mail/supply steamer ‘New Grenada’, had been stopped by two Peruvian gun-boats (the ‘Loa’ and ‘Tumbes’), who robbed her of thirty-two thousand dollars and goods that she was carrying. The Pearl sailed on the 25th, searching for the gun-boats, finding them on the 28th, at Lambayeque. The ships were captured and taken to Callco, arriving on the 31st.
5th April – The Pearl left Callao under orders for China.
9th May – The ship arrived at the Sandwich Islands (the Hawaiian Islands) and on the 10th, came into Honolulu harbour. They left on the 14th and on the 19th June arrived at Hong Kong.
10th July – The pearl was to leave Hong Kong for Amoy.
15th July – With news of the Mutiny in India the Pearl and the Shannon were ordered to sail for India and on the 16th the ships left for Calcutta. At Singapore, two companies of the 90th regiment were taken on board the Pearl. The ship arrived at the mouth of the Hoogly river and after finding a pilot, sailed and arrived at Calcutta on the 12th August.
Peel with his men from the Shannon, were almost at once off up-country with their guns. Captain Sotheby also volunteered his services and on the 12th September with 158 seaman and marines (the first part of the Pearls Naval Brigade), boarded the paddle-wheel steamer ‘Chundar’ taking with them one 12-pounder howitzer, one 24-pounder howitzer, and 24-pounder rockets, sailed up-country and on the 7th August arrived at Dinapore. At Dinapur it was found that no gun carriage suitable for the 24 pound howitzer could be obtained and the gun was left behind to be sent back to the Pearl. In lieu of the 24 pounder, an additional 12 pound howitzer and two 12 pound mountain guns were acquired. From here the brigade was ordered to Buxtar, to man the fort there, where they arrived and took up on the 10th.

16th October – A communication from Chuprah bearing this date stated, “The Authorities have possibly lost no time in providing for our defence against the Goruckpore rebels. The Goorkha regiment at Segowlie has been told off for the frontier, Captain Sotheby’s naval brigade is to hold the station and the armed ferry boat “Patna” will ply on the Gogra. After these excellent arrangements, we may justly banish all apprehension.”

24th October – A letter with this date from the HEIC steam gun-boat Jumna informed, “We left Ghazeepore yesterday morning and at 10 o’clock we banked the vessel at Buxar. Captain Sotheby. On HMS Pearl, fired two guns and showed signals for us to stop. He commands the fort at this place. We attended to his summons and received this morning a 12-pounder gun, ammunition, shot &c., as well as two officers, one surgeon, 11 marines, 43 seamen and four followers, all belonging to the Pearl. They were landed at Chuprah and it is intended to despatch us to-morrow to that place again, to convey to Buxar a number of Sikhs who will keep that fort and the remaining officer, seamen, &c., will be also brought down to Chuprah. The rebels are threatening that place and the people are in great fear.”

1st November – A letter extract from Sewan, “The Naval Brigade from Buxar under Captain Sotheby, from HMS Pearl, arrived here this morning, comprised of about 140 marines and seamen and four 12-pound howitzers, 100 more men (The rest of the Brigade) are expected.”
13th December – Due to a report that the rebels had attacked Goothnee, a force of seamen and marines with four guns and a detachment of Gorkhas, was sent to drive them out. The report later proved to have been over stated.
24th November – A letter from Calcutta reported, “HMS Pearl, 21, screw, Captain Sotheby and 280 men with 1000 Goorkgas are at Sewan, near Patna. There was a large body of mutineers within 12 miles of them.”
The Brigade was attached to the Sarun Field Force, of which, on November 27th, Colonel Rowcroft took command at Myrwa.
Battle of Sohunpore 26 Dec 1857 - The Brigade was attached to the Sarun Field Force, of which, on November 27th, Colonel Rowcroft took command at Myrwa. It first came into action with the mutineers on December 26th at Sohunpore, where an entrenched position was attacked, taken and the enemy (estimated at 6000) was dispersed. No one belonging to the Brigade was hurt.

11th January – The force arrived at Roodurpore (the website ‘pbenyon’ states “the Naval Brigade of the Pearl involved in event at Satassee, where they earned prize money for the capture of booty”). I am assuming that this refers to the local Rajah who had sided with the rebels, his property was seized and sold and a buried hoard of about 30,000 rupees was uncovered.
The Rev. E. A. Williams in his “The cruise of the Pearl” writes, “On the 22nd the force left Roodurpore and marched to Gowra, Rajpore Ghat on the 27th and Burhul on the 28th.”

By February 8th, 1858, the force arrived at Burhul, whence it moved up the Gogra in 150 boats, escorted by the small steamer Jumna, reaching Ghopalpur on the 10th.

Battle of Chanderpore 17 Feb 1858 - 130 Pearl's Naval Brigade, 35 Sikhs, 60 Gurkhas – By February 8th, 1858, the force arrived at Burhul, whence it moved up the Gogra in 150 boats, escorted by the small steamer Jumna, reaching Ghopalpur on the 10th; and on the 17th the strong fort of Chanderpur was captured by Captain Sotheby with 130 of the Brigade, 85 Sikhs, and 60 Gurkhas, acting in concert with the Jumna, which was under the orders of Second-Master John Fowler. Two guns were captured. The casualties on the side of the attack were insignificant, only about four people being wounded. On the evening of February 19th, Nourainie Ghat was reached. That night a fort on the Oudh side of the river was seized; and, on the afternoon of the following day, an attack was made upon a body of rebels at Phoolpur. After a gallant and well-sustained action, the enemy was driven from the field, with a loss of three guns. Two days afterwards, the Brigade recrossed the river by a bridge of boats which it had constructed. There had been some friction with the native allies; and it was deemed advisable to keep a British force to guard the rear of the advance, large numbers of rebels being reported in the vicinity of Fyzabad

THE EDINBURGH GAZETTE, APRIL 27, 1858 contained the following
Brigadier-General G. H. MacGregor, C.B., Military Commissioner, to the Secretary to Government with the Governor-General, Foreign Department. Allahabad, Camp, Pboolpore Manja, February 24, 1858.
I HAVE the honour to enclose for the information of the Right Honourable the Governor-General in Council, a copy of a letter from Colonel Rowcroft, Commanding the Sarun Field Force, giving cover to a Report from Captain Sotheby, R.N., commanding the escort of the fleet of boats for the bridging of the Gogra, of a most gallant and creditable affair between the enemy and the escort under the command of Captain Sotheby, which resulted in the capture of the strong fort of Ciundeepore, and the safe passage of the fleet.
I have, &c.,
G. H. MACGREGOR, Brigadier-General and MilitaryCommissioner.

Captain E, Sotheby, K.N., Commanding Naval Brigade, to Colonel Rowcroft, Commanding Field Force, Phoolpore.
Camp, Phoolpore, Feb. 22, 1858. Sir I have the honour to acquaint you, whilst escorting the fleet of 150 boats up the Gogra, I received information that the village and fort of Chandeepore, on the right bank, were strongly held by the enemy, who intended to resist the progress of the boats. I therefore landed on the 17th instant, at 10 A.M., two miles below, with the force named in the margin, to attack the fort and clear away all obstruction. Line being formed by the seamen, with a mountain howitzer in the centre, under Lieutenant Tumour, preceded by a strong body of marines and seamen as skirmishers, with supports of Seikhs and other seamen, under Captain Weston, 36th Regiment Native Infantry, and a reserve of Goorkhas, I quickly advanced through the thick cover and high growing crops, and passing through the village, found it deserted; but on emerging from it the skirmishers were received by a heavy fire of musketry and guns from men concealed in rifle pits, in the thick prickly jungle of bamboo which surrounded the fort. Captain Weston gallantly dashed forward, and whilst trying to force in the wicker gate, was badly wounded in the shoulder by a villain who had just implored mercy, and was carried to the rear. Mr Ingles, mate, then took charge of the skirmishers, and a good fire was kept up on both sides, our men getting shelter in the village. The gun was quickly pushed up within 100 yards of the entrance, and plied the jungle well with grape; at the same time I ordered Mr Fowler, in the Jumna, steamer, to advance and enfilade the fort with grape, which made it too hot, and the Goorkhas threatening the right flank, the rebels, being afraid of their retreat being cut off, fled through the jungle in the rear as we entered in the front, leaving behind them 2 guns, with spare wagon, ammunition, &c., and a quantity of silk dresses, silver-mounted swords, ornaments, money, &c., which evidently belonged to some influential men.
The action commenced at 11, and firing ceased at 12-15. The enemy is supposed to have been about 300, but probably not many killed, as they were perfectly concealed. Our casualties were 4 wounded, 2 severely. I did not attempt to pursue them from the smallness of my force, and the object being perfectly accomplished. Having passed up the fleet, I burnt the fort and adjacent buildings, withdrew the pickets, re-embarked on the steamer, and proceeded up the river, but it being dark, without a pilot, we shortly grounded, and remained exposed to the shore till the next morning. I have now much pleasure in bringing to your notice the cheerful manner of all under my command, and especially I beg to recommend to the consideration of the Commander-in-Chief the gallant conduct of that fine soldier, Captain Weston, whose temporary loss, from his severe wound, everyone in the camp most deeply deplores. Lieutenant Burlton, 40th Native Infantry, with his Seikhs, were as usual well forward, and the Goorkhas under Captain Davee Dass Opadeeah, rendered good service. I am also much indebted to Captain Reid, 37th Native Infantry, for his valuable service, who landed as a volunteer from his charge of the boats. Doctors Shore, R.N., and Wilson, Honourable East India Company's service, were in close attendance with the wounded.
It is nearly impossible to describe the strength of the fort, peculiar to Oude. Surrounded by a thick jungle of prickly bamboo, nearly impassable, with high banks; inside was a line of rifle pits and loophole breastworks, with a zig-zag path with gates leading to a second set, and in front of the fort were bastions with a sort of parapet, all loop-holed, a were all the other buildings in the place, all round which was thick cover.
The following officers were also present:- Lord Charles Scott, Mr Foot, Mr Stephenson, and Mr Cooley, Boatswain ; and the Jumna steamer, Captain Williamson, was well handled.
I have, &c., E. SOTHEBY, Captain, R.N., Commanding Naval Brigade.

Return of Casualties incurred in the Attack on the Fort at Chandeepore on February 17, 1858.
Royal Naval Brigade. John Whelan, Private, Royal Marines, severe gunshot wound of thigh.
Alfred Land, Private, Royal Marines, slight gunshot wound of leg.
E. SOTHEBY, Captain, Commanding Naval Brigade.
WM. JAs. SHORE, Assistant-Surgeon, R.N., In Medical Charge, Naval Brigade

Memorandum of Casualties, which occurred at the Capture of the Fort of Chandeepore on February 17, 1858.
Ramdull Regiment, Goorkhas.
Chas. S. Weston, Captain, 36th Native Infantry, severely, gun-shot wound of left shoulder
Bengal Police Battalion, Seikhs, Golab Sing, Sipahi, 2d Company, slightly; contusion of left thigh.
Wounded, severely, 1; slightly, 1 Total, 2.
Assistant-Surgeon in Medical Charge,
Ramdull Regiment, Goorkhas.
R. SOTHEBY, Captain Commanding Naval Brigade.

The Brigade marched to Amorha on March 2nd. Colonel Rowcroft was there informed that the fort of Belwa, seven miles further on, was occupied by the mutineers. In the afternoon, 168 men of the Brigade, with four guns, some 24-pr. rockets, 35 Sikhs, and a regiment of Gurkhas, moved to Belwa, and, being there joined by the Bengal Yeomanry Cavalry, 250 strong, opened fired on the fort at 5 p.m. The place, however, proved stronger than had been anticipated; and, when darkness came on, the whole force withdrew to the Yeomanry camp, and, on the day following, returned to Amorha. That night and the succeeding day the rebels received very large reinforcements, chiefly from Fyzabad, but also from Nawabgunge, Gondah, and elsewhere. The retirement from before Belwa had been interpreted as a British defeat; the Sarun Field Force, including the sick, was not then more than 1500 strong; and the mutineers, having collected many thousands of men and fourteen guns, were eager and confident. The little camp was, therefore, rendered as defensible as possible by means of an enclosing line of rifle-pits, and the clearing away of all jungle and houses which could shelter an advance. On the morning of March 5th, it was reported that the rebels were about to attack. The force thereupon moved out, and took up a position about half a mile to the west of the village of Amorha, with the Naval Brigade and four guns under Captain Sotheby in the centre, astride of the road, a Gurkha regiment and the small detachment of Sikhs on the left, and another Gurkha regiment on the right. On each flank was a squadron of the Bengal Yeomanry Cavalry. The enemy was in such force as to overlap the British force by at least a mile in each direction; and he came on in excellent order in rear of a cloud of skirmishers. The naval guns, under Lieutenant Turnour, opened, and were replied to by ten pieces. After an artillery duel which lasted for some time, Colonel Rowcroft threw out his skirmishers, and began a steady forward movement, which never ceased until the mutineers were driven from the field; for the cavalry, supported by the Gurkhas, cleared the foe from the flanks of the advance. As soon as it was evident that the enemy had been checked, Rowcroft reinforced his Royal Marines, who were in the skirmishing line, with a detachment of seamen, and pressed the foe all along his front. One of the first guns abandoned by the rebels was turned upon them, and worked by Lieutenant Grant, Assistant-Engineer Shearman, Midshipman Lord Charles Scott, and a seaman named Jesse Ward; and, as there was no port-fire wherewith to fire it, a rifle was discharged into the vent, and the retreating foe was plied with his own grape. A brilliant cavalry charge threw the left wing of the mutineers into confusion; and soon the entire body fled, leaving behind it eight unspiked guns. The enemy was pursued for six miles, and, making a brief stand at one point, killed Second-Master John Fowler (actg.) and one Gurkha. Heat and fatigue at length put a stop to the action, which had lasted from 8.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. The rebels had attacked with about 14,000 men and ten guns, and had been completely defeated, with a loss of about 500, by 1261 men, with but four guns. The Naval Brigade had 1 officer killed and about 15 people wounded.

17th April – The Naval Brigade took part in an action at the village of Thamowlee (Jamoulee or Jahmoulee) against an enemy estimated force of 2 to 3 thousand of which 200 to 300 were thought to have been killed.

Captain E. S. \Sotheby, Commanding "Pearl's"Naval Brigade, to Brigadier Rowcroft, CommandingField Force, Camp, Amorah.
SIK, Camp, Amorah, 26th April, 1858.
I BEG to acquaint you, after leaving you yesterday, in charge with Major Cox, of the Left wing and two small howitzers, we soon found the enemy, about 1,000, in position on the road, with two guns, and in the topes and villages on either side. A sharp fire was kept up by both parties; but as we advanced they retired, and pushing forward the skirmishers, they eventually retreated along the road, firing their guns occasionally; in doing so, having pursued them for two miles, and the heat being intense, we slowly retired about the same distance, when information was received that another body, with three guns, were firing on a small body of cavalry thrown out to watch our left flank. "We immediately moved towards them, and found, at about two miles off the road, a considerable force with the Rajah of Gonda in some topes and villages. After waiting about twenty minutes to keep up communication with you, I advanced with the howitzers, and after a few shots from the enemy they retired, fourteen dead bodies being discovered in their position. We rapidly advanced on them, when Captain Chapman, with a troop of Bengal Yeomanry Cavalry, moved quickly to the right to threaten their return to Belwa, when they precipitately retreated to the Gogra, and I understand many crossed. At it was useless pursuing any farther we halted, the men being much fatigued and many struck down by coup-de-soleil (Sunburn or Sunstroke), We then retired in order to join your party, when we observed you being in hot action with another body of the enemy, and had an opportunity of throwing a few rockets right into the tope where the enemy was and which appeared to hasten their retreat.
All the men and officers with the left wing behaved admirably, and though the enemy made very good practice with their guns I am happy to say we met with no casualties; the fatigue from the intense heat was most harassing. I beg to inform you of the officers on the field and strength of the Naval Brigade.
Lieutenant Tumour, with two howitzers.
Lieutenant Grant, with the seamen.
Lieutenant Pym, with the marines.
Mr. Ingles, mate, with the skirmishers, well advanced.
Mr. Foot, midshipman, with the other two howitzers.
Mr. Parkins, gunner, with rocket.
Mr. Burton, carpenter, early struck down with a coup-de-soleil.
Mr. Stephenson, my aide-de-camp, well forward with me.
Drs. Shore and Dickenson, assisted by the Reverend
Mr. Williams and Mr. Bowling.
Naval Brigade, 130.
Four small 12-pounder howitzers, two of them
Mountain Train.
I have, &c.,
E. S. SOTHEBY, Captain, R.N., Commanding "Pearl's" Naval Brigade.

29th April – (Nuggur - LG 1st July 1858) An attack on a body of rebels, posted at the village of Nuggur by a force under the command of Major Cox, 13th Light Infantry, (92 Naval Brigade; 150 of 3th Light Infantry ; 63 Bengal Yeomanry Cavalry ; 290 Goorkhas and Scikhs).
Lieutenant Grant in charge of the Pearls detachment of Seamen 67; Royal Marine's, 25; 2-12 pounder Howitzers and 1 24 –pounder Rocket tube
Lieutenant Grant reported;- The Force, left camp at noon, and after a hot march of seven miles, approached the west side of the town of Nuggur. A strong body of the 13th Light Infantry and Seikhs, were sent to clear the jungle on that side, while the rest made a detour round the north side. As they came up they were received by a sharp rifle fire from a thick bamboo jangle, and from what appeared to be a line of works inside.
The force opened fire from the guns at a distance of 500 yards on the town, and a tope of trees to the eastward of the place, where an outpost of the enemy was lodged, who were immediately driven in.
By the direction of Major Cox, I (Lieutenant Grant) shifted ground about 80 yards to my left front, and directing Mr. Parkins with the rocket to fire steadily at that portion of the town where the enemy seemed, in the greatest force. I kept up a steady fire of shell at the different posts held by the enemy. The marines and seamen, under Lieutenant Pym, were ordered by Major Cox to attack on the right, and by a simultaneous movement with the rest of the force, the town and old fort were carried, the enemy retreating through the bamboo jungle, were pursued to the banks of a large jheel at the back of the place, when all our men were recalled.
I believe upwards of 30 dead bodies were counted in the village, but many more must have fallen in the jungle from the rifle practice. Lieutenant Pym (Royal Marines) speaks very highly of the forwardness and activity of Mr. J. G. Shearman, Engineer; Mr. Foot, Midshipman, with the guns, was very zealous; and Mr. Parkins, Gunner, rendered considerable assistance and made good practice with the rocket.
Captain Sotheby in his report to the Admiralty added; “I am sorry to report my men and officers are much suffering from fever, being somewhat unprepared for so long a campaign and from their late harassing duties. This is the eighth time this field force has been in action and the Pearl’s brigade guns the only artillery attached to it and until very lately the brigade were the only Europeans. It is mose gratifying to report the good behaviour of the men, being now as good artillerymen and soldiers as formerly they were seamen”.

For some time afterwards the Brigade remained at Bustee, where it went into huts on June 13th. From Bustee, several small expeditions were made against detached bodies of the enemy. One of these expeditions, on May 31st, turned a party of mutineers out of a position near Amorha; and on June 18th, another party of more formidable strength, was defeated at Hurreah, but withdrew in good order.

30th June – The British press reported that the Queen had given orders for Captain Sotheby and Commander Vaughan to be appointed as Companions of the order of the Bath and Captain Sotheby is also appointed as an extra Aide-de-Camp to her Majesty.

On August 29th, a section of the Brigade, 50 strong, under Lieutenant Fawkes, with two guns, took part in an engagement near Lumptee, and did good and steady service; and on the same day, another section, under Lieutenant Turnour, also with two guns, assisted in repelling an attack on an outpost at Hurreah, and, following the enemy, routed him on September 1st at Debreah. On the evening of September 6th, Commander Grant, with 73 seamen and Marines, two 12-pr. howitzers, a 24-pr. rocket-tube, and a detachment of the 13th Regiment, left Amorha, with a view to relieving a small garrison of Sikhs in the friendly town of Bansee. At Gondah, Grant was joined by Captain Mulcaster, who arrived with a squadron of cavalry, and took command. Bansee was reached on the 8th, after a splendid march of 50 miles in 39 hours, the men being often up to their knees in mud, and sometimes up to their waists in water. Bansee was relieved only just in time, for the gallant Sikhs holding it had but three percussion caps per man remaining. From Bansee, the expedition which had been reinforced on the 10th, by Brigadier Fischer, marched on the 12th, reaching Doomureahgunge on the 13th and driving back a body of the rebels. The howitzers, under Lieutenant Ingles, were most excellently handled. On the 14th, an effort was made to catch a body of mutineers at Intwa; but the roads were so bad that the attempt had to be abandoned; and on the 17th, the expedition returned to Bustee. Another naval force, under Lieutenant Ingles, formed part of an expedition which left Bustee on September 27th for Bansee, and which, having crossed the Raptee, got up with, and dispersed, some mutineers at Mowee on September 30th, after most exhausting marches.

On October 1st, the outpost at Amorha, which included 50 of the Pearl's people, with two howitzers, under Lieutenant Fawkes, was attacked by about 1200 mutineers, with two guns. The enemy was repulsed, after Lieutenant Malay, who directed the howitzers, and four seamen, Lee, Williams, Rayfield, and Simmonds, had specially distinguished themselves.
On October 23rd, yet another expedition had to be despatched towards Bansee. On October 26th, when an insufficient British force was foiled in an attack on the jungle fort of Jugdespore, twenty-five miles north-west of Bustee.

In the middle of November, all the outlying parties were recalled, and the whole force left Bustee on the 24th for the northern jungle on the Nepal frontier, only a field hospital and guard remaining. A siege train had, in the meantime, arrived at Bustee, and had been handed over to the Pearl's people. On the 25th, Bhanpur was reached, and a Madras battery joined; and on the 25th, the force moved on to Doomureahgunge, where the rebels were very bloodily defeated, and a halt was made for some days, during which a bridge of boats was thrown across the Raptee, in face of a considerable army under Balla Rao, a near kinsman of Nana Sahib. On the evening of December 2nd, Brigadier Rowcroft learnt that another native force, under Nazim Mahomed Hossein, was six or eight miles up the river, intending to cross and join Balla Rao. On the 3rd, therefore, a detachment, which included 2 guns and 50 men of the Naval Brigade, under Captain Sotheby, went out to the attack, and found the rebels at Bururiah in a strong position. The enemy stood with unusual steadiness, until his flank was threatened; whereupon he retired and scattered, carrying off his guns. The detachment then returned to camp; and on December 5th, the Naval Brigade crossed the Raptee, the rest of the force soon following.
The movement was part of a concerted plan to encircle the shattered armies of the Begum, Lord Clyde being to the westward, Sir Hope Grant to the southward, and Brigadier Rowcroft drawing round from the eastward, while to the northward were the jungles of Nepal. A guard was left at the bridge at Doomureahgunge; and the remainder of the force marched to Intwa and camped there. The siege train, consisting of two 18-prs., one 8-in. howitzer, two 8-in. mortars, and two 5.5-in. mortars, arrived on the 18th and gave the Naval Brigade as much artillery as it could possibly manage. The mortars were entrusted to Lieutenant Pym, R.M. On the 20th, the force advanced from Intwa to Biskohur, in Oudh, and, on the 22nd, to Goolereah Ghat, five miles from Toolseepur, where the remnants of the enemy were collected in great force. On the 23rd, in concert with the army of Sir Hope Grant, the force crossed the Boora Raptee and attacked. Near the centre were the four naval guns and two 24-pr. rocket tubes, under Commander Turnour, Lieutenant Maquay, and Midshipman Root. The rest of the Naval Brigade, and the siege train, under Captain Sotheby, was as close up as the nature of the ground would admit. In about an hour and a half, the rebels were completely routed, though they carried off most of their guns, and although the pursuit was somewhat ineffective, owing to lack of enough cavalry to undertake it properly. The mutineers numbered about 12,000; the attacking force, which had but 4 killed and about a dozen wounded, only 2500.

29th December – The force marched to Puchpurwah, where on the 1st January 1859 orders were received from the Governor-General that the Naval Brigade should forthwith proceed to Calcutta, as the war was declared to be over.
The Surgeon noted, the Pearl's Naval Brigade was in action on 20 occasions and fortunately had but few casualties - one officer (W J Fowler) being killed and 27 men wounded. He also mentioned that on the 3 January 1859 the 'Pearl's Brigade' commenced their march to rejoin the ship at Calcutta - they marched from Pachawar on the border of the Napanl (Napal) Jungle, to Allahabad a distance of 220 miles, in 13 days which included one day halt at Fyzabad - they embarked on board the steamer 'Benares' at Allahabad on the 17 January.

On the 17th, while the naval brigade was at Allahabad, the Governor-General had a “Gazette extraordinary” published acknowledging “the brigade’s Excellent service which they had rendered to the state and thanking them for the valuable assistance which they had given to the army in Bengal”.

2nd February – The Brigade arrived back at Calcutta, where the seamen and marines, were entertained to a public banquet in the town hall.
13th February – The Pearl sailed from Calcutta to return to England. She called in at Madras and sailed again on the 26th.

ADM 101 /172 /2 – Folios 1-5 Copy of sick list.
Charles Gornell - AB - HMS Pearl - Folio 2: Charles Gornell, aged 24, Able Seaman; sick or hurt, syphilis; put on the sick list, 8 March 1859, discharged 28 April 1859 to duty.
Surgeon's noted, the Pearl's Naval Brigade was in action on 20 occasions and fortunately had but few casualties - one officer (W J Fowler) being killed and 27 men wounded. He also mentioned that on the 3 January [1859] the 'Pearl's Brigade' commenced their march to rejoin the ship at Calcutta - they marched from Pachawar on the border of the Napanl [Napal] Jungle to Allahabad a distance of 220 miles in 13 days which included one day halt at Fyzabad - they embarked on board the steamer 'Benares' at Allahabad on the 17 January [1859]

On the voyage back to England, the Pearl called in at Trincomalee, The Cape of Good Hope and
St Helena.
7th June – 1859 The Pearl arrived back at Spithead.
16th June – The Pearl was paid off. Three long service medals with gratuities were awarded to;-
James Irvine, Quarter Master, John Clark, Quarter Master and William Barrett, Captain of the Hold. Also six Good-Conduct gratuities were distributed among the Crew.

N A reference ADM 101/172/6 – A list of men killed or wounded in Pearls Naval Brigade
Folios 7-9: the following is a list of men killed or wounded in the Pearl's Naval Brigade, between 12th September 1857 and 2 February 1859, in actions at Sohunpore, Chandeapore [Chandapore] and Phoolpore, Belwa - Amorha (March 5th), Nugger - Amorha (October 1st), Jugdeerpore [Jugdispore] and [Doomureahging?]. Also includes Surgeon's notes relating to the Pearl's Naval Brigade.
Folio 7: William Mears, Private Royal Marine, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, slight gunshot wound of hand by musket ball; date of wound 26 December 1857, discharged 27 December 1857 to duty.
Folio 7: Charles Chaffer, Private Royal Marine, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, slight splinter wound of hand by musket ball; date of wound 26 December 1857, discharged 27 December 1857 to duty.
Folio 7: Henry Snow, Gunner Royal Marine Artillery, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, slight gunshot wound of finger by musket ball; date of wound 26 December 1857, discharged 27 December 1857 to duty.
Folio 7: John Whelan, Private Royal Marine, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, severe flesh wound of thigh by musket ball; date of wound 17 February 1858, discharged 26 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 7: Alfred Land, Private Royal Marine, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, flesh wound of leg by a grape shot; date of wound 17 February 1858, discharged 23 February 1858 to duty.
Folio 7: Hugh O'Donnell, Private Royal Marine, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, flesh wound of leg by a musket ball; date of wound 20 February 1858, discharged 22 February 1858 to duty.
Folio 7: John Brown, Able Seaman, Pearl's Naval Brigade; nature of wounds or injury, contusion of thigh by a grape shot; date of wound 20 February 1858, discharged 23 February 1858 to duty.
Folio 7: Jesse Ward, Captain Fore Top, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, contusion of shoulder by a spent grape shot; date of wound 2 March 1858, discharged 4 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 7: Thomas Mahey, Captain of Mast, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, fresh wound of leg by a musket ball; date of wound 2 March 1858, discharged 3 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 8: John Franze, Able Seaman, Pearl's Naval Brigade; nature of wounds or injury, contusion of thigh by a spent grape shot; date of wound 2 March 1858, discharged 5 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 8: Mr John Fowler, 2nd Master, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, extensive laceration of chest, comminution of ribs and struck by round shot; date of wound 5 March 1858, killed 5 March 1858 on the spot.
Folio 8: Isaac Ringwood, Able Seaman, Pearl's Naval Brigade; nature of wounds or injury, severe fresh wound of thigh struck by musket ball; date of wound 5 March 1858, discharged 20 April 1858 to duty.
Folio 8: Henry Front, Ordinary Seaman, Pearl's Naval Brigade; nature of wounds or injury, slight fresh wound of thigh struck by musket ball; date of wound 5 March 1858, discharged 21 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 8: John Maddock, Ordinary Seaman, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, severe contusion of chest struck by musket ball; date of wound 5 March 1858, discharged 11 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 8: George Penfold, Able Seaman, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, severe contusion of foot by overturned gun; date of wound 5 March 1858, discharged 7 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 8: Luke Howarth, Leading Stoker, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, contusion of thigh struck by a spent grape shot; date of wound 5 March 1858, discharged 6 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 8: Charles Thomas, Yeoman of Signal, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, flesh wound of finger struck by musket ball; date of wound 5 March 1858, discharged 6 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 8: James Lambert, Captain of Main Top, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, slight flesh wound of leg struck by spent grape shot; date of wound 5 March 1858, discharged 6 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 8: Griffith Roberts, Ordinary Seaman, Pearl's Naval Brigade; nature of wounds or injury, slight flesh wound of finger struck by musket ball; date of wound 5 March 1858, discharged 6 March 1858 to duty.
Folios 8-9: Surgeon's noted, the Pearl's Naval Brigade was in action on 20 occasions and fortunately had but few casualties - one officer (W J Fowler) being killed and 27 men wounded. He also mentioned that on the 3 January [1859] the 'Pearl's Brigade' commenced their march to rejoin the ship at Calcutta - they marched from Pachawar on the border of the Napanl [Napal] Jungle to Allahabad a distance of 220 miles in 13 days which included one day halt at Fyzabad - they embarked on board the steamer 'Benares' at Allahabad on the 17 January [1859]', The following is list of 5 men who received pension certificates.
Folio 8: Isaac Ringwood, aged 32, Able Seaman; pension granted on 2 February 1859; nature of injury, severe gunshot wound of thigh in action at Amorha on 5 March 1858.
Folio 8: Charles Cloak, aged 24, Able Seaman; pension granted on 2 February 1859; nature of injury, gunshot wound of thigh in action at Nugger on 29 April 1858.
Folio 8: John Lee, aged 25, Able Seaman; pension granted on 2 February 1859; nature of injury, severe sabre wound of arm in action at Amorha on 1 October 1858.
Folio 8: John Simon, aged 31, Leading Seaman; pension granted on 2 February 1859; nature of injury, severe gunshot wound of knee in action at Jugdispore on 26 October 1858.
Folio 8: Jacob Hymes, aged 27, Able Seaman; pension granted on 2 February 1859; nature of injury, fracture of right tibia extending into ankle joint received while dismantling a gun on 4 October 1857.
Folio 9: Philip Moan, Ordinary Seaman, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, flesh wound of arm struck by splinter; date of wound 5 March 1858, discharged 8 March 1858 to duty.
Folio 9: Charles Cloak, Able Seaman, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, flesh wound of thigh struck by musket ball; date of wound 29 April 1858, discharged 7 July 1858 to duty.
Folio 9: John Lee, Able Seaman, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, severe sword cut of arm in personal encounter with a Sepoy; date of wound 1 October 1858, discharged 28 October 1858 to duty.
Folio 9: William Rayfield, Leading Seaman, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, contusion of elbow struck by a butt end of musket; date of wound 1 October 1858, discharged 3 October 1858 to duty.
Folio 9: Joseph Williams, Stoker, HMS Pearl; nature of wounds or injury, wound of arm bitten by a Sepoy; date of wound 1 October 1858, discharged 4 October 1858 to duty.

The actions in which the Pearls officers were involved can be traced through the Gazette entries as well as the Rev. Williams “The Cruise of the Pearl”. Unfortunately a problem exists, the actions involving the ships other ranks, as the full Naval Brigade was not always present in every action and in many instances, small naval groups with other members of the field force were involved in various actions.

This seems to be the end of Charles Gornell’s naval service.
19th September 1859 – Charles Josiah Gornell married Lucy Andrews in the parish church in the parish of St Mary’s Newington, Surrey, his profession being recorded as that of a Seaman.
January 1861 – The Death of Charles Josiah Gornell was recorded at Greenwich and in January 1862 the death of Charles Gornell (his son?).
Might these two deaths be the result of his contracting syphilis?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GORNELL 1.JPG (231.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg GORNELL 2.JPG (242.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg GORNELL 3.JPG (58.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg GORNELL 4.JPG (43.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg GORNELL 5.JPG (60.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HMS LONDON (2).jpg (116.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HMS PEARL.jpg (97.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by davidrn : 12-10-2017 at 13:39. Reason: to complete post
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 15:14
jbryce1437's Avatar
jbryce1437 jbryce1437 is offline
Forum Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Roker, Sunderland, England
Posts: 9,050
Default Re: A Crimea & Mutiny pair to HMS London and HMS Pearl

Great work David, nice to get a flavour the work he did to earn his medals.

Old Ships: Raleigh 1963, Collingwood 63, Ark Royal 64, Collingwood 67, Undaunted 68, Porstmouth FMG 70, Exmouth 72, Victory 1974 as JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL. Then 28 years in the Fire Service
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 16:24
davidrn's Avatar
davidrn davidrn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pembroke
Posts: 1,402
Default Re: A Crimea & Mutiny pair to HMS London and HMS Pearl

Thank you Jim, I still go back looking at them. I was lucky as the American collector who had them was very generous to let them go.

Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 11:07
Jan Steer's Avatar
Jan Steer Jan Steer is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cilgerran, Pembrokeshire, Wales.
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: A Crimea & Mutiny pair to HMS London and HMS Pearl

Well done Dave. An extraordinary tour de force and an astonishing story.
Best Wishes
Jan Steer
Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 12:24
davidrn's Avatar
davidrn davidrn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pembroke
Posts: 1,402
Default Re: A Crimea & Mutiny pair to HMS London and HMS Pearl

Thank you Jan, glad you seemed to have enjoyed it.

Regards Dave
Reply With Quote

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 31st January 1922 : HMS Colossus : Cdr. K.N. Humphreys in Command

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Letters from the Crimea qprdave Crimean War 4 19-12-2014 18:26
A Pair of Aces by Ivan Berryman kc Aviation Art 0 24-07-2013 14:47
A Midshipman in the Crimea Commodore Armiger Crimean War 14 05-02-2013 00:17
A Pair Of Nordenfelt Machine Guns sandy1000 Modelling Forum 7 15-07-2012 05:57
A Pair of Battleships Don Boyer Modelling Forum 39 03-03-2010 22:41

All times are GMT. The time now is 23:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.