World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval Books > Naval Book Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naval Book Forum Discuss naval books here.

Old 25-07-2017, 12:27
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

"Fighters over the Fleet: Naval Air Defence from Biplanes to the Cold War" by Norman Friedman.

A densely-packed 460 pages. Currently about halfway through and finding it most illuminating.

Bigger Guns, MORE POWER!

Old 25-07-2017, 16:48
Vice Commodore

Just got hold of a copy of the 2000 FAA book, "Fly Navy". A remarkable compendium of "from the cockpit" stories from the 1945/2000 period, many by people I knew well. Nostalgic, impressive and re-conjours the pride all of us with anything to do with the FAA should feel.
Old 26-07-2017, 01:42
Petty Officer

Currently reading Andrew Gordon's "The Rules of the Game"; been meaning to for some time but have only just got around to it. Not sure I completely buy his central "Authoritarian vs Autocrat" thesis; while it might have some truth I doubt that it is as critical as he implies and in any case it doesn't take account of the effect of small ship and independent command on the mindset of at least some of the commanders of the day. Nor do I necessarily believe that the 5th BS turning to the north after the BCF a bit late was the reason for the lack of a decisive British victory - although to be fairl I'm only half way through so that may not be where he ends up. Old news to many I suppose but of interest to me.

Just got the latest volume from the NRS as well, a new "Naval Miscellany". Looking forward to that.
Old 30-07-2017, 11:34
Vice-Admiral

Have just started re-reading Master and Commander - had forgotten how detailed and absorbing it was. There is no way we could put ourselves in those situations, I find the descriptions amazing.

Edna
Old 06-08-2017, 17:53
Rear-Admiral

Excellent set of Books, I have read everyone and listened to them.
Here are a couple of pictures of the Surprise that played the part of the ship in the movie, and one of the Captains Cabin, she is in the Maritime History Museum in San Diego, we did a tour of her, very interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS_Surprise_SanDiego_20160425_01.JPG (1.65 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg HMS_Surprise_SanDiego_20160425_02.JPG (1.57 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HMS_Surprise_SanDiego_20160425_03.JPG (1.29 MB, 11 views)
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Old 07-08-2017, 11:59
Vice-Admiral

Thanks, Barry, I enjoyed your comments!

Edna
Old 17-08-2017, 22:31
Admiral

Exclamation Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

FOR INFORMATION - NAVAL AVIATION - GUY WARNER

I am not reading any of Guy Warner's book's but thought that any member interested in naval aviation might be interested in some details about him. The following was picked up on Facebook:
This event is taking place as part of the HMS Caroline Lecture Series.
Events are £12 each or three events for £30 and includes exclusive after hours entry and lecture series admission.
Historian Guy Warner tells the story of one of the first aircraft carrier pilots in the world, Jack McCleery, a Belfast born First World War pilot whose wartime diaries, letters and photographs were rediscovered and are now the subject of a book.
About the speaker:
Guy Warner is a retired schoolteacher and former MOD civil servant. He is the author of twenty eight books and booklets on aviation past and present and has written hundreds of articles for magazines in the UK, Ireland and the USA.
Pre-booking is essential.

See - https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.n...ed&oe=5A1CBD97
Old 24-08-2017, 19:20
Captain

1. Barracuda Pilot. Author Dunstan Hadley. Publisher Airlife Classic ISBN 1-84037-225-7. 2000 Edition. Really informative and full of character.
2. Arctic Convoys, 1941 - 1945. Richard Woodman, with a foreword by Admiral of The Fleet Lord Lewin.Publisher John Murray (Publishers) Ltd, 1994. ISBN 0-7195-5079-3. This is a re-read, a book that 'demands' to be picked up and read again and again.
Old 31-08-2017, 21:08
Admiral

Just finished "Tin Hats, Oilskins and Seaboots" an absolutely wonderful book by Commander (Ret'd) Latham B. Jenson, RCN.

It recounts his adventures from his joining the RCN in 1938 until the end of WWII.

He describes his training with the RN (in Erebus, Frobisher and Vindictive) and then his early wartime service in Renown, Matabele and Hood. He left Hood just four months before her tragic loss.

He returned to Canada in September 1941 for service with the RCN, survived the sinking of HMCS Ottawa in September 1942 and continued serving in a number of Canadian ships until war's end.

He remained in the RCN until retiring in 1965.

He was an extremely talented artist and the book is lavishly illustrated with his pen and ink drawings.

Highly recommended reading for any Canadian members, but also a great read for anyone else!

ISBN 1-896941-14-1
Published by Robin Brass Studio, Inc
Toronto, 2000
Old 02-09-2017, 06:03
Admiral

Just started reading The Life and Death of the Luftwaffe by Werner Baumbach (commander of Germany's bomber forces at the end of WW2) [1949].

It tells the story from the start of the clandestine re-building of air combat capabilities in the 1920s through the end of the war, focusing on the bomber arm.

Baumbach was an outspoken critic of mistakes made by Germany's leaders, and kept his position only by being too good a leader and commander to be dismissed. His book reflects that non-ideological viewpoint, and deliberately works to de-romanticise aerial warfare.

Baumbach died in 1952, at the age of 36, on an experimental flight in Argentina (he had been granted permission to emigrate from Germany in 1948).
Old 02-09-2017, 06:39
Admiral

Jimmy Doolittle's biography "I could never be so lucky again" which is absolutely riveting, he lead the raid on Tokyo after Pearl Harbour, headed up the air force in North Africa for Op. Torch, and was flying from the first days of aircraft. A fascinating insight to the growth of American air power (slow and sceptical) from the era of WW1 to post WW2.
tim L
Old 02-09-2017, 16:33
Rear-Admiral

Tim,

If you haven't read it I recommend "The Aviators", this includes Doolittle, Rickenbacker and Lindbergh, it certainly changed my attitude towards Lindbergh.

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/bo...9781426213694/
Sunny Ocala FLA USA

Old 03-09-2017, 06:34
Admiral

thanks Barry, there are many references to "Slim" Lindbergh in Doolittle's book, I will get this. Thanks. Just ordered the Tin Hats book ....
tim
Old 03-09-2017, 06:45
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim lewin View Post
thanks Barry, there are many references to "Slim" Lindbergh in Doolittle's book, I will get this. Thanks. Just ordered the Tin Hats book ....
tim
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did Tim.
Old 07-09-2017, 19:33
Admiral

DESTROYERS

In Action with Destroyers 1939–1945 (J A J Dennis)
Pre-order from Pen & Sword Books at the introductory price of £15.99 (https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/In-Action-with-Destroyers-19391945-Hardback/p/14189)
A superbly written and exciting eye-witness account of the war at sea from 1939 to 1945. There can have been few, if any, naval officers who saw so much action as Alec Dennis, who served in four destroyers; HMS Griffin and Savage initially before commanding Valorous and Tetcott. While too modest to admit to it, he was mentioned in Despatches three times (Norway, sinking the Schnarhorst and in the North Sea) and awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (Greece 1942). His war service also included the important but little known Madagascar operation, the Malta and Arctic convoys and D-Day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D'S.jpg (69.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 05:36
Admiral

"Tin Hats..."

I had a long talk to my Canadian veteran friend, Capt. Rolfe Monteith, yesterday, a very active 93. I asked him if he had known Cdr. Latham Jenson. Of course! he told me, he was a very popular officer, a natural extrovert, known to all as "Nobby" Jenson, always sketching. The sketching part is obvious as his book is highly illustrated with his work. The book is fascinating, now even more so after Rolfe has filled in some of the human details.

Very many thanks Tim for recommending...

Tim L
Old 12-09-2017, 10:44
Vice-Admiral

I have recently been re-reading "One Wren's War", an account of Margaret-Munday-Whitaker's wartime experiences, as told to Irene Burkett.

She lived in the Isle of Wight and was lucky enough to be based there (HMS Medina and HMS Osborne), so she can describe civilian as well as service experience. She tried to enlist at 16, but was not accepted, so she trained in accountancy and re-applied aged 18 and was accepted, and was involved in the pay arrangements for the numerous naval groups on the Island.

The dual view of this period is very interesting.

Edna
Old 12-09-2017, 17:47
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim lewin View Post

"Tin Hats..."

I had a long talk to my Canadian veteran friend, Capt. Rolfe Monteith, yesterday, a very active 93. I asked him if he had known Cdr. Latham Jenson. Of course! he told me, he was a very popular officer, a natural extrovert, known to all as "Nobby" Jenson, always sketching. The sketching part is obvious as his book is highly illustrated with his work. The book is fascinating, now even more so after Rolfe has filled in some of the human details.

Very many thanks Tim for recommending...

Tim L
You are quite welcome Tim - so glad you enjoyed it.

Had always heard him referred to as "Yogi" Jenson (the origin of which nickname he mentions in the book), so the nickname "Nobby" is new to me.
Old 14-09-2017, 05:50
Admiral

yes, I think Rolfe was confusing himself re nickname, but certainly they knew each other.
thanks
tim
Old 05-10-2017, 17:31
Admiral

THE FORGOTTEN WAR OF THE ROYAL NAVY

I am not reading this book yet but I thought some members might like to.

The Forgotten War Of The Royal Navy (Michael Glock)
This book covers the little known period of naval warfare in the Gulf of Finland, sparked by the German intervention in Finland and Estonia in early 1918 and evacuation of the Baltic Fleet through ice to Kronstadt. Through the entire year 1918 the Soviet forces were preparing their bases in Kronstadt and Petrograd. The attack of the German fleet was expected, but it was too busy in operations in the west and the forces assigned to attack on Kronstadt proved to be too weak. When the German Empire was defeated on the Western Front and the country was engulfed in revolutionary flame, British forces as well as sporadically American and French ships appeared in the Baltic Sea. By the end of the year the Soviet fleet tried to attack Tallinn, which ended in capture of Soviet destroyers, which were then handed over by the British to Estonia.
All the ships involved are described and illustrated with full technical specifications. Profusely illustrated with scale drawings (side views) and illustrations of the ships. Rarely documented aspect of World War I and post-war naval history. In 1919 the operations consisted in active blocking of the Soviet fleet by the Royal Navy and supporting land fighting. The peace treaty signed in 1920 in Tartu effectively ended hostilities in this area. This document sanctioned and confirmed the independence of Finland and Estonia for the next nineteen years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THE FORGOTTEN WAR OF THE ROYAL NAVY.jpg (37.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 12:06
Vice-Admiral

Hans Goebeler "Steel Boats, Iron Men" - this is my son's current read; he is so absorbed I have sneaked a peak at the first chapter, and I can understand. I look forward to him passing it on to me. Has anyone encountered it already?
Old 07-11-2017, 16:50
Captain

Hi Y'all

Well three months have passed so I started reading a pair of books:

1. The U-Boat Hunters - The Royal Canadian Navy and the Offensive against Germany's Submarines. Auth. Marc Milner, Pub. 1994, Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-854.2.

2. RCN in transition 1910-1985, Edited by W.A.B Douglas, Published by University of Vancouver, 1988. ISBN 0-7748-0312-6.

The U-Boat Hunters is a compelling read with some fascinating information and discussion about the technical side of ASW and the relationship between the RN, RCN, and RNR/RNVR officers of both navies. I had started reading the 'RCN in transition' but put it down as it was rather akin to attending lectures at college (all those years ago), but took it up again in light of reading the U-Boat Hunters. It still remains rather dry, and particularly so on the section discussing the creation of Unified Forces in Canada, with the RCN morphing to the Maritime Command. Still reading that paper! If I remember correctly the RCN has just been re-born, correct me if I am wrong. Look forward to completing this read right through, though patience and perseverance is required.
Old 07-11-2017, 18:45
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Williams View Post
Hi Y'all

Well three months have passed so I started reading a pair of books:

If I remember correctly the RCN has just been re-born, correct me if I am wrong.

Hugh:

Sadly (for some of us!), we reverted to our colonial past in 2011, when Maritime Command reverted to its previous colonial title of the "Royal Canadian Navy."
Old 11-11-2017, 20:25
Rear-Admiral

Ships and Sealing Wax and Many Things

Just started this one written by my old run ashore oppo Roger (Whacker) Paine, on Victorious 1957 - 1960.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076HC75..._KqV-zb98RKMRE
Sunny Ocala FLA USA

Old 17-11-2017, 15:17
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednamay View Post
Hans Goebeler "Steel Boats, Iron Men" - this is my son's current read; he is so absorbed I have sneaked a peak at the first chapter, and I can understand. I look forward to him passing it on to me. Has anyone encountered it already?
I have just finished reading this book and found it very enlightening. As a civilian, I do not comprehend all the technical stuff, but his work on the personalities and action periods is absorbing, and his assessments of the background are worth reading.

His description of periods in Lorient, Brest and Bordeaux shed light on the work the RAF was doing to prevent submarine maintenance, but his account of the sabotage by dockworkers is particularly explicit.

Edna

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 11th January 2005 : HMS Cornwall : Devonport