World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Military History > Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Any other topic on military history covering ancient and medieval battles and any other related topics

Old 28-08-2010, 19:29
Leading Seaman

Default Prisoner of War Lists

Has the Times or any other source any lists for the HMS Bedouin, Gloucester, Glow Worm, Havock,Hereward and the Sikh?
I have partial lists and are willing to share accordingly.
Best regards Ian
Old 10-12-2010, 15:14
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: Prisoner of War Lists

Ian, here are a couple - what dates were `your' ships lost ??

FRENCH Ronald C L/Tel P/JX 137186 HEREWARD

HAINES Noel T J Marine PLY/X 3218 GLOUCESTER

They do not show up in list `POW German Occupied Territories'.

Sadsac
Old 28-01-2011, 19:54
Leading Seaman

HMS Havock 06/04/1942
HMS Hereward 29/05/1941
HMS Bedouin 15/06/1942
I have found the others just the above especially the Havock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best regards Ian
Old 28-01-2011, 20:06
Vice Commodore

Ian i assume from the thread title that you are interested in prisoners of war from the ships you list , a member of my family was RNVR and he was in a German prison camp i found this out from a link on the Forces Reunited web site though it gave me no information regarding the ship that he was from
Nigel
Old 11-02-2012, 21:41
Ordinary Seaman

Ian, If you are still researching HMS Sikh, my Nan tells me that my Grandad was on B gun on Sikh when it was sunk. His name was Jim Nolan, or Ginger. I'm lead to believe that a book was written about the boat with its name changed to HMS Skye, called lower deck by John Davies. If you have any info, please can you pass it on via the thread or email. Thanks, Gregg.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by immcleod View Post
HMS Havock 06/04/1942
HMS Hereward 29/05/1941
HMS Bedouin 15/06/1942
I have found the others just the above especially the Havock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best regards Ian
looking for Charles Walther in Laghouat camp from 11/04/1942 any info would be welcome
Old 03-05-2014, 16:36
Ordinary Seaman

Ian. I've been trying to get in contact with you to get an update on the crew list for HMS Havock. I think you have my email address otherwise contact me through this forum.
Regards
David Goodey
Old 11-06-2014, 05:53
Vice-Admiral

Gregg - I have a POW J. NOLAN Corporal R.M No. EX1870 POW No. 6159 Camp No. 18A.
Quite what / where Camp 18A is / was located I do not know.

Perhaps this is `your' Nolan ??
Do not know re Sikh & B Gun - Marines `mostly' served X & Y Turret.

DAVID ; if you are looking for a POW I can only go by name & if they were German POW.

Sadsac

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 15th January 1939 : HMS Gallant : Sailed Gibraltar for Alexandria. Then returned to Gibraltar

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

USS Maddox engaging North Vietnamese torpedo boats with 5-in gunfire, August 2nd, 1964, in the Gulf of Tonkin.

USS Maddox by Randall Wilson.
Half Price! - £35.00
Viewed across the damaged stern of the 80-gun San Nicholas, Nelson drives HMS Captain onto the Spanish vessel in order that she can be boarded and taken as a prize, the British marines and men scrambling up the Captains bowsprit to use it as a bridge. The San Nicholas then fouled the Spanish three decker San Joseph (112), allowing Nelson and his men to take both ships as prizes in a single manoeuvre. A British frigate is moving into a supporting position in the middle distance.

HMS Captain at the Battle of Cape St Vincent by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £575.00
Midday, 21st October 1805, and Admiral Collingwoods flagship, the 100-gun HMS Royal Sovereign, breaks the allied line and delivers a shattering broadside on the Spanish flagship Santa Anna. Making great speed, Collingwoods ship had breached the Franco-Spanish line some distance ahead of the rest of his van and the Royal Sovereign suffered heavily as she quickly drew the attentions of three French and three Spanish ships. To her starboard, the French Indomitable can be seen firing into the British flagship while, astern of the Santa Anna, Belleisle and Fougueux are engaging ahead of Mars, Monarca and Pluton.

The Battle of Trafalgar - The First Engagement by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £325.00
 A splendid little war was how John Hay, ambassador to Britain, described the Spanish-American war of 1898. Though the war was small in scope it was large in consequences; it promoted the regeneration of the American Navy and the emergence of the United States as a major world power. Fought primarily at sea, the war created an American naval legend in its opening encounter between the pacific squadrons of Spain and the United States at Manila Bay on the 1st of May 1898. At sunrise Admiral Dewey, leading the American fleet in his flagship the USS Olympia, had caught the Spanish fleet, under Admiral Patricio Montojo, by surprise - still anchored off Sangley Point at Manila Bay in the Philippine Islands. Defeat for the Spanish was total and heralded the end of a once extensive Spanish empire in the Americas. Montojos flagship, Reina Cristina, is seen here under fire from the Olympia.

The Battle of Manila Bay by Anthony Saunders (Y)
Half Price! - £62.50

B105AP.  HMS Fearless by Ivan Berryman.

HMS Fearless by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
B114.  HMS Carmania sinking the German armed liner SS Cap Trafalgar off Ilha da Trindade, South Atlantic. 14th September 1914.  By Ivan Berryman.
HMS Carmania sinking the German armed liner SS Cap Trafalgar off Ilha da Trindade, South Atlantic. 14th September 1914. By Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 The allied invasion of Normandy Operation Overlord was the greatest sea-bourne military operation in history. Key to its success and at the heart of the invasion were the Landings of the British 50th division on Gold beach and the Canadian 3rd Division on Juno beach. They provided a vital link between the landings of the British 3rd Division on Sword beach and the Americans on Omaha and Utah beaches. They were also crucial in securing the beachhead and the drive inland to Bayeux and Caen.
Glosters Return by David Griffin (Y)
Half Price! - £40.00
B0344P. Bismarck Leaving Port†by Jason Askew.
Bismarck Leaving Port†by Jason Askew. (P)
Half Price! - £340.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

The legendary Welsh rugby union captain Gareth Edwards is brought to life in the triple portrait. Gareth Edwards is revered in Wales and considered one of the finest players ever. in part of the montage he is shown going over for a try against England.
Gareth Edwards by Darren Baker. (Y)
Half Price! - £75.00
MC0041P. Blitzkrieg by Mark Churms.

Blitzkrieg by Mark Churms. (P)
Half Price! - £1250.00
SP4.  Desert Orchid by Mark Churms.

Desert Orchid by Mark Churms.
Half Price! - £35.00

Lennox Lewis by Peter Deighan.
Half Price! - £50.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Soldiers aboard a Merlin helicopter over Helmand Province, Afghanistan, 2010.

Soldiers Over Helmand by Graeme Lothian. (P)
Half Price! - £1000.00
 Paratroopers of the 1st Battalion sort their kit out and get ready to enplane the waiting American Dakota C-47s of the 14 and 59 Squadrons/61st Troop Carrier Group.  The paratroops took off simultaneously from Saltby and Barkston, commencing at 1121.  All planes were in the air by 1155.  A relatively uneventful trip over the northern route to the Netherlands resulted in not a plane being shot down; only five were slightly damaged.  The 1st Battalion were dropped at 1403, 2nd Battalion at 1353 and the 3rd Battalion at 1356, all at DZ-X, west of Wolfhezen some eight miles west of Arnhem.  The Battalion orders were for three different routes to the Arnhem Bridge.  1st Battalion took the Leopard route, 2nd Battalion Tiger route and the 3rd Battalion Lion route.  Only the 2nd Battalion, commanded by Lt colonel John Frost managed to fight their way to the bridge.

Market Garden. Arnhem by Graeme Lothian. (P)
Half Price! - £1800.00
 Douglas C47 Dakotas fly into the landing and drop zone at Renkum Heath, September 17th 1944.

Arnhem by Simon Smith (Y)
Half Price! - £30.00
 The Sopwith Dolphin was a radical departure from previous Sopwith design philosophies, embodying a reverse-stagger on the wings, a water-cooled Hispano-Suiza engine and an unusual, but highly popular positioning of the cockpit which gave the pilot unprecedented views. One exponent of this purposeful looking machine was Canadian Major A D Carter who claimed many of his 31 victories flying the Dolphin. He is shown here sending an Albatross to the ground on 8th May 1918 whilst flying C4017. Carter was himself shot down soon after became a prisoner of war. He was killed in 1919 whilst test flying a Fokker D.VII at Shoreham, Sussex.

Major Albert Carter by Ivan Berryman. (GL)
Half Price! - £350.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Panzer v Ausf. D Panthers of SS Panther Division Das Reich make their debut during the initial stages of the German summer offensive for Kursk. This unit with others of the SS Panzer Korps made the deepest advances into the well-prepared Soviet lines. Complete success however, was to elude them when outrunning their supporting divisions at Prokhorovka they were forced to halt for six days.

Operation Zitadelle by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 Jagdpanthers of 654 heavy Tank Battalion engage 6th Guards Tank Brigade Churchills.
Debut at Caumont, Normandy, 30th July 1944 by David Pentland. (D)
Half Price! - £70.00
 Having made contact the previous evening with troops of 4th Infantry Division pushing inland from Utah Beach, paratroopers of the 101st Airborne division The Screaming Eagles help mop up the pockets of German resistance in their general advance towards Carentan.

Screaming Eagles in Normandy, 7th June 1944 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
<b>Ex-display prints in near perfect condition. </b>

Lance-Corporal Harry Nichols, 3rd battalion Grenadier Guards, winning the Victoria Cross at the River Escaut, 21st May 1940 by David Rowlands. (Y)
Half Price! - £20.00