World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 04-11-2013, 20:30
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: National Historic Ships: HMS Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart150 View Post
I don't know about that. The news reports earlier in this thread talk of turning her into a 'floating museum' about among other things the industrial heritage of Belfast. This sounds like something very different from a restored/conserved ship such as Warrior, Victory, Belfast.

There seems to be an issue of philosophy here, not just funding.
Warrior is a good example to follow in some respects. Almost all her guns are fibreglass.
Steve
Old 07-11-2013, 17:23
Crossed the Bar

Steve

I agree. It doesn't matter what material is used as long as she looks as she should - as a WW1 cruiser. The removal of the 'hut' would be a step forward.

Mel Quick
Old 07-11-2013, 19:32
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelQuick View Post
Steve

I agree. It doesn't matter what material is used as long as she looks as she should - as a WW1 cruiser. The removal of the 'hut' would be a step forward.

Mel Quick
Is there any talk of this being done or will she definitely be "restored" as she has looked in recent years??

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 07-11-2013, 22:00
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
Is there any talk of this being done or will she definitely be "restored" as she has looked in recent years??
I would be honest,the amounts mentioned appear to be peanuts.Thats what concerns me,it will be enough to patch her up,but not enough to "preserve"her.If she is to be saved then she needs to be in Portsmouth,Greenwich or Devonport, not Belfast.

It will end up in tears…..
Old 07-11-2013, 22:10
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualF View Post
I would be honest,the amounts mentioned appear to be peanuts.Thats what concerns me,it will be enough to patch her up,but not enough to "preserve"her.If she is to be saved then she needs to be in Portsmouth,Greenwich or Devonport, not Belfast.

It will end up in tears…..
Is HMS Belfast at any of those? Why Greenwich? Caroline could be sorted out somewhere else and taken back, as happened to HMS Belfast and Warrior or Trincomalee.

Jim
Old 08-11-2013, 12:15
Lieutenant-Commander

No HMS Belfast isn't in any of those 3 places…

However it is slap bang in the middle of one the most famous cities in the world!Seeing as the Pool of London is occupied by HMS Belfast I put Greenwich in plus that Greenwich has the National Maritime Museum.

As for Trimcomalee…I bow to those with greater knowledge than me but I would have thought that the upkeep of a wooden vessel is probably cheaper than a steel one.She also had a 10 year restoration which should keep her in good nick for a good few years yet.

Jim,

Personally I would prefer her to be in Portsmouth because whilst the Historic Dockyard is fab,its exhibits and history timeline seem to stop with HMS Warrior (I know that the "M" class monitor is present but there is very little said about her.Ok you have the "Explosion" museum is at Priddys Hard but its a bit of a trek to get to with kids!.HMS Caroline could fill that gap beautifully.

Having said that all I really care about is HMS Caroline,she is a unique survivor of great historical importance and I want to see her have a secured future.If Belfast can do this brilliant,but £800 000 quid isn't that much and I suspect that she would need much more than this if she was to be given a proper overhaul.Her best chance is to have a good revenue stream,now if Belfast can get a decent Titanic experience going perhaps they stand a chance.

My concern is that she ends up like HMS Plymouth and the museum that was in Liverpool.

Regards Matt

Last edited by VirtualF : 08-11-2013 at 12:20. Reason: Spelling!
Old 08-11-2013, 21:01
Forum Moderator

Fair enough, I just thought that you were overlooking the fact that Belfast has a long history in shipbuilding and many of those skill would be available locally.

Jim
Old 09-11-2013, 09:39
Rear-Admiral

I don't see why she should not stay where she is. Maintaining and presenting an historic warship is not just a matter of somebody getting her to look right, whatever method is decided on, but there is the ongoing efforts to fundraise, advertise and continue the maintenance. This is best done by enthusiastic volunteers.
All of the cities mentioned above have a good number of people very busily and successfully looking after the vessels they already have, and moving Caroline to one of them will only spread the effort, and goodwill, more thinly in those locations.
I appreciate the idea that visitors will be able to visit a greater range of ships in one visit to, say, Portsmouth, but transport is relatively easy these days, and information is readily available via computer.
Additionally the restoration of Caroline in situ may allow local enthusiasts to use her as a basis for further local historic presentations.
Steve
Old 09-11-2013, 16:55
Admiral

Agree in full Steve ....... people accept Portsmouth as the home of Historic Ships but they are getting full and if visiting you need a week to get round all of them in depth [have tried].

Leave her in Belfast - taking her age she is looking better than the Plymouth now so that must say something for the care she already receives.

Dave H
Old 09-11-2013, 17:38
Sub-Lieutenant

I don’t know about anyone else but my priority is to see Caroline restored to her WW1 state. If she stays in Belfast it seems that won’t happen. The people behind the campaign in Belfast have much grander ideas.

Such as these for example given on http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/peti...n-belfast/4425

• Tourist attraction – further enhancing the maritime experience currently being witnessed in Belfast through the Titanic Experience.
• A Shared Naval Experience – presented as a memorial for both men and women from Northern and Southern Ireland, who lost members of their families during both WW1 and WW2. Currently, there is little evidence of RN Memorials available to the public in Ireland. It should also be remembered that during WW2, VCs were awarded to sailors from Tipperary and Belfast.
• It is also hoped that the current HMS Caroline Drill Space could be utilised as a lecture room or for private functions and exhibitions.
The Irish Government has also been contacted and is keen to help in the promotion of a North/South memorial ‘Shared Naval Experience’ for all men from Ireland who served in WW1

My father’s first ship was HMS Cleopatra. He joined her aged 16 just before the Armistice and spent the next couple of years in the Baltic. Cleopatra was identical to Caroline. If Caroline was fully restored, I’d love to go aboard and walk around, perhaps on a dark November afternoon with nobody else about.

But if the people running the Belfast campaign get their way I might well go aboard and ask the guide ‘Where would those with the rank of boy have eaten and slept?’, and I’d get the reply ‘Ah we didn’t restore that part. We put the multimedia lecture hall there instead.’

Bart
Old 09-11-2013, 18:19
Admiral

Nicely put Bart ........ my Dad in Law joined in Plymouth as a Stoker and was sent to Belfast to Caroline to do his training during WWII - he was HO but always remembered Caroline if not fondly.

I think she should be Ireland Based as you say as a tribute to both North and South Committment.

Dave H
Old 16-10-2014, 14:02
Admiral

Exclamation Re: National Historic Ships: HMS Caroline

UPDATE(S) - GOOD NEWS !

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-30666311.html

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/reg...seum-1-6359263

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/def...seum-1-6359278
Old 16-10-2014, 18:00
Forum Moderator

That's good news and it's nice to learn that a lot of her original infrastructure is still intact.

Jim
Old 16-10-2014, 18:06
Admiral

Good news indeed - and well done to all those who have worked so hard to ensure that she will be preserved.
Old 21-10-2014, 18:32
Able Seaman

I've started a page on FB 'Save HMS Caroline' which will be updated regularily with photos of her restoration. Caroline Comrades will have some too
Old 23-10-2015, 18:04
Admiral

JUTLAND
Please scroll down regarding Caroline
http://www.centenarynews.com/article...rst-world-war-
Old 23-10-2015, 20:29
Forum Moderator

Whilst this link is very interesting, may I please remind members that posts with simply a link, and very little, if any, information, precis, background as to what the link is about are generally discouraged.

It is appreciated that there is often a very valid reason for referring members and visitors to other sources of information. The problem is that links inevitably become broken due to people updating and closing sites. This has the potential for rendering the contribution pretty much worthless with members just being confronted with the dreaded "Internet Explorer cannot find this page".

Please be warned that posts with just links may be removed without notice.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 27-10-2015, 18:03
Sub-Lieutenant

It appears that the UK Border Agency has seized around 20 tonnes of endangered Latin American cedar which they offered to the NMRN who in turn passed it on to the HMS Caroline restoration project. It will be used to re-deck the ship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34652365
Old 13-04-2016, 11:11
Admiral

Battle of Jutland tribute to transform Belfast street 100 years on

Mural to Irish sailors killed in WWI clash will transform graffiti black spot

By Linda Stewart

Published 13/04/2016

The Battle of Jutland was fought off the coast of Denmark

A graffiti black spot off Belfast's Shankill Road has been transformed into a memorial to the First World War's most important sea battle.

First Minister Arlene Foster is due to launch the Jutland Square project on Friday - an art installation commemorating more than 300 sailors from all over Ireland who lost their lives at the Battle of Jutland, the centenary of which falls on May 31.

The project, commissioned by the City of Belfast Army Benevolent Fund at the Spectrum Centre, consists of a seven-panel artwork on a wall at Tennent Street.

There will also be an exhibition on board HMS Caroline, the only surviving warship from the battle, which is due to open to the public as a museum this year.

The art installation will be Ireland's first Battle of Jutland memorial to feature a list of all the Irishmen who lost their lives in the naval engagement, along with diary extracts charting the course of the clash with German warships between May 31 and June 1, 1916.

The project will also feature a series of community film and lectures about the battle, delivered by Sea Cadet Officer Lt Cdr Leslie King.

Pete Bleakley from the Shared History workshop said the British lost the battle, with more than 5,000 casualties compared to 2,500 on the German side - yet it was the battle that won the war.

"The significance of the battle is that the Royal Navy was the most powerful navy in the world at the time. It was blockading German ports and stopping imports of food and steel, slowly strangling the German war effort," he said.

"After the battle the German Navy did not come out of their ports again to full-scale engage - there was no appetite for a second encounter."

By the end of the war the German sailors were not being fed nor paid and a series of mutinies led to the full-scale collapse of their navy. "We didn't win on the day, but we gave the German Navy enough of a hiding that they didn't come out to fight again," Mr Bleakley said.

Some 348 Irish sailors died in the sea battle, many of them young boys who had joined up at the age of 15.

"This is the first memorial to all the sailors from these shores who died at the Battle of Jutland. It lists all the names, all the ships on one board. Another focuses on HMS Caroline and includes photographs and diary extracts from the battle.

"There is another set of boards focusing on the four or five large battle cruisers that exploded when they were shelled, with catastrophic loss of life.

"In some cases, more than 1,000 men were lost when the ship exploded. The only people who survived were up in the crow's nest and were blown clear. The British ships were really just big metal coffins with explosives in the middle," Mr Bleakley added.

The display will go up in a section of car park that has been plagued with graffiti, close to the Spectrum Centre.

"These aren't sectarian or paramilitary murals. They are designed to remind the PUL (Protestant, unionist, loyalist) communities of their history and culture," Mr Bleakley said. "Having run the Friends of HMS Caroline campaign back in 2012, it gives me considerable satisfaction to be able to bring the story of the ship and the Battle Of Jutland to a wider audience through this exciting NIHE-funded project."

Karen O'Rawe from History Hub Ulster, which conducted research for the memorial, said: "The Jutland Square Project is a timely reminder of the sacrifice of so many men from these shores who fought at sea. The maritime war and the impact of it on our island tends to be overlooked, but as an island nation, keeping the seas safe and the supplies flowing to feed the people of Britain and Ireland was vital.

"Belfast will mark the centenary of the Battle of Jutland with a commemoration to the Irish sailor, which will officially recognise the contribution of all those in maritime roles on the island of Ireland during the First World War period."

HMS Caroline is a light cruiser docked in Alexandra Dock and currently undergoing a £14.5m restoration, funded by Heritage Lottery Fund and Department for Enterprise, Trade and Investment. It will open to the public on June 1. First Minister Mrs Foster has been a supporter of it since the Friends Of HMS Caroline campaign in 2012.

The commemoration to the Irish sailors in the First World War will take place on May 31. HMS Caroline will provide a focal point for the proceedings.

From - note additional photos -
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ar...-34622037.html
Old 29-05-2016, 17:23
Admiral

HMS Caroline

Songs of Praise - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...raise-29052016
came from HMS Caroline this evening. It contains both video taken onboard and footage & photos from the Battle of Jutland etc.
Old 31-05-2016, 12:03
Lieutenant

There's an interesting and quite up-to-date documentary on the HMS Caroline restoration in the BBC iPlayer.

HMS Forester (1942 Refit)
Old 31-05-2016, 15:42
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
There's an interesting and quite up-to-date documentary on the HMS Caroline restoration in the BBC iPlayer.
See also: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-34759314.html
They have done an awful lot in a short time.
Old 02-06-2016, 00:19
Admiral

The short video certainly shows how much Caroline has been rejuvenated in a short period of time. She is a fitting tribute to those who built her and those that sailed in her.
Brian
Old 30-10-2016, 22:47
Admiral

ON FACEBOOK

Hope you can view HMS Caroline 1914 who have added 28 photos and 3 videos of her recent move?

At: https://www.facebook.com/HMS.Carolin...c_ref=NEWSFEED
Old 31-10-2016, 17:21
Vice Commodore

Nice to see the work starting. Lovely long elegant hull.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 20th January 1916 : HMS B3 : Lt Colin Mayers In Command