World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 06-07-2012, 20:06
Able Seaman

Default Re: National Historic Ships: HMS Caroline

Have a look ant HMSCaroline.com I've put a few photos of Caroline and her sisters on the new web site. Some from her time in India.
Old 06-07-2012, 20:09
Able Seaman

Latest update on Caroline

DEPARTMENT OF ENTERPRISE, TRADE AND INVESTMENT

5 July 2012

HMS Caroline in Belfast should stay in Belfast - Foster

Tourism Minister, Arlene Foster has met with the Ministry of Defence to discuss options for keeping HMS Caroline in Belfast.

The Minister, accompanied by Nigel Dodds MP and Northern Ireland, Minister of State, Hugo Swire met with Andrew Robathan, Minister for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans in London yesterday.

Arlene Foster said: “This was a positive meeting and we impressed upon Mr Robathan the need to keep HMS Caroline in Belfast. Over the past year I and my officials have been trying to find a solution to this issue working in partnership with the Museum of the Royal Navy. Last summer I asked for an appraisal of options for the ship to be undertaken and this work was completed in January of this year. The report concluded that whilst there were significant funding challenges there were real benefits to restoring the ship here in Belfast.

“HMS Caroline has been berthed in Belfast since 1924 and is an important part of our maritime heritage. In its current location beside Titanic Belfast, the ship offers a unique opportunity to further develop tourism in Titanic Quarter. Already, more than 200,000 people have visited Titanic Belfast since it opened at the end of March. I believe HMS Caroline could play an important role in attracting even more visitors to the area.

“Following the meeting I now intend to write to the Museum of the Royal Navy and hope to meet with them soon to progress this matter.”
Old 07-07-2012, 09:58
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutlands Last View Post
Have a look ant HMSCaroline.com I've put a few photos of Caroline and her sisters on the new web site. Some from her time in India.

Sorry I could not find them. All I got was some sort of activity stream??

Could you not upload some of them here for us to see?

I am sure many of our members would love to see them.

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 11-07-2012, 16:55
Lieutenant-Commander

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18367687

I'm happy. I think she stands a far better chance in Portsmouth than Belfast.She also IMHO "fills a gap" in the historic dockyards collection.....

Pity there wasn't a post war frigate to finish of the collection...
Old 12-07-2012, 14:02
Lieutenant

There are some nice photos of Caroline from deck level at www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk.

Just enter 'Caroline' into the search box and, when you get a small photo of her, click on the photo to go to the HMS Caroline page. There's photos from the deck, down below in the wardroom and a very nice b&w image of her running at high speed. It looks like she's on her builders' time trials.

HMS Forester (1942 Refit)
Old 31-07-2012, 17:58
Able Seaman

Decision on HMS Caroline has been delayed for another month as funding has been found for the same period. ministers are still debating the issue!!
Old 02-08-2012, 23:39
Admiral

Default Re: Save Our Ship HMS Caroline

Derry bid for veteran war ship

Published on Friday 29 June 2012 10:38

A Derry businessman wants a 100 year-old Royal Navy cruiser moored on the River Foyle.

Tom Bradley, of Derry City Scientific Ltd., has written to Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster suggesting that HMS Caroline could be located at either Fort George or the Peace Bridge.

The ship served during both world wars and is currently docked in Belfast.

Following the vessel’s decommissioning in March last year, the British Ministry of Defence (MoD) agreed in principle to gift HMS Caroline to the National Museum of the Royal Navy.

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Owen Paterson, has also held discussions about HMS Caroline with Arlene Foster but, to date, all talk has been of retaining the ship in Belfast.

Last month, Mrs Foster stated: “I have been working for some time now to find the best solution for HMS Caroline and have met with various stakeholders who are also keen to have HMS Caroline retained in Belfast.”

However, Tom Bradley has come up with a novel idea suggesting the ship should be relocated to Derry to highlight the north west’s unique naval heritage.

He said: “From Newbuildings to Culmore Point, there is nothing we can put our boots on that marks our impressive maritime heritage. Compare this to the millions spent on Belfast’s maritime heritage which is the proper way and rightly so.

“Being able to put our boots on the boards of the Caroline docked at the Fort George jetty would remedy this - not to mention the millions the city would earn from maritime heritage tourism.”

Mr Bradley is adamant Derry would be the ideal location for the ship. In his letter to the Minister, he says: “Because of the city’s strong but unsung naval history and the massive tourism spin off, may I suggest letting us adopt this recently decommissioned warship on completion of your talks with the navy folk.”

source DerryJournal

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 11-10-2012, 17:58
Able Seaman

Great news for HMS Caroline & Belfast

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-norther...dium=twitte r
Old 11-12-2012, 16:43
Able Seaman

HMS CAROLINE: CALLING ALL THOSE CONNECTED TO HER!
An appeal has been issued by the National Museum of the Royal Navy for anyone connected to the World War One HMS Caroline to make contact. The NMR
N is currently compiling an oral history of the ship and its many different functions and duties throughout the 99 years of its life.

HMS Caroline, the last remaining floating survivor of the 1916 Battle of Jutland, received a stay of execution last month when the National Museum of the Royal Navy and the Northern Ireland Department for Enterprise Trade and Investment agreed a plan to restore, preserve and exhibit the ship in time for the 100th anniversary of Jutland.

NMRN Director General Professor Dominic Tweddle says he is delighted that the Caroline is officially being gifted to NMRN by the Ministry of Defence and that the ship is staying in Belfast.

“Many of us breathed a huge sigh of relief and following our collective efforts to rescue this magnificent piece of history we want to bring Caroline back to life and collect as many stories from relatives of those who served on her and possibly actual veterans themselves,” he says

Tourism Minister Arlene Foster welcomed the appeal. She said: “HMS Caroline is a strong and distinctive part of Belfast’s Titanic Quarter and it is important that the full story is told. So many people from different walks of life will have had a connection with the ship, whether themselves or through a family member, during the 99 years of its life. If these memories can be recorded, they will add to what is already a rich tapestry of maritime history in Northern Ireland.”

Anyone with any relevant information is invited to contact the National Museum of the Royal Navy through the Friends of Caroline organisation by emailing Pete Cochrane : email: soopacoopa67@sky.com or Pete Bleakley: email: pete@bigdukesix.co.uk

Last edited by Jutlands Last : 11-12-2012 at 17:11.
Old 11-12-2012, 16:44
Able Seaman

Last week we found a Veteran who served onboard HMS Caroline during WW2, he's 92 and his whole family have connections with Caroline. We 'Friends of Caroline' hope we can arrange a meeting with him and hopefully a film crew will record the event.
Old 11-12-2012, 17:16
Able Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
Sorry I could not find them. All I got was some sort of activity stream??

Could you not upload some of them here for us to see?

I am sure many of our members would love to see them.
have you tried recently, let nme know as i'm admin for the site
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20
Admiral

OK, when I use that URL I get a page on your website with the page name "activity stream", which shows the most recent posts on the board.

However, I clicked on the "home" link, then on the "photo" section, which got me to many threads wherein members have posted photos of her.

I was unable to view the photos because I was not signed up to the board, but all does seem to be in order otherwise.
Old 20-12-2012, 23:19
Admiral

Exclamation Re: National Historic Ships: HMS Caroline

H.M.S. CAROLINE

Some good news updates ~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/news/hms_caroline

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/news/news486.php

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/l...for-the-nation
Old 14-01-2013, 17:21
Vice Commodore

Have just seen from Portsmouth Historic Dockyard elsewhere on line that BBC One's The One Show on Tuesday evening 15 January (7pm?) should be featuring HMS Caroline.
Old 15-02-2013, 07:19
Vice Commodore

Earlier this week I posted my father's WWII Service Record from which I notice that he was with HMS Caroline from 16th March to 19th April,1943, I assume on some crash update RADAR course before joining HMS Asturias April 20th.I recall him saying that he was in Belfast and believe he had sailed from there earlier on the Arctic convoys to Murmansk (HMS Northern Wave).We talked about the former Royal Mail liner Asturias some while back, and how she was torpedoed by an Italian submarine enroute back from South America to be towed by tugs to Sierra Leone.

dsl
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15
Admiral

There is an excellent collection of pictures in the Telegraph defence section showing the condition of HMS Caroline as she lies in Belfast.

Brian
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38
Banned

FEB 3rd 2013

A National Heritage Memorial Fund grant of just over £1 million will go towards urgent preventative work to secure HMS Caroline.

An application for more funding is being made in order to proceed with full restoration of the 446 ft ship.

jainso31
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...storation.html
Old 05-03-2013, 13:14
Admiral

Jim: Full restoration of HMS Caroline will require serious money and retieval of lots of artifacts.

This was the same situation as experienced with HMCS Sackville. She had been highly modified as an oceanographic research vessel and was converted back to her end of World War II cofiguration. The globe was scoured for equipment and the 2 Pdr AA gun came from the Irish Navy and one of its retired corvettes.

Brian
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49
Admiral

However, the last official statement I saw said that the "full restoration" of HMS Caroline would NOT restore her WW1 configuration.

Quote:
As the vast majority of her service was as a training ship that is how she will be preserved and restored.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:56
Crossed the Bar

Jon

You are absolutely right. I would very much like to see the hut removed and the external view of the ship completely restored to original.

The Caroline class cruisers were fine looking ships and that hut seriously detracts from her present outline.

Mel
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22
Admiral

I agree with you Mel, here is a link to a painting I did of her and Furious
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum...6&d=1342452653
Jim
Old 06-03-2013, 13:06
Crossed the Bar

Jim

Very good painting - it shows off her sleek lines to good effect.

The hut that was built on her, which I accept was carried out for practical reasons, should now be removed.

Mel
Old 11-03-2013, 13:16
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
However, the last official statement I saw said that the "full restoration" of HMS Caroline would NOT restore her WW1 configuration.
A great pity IMO.

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 12-03-2013, 01:26
Admiral

Terry: I would have thought that restoration of the ship from midships forward to World War I condition and retention of the midships aft section in the training configuration would make for retention of the history of the ship in her two very different roles.

Brian
Old 12-03-2013, 06:32
Admiral

So do I... and it would greatly reduce the amount of older material that would need to be found/reproduced.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 22nd January 1940 : HMS Beagle : In the Dover Strait